Notices

(Not So) New - Frank's Thread Part 2

Old 08-25-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
Reading this thread prompted me to watch 'Born Into This' again. I remember watching it a long time ago and thinking what a complete a'hole....but seeing it again, I just felt really sorry for him.
That is a great doc film. And I think I shall watch it again. And you are quite right, it does make you feel sorry for him. Self-destructive genius.

As you know I collect quotes. Here is one of my fave from Bukowski: " Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

If you are interested in documentaries you should track down 'Crumb'. Fascinating.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Glad those anti depressants are beginning to work Frank
They are, I think. As evidence of that I am not quite as withdrawn and am posting here.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
Frank, I'm pretty concerned about you now that I hear you say you rarely eat and have lost a lot of weight. You are malnourished so it's no wonder you feel so low emotionally and spiritually. I hope to God you are taking a potent daily multivitamin at least. A low vitamin D level will make you REALLY depressed. Spend time out in the sunshine. Another great source of V-D. (Oh no! VD.)

Seriously though, merely not drinking isn't going to fix all that ails you. You need to replenish all that your body was deprived of while drinking all those years. Please do something to help in that way. Ensures, Boost, etc. And a really good multivitamin, but not on a totally empty stomach.

It will do far more for your mood than any antidepressant. Please take care of yourself.
Well, I'm concerned too Miss Cissy. I just can't force my myself to eat, and I've tried, just to take on fuel. I force myself to drink an Ensure (Isn't that for old folks?) first thing in the morning, and then consume little after that. A bite here and a bite there. Oddly the only thing that is appetizing is smoked oysters. Go figure.

Consult Dr. Google and it would seem to point toward kidneys. But my lab tests were perfect and today I had an ultrasound on kidney, liver, and aorta (I have no idea why Doc ordered the aorta). All perfect. Just can't eat, even when I try.

At his point I've lost close to 50 lbs in recent months. Wasting away to Mini-Frank. I think I carried that extra 50 lbs pretty well, but I be lookin' darn good now. (!)

Just need to eat.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
Do your best

Go frank ! What about chicken soup
Old 08-25-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Shite! I just realised. It's probably the antidepressants. I remember losing heaps of weight one time when I first started them. It's quite a common side effect. You just go right off your food for a few weeks, then it comes right. I looked like a stick figure by the time I came right. That will be $1000, thank you :-)
Old 08-25-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Shite! I just realised. It's probably the antidepressants. I remember losing heaps of weight one time when I first started them. It's quite a common side effect. You just go right off your food for a few weeks, then it comes right. I looked like a stick figure by the time I came right. That will be $1000, thank you :-)
(((Shabby)))!

Except 40 of those 50 lbs. were before starting on Cymbalta. I want my $1000 back.

How are you?
Old 08-25-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Oh, okay. Scratch that bill.

I'm pretty good except I've got behind on my work. I'm allowing myself half an hour more on SR and then I have to do it. I'm sick too, for the second time this winter. We've had really bad viruses over here this year. How is your Mum?
Old 08-25-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Sounds familiar.

At age 32, you can have more years of sobriety ahead of you than a lot of us. It was at about that age, maybe a little older, when I made the transition to more drinking at home alone than with others. Trust me, it is a Russian roulette all its own.

Because I'd become a closet drinker, there aren't many people in my life who know I'd become an alcoholic. It is every bit as dangerous, maybe more. And, yeah, the point when one bottle isn't enough is a sad wake-up call, one I ignored.

I'm the same, not many people know I'm an alcoholic, the other day I went out with a friend and she suggested we get a bottle of wine over dinner, I said I was taking a break from alcohol, she said " why? You don't even drink that much?"
Little does she know.....
Old 08-25-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrankLapidas View Post
You should patent that. Get sober, sleep with an Irishman!

Did you make it out of bed today?
I did! I shouldn't have though, today has been a gong show and I'll probably be working until midnight.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Jsbodhi - I can see how that would be potentially more dangerous. At least it's a lot less embarrassing. It's awful making a complete fool of yourself many times over and living with associated regrets.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Oh you're probably right! My friend did too!

I hope you can eat soon Frank! Thats a ton of weight to lose?!! Could it be a combination of the lack of calories from booze too? I've heard quite a few people lose weight when they quit drinking, maybe a mixture of all those things.
Hopefully things level out for you
Old 08-25-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Frank , Stopping alcohol will make you lose weight ,I'm sure you know that ?
Being stressed out can wear on your body , almost like working out - to cause weigh lose . I had an Aunt that lost quit a bit of weight , getting "stressed & tired "no appetite .. Emotions can really mess up the body !
Oysters & any sea food packed with good nutrients , eat more of that.
Sometimes when I know I really need to eat & can't I think of things . I haven't had in a long time to get my Hunger juices going LOL
Old 08-25-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Jsbodhi - I can see how that would be potentially more dangerous. At least it's a lot less embarrassing. It's awful making a complete fool of yourself many times over and living with associated regrets.
I've totally made a complete fool of myself because of alcohol, just not so much lately because I just stay at home and drink alone- I have to leave little notes for myself on my ipad and phone not to text or write anyone, I wake up and cringe
I agree that its more dangerous, I was surprised that she said that.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

How is your Mum?
Thank you for asking. She's okay, but I fear a steady elderly decline. It's hard to quantify that when I'm with her all day every day. Hard to tell the differences day to day. But the reality is, I have to prepare for the inevitable.

She keeps telling me I should put her in a nursing home so I can go back to Mexico, but I will never do that to her. And she appreciates that. She's the greatest mom in the world. I'll be with her until the end and will cherish every moment.

Hokay, enough of that. Anybody got any jokes?
Old 08-25-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Thank you for asking. She's okay, but I fear a steady elderly decline. It's hard to quantify that when I'm with her all day every day. Hard to tell the differences day to day. But the reality is, I have to prepare for the inevitable.

She keeps telling me I should put her in a nursing home so I can go back to Mexico, but I will never do that to her. And she appreciates that. She's the greatest mom in the world. I'll be with her until the end and will cherish every moment.

Hokay, enough of that. Anybody got any jokes?
Aww! I missed that something was wrong with your mum! I came late, what's wrong? And thats so sweet what you just said about her xoxo
Old 08-25-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
I'm the same, not many people know I'm an alcoholic, the other day I went out with a friend and she suggested we get a bottle of wine over dinner, I said I was taking a break from alcohol, she said " why? You don't even drink that much?"
Little does she know.....
I think dealing with drinking friends is always tough. I just don't answer the phone when they call. Rude, but effective.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

I think dealing with drinking friends is always tough. I just don't answer the phone when they call. Rude, but effective.
She's not really even a drinking friend, just a normal person who doesn't have a drinking problem, I'm fine to turn down alcohol when I'm out, even at a bar, I'll just order food and chat, but then I'll drive home and collect wine for myself later, that's why it probably appears I don't drink very much.
I honestly don't really even enjoy being around others when i drink anymore, I want to be left alone to listen to music and smoke cigs on my deck and not have to entertain anyone.
I like socializing sober, I find it boring and exhausting when drinking, if I'm honest its probably because I want to sit quietly with my precious wine with nobody bothering me.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
I did! I shouldn't have though, today has been a gong show and I'll probably be working until midnight.
I forgot all about the gong show LOL - I'm picturing the Unknown comic - guy with a bag on his head
Old 08-25-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Just dropping in to see how it's going, FL.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Did you hear that experimental psychologists are now using lawyers to test their theories instead of rats? Apparently, the psychologists don't get so attached to the lawyers, and there are some things even a rat won't do.