SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   (Not So) New - Frank's Thread Part 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/372631-not-so-new-franks-thread-part-2-a.html)

Dee74 07-30-2015 05:58 PM

(Not So) New - Frank's Thread Part 2

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...41-new-21.html

D

Cissy 07-30-2015 08:22 PM

Part TWO. Go you!

Tooshabby 07-30-2015 08:30 PM

Subtle differences.....

Hemingway, on presumably what was not a good writing day:

Google Image Result for http://lordsofthedrinks.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/hemingway.jpg

Maybe a better one:

Google Image Result for http://www.vintageculture.net/images/ernest-hemingway-writing1.jpg

You can only work sober, which your 'AV' doesn't like. Hence needling you with 'I still can work relatively sober, maybe if just don't overdo it.' Won't work, as we know.

Hemingway and Scott. F. Fitzgerald were drinking buddies, btw, and pretty heavy I believe. .

ZaBoozer 07-30-2015 10:04 PM

Hey there Frank, sounds interesting. International man of mystery by any chance? ;)

Soberwolf 07-31-2015 01:44 AM

Have a great day Frank

thomas11 07-31-2015 10:23 AM

Frank, I mentioned something about sleep meds awhile back. I should also mention that I take an anti depressant for anxiety (started 11 years ago) and it has improved my quality of life tremendously. So while I get not wanting to take a pill, I do believe some have their place.

FrankLapidas 07-31-2015 11:28 AM

Well, a new thread, a new name, and a new forum. That's all good, I guess. Dunno.

Hiya Dee, Cissy, Boozer, and Wolf. And Thomas, I'm putting together some more thoughts on anti-depressants, will probably post that tomorrow.

Thanks for the links, Shabby! Cool. Venecia's previous post/links led me to the book 'The Trip to Echo Spring: On Writers and Drinking', by Olivia Lang. It examines the alcoholism of Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Cheever, Carver, Tennessee Williams, and John Berryman. (not familiar with Berryman, but the others are all faves of mine). I'm just barely into the book at this point, but it looks fascinating.

Soberwolf 07-31-2015 12:28 PM

Good stuff frank your doing great

Tooshabby 07-31-2015 04:06 PM

Hey, that does sound like a good read. I've got completely out of the habit of reading and must get back into it. I read The Great Gatsby and really loved that. I remember reading 'The Old Man and the Sea' when I was about 13. It devastated me, but in a good way.

Keep us posted. You must be over a week sober now? :-)

Ginamarie323 08-01-2015 09:00 AM

Hi Frank, just popping in to say congrats and wishing you a great Saturday:)

FrankLapidas 08-02-2015 01:33 PM

Hi everyone. Hope all are well.

Gotta say, I'm not much liking being exiled to the Daily Support Thread Forum.

Oh well.

Soberwolf 08-02-2015 01:51 PM

Frank anyone who posted on your thread in newcomers if they want to continue this thread is easily found as i prove by posting to you now

I hope your weekend has been ok & that you have a good week ahead

Tooshabby 08-02-2015 02:02 PM

Yes, I know what you mean soberwolf - true that. I do think there is a bit of a traffic issue though, you know, out of sight, out of mind, sort of thing.

While the host is in the kitchen preparing our food....Ginamarie, your dog is absolutely beautiful. I think I read elsewhere she is a shelter dog(?) Gorgeous.

FrankLapidas 08-02-2015 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by soberwolf (Post 5493722)
Frank anyone who posted on your thread in newcomers if they want to continue this thread is easily found as i prove by posting to you now

Yup, I know Wolf. But here's the thing . . . my thread on Newcomers got 12k views and dozens of newcomer SR folks who posted some great advice and support. That helped me. And I hope that, in some way, it may have helped those who read/posted, too. This thread is pretty segmented and targeted mostly toward 'classes'. (and not to put too fine a point on it, the 'newcomers' class threads in this forum look to back as far as eight years. Hey! I'm a real newcomer, just into my 2nd week.)

This forum just doesn't get the traffic for exposure to my situation, my struggles, my successes and (frequent) failures, or my bad jokes. Readers/posters are going to be mostly those who subscribed to my first thread .

Or . . . maybe I'm just a needy alcoholic attention wh*re. :headbange

Cissy 08-02-2015 02:30 PM

Just an idea, Frank. Start another thread with a different title in the newcomer's forum and you'll be all set. If you want to continue most of the interactions you have going on this thread and move it over to the new thread, just tell us to come on along.

That would work, wouldn't it?

FrankLapidas 08-02-2015 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cissy (Post 5493780)
Just an idea, Frank. Start another thread with a different title in the newcomer's forum and you'll be all set. If you want to continue most of the interactions you have going on this thread and move it over to the new thread, just tell us to come on along.

That would work, wouldn't it?

I may, but I don't wish to antagonize Dee, who is the heart and soul of this site.

Tooshabby 08-02-2015 02:37 PM

Yes, that's the idea. It would definitely work. And you're not an attention *****. There's no such thing. Seems to me it's only ever narcissists themselves that accuse others of attention-seeking, for obvious reasons. Help-seeking is healthy. You are right. You are a newcomer and that's where you belong. Go for it, I say :-)

Tooshabby 08-02-2015 02:38 PM

I think Dee would be absolutely fine with it. My guess, anyway.

FrankLapidas 08-02-2015 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tooshabby (Post 5493786)
Yes, that's the idea. It would definitely work. And you're not an attention *****. There's no such thing. Seems to me it's only ever narcissists themselves that accuse others of attention-seeking, for obvious reasons. Help-seeking is healthy. You are right. You are a newcomer and that's where you belong. Go for it, I say :-)

Probably will (if it's okay with Dee). Thank you Shabby and Cissy.

So in my waning time on this thread, let's have some fun and decide what the title of my new thread should be. Branding is important.

Tooshabby 08-02-2015 02:49 PM

Hmmm....thinking.....

What about..."Hi. I'm a complete assh*le. Please help." :-D