Notices

(Not So) New - Frank's Thread Part 2

Old 08-26-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You sound positively perky, Frank.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

I have a morbid fascination with crime documentaries too. Here is a mind-blowing one in case you haven't seen it, about the 'Cheshire Murders'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUnbgt3pOiQ

I know, right?! Bugs Bunny. It's funny when people say things like that I automatically think "Could I be sexually attracted to Bugs Bunny?" Um....no. He really loved his cartoons, didn't he?

Olivia, I think you would make an excellent chef. Your posts are always mouthwatering.....you could have a side business of some kind?
Old 08-26-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hi All - At 32 I was just beginning my lovely trip downhill with straight vodka. From the beginning I was an alcoholic. didn't bother me - thought, hey I'm working a good job, raising my kids showing up when needed etc... I'll just drink alone in the basement late at night with my dog who loves me, no matter what. fast forward - lost job I loved, license to drive, denied the chance to see my grandchildren till I'm sober six months. In other words, I needed to get thrown against the wall and I count myself damn lucky to not have hurt or killed anyone. Stop now you folks!!!! Especially when you're hiding the crap. That is a huge, huge sign!!!! Thanks for listening.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting!
Old 08-26-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Frank , I believe a Thank you is in order , for putting my Thread link on yours . I did write at first to reach out to others . To know their not alone & to realize what alcohol can do to your body .
At the time of writing it , I didn't know it would end up helping me too .
That's great news your meds are finally kicking in
Eight track tapes & cassette's - Road runner cartoon

Olivia pumpkins = Halloween my favorite holiday . I won 2 times in costume contest Dorothy in Wizard of Oz - and She Devil LOL
Enjoying your thread Frank
Old 08-26-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hi Miss Shabby, Sadie, Venecia, Jsbodhi (are you travelling now?) and all. And a special hello to Elizabeth. Welcome, and please do continue to post here. We're friendly. There are no rules here, talk about whatever ya wanna.

Nest, you are more than welcome. I hope folks read your post. It was gutsy and inspiring.

Shabby, I will find and watch 'Cheshire Murders'. I'm on a documentary binge right now.

Hevyn, not sure I'm quite to the "absolutely perky" stage, but I am definitely feeling more optimistic. You'll know I'm Full Blown Perky when I start cracking (bad) jokes.

Olivia, did you finally get to eat sumpin'?

And . . . don't forget it's National Dog Day. Hug your canine.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrankLapidas View Post
I'm on a documentary binge right now.
Recommendations?
Old 08-26-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Recommendations?
'Crumb' which Miss Shabby liked (I really like weird people); 'Going Clear' if you aren't a Scientologist. Kinda spooky; 'Best of Enemies' if you are a political junkie; 'Cartel Land'; 'Gonzo: The Life and Work of Hunter S. Thompson (I'm a Hunter S. junkie); 'Kurt Vonnegut: Unstuck in Time' (Vonnegut is my hero); 'The Smartest Guys in the Room' (about Enron.)
Old 08-26-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

I liked "The Smartest Guys in the Room," too.

There are a lot of good docs out there I'd like to see. In general, I've not seen as many feature length ones as I have PBS series such as "American Experience" and the brilliant Ken Burns docs, any one of which I'd recommend wholeheartedly. I watched his series on the Prohibition not long before I went sober, which wasn't exactly tied to my decision but it did make me think.

I'm history buff. "The Fog of War" -- a profile of Robert McNamara -- is excellent. Also a political junkie ... loved "The War Room" but have to admit I've not heard of "Best of Enemies."
Old 08-26-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Hey bud, who you calling weird?! :-)

'Billy the Kid' is a delightful doco about a young boy who has Aspergers (technically it's autism now, I guess). You can find that one on youtube too. I also adored 'The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill'. If you can get the DVD of that it has great extras on it.

I did read Nest's post. Thanks to both of you for posting. I feel sorry for the hammering I've given my body. I think I'm pretty lucky to be alive. Better quit while I'm slightly ahead....
Old 08-26-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
Hey bud, who you calling weird?! :-)

'Billy the Kid' is a delightful doco about a young boy who has Aspergers (technically it's autism now, I guess). You can find that one on youtube too. I also adored 'The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill'. If you can get the DVD of that it has great extras on it.

I did read Nest's post. Thanks to both of you for posting. I feel sorry for the hammering I've given my body. I think I'm pretty lucky to be alive. Better quit while I'm slightly ahead....
I loved 'Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill'!! Partly because I used to live on Telegraph Hill and partly because (I used to) have a Blue Front Amazon Parrot.

I will check out 'Billy the Kid'.

Nimrod, I wasn't call you weird . . . I was calling Crumb weird, which is kinda indisputable.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi! I'm on my phone Can see any posts and hate taking notes!

Frank - yep finally ate pumpkin sumpkin! Yea. Salad I never finished. Day got hectic !

Too - Cheshire. - that was pathetic. Just saw doc on tv recently. Death commuted to life for the killers killing his wife and daughters.

Nest - congrats on two costume wins. Halloween surprisingly popular! We have a Wizard of Oz scene. I have pics of little kids that come out dressed as Dorothy and the Lion. Was just glittering her red shoes yesterday. Love Halloween!

Too - u should taste our jams and jellies! Also the best. I strive for the best and I do believe it shows.

Elizabeth. - wonder how you made it to 32 to fall so hard. You are smart and lucky to figure it out. Take it from an old gal!

Hope I got the names and stories correct!

Like this thread Frank. Keep up the Cymbalta.

Olivia
Old 08-26-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Ha ha!!! Ooops.....gotcha.

O.m.g. you actually lived there?! God, it looks so pretty. Remember Connor? :-( I adore parrots. Hey, check this out. Hilarous...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsLmQF29OgU
Old 08-26-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

A good reminder that I've always intended to watch "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill." It would help if I could figure out how to connect my TV to my DVD player. Have been without since getting a new TV about three years ago.

Whether watching something on TV (or pay per view) or DVD (past tense until I can figure it out), one of sobriety's great joys is actually have a clear memory of something enjoyable. Not fuzzy recollections of something I intended to enjoy.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Boy, isn't that the truth. If anyone feels like a nice sober trip to the movies, Mr TS and I went to see 'Amy' the other night - devastating, but brilliant. What a talent. There's a beautiful scene where she gets to sing with Tony Bennett, her hero. Sob.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

I Loved Going Clear! Really got creeped out by Cruise! Chesire Murders just so terribly sad. Through colleagues that knew that Dr, they said he was a very nice man. Also watched all of the Paradise Lost documentaries, fascinating.... and got a bit bored with Montage of Heck.

back to Day 2 here, nasty binge Monday. Won't give up though, ever. Doing new meds today, will do what it takes for now to stay sober.

Non drunks watching docs, kinda cool. Big excitement today is that Sons of Anarchy might have a spin off. Too bad jax Teller won't be in it. Got to catch up on some shows, finally finish the last season of Orphan Black!

I'm thinkin soon we will see an unbandaged Frank??
Old 08-26-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
Ha ha!!! Ooops.....gotcha.

O.m.g. you actually lived there?! God, it looks so pretty. Remember Connor? :-( I adore parrots. Hey, check this out. Hilarous...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsLmQF29OgU
Yup, I walked right into that one.

That bird on your link is one totally angry bird. They puff up their neck feathers like that when they are p*ssed off or protective of their owners. One Thanksgiving I decided to show off my parrot to a room full of friends. My parrot, at least until that time, liked to be shown off and liked people. But I had him on my shoulder and he decided to bite through my cheek. Parrot beaks have amazing clamping power. Blood all over. Anyhoo, some wiseas* in the room said, "What did you expect? You brought him up and showed him we are going to eat a bird?"

ps. I don't know who Connor is.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Oh God, yes!! Montage of Heck sucked! Talk about overrated.

Hang in there Sadie!!!!! Back in the saddle.....!

No, no, Frank. I mean now I get YOU. I had it wrong. I did think you were calling me weird. Took it as a compliment though :-)

You're right, parrot whisperer.....that bird has just had his nails clipped and is none too pleased about it. Great eh?! I love their attitude.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
I liked "The Smartest Guys in the Room," too.

There are a lot of good docs out there I'd like to see. In general, I've not seen as many feature length ones as I have PBS series such as "American Experience" and the brilliant Ken Burns docs, any one of which I'd recommend wholeheartedly. I watched his series on the Prohibition not long before I went sober, which wasn't exactly tied to my decision but it did make me think.

I'm history buff. "The Fog of War" -- a profile of Robert McNamara -- is excellent. Also a political junkie ... loved "The War Room" but have to admit I've not heard of "Best of Enemies."
'Fog of War' is good. 'The War Room' is excellent. Who would have thought we'd find documentary junkies on this thread?
Old 08-26-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

You'd think our brains would be too addled!

Have to take my son, Patrick, shopping for some essentials. Ouch. Bye bye money.....

See you soon :-D