Notices

Class of May 2015 Part 7

Old 07-28-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Caught up some, but not all the way.

Allie, glad to have you back! I look forward to hearing about your progress. I think it's a really great choice.

Gina, if you're looking for a way to get out of the house and feeling bad for our veterans, why not volunteer for a place that helps soldiers? Helping others has made a huge difference in my recovery, whether it's other addicts or just people in need. Sounds like it could be a nice match for you once a week or something?
Old 07-28-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThursdayNight View Post
This may sound childish, but I spent all last Saturday cutting things out of magazines (words that inspired me or pictures that interested me) and then I bought a canvas, an easel , and a can of spray glue and started working on a collage. For instance, there is an advertisement for a migraine medication that has a picture of a woman holding up a huge tractor-trailer truck with one hand. Since that was a picture of power, I cut it out and added it to my collage. Other words that I found in magazines include "relax" "feeling good" "Back from the Brink" "inspired" "Beyond" "Own the Moment" (you get the point). I also went online and printed anti-alcohol posters in black-and-white and then went over the pics in colored pencil, cut them out, and added them to the collage.

It felt good to not do housework or record reviews, and just to allow myself to goof around in a creative way.

I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea to do this, but it honestly kept me busy and crave-free all Saturday. Not once did I think about having a glass of Chardonnay.
I think that's cool. I did things like that in the past to motivate myself to lose weight or get fit and strong. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I had the resources. Totally good for the soul and it's like meditation time. Maybe when it's finished you can take pics of it and share them with us! I'd love to see it.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Thursday, I like your creative abilities! I have everything needed to try Zentangle (including a book) and will give it a go. It seems like I don't have to have exquisite artistic ability to do this lol.
Am also working on re-learning some songs on the piano, and trying a new one or two (mostly classical). I love that you can just download sheet music pretty inexpensively online, but I still have some really old ones I've saved from my mom, who was an excellent pianist.
I think doing anything creative can be so therapeutic.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Huge congrats and (((Hugs))) to all of you for doing so well. And welcome back to the ones who have skinned their knees and are back in here, fighting the good fight. I am having another sober day myself.

I have a situation that has arisen and I'd like to approach it by talking about it here with you. I think I may have given someone on SR the wrong impression by being supportive. I think he took my words of encouragement and one of my many " (((Hugs))) " the wrong way. Now he's pm'ing me a lot. He has done a forum search and read everything I've written and he thinks that most of my posts are on his thread and his last pm is asking me why that is.

I won't respond to the pm's anymore and I certainly don't think I should post on his thread anymore. I don't want to hurt him cause I think he's a very clever and amazing person and if he can find the strength to get out of his own way, he could soar in life. But I can't add fuel to that fire now, can I.

I suspect that he will find this post and read it and be hurt, but I don't want him to feel pain, I want him to feel cared about and to know that I (as well as all of us) are here to lift him up and give him encouragement. I'm far from his only cheerleader. I don't know what I said or did but I overstepped somehow. At least in his own mind.

So, that's all I have to say about that (channeling Forrest Gump.) I hope you all have an amazing day. Hot as hades here too. Hoping a storm will finally come our way and drench us to break this cycle of humidity. The grass is turning brown. Strange to go this long without even a little sprinkle. Not long at all, considering the southwest but long by our standards.

((((((((((Hugs!!!))))))))))
Old 07-28-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

I agree, Site, it's good to find something to do that's good for others.
There are so many community things you can do or hobby groups to join.
The sky's the limit, especially in more densely populated areas.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KaleGrrl View Post
Thursday, I like your creative abilities! I have everything needed to try Zentangle (including a book) and will give it a go. It seems like I don't have to have exquisite artistic ability to do this lol.
Am also working on re-learning some songs on the piano, and trying a new one or two (mostly classical). I love that you can just download sheet music pretty inexpensively online, but I still have some really old ones I've saved from my mom, who was an excellent pianist.
I think doing anything creative can be so therapeutic.
That's so weird that you said that about playing the piano cause I have always had a desire to learn to play something and just never put in the effort and time to actually make it happen. Just the other day, I took the keyboard out of the corner and cleaned it up and got it all nice and shiny and found the instruction book to familiarize myself with its features again. I am going to teach myself to play.

I have an acoustic guitar too and have all the things I need to learn to play it but these 53 year old hands find it pretty difficult. But if I could choose either or, I'd much prefer to learn the guitar. No reason I have to choose, though! I can learn them both.

Now all I have to do is follow through. That is my challenge in life. In everything, it seems.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
That's so weird that you said that about playing the piano cause I have always had a desire to learn to play something and just never put in the effort and time to actually make it happen. Just the other day, I took the keyboard out of the corner and cleaned it up and got it all nice and shiny and found the instruction book to familiarize myself with its features again. I am going to teach myself to play.

I have an acoustic guitar too and have all the things I need to learn to play it but these 53 year old hands find it pretty difficult. But if I could choose either or, I'd much prefer to learn the guitar. No reason I have to choose, though! I can learn them both.

Now all I have to do is follow through. That is my challenge in life. In everything, it seems.
Ahh, I used to have a guitar, too, but gave it away years ago. If you have an iPad or smart phone, there's an app called Magic Piano that's fun. It's interactive in playing all sorts of music in an immediate way, little skill involved.
As far as your previous post, I would just do what you think (not post on his thread, no PM responses; let him figure out his recovery for himself). It might not be good for him to know that you are moderating since in a rather vulnerable position of sobriety. Though he might already know that if he's tracking your posts.
To be really honest here, and not wanting to hurt your feelings: If you are successful in moderating, there will be people in SR who will wonder why you continue to post in SR. You could get support for that in HAMS. If you aren't sure about moderating, it's fine to post and see how things go, but know that it might be difficult for others who see your charming posts (I mean that they are charming sincerely) and are trying to not drink at all, or it might make others really annoyed. I know we're all grownups here, but I've been one to slink away when trying to moderate or have relapsed so that I don't hurt anyone at SR. I think we have to be sensitive and careful regarding others where it might be serious, like life or death serious.
If I'm off base on this, I'm totally willing to see otherwise and be corrected.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

No, I totally hear you. The only time I announce that I'm "doing that" is when I'm asked or that time when I felt I needed to make a point. Actually, I've decided that if the time comes when I feel that I want to be 100% sober, I won't hang around on SR anymore. I don't find that it helps to always be talking about and thinking about alcohol when not drinking. For me, it's best to move on and just not obsess over something that's no longer in my life.

But to each his or her own. I'm just saying that cause you said it might be better if I didn't post here while moderating. I really don't think I talk about it much though. I try not to for the very reasons you spoke of. I only told the man in question because in the chat room, he asked me a direct question. I won't lie.

I think I saw that app on a smartphone that I had in the past. It's really cool. This keyboard that I have looks like a normal keyboard but the keys light up and it has 3 levels to train you. Level 3 (I think) just lets you play without help. I never got that far. LOL!
Old 07-28-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

What is HAMS? Just googled and only see "HEMS."
Old 07-28-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Actually, I've decided that if the time comes when I feel that I want to be 100% sober, I won't hang around on SR anymore. I don't find that it helps to always be talking about and thinking about alcohol when not drinking. For me, it's best to move on and just not obsess over something that's no longer in my life.

But to each his or her own. I'm just saying that cause you said it might be better if I didn't post here while moderating. I really don't think I talk about it much though. I try not to for the very reasons you spoke of. I only told the man in question because in the chat room, he asked me a direct question. I won't lie.

I think I saw that app on a smartphone that I had in the past. It's really cool. This keyboard that I have looks like a normal keyboard but the keys light up and it has 3 levels to train you. Level 3 (I think) just lets you play without help. I never got that far. LOL!
Yes, but...he resurrected the thread you started earlier in 2015, where your last post states that you know can never moderate. Why did he resurrect that thread?

If you want to just continue friendships here, that's one thing. But if you see this as a support group, it's for those who are abstinent or want to be.

Or maybe unsure.

Just sayin' that it's confusing. What you just wrote here is confusing. Why are you here? Are you unsure about moderating? Are you trying to see if it's really a viable option for you?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

HAMS is for harm reduction of alcohol. A way to drinking moderately and safely. There's a website for it.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Just know, Cissy, I wish the very best for you in your life.
Nothing I wrote was with any animosity at all. I do care.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Wow. Well, I'm hear because when I disappear, people ask where I've gone and say that they miss me and they encourage me to stick around. I'm here because I enjoy your company and I like to offer support and encouragement. I guess according to your way of thinking, I shouldn't be here. Why he posted on my thread? I don't know. I wish he hadn't. If I could delete that thread, I would. I don't think they would do it even if I asked the Admins to.

I guess I'll start to pull back. If anyone wonders where I went, tell them I was a bad influence.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Just so you understand, by moderating, I mean I go days completely without anything and then when I do have something, I do it in moderation. It's little different from those who are trying to abstain totally but keep slipping up.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Wow is right. That's not going to put me off.
Think about why you are here. Honestly.
Just how successful have you been with moderation? Honestly.
If very successful, I doubt you would be so defensive.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Just so you understand, by moderating, I mean I go days completely without anything and then when I do have something, I do it in moderation. It's little different from those who are trying to abstain totally but keep slipping up.
Then I think it would be boring as hell to be posting on this site. You would go on with your life, not identifying with us who have to use our last nerve to stop drinking at times.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK, I think we're getting a little off Support Street here.

Monthly threads are usually a mix of those still drinking and those who've stopped.

This thread is no different.

I don't want people who are still drinking to feel they are unwelcome here...but neither do I want people to to be triggered or upset by posts about people drinking.

It's a fine line but I think we've walked it well here, guys?

If you see a post that you think breaks the rules please report it.
If you have a problem with another poster, use the ignore function.

Lets get back to support,

thanks

Dee
SR
Old 07-28-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Honestly, I should just be with July. Day-wise, that is really my home group.
Wishing all the best here.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

See what happens when I'm not around? lol.

Ladies! Come back, both of you! Have to get back to work but thanks for the suggestions Site and Thursday I would love to volunteer. Sorry I was such a growchy growch the other day....was it yesterday?

Cissy, I think I know what you're talking about regarding the PMs and stuff. You didn't do anything wrong. You were just being your big hearted self trying to help someone. And speaking for myself, I love your posts on here, and it won't be the same without you. I personally don't care if someone is drinking or not or moderating, etc. I believe this is a support forum for all. And you ALL are needed.

On a brighter note, I may get a car this weekend! Don't want to get my hopes up too much but I'm thinking a couple year old Prius, because gas prices here are ridiculous again. Then I'll be able to freely do stuff, like get my hair done, so I don't look like

Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday, Dee Thank you for all you do on here.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Ginamarie

D