Notices

Class of May 2015 Part 7

Old 08-11-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on 3 months, site! Four months is a long time to be on the road.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your impending 90 too Surrender.
As I just mentioned to another class, these threads have an ebb and slow.

I hope that a good portion of former posters have moved on and are living healthy sober lives...

but yeah - it's a really good reminder that addiction really is relentless.

That being said, I've gone from being an around the clock drinker who very nearly died..

I can say with certainty that I wish to live the rest of my life this way.
This is the real me

Recovery really is possible

D
Old 08-11-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hello all. Checking in on day 80 something. Not really counting anymore.

I just wanted to pop in to let everyone know I'm still sober. I had my ankle surgery. It didn't go well. I was in the hospital a few days even though it was supposed to be an outpatient procedure.

Anyways, I'm doing as well as can be expected after surgery. My sobriety is solid and I'm enjoying my life. I'm finding face to face support to be most beneficial so I won't be around here much anymore. I'm finding reading and posting about drinking/not drinking only gets me thinking about drinking and I just can't afford that.

I wish you all the best, and thanks for all the help and encouragement you guys gave me over the last 3 months. Take care, all.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry you had complications with the ankle Copper but congrats on 80 days

D
Old 08-11-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Re-Member

So glad you checked in, Copper, and that you are staying on the sober path. Hope your ankle heals properly and that you will check in every now and then, though I can certainly understand making face to face recovery a priority. I've been doing the same more and more over the last month or so.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

So Dee - how did you do it? Get sober? Stay sober? If u almost died, you really needed a good plan. You would think almost dying would be enough to get u sober but it's not always so.

Olivia
Old 08-12-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Day 96 here.

CaseyW - An apology would probably help, and I'll work on that today, as I have a pre-scheduled weekly meeting with my boss.

Finished "The Green Mile." Absolutely amazing book. Next up is to watch the film.

Have a great day everyone, and thanks for your continued support.

CC
Old 08-12-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Nice to hear from you Copper! I'm glad you found something that's working for you. I hope you'll still stop by every once in a while to say hello!
Old 08-12-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 97 here. Off work today. I'm not planning on leaving the house except to go to an AA meeting this evening. Will probably alternate between reading and watching television all day.I'm also off tomorrow and will probably be a little more ambitious then.

ClosetCinephile -- Congrats on day 96! Hope your meeting goes well.

Hope everyone has a happy and sober Wednesday! Let us know how you're doing please.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Day #87 for me. Casey, I'm 10 days behind you!! Not much going on here for me today. Working all day. Blah, blah, blah... Boss is on vacation, so it's just catching up on loose ends for me.

Closet, great job on 96 days!

Copper, I'm glad you checked in too. Remember, we're sober twins, so you need to check back here often!!

Went with my daughter and granddaughter last night for Back to School Night at her new school. First grade this year... bittersweet time. She's my shining light and I'm so happy to be sober and active in her life.

Hope everyone has a terrific sober Wednesday!!
Old 08-12-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Being around first graders/six years old children is awesome. It's when the learning really starts, ie real reading and more math concepts, but the kids are still very much not embarrassed about being children. Glad you're able to fully be there for your granddaughter, Surrender. Congrats on 87! Getting darn close to 90...thanks for checking in!
Old 08-12-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Tuff day here. Not for drinking. No strong cravings yet. Didn't get enough sleep and had to drive 75 miles round trip, plus do my job.

Pretty sure I'm dealing with PAWS. Binged too much before quitting.

At least I know what it is. This is the only place I can vent this out.

I do feel better everyday, just not for the whole day.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
So Dee - how did you do it? Get sober? Stay sober? If u almost died, you really needed a good plan. You would think almost dying would be enough to get u sober but it's not always so.

Olivia
No sadly it's not. I'm glad I had a moment of clarity.

For what its worth this is the before and after parts of 'My Story'

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-one.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

I changed everything really - not dying, or not dying that way, was really important to me

D
Old 08-13-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Thanks for sharing that Dee.

Didn't think about recovery being aided by helping people.

Now that we here know the full array of problems associated with alcohol and drugs in general, we have half the battle won.

Now we have to keep that AV from convincing us that any booze or drugs are ok.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 98 here. Off work again today.

Yesterday was a good day. I spent most of it just lazing around the house, though I did get out and do some thrift store shopping in the afternoon. Made a good salad with grilled chicken, spinach, kale, chard, blueberries, feta cheese, grape tomatoes, pine nuts, red bell pepper, slivered broccoli, and a bleu cheese vinaigrette for dinner.

Went to an amazing AA meeting at 8 pm. Topic was basically losing that obsession and compulsion and desire to take that first drink. As you know, I'm a big fan of the saying that you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what, and I must have heard at least six or seven different people talk about some form of that expression last night. Just a truly uplifting room full of honest people in all different stages of recovery. Made me feel very grateful for the hundreds of ways, both tiny and huge, that my life has changed over the last three months.

Speaking of three months, I got my three month sobriety chip. It looks great sitting in a shadowbox on my dresser top along with my 24 hour, 1 month, and 2 month chips. None of the groups around here offer 4 or 5 month chips but I'm going to order myself one online. I like the visual reminder of how time builds up if you focus one day at a time.

I'm off work again today. About to go to the post office. I'm sure I'll nap this afternoon at some point. I'm having an early birthday dinner (my 41st birthday is Saturday, but I have to work that evening) with my dad and step-mother and nephew this evening.

I probably won't go to an AA meeting tonight. I've mentioned before that the AA Texas State Annual Convention is being held in my city this weekend. I've decided against going since I have to work in the evenings and I'm not big on huge, huge crowds anyways. Though it's not actually part of the convention, they're having a big kick-off meeting at one of the groups here in town tonight. I'm assuming most people are going to that, so my home group will probably be mostly empty. Think I'll just spend the evening around the house.

Hope everyone has a happy and sober Thursday. I'm very grateful for SR in general and this group in particular for giving me my life back. Thank you.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Awesome job Casey!

Just checking in to say hi! I am off work today . Probably go out later and hit Walmart, get something for dinner. Its usually what to do when we're bored, there's not much around here - small town.

Other than that - I hope you all enjoy your day! Hope its fantastic!
Old 08-13-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Checking in, Day 75 still going strong. I don't post very often but try to read everyday. Only had a couple really bad cravings so far this quit but worked through them, trying to keep myself busy. I joined a gym the other day which is totally out of my comfort zone, I haven't been yet but going tonight after work, it's a 24 hr gym so going to start by going on off hours when there isn't so many muscle bound people looking at the 50 year old guy trying to lose his beer belly ha ha! I work evenings so I think it will be good to go after work and relieve stress before bed and hopefully will help me sleep better!

Went to the Zoo yesterday with my wife, kids and grandson, haven't been there since I was a kid. Had an awesome day but was surprised to see that even the zoo had a beer tent, alcohol is everywhere! or maybe I'm just noticing it everywhere now that I have quit? either way my focus was on my family and the animals!

Wish me luck at the gym tonight, I'm sure I'll be feeling it in the morning!
Old 08-13-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on day 75, Hypernova! Sounds like you're on the right path with gyms and zoos. Thanks for checking in with us!
Old 08-13-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Hypernova

D
Old 08-13-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Congratulations Hype!

Baby steps...