Notices

Class of May 2015 Part 7

Old 07-30-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 84. I got started working on a project last night and ended up staying up until five in the morning finishing it. So my plan for today is probably going to involve some more sleep after I eat something. Definitely going to an 8 pm AA meeting tonight. I was going to do laundry today but am putting that off until tomorrow, because I can.

Ginamarie -- congrats on day 80! Onward and upward! Only 999,916 to go! The guy chairing the AA meeting I went to last night has been sober since 1981. Every now and then at a meeting he mentions his day count, usually when he's mentioning something recovery-related that he does on a daily basis. His day count was 12,300-something last I heard and has almost 34 years sober so our goal of a million (or 999,996) days is going to take a while. One day at a time, right?

Surrender -- happy birthday to your son! Spending time with your granddaughter sounds like a great antidote to feeling "old." How wonderful to be able to be fully there and clear-headed for her. Have a nice day at work and congrats on day 74!

That also means congrats to Copper442 for the same. She posted on my visitor's wall here (not in a private message) a couple of days ago that she was still staying sober too. Hope she decides to join us again soon.

AllieK -- Not trying to be pushy but maybe instead of being alone tonight you could maybe give that AA meeting you were thinking about a couple of weeks ago a try. Just a thought, and I can certainly understand needing/taking some alone time. But you might just find another tool for your recovery tool belt. Hope you have a nice day--I'm so glad you're back with us fully.

Wishing everyone a happy and sober Thursday!
Old 07-30-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Casey, it's not pushy. You're right about doing something productive and different. I'm not sure about AA yet but I could definitely use a trip to the gym. I don't know why that didn't even cross my mind...
Old 07-30-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Hi all!

Just finished catching up and I would like to add that I also used to love to read. I had tons of books and could go through them in a weekend, but little by little, I read less and less, became that couch potato and zoned out on tv, wasting even more brain cells with beer. I did manage to read "The Help" a while back and really enjoyed that. I need to find something that interests me, I dont even know what's out there anymore.

Ginamarie, I am the same - I like real books too. I have a kindle app on my phone, and a few books in there, but I do like the feel of a real book and I love the way books look all lined up and organized alphabetically on a shelf!!
I'm such a dork! lol I always wanted to have a library, but never achieved it. I don't even have most of my books anymore either.

You guys are all doing awesome!! Congrats to all of you doing so well!
hope you are all having a great day!
Old 07-30-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Administrator

Six or seven at a time is a lot.
I usually only read at bedtime these days so it's whatever suits my mood at the time

D
Old 07-30-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by site1Q84 View Post
I can't read books on a kindle or anything either, which is hilarious when you travel for a living! I only brought 4 books with me this time, but finished them all! Looking forward to getting home as I have a book waiting for me that's hard cover that I couldn't bring, but it came highly recommended.
While I still prefer the look and feel of "real" books, I also absolutely adore my Kindle for its portability. It goes with me everywhere except for work. haha...it might even be my best friend.

I know it sure makes packing for vacations easier--I used to have to pack a separate bag just for books, now hundreds and hundreds of them can fit in my back pocket.

But it has to be an actual e-ink Kindle--reading for too long on a tablet kills my eyes. And I can't even imagine trying to read anything long on a phone.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Feeling a little motivated by all this talk about reading, I bought a couple books today. Both work related but I'm pretty excited to dive into them
Old 07-30-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Lots are doing well in May!
Books! I love reading the physical book you turn actual pages with, but I know I'll have to get a kindle someday.
Sag, if you liked The Help, you might like Longbourn. Reading books for pleasure sounds wonderful. I can't believe how long it's been since I've done that.
Wishing all a good night's sleep and great day tomorrow!
Old 07-30-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Getting ready for 11 days off work. Feel like it will help me get stronger. I work some crazy hours. Going to work out a bit more, sleep more etc. I am also planning on a staycation on Fremont Street. I live in Las Vegas. I have pings and desires to have a cold one or two by the pool, but I am a stubborn person. I hate booze now. Looking forward to trying my hand at a poker tourney...totally sober...it will be a first. The pool at the Golden Nugget is nice. Google it. Feeling proud of my sobriety.

��
Old 07-30-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ending day 84. Finally went to see Ant-Man this afternoon. It was good, not great. Decent way to kill a couple of hours. It look good on the IMAX screen in 3D.

Didn't go to an AA meeting tonight. Definitely feeling a little tired from staying up so late last night/this morning, so decided to laze around the house instead. Watched a couple of television shows, read some. Finished Bukowski and the Beats, started reading Popular Crime by Bill James. Still also reading The House of Mirth. It's good but I can only take about one chapter at a time in 1890s New York high society before I have to move on to something else for a while.

Sleep will be nice tonight. Going to watch something short and light-hearted and then read for a few minutes, try to crash at a decent hour tonight.

I googled the Golden Nugget swimming pool, D122y. That is absolutely decadent.

I've never been to Vegas. Not big on gambling except to play the occasional round of low-limit poker with friends at home. I always thought about making a trip there but just never pulled the trigger. Now that I'm sober, I probably won't ever make the trip to Vegas since I don't care for the usual Vegas-style entertainers either. I like my music a little more raw. That pool almost looks like it's worth the trip all on its own though. Hope you have a nice staycation!

Hope everyone had a happy and sober Thursday.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:28 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Casey, I think I'll have to get a kindle for this next trip. I've tried on the iPad but it's just like staring at a screen all day, which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid!

I never keeps my books. I don't like a lot of clutter and I rarely read books twice. I always pass them on to a friend or family once I'm done with them. I have 5 or 6 in my closet that mean a lot to me that I keep and may read again, but that's it. My parents always had shelves and shelves full of books and they never reread them. They're slight hoarders so I think it turned me off from keeping them around. Plus it seems like better use to let someone else enjoy it!

Few busy days and then I'll be home, so if I don't check in its because I'm day dreaming about laundry and cooking my own meals!
Old 07-31-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AllieKat View Post
Hi CC, good idea to post regularly. It really helps to keep you focused. Let me know how the Harper Lee book is. I am interested to hear about it. :-)
I'll be sure to let you know, AllieKat. I'm off to work now.

Happy Friday, all!

CC
Old 07-31-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 85 now. A little later than normal because I slept in after staying awake until five in the morning yesterday.

About to take my laundry to my parent's house as soon as I finish typing this. Going to go grab a bite to eat somewhere while clothes are in the dryer. Work at 5:30 tonight. No other plans.

Grateful to be sober today. Grateful for SR. Grateful that my parents let me use their washer/dryer. Grateful for air conditioning.

Hope everyone has a happy and sober Friday!
Old 07-31-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Sometimes it is the little things like AC that make us happy right?

Today I am also grateful to be sober and grateful for my life in general. Also grateful that although my drinking has had negative consequences, I have never been in legal trouble or gotten hurt.

The funeral my husband went to was a friend of ours (more his than mine) that we have known for over 20 years. He has been battling addiction since we were about 18. We haven't seen him for a few years because of his drug problem. Last Saturday, at 38 years old, he overdosed on heroin after 10 days of withdrawal trying to get clean.

Heroin is a nasty thing. I have known 5 heroin users in my life, 3 are dead, 1 has been in and out of prison his whole adult life, and 1 struggles on a daily basis to get clean.

So I am grateful I never did it with them and grateful I quit all drugs in the distant past. That could have been me. It really puts things in perspective. I have problems but I am grateful for the life I do have. It could be so much worse.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Wow, Allie, so sorry for your loss (and especially your husband who knew this person better). Heroin's a horrid drug.
I'm grateful, too, for never having had severe consequences for my drinking.
Though I've said I didn't really want to bring my family into SR, I have to say that my brother has been a drug and alcohol abuser (whatever he could find cheapest) to the point of homelessness at one point. I haven't heard from him in years and don't know if he's dead or alive.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 85, Casey! Gratitude is an awesome thing.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Imagine how different the world would be if drugs and alcohol weren't a part of it..,
Old 07-31-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

I found this forum a few days ago looking for support and a safe place to vent, from what I've seen and read I think I'm going to like it here, everyone seems so supportive and understanding.

I quit drinking May 31, 2015 and it was suggested (thanks Casey) that I join the fine folk here in the May 2015 class.

So if you don't mind I'll just pull up a chair and chime in from time to time.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Welcome Hypernova!
Old 07-31-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you found us, Hypernova. We've got a good group here--little bit of drama every now and then, but we're still all in this together one day at a time and I know this class has been a cornerstone of my recovery. Hope you'll check in regularly and keep building those accountability muscles.

And again congrats on two months!
Old 07-31-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Home from work...checking in. Sitting on the couch feeling very happy to have a red bull in my hand instead of a beer. :-)