Notices

Class of May 2015 Part 7

Old 07-23-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Checking in, was at a workshop, only had a bit of time to go online at lunch and right after, then company. Busy day tomorrow, too, but it's all good.
Allie, hope you're a happy camper with that nice family time tonight.
Casey, great to see you! 77 days!
Saggit, great idea re music. I have a piano that that was tuned recently and it's inspiring me to play again. It's like therapy!
Gina, same here--depression, anxiety worse when drinking.
Surrender, have fun tomorrow! It's always nice to get out early from work.
Nmd, you sound great! Congrats on day 4. I too may cut back a little more with coffee, maybe switching to green tea at some point. Green tea with lemon is really healthy, but I prefer it iced rather than hot.
Thursday, I found a women's meeting that meets once a week, but it's not a good time and it's a bit too far. But yeah, I'd prefer that over a mixed meeting.
Odisnow, that was excellent how you dealt with the pressure at that party!
Pixie, love your posts and humor.
Dharma, 70 days is awesome!
Cissy, wishing you well, my dear.
Site, yes, wine seemed to relieve crankiness and bad days for me, too.... for a New York minute (relatively).
Old 07-23-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Bringing day 77 to a close. Very recovery-centric day today. Went to a noon AA meeting and another one at 8 pm tonight. Got to both meetings early and stayed late. The face to face recovery makes such a difference. I feel rejuvenated.

Obviously ended up not having to work tonight. I'm pretty sure the guy who asked me a couple of weeks ago to cover his shift tonight must have quit in the interim or something because I haven't seen him. Walked in the door to work tonight, saw neither my name nor his was on the floor plan for the evening so I just walked right back out without saying a word to anyone. Went home and got out of my work clothes and then headed to that 8 pm meeting. Stopped at my folk's house on the way and ate some chocolate ice cream.

Good day today. Much much better than yesterday. Grateful for 11 weeks sober. Thanks to all of you for keeping me sober one more day.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you decide not to drink alliekat. The more times you choose that option the more we force a process of change and the more automatic it becomes

congrats on 11 months Casey
D
Old 07-23-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

congrats on 11 months Casey
D
11 weeks, but thanks for the congrats anyways! Hopefully you'll be able to copy and paste this message on April 8, 2016.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
nmd

Tonight was the first appearance of any thought of drinking. Nothing particular triggering it, just the thought of never drinking seemed tough. Thinking it through to the next morning helped. The whole thing passed before I had a chance to post.

Still busy packing for next week, getting excited now about camping. The weather looks like it will cooperate too. Heading to bed. Goodnight!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
nmd

Congrats on 11 weeks casey!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you didn't take that first drink tonight, nmd. Also glad to see you making yourself more accountable here. I know that's what has made the difference for me this time. Also, thanks for the kind words.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Nmd, if I think about never drinking again it overwhelming for me too! Try to just think about today - it really makes a difference for me!

Hope all is well. Busy week here but I'll be stopping in to say hi when I can!
Old 07-24-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
11 weeks, but thanks for the congrats anyways! Hopefully you'll be able to copy and paste this message on April 8, 2016.
Sorry - 11 weeks or months - congrats are in order still

D
Old 07-24-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Casey, I'm so glad you had a good yesterday. Your AA group sounds like a godsend--happy for you!
Nmd, you sound stronger, using your toolbox. I read somewhere that the metabolites of alcohol don't leave the body completely until about day 5 or 6. It might be a little longer than that, but not much. It could be that a craving comes more in those days as the body is adjusting to no alcohol, so best to push through those days.
The other thing I've read is that chronic heavy drinkers have at least somewhat fatty livers, even if their liver enzymes are in normal range in blood work. That can be completely reversed with complete abstinence for months (not sure how many, but it probably depends on each person). And that any drinking after that can set back the liver of an alcoholic quite a bit. That's another bit I keep in my head as I'm getting older and want my senior years to be healthy if possible, and to be really present always for my grown children and grandchild. My toolbox is just busting now, with thanks to SR and you all.
I still don't feel like I have sobriety as an automatic habit just yet, but it's exciting to see that it's getting there. Sometimes now I envision the "beast" (desire) not so much as a horrid beast in a locked cage as tiny yapping puppies scurrying around my feet which I can ignore. I've had to realize that the AV will always be a part of me, but I'll be able to ignore it with greater strength the more I do so successfully over time. It really does getting easier (albeit with some bumps like Casey experienced--bravo on how you handled it, Casey, you're an inspiration as always).
Allie, I hope you can find some ways to deal with your cravings so that it gets easier for you, too. I've kept a running file of things that resonated with me from others on SR and from other online sites as well.
Wishing all a wonderful Friday!
Old 07-24-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Casey congrats on 11 weeks that is so awesome and it sounds like you had a great day yesterday! No better way to celebrate than with ice cream, actually I prefer hot chocolate but ice creams good too

Nmd way to work through that craving like a champ!

Allie I hope you had a good time with your daughter and husband. A night in with the people you care most about is the best

Kale busy is good and thanks for the support!

Today I'm at 7 days!! I'm feeling good about things and had an awesome day at work and at home very productive and busy. Feels good to feel like things are headed in the right direction. I'm still trying to get used to this site for some reason my phone doesn't really make it very user friendly as far as responding to posts go. Am I doing something wrong here? I lose all access to everyone's post once I hit reply and I can rarely see what I'm typing, is this normal or am I missing something? Anyway I hope everyone has a good day it's my bed time
Old 07-24-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ginamarie323 View Post
Morning all. Glad you're back Casey

Thanks, Thursday. I can relate completely. I have noticed since I stopped drinking the depression and anxiety are much more manageable. When I was drinking, if it was 3 pm and I didn't already have a glass of wine in hand, I would start to go into panic mode.
Boy, can I relate to that one! By 4:00 p.m., having that glass of wine when I got off work was ALL I thought about.

On the positive side, I have a heck of a lot more time now that I don't pour wine the moment I walk in my front door.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi kids. Happy Friday!

Thursday, I know! And then any day I was off, I would watch the clock. I was never a "first thing in the morning" drinker, and tried not to imbibe before noon, but several times it would be 11 am and I'd just say, eff it....who am I kidding, and start at 11. Those were the really bad days, because I never stopped. It's good to keep reminding ourselves of this...it helps me, anyway.

Have a great day everyone
Old 07-24-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Happy Friday to everyone around the world. Beautiful sunshine here.
Congrats Odis on day 7. Feels great not to have a foggy brain?
I know thats the part i love most. I remember everything now..well w/ help from my many lists! I'm one of those lists ppl..i have a list for my lists! Lol

Congrats on another day sober to all reading.

Don't forget to eat something delicious on your journey today
Old 07-24-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hey SR friends, it's been a few days since my last post and I return to May 2015 part 7! Very awesome! Day 56 for me and still holding strong. Insomnia comes and goes, but seems to be getting better. Anxiety still not great. I figured at almost 2-months that might have improved, but still a nervous wreck half the time. I will skim through my missed chats this weekend and try to catch up with the group! Have a great Friday everyone!
Old 07-24-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
nmd

A bit too much to respond to everyone right now, but thanks guys!

Allie- I hope your family night went ok. It can be tough to deal with two things at once, family chaos and staying sober, but I know you can do it. You wouldn't be here if you didn't think you could do it too, it just takes a lot of work. It helps to look at where you want to be long term, but then just take the steps to get there a day at a time, like what site said about drinking.

odisnow, congrats on your week! I don't think that's normal to not see posts r what your are typing. I like the web browser view best, but I have the android app too. viewing the site on a mobile web browser is whole other ball game, what are you using on your phone?
Old 07-24-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 78. Slept like a log last night. Work tonight. No other plans. In fact, I probably won't even leave the house until it's time for work. I've got plenty of food to eat here and no real reason to get out. I vaguely thought about going to see Ant Man this afternoon but think I'll wait until my next day off to do that.

Odisnow -- congrats on one week! So glad you're back with us and back on track.

Saw another old Mayflower, Eliasson, pop up in the July 2015 thread yesterday. If anyone has time, she sounds like she could use some good words.

The SR site is tough to navigate on the phone. I had phone-only access for a week when I was on vacation at the end of May/start of June. By the end of that week, I wanted to throw my phone in the Gulf of Mexico. Much, much easier to use SR on a real computer if you have access to one. I think at the bottom of each page on the phone site there's a "VIEW FULL SITE" or "VIEW DESKTOP SITE" button. If you push that button, you'll get a lot more functionality, including being able to see other replies while you're typing your own. But it'll also use up a lot more data and take a lot more time to load on a phone, so there's a tradeoff.

site -- glad you're still staying busy but holding strong in Europe. How much longer do you have before you're heading home?

Kale -- you really are doing so well this time. I like the dedication you're showing to your recovery. I can see the difference it's making.

ThursdayNight -- I was another one who usually took that first drink in the late afternoon. It's taken a while but that witching hour really isn't so witchy anymore. Though I won't lie, changing jobs so I'm now working evenings probably played a part in that too.

Ginamarie -- congrats on day 74! Inching ever closer to that magical day 999,996.

PixieD -- don't think I ever welcomed you to this class though I think I did put the original link to here in your introductory post on the Newcomers board. So glad you've joined us and made us stronger.

I'm also a list person. Smartphones have made this a much easier way of life.

Rufftime -- glad you checked in and even more glad that the insomnia is getting somewhat better. Hang in there and keep coming back please!

nmd -- good to see you this morning.

Wishing everyone a happy and sober Friday! Talk to you later.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by sagittarius714 View Post
Hi !

Anyway, off to work in a few. I have found myself something to do - I am going to get back into music - listening to it, I am not musically talented - but I have been a couch potato in front of the tv for so long, and there's so much new stuff I want to explore, so I think I may do that for a while, see if any new bands hold my interest. Not pop, though. That's not my thing.
sagittarius -- I have also been getting back into listening to music over the last couple of weeks. I had to distance myself from my stereo for a while because drinking and music definitely went hand in hand for me. I loved nothing more than putting on some good tunes, pouring a glass of wine, and opening a good book for a couple of hours starting in mid-afternoon. Early on in recovery this time, if I tried to listen to any of my favorites, I found myself automatically itching for that glass of wine. But I tested the waters again a couple of weeks ago and found that I can enjoy my stereo without that glass of wine. In fact, I just bought a decent wireless speaker so I can listen to music while relaxing in a hot bath.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I'm using the app on my phone. I have a computer I'm using for school only, I suppose I could try the site on there and see if it's any better. Maybe if I make it a point to get on the computer more often for this site, I will stop waiting til the last minute to get on there to do my school work lol
Old 07-24-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Gina I was exactly the same way about "morning" drinking! I would wait until 12 or 1 most days, but every one in a while would start at 11 and say screw it! So glad I don't have to waste all that time just sitting at home alone and drunk anymore.

Casey, only 8 more days! Almost there

On my phone so I cant reply to everything.
Congrats to everyone on their sober days, whether you're just starting again or you've been with us the whole time. Everyday is a win in my book!