Notices

One Year & Over Part 27

Old 07-25-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry about your Mil Itchy, glad your home is coming along and its really nice your taking in your fil your a good man Itchy

Hi Drake glad your ok

Thanks Toots i think you will really like this documentary

Hi Mags i have heard of Luther so might try it thank you

Hello to all the Overs have a great start to saturday
Old 07-25-2015, 02:45 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks guys! It is what it is. I can deal with loss of parents. Mine are all gone. I'm the oldest living member of my family save one Aunt in Boca Raton. No one gets out of here alive. Unfortunately she is in a lot of pain. The doc has her on hospice meds and the nurses start on Monday. So she will be made as comfortable as possible through to the end. Situations like this are when we need all our feelings and wits about us. My wife is my number one to support now as she supports them.

Nooo Wolf, we aren't taking him in. He has his own property and home, truck and cars. He won't leave his house until we have to put him in assisted living or memory care. As I'd be.

Mags,
If I want an RV to use here, I have to put in the full hookups for power, water, and sewage. That's all I've been doing, my way. I hire a laborer now, that I can trust, until this is done and I've had my surgeries that have been waiting until this house deal is done. Tomorrow in 103° degree temps I'll be riding my mowers as usual. I can't let the property go out of control. Remember I'm retired and take my time. I love landscaping and improving my property.

We've dealt with Alzheimer's with my FIL's mother, and my mother, so we already know what you mean. It is no picnic as many here have been through it too.

Toots,
Thanks. Yes we have contingency plans.

Pumpkinney thanks.

The dry and heat is already searing the edges of the lawn. But the deeper rooted grass, shrubs, and trees are fine.

Nite, or rather good morning!

I had to stay up for my son who missed his flight and got here at 3:30am. It's 4:30 now and I'm wide awake and need to go to bed and read, if not sleep.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:10 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Magsie

Itchy, you plan hard then, and get others to do it, just the job! I used to drive a tractor around the gallops for a friend who trained a few race horses, that was good fun but probably cos it was novel not a must for me. Hope you managed to get 40 winks.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about both your in-laws, Itch. Have a nice visit with your son.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

welcome to overs lumpy

and not yet itch
Old 07-25-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Sugar is one of the most misused food ingredients. I try to avoid it, and look for sugar free or less sugar in things. Bottled sauces, condiments... it is everywhere.

And is addicting.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Yeah, tell me about it!
Old 07-25-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Itch, so sorry to hear about your MIL. Sounds like just what my Dad was going through at the end. Great that you've got professionals helping out. Hospice workers are special people and truly angels on Earth. Best of luck with the FIL. Alzheimer's is probably the cruelest disease on the planet. I know you'll get through all of this, bud.

When I stopped drinking, my sweet tooth really kicked in. I partake a little too much on the sweets at times, but I figure "why not"? My blood tests always come back fine and I do get daily exercise, so I'll take my chances

Our famous mountain lion now has it's own Twitter account! The only cougars I've spotted so far are the two-legged variety, so I'm okay there. However, if I DO happen to run into the real deal, my "plan" is to run like hell

Have a great weekend, overs!
Old 07-25-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Do your best

Just bk in from shopping bought some giant mushrooms to stuff for a meal maybe tonight

Having a cup of tea while we plan our afternoon
Old 07-25-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and comiseration. Continued crappy feelings today but gonna try to ride them out. I know I should go to a family thing today but kinda already gave an excuse and feeling double guilt.
Drake hugs to you for those past similar feelings/experiences. It's not fun.
Itch I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL and all that will entail for you guys in the future. Hope MIL stays comfortable and everything else is as smooth as possible.
Sugar addict here too. I finally gave up the nightly ice cream AND cookies. But still have a few travel sized candies after dinner.
Scary FBL about that lion!!
Enjoy your stuffed mushrooms Soberwolf.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Oll i hope you feel better soon our mushrooms tasted lovely we stuffed them with fried onions, chedder, mozzarella & Parmigiano reggiano

I know mushroom shrink but these were big mushrooms and they really shrunk lol we laughed when they came out the oven still tasty tho just got to cook the mushrooms for less next time we had them with stuff turkey breast (spinach & cream cheese) wrapped in serrano finished with grated Parmigiano It was really tasty

We were going to go cinema but we did the shopping & the garden today cutting my neighbours intruding bushes over the fence, fixing some wooden borders fixing the back gate & the back door (which still needs adjusting)

Garden looks lovely just a bit tired
Old 07-25-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sorry to hear that RZ!

OLL,
That is one thing I have never had until recovering from alcohol and that only a few episodes during PAWS. I could not deal with it as you do so well and don't even realize it. But I am weird. I don't get headaches either. Never. Not little ones, none. My wife gets them but my only gripe is my frame getting out of whack.

FBL,
Like you we don't have any choice so might as well git R dun. My poor MIL is a really nice lady. She smoked and was a beautician owning her own shop for decades until she retired about five years ago.

I was silent as y'all were discussin and cussin sugar and its attraction for the recovered alcoholic. I rarely ate candy at all before drinking in later years and then quitting. I went from a mint after dinner a year to eating a 12 oz bag of Starlight Peppermints.

See, I crave them when dealing with stress. Yes Dee, I am a relapsed mintaholic. I can pass by the store knowing they have bags of my only passion these days, Starlites.

Yesterday I was so exhausted after a week in the heat I bought two bags and am finishing the second bag as I type this. I gained 50 pounds, lost 30 of them, but kept the 20 over. I too test out fine but my cholesterol numbers are creeping closer to 200. I doubt I will ever take the pills for the side effects are worse than the exercise they replace. I have no sugar or blood pressure issues and my cholesterol numbers are well under 200. I have a Total Gym, Stationary bike, and inversion table I plan to use for rehab post surgery. Same machines they had me use last time. Can't use them until we are in the new house as that building is now for storage not my workout place at the moment.

I really need to lose some weight but my wife says she is sticking around. (bada boom!) I'm not dating, spoiled rotten and my weight doesn't bother anyone but me.

OK guys I've had an hours break and the 101 degree outside temps have cooled to a balmy 99! I have been mowing and weed eating all day in the heat. But took a break and am heading out now for the rest of the lawn work. Heat index of 110 degrees.

TTYL!
Old 07-25-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Never met a mushroom (edible variety of course) that I did not like. Dang things can shrink for sure. I had some big portabello mushrooms that I thought would feed an army.. until I cooked them!

Sorry to hear about your MIL Itchy, I was negligent in mentioning that.

Kind of a down day. Hotter than blazes, bad news about two friends, one diagnosed with a tumor and one deciding to move away. I have to practice my piece for tomorrow so I guess I will do that.

Take care overs
Old 07-25-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your friends, Drake.

I thought that since stuffed mushrooms were good, stuffed portabellas would be even better. Not quite--they came out super-watery.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not going to chide you or myself over some sweets Itch...I figure we earned the right to a little wilful dissipation

D
Old 07-25-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry to hear about your friend too, Drake

D
Old 07-25-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I'm sorry about your friends, Drake.

I thought that since stuffed mushrooms were good, stuffed portabellas would be even better. Not quite--they came out super-watery.
They are good but a pain to cook. Best to use big white meadow mushrooms to stuff.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  
instant

Today I am walking in the rain to wear in the new boots- in a few months going bushwalking again for a week. This is the sober life
Old 07-25-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs.

Drake, sorry to hear about your friend.x

You can't beat walking in the rain, instant. Bushwalking sounds adventurous. Is it like us hiking, but you have wilder creatures you may meet , 'I watched crocodile Dundee' lol.

I like stuffed red peppers, have you tried those drake and Wolfie , it's a while since I've had them but I don't think they shrink like mushrooms do, tho stuffed mushrooms are gorgeous, except for the cheese, which I can't have!

Itchy, you'll soon burn 20 pounds off, just soak up the Rays , it'll be like having a sauna or being barbecued!

Well, it's Sunday morning 5.21am and I'm sat up in bed in an hotel room looking out onto beautiful gardens and wonderful countryside beyond.
Had the wedding do last night and it was nice to meet my cousins I hadn't seen, they told me, since we were 6 and I lived in Yorkshire, 50 years ago!! They were mostly all strangers to me. Except my sister. She was 12 when we left Yorkshire and wanted to go back so she returned in her 20 s and loves living there, or here, as where I am now.

The bride , my cousins daughter, looked beautiful but music too loud so couldn't catch up with family, No worries. There's always Facebook!

If I can take a picture of these gardens and post it, I will. Still not sure on that! The village, 1/2 mile away, is very picturesque , old stone houses, small shops and a pub and cemetery, of course. I got some local honey , as you do. If you want to look at the gardens, Google ' Wortley Hall, Wortley, near Sheffield' . Got me thinking about our local pub, again. This hall was bought by Arthur Scargill and sold to the people's unions. Amazing what you can do as a community.

Finally, a while ago, I bought a security, wifi camera, what sends you still pics or video by email when there is movement on your property. I asked hubby to set it up and when I checked my emails, ghosts must have set it off as I got about 20 pics with nothing on them, then I received what I was hoping for, my little cat all curled up asleep inside. Simple things in life make us happy.

I read this and thought of all us.

The Wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept.

Have a lovely Sunday .
Old 07-26-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Do your best

Next time il oven roast the big mushrooms for half the time it was lovely just shrunk lol

As for stuffed red pointed peppers ... thats one of my favorite meals lamb mince seasoned with smoked paprika and other chopped verg it is delightful

Just got in from the rain & now watching a movie