One Year & Over Part 27

Old 07-27-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

why am i hungry? lol
Old 07-27-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

My Mom was thrilled when I told her that I'd be taking her to her 60th high school reunion at the end of September. She informed me that over 70 of her class are still living and that 55 have died, so she's still on top of things! It'll be a lot of driving for me, but it'll be worth it to do something special for her.

I already ate breakfast and now I'm hungry all over again

Have a great Monday, gang!
Old 07-27-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Overs theres an alleyway not to far from me and every now & then i see a lil old Mediterranean woman taking fresh vine leaves as they grow there im thinking i might take a few myself lol

We recently started growing rosemary & peppermint and will grow diffrent plants as time goes along

Spk soon Overs
Old 07-27-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

We have a huge plot of mint at our condo building, courtesy of a fellow who transplanted a few stems about 5 years ago. It takes over, which is fine as it is in an area where grass does not want to grow. I pluck some to add to my tea now and then.

In my main garden plot, I have tons of Thai basil that came back volunteer, a pleasant surprise. Have some oregano, chives, parsley and sweet basil in pots.

I make jelly with the basil, really good. But I do not eat much of it since it is full of sugar!
Old 07-27-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

My daughter had a dinner party, at which she served appetizers of basil, peach sections, and prosciutto! I could imaging the taste of peach with prosciutto, but I could not imagine the basil thrown in there!

I guess I should know: my favorite Thai dish is panang curry--and that's kind of sweet.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

I informed my co-worker that I'm planning on quitting. And guess what she told me-she's quitting too! It just is not a very good place to work. She's going to another paper in her town, and I'm going to go back to landscaping for a bit and regroup. I have been under so much stress lately, it's crazy. Been dreading work, just not enjoying it at all. I'm going to start working on documentaries instead. It's what I really want to do. There are a lot of stories around here.
I can't wait to get out of this job.
Feels weird to be taking a step back, career wise, but.....I'm not happy right now.
I went to the doctor and he prescribed Ativan. It's helping. Less crazy emotions. Calmer. Don't like to depend on drugs but whatever works.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  
Do your best

(((IP))) Sorry about the stress, glad your looking at jobs working documentaries i love them, landscaping sounds cool, if your friend is leaving too that says it all, good on you for seeing the Dr

Drake - me & mrs sw have just started out herb wise so i might ask for hints & tips when the time comes if thats alright

FBL you rock thats a really nice thing to do for your mum

Itchy - i love all your posts i dont think ive read a post from you yet i dont agree with, Enjoy your time with your youngest son & i hope your macerator pump arrives early & helps sort the black water out - I forgot to add since ive been washing my hair unprotected recently & its caused no harm i decided to take the plunge yesterday (putting my head fully underwater for the first time since aug-sep last year) ....Itchy it felt so good i wasnt under long just in case but wow it did feel good & i checked the ear this morning & all was ok i was well chuffed with that

Enjoy your day off Toots stuffed marrow sounds lovely

Mags i dont have a greenhouse but might ask for tips for tomatoes when the time comes

Hello Headlump, Andy, Rusty, D & Pumpkin

I have just got back from therapy and ugh it was tough answering very personal questions and my next apt will be by telephone the therapists asked me to think hard about goals for when she phones next we went over the time limit & i answered everything with brutal honesty & i really hope this helps

Feel a bit strange right now going to get posting help take my mind off things
Old 07-27-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  
Magsie

Inpar, good for you. You may feel you're taking a step back career wise but mentally, a huge leap forward.

Wolfie it can feel like you've been through the ringer when you've had a therapy session, sends your head buzzing. Hopefully, you will have a relaxing evening and 'empty your head' so to speak. Pleased your ear was ok.

I was looking at tesco online they sell stuffed vine leaves in jars! Might just make some , we have a good shop called trade winds I think sells the leaves, tho if I saw some growing I may pick some but knowing my sense of gardening I'd pick dock leaves, lol.

Gilmer, those appetisers of your daughters sounds yummy .

Sounds a lovely herb garden you have going on there, Drake. I've not tried mint in my tea but I've got a tub out the back with some in, might give it a go.

Back to work tomorrow. I'm quite chilled at the moment, done the ironing (progress since I got sober, always had to catch up before). Life's ok at the moment.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Mags thats the same reason i dont pick vine leaves if i see the lady il ask my head does feel like its been through the ringer im thinking about speaking to my gp about the anti depressants and slowly coming off them as they havnt helped that much and i fear thier making things worse

Right now i just want to scream
Old 07-27-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Evening All.

Hi Toots busy time of the year for me. I made myself a scarifier on steroids, it is based on a garden cultivator which I built a wheeled chassis around. It grinds up rough ground and smooths it out. Next comes cutting hay. To speed us up we are going to buy a power scythe and to store that I'm building a machine shed.

InPar - I hope your job change fits you better.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

And I forgot my big news, a colony of honey bees have moved into an old hive I have.

Buzzy buzzy
Old 07-27-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  
Magsie

Wolfie, hope you feel calmer soon.. would a hot bath help you relax? Good idea to have a chat with your gp, yes. Hope you get a good nights sleep.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  
Magsie

Oh brilliant, Andy. Fresh local honey!
Old 07-27-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Soberwolf I'm really sorry to hear about your angst. I'm glad you were able to be open and honest with the therapist. I hope it turns out to be a great and helpful experience. Why not give out a scream? Into the pillow? To a super loud song on the radio? I dunno. I just hope the feeling passes soon.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Andy that is super cool about the bees! I don't know anything about beekeeping but find it all very amazing.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Today has been ehh. I got pretty overwhelmed trying to make decisions about my possible AA journey. My daughter has been super fussy and clingy. I couldn't even get out of my way trying to figure out how to entertain either one of us. Just blah. I'm sorry if I've been kinda down or all over the place in my last few contributions here.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

IP sounds like a toxic work environment, usually best to get away from those! I too hated the idea of using medications, but now I see they are what I need. Takes a while to get the right dose and mix.. still working on that.

SW, sorry you have some anxiety I love growing herbs, they are usually hardy, some even come back or can be brought in for winter. And nothing better to snip fresh herbs for a sauce, salad or whatever.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

I was just reading and there were tips on anxiety attacks called grounding. Haven't heard it before, it's not medical advice, just wellbeing.
-----------------------
Look around you
Find 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste.
This is called grounding and can help when you feel you have lost all control of your surroundings.
--------------------------
I'm going to try this if I'm feeling anxious, it's not replacing any thing from a doctor or professional body but for the here and now,.

When I first stopped my anxiety was through the roof. You can imagine. If I'm honest I was drinking 3-4 bottles of wine a day, maybe a day off when feeling really bad, and I went cold turkey. I didn't realise, naively, how this would affect me and I turned the anxiety into those closest to me. I didn't know it was the stopping of the booze what caused the anxiety even when I found this wonderful site 3 months into my sobriety. Or maybe facing reality without the crutch of alcohol for once in my life was a biggie.

Anxiety attacks us all and like most who call at the pub and drown their sorrows we've had to man up pretty sharpish. It's bound to have repercussions.

What I'm trying to say, not very eloquently is, we're all doing great. Yes, we have problems in our lives. We are sensitive creatures standing alone without a crutch.
But we're building our tool boxes and muscles up every day our baby steps get slightly bigger, though you may not notice them.

I read on SR once a lady who had been sober 25 years, went to a wedding and was handed a drink, thought why not, I'm past that now I can handle this and of course she couldn't. That stayed in my little grey cells as assurance I'm not like others , never to rest on my laurels.

Sorry for the rant, but just yo let you know, you're not on your own with anxiety, most of us have experienced it, so don't feel shy about posting. We understand you, we aren't doctors and will never replace them, but we are friends who understand and sometimes, just some times, it's the best medicine we can have.

Love you all. Have a good Tuesday .
Old 07-28-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Great post there Mags, I remember reading of a male comedian, well known I just can't remember who! He managed his anxiety by reading anything available, it took his focus off his anxiety. Much the same way I suppose the search for 'sense objects' would.

OLL, in our March class we have one rule NEVER APOLOGISE. ! Fact is if we cannot offload somewhere, we contain our frustrations and that can leave us open to AVs temptations, so please never worry about whether you are not feeling positive or that you may be feeling down, we can only support you when we know that you are needing support! It can be terrifically hard trying to do something for yourself when you have a young baby or child, especially at the moment with the wee one teething. Focus on the things you can do to help yourself, perhaps attend on line meetings , I believe Drake here does.

IP in my first job I was bullied and knew no different, so naively stuck it out far longer than I should have, the stress made me mentally and physically ill. Now I know that if a work environment is toxic to me, I will find a way out ASAP turning my hand to whatever just to get away. You are not taking a step back, you are protecting your sobriety and your sanity.

Wolfie, if you grow mint the advice I always got was plant it in a container, as Drake says it will overtake an area. So even if you plant it in the ground, plant it in a pot in the ground!

Picking vine leaves?? Yeah. Like I would pick wild mushrooms too!! Haha no, I will 'leaf' that to the experts!

Happy Tues/Wedsday everyone
Old 07-28-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Mags & everyone yesterday was a bad day i was nervous about talking about things i came out of there not feeling good no animosity just the stuff that was getting brought up the place is a fair distance away she told me from the start if i think your a harm to yourself or others they could take me in (my worst fear) the place looked like a institution anyways like Dickensian so that put me on edge

The next apt is by telephone which i dont get but went along with

As for the anti depressants its been 4 months now they have already changed it once because i said im not really noticing any change and i feel the same with the new one im not having bad days everyday but yesterday was a bad day

i will talk to the Dr's after this post to get an apt

Mags i done that grounding thing pretty good thank you

Didnt mean to worry anyone & sorry if i did

Thanks Toots Drake & all the other helpful herb advice were using pots for peppermint & a big pot for rosemary

& thank you D