Notices

One Year & Over Part 27

Old 07-26-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Love stuffed peppers, either with ground beef or with all vegetables and beans or lentils.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Now I'm on a mission to make stuffed peppers.
I will try it with ground chicken breast, not as tasty but it'll work.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

growing up in the restaurant business

it looks like we have some fine cooks in the overs
Old 07-26-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  
Magsie

I'm learning lots of tips, zippy.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Thank you everyone for the welcome!

Some of the best stuffed peppers I've ever had have been in Greece - they sure know how to stuff them there!

I'm trying to grow peppers this year but don't seem to have been very successful so far. My tomatoes and cucumbers are delicious but the peppers look and taste distinctly odd! I'm hoping that I've just tried them too soon and that nature will eventually sort them out . . .
Old 07-26-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  
Do your best

stuffed vine leaves when i lived in greece were divine pardon the pun lol
Old 07-26-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  
Magsie

Loved stuffed vine leaves, Wolfie, but when I tried to make them they wasn't as good as in Greece, could've been the whole ambience tho.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Evening All.

Welcome to Headlump.

Itchy sorry to hear about your MIL, but glad your new home is on the way.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening Overs
Old 07-26-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Loved stuffed vine leaves, Wolfie, but when I tried to make them they wasn't as good as in Greece, could've been the whole ambience tho.
Oh, yes! I've tried so many times to re-create Greek salad. I even bought a CD of Greek bazouki music to play in the background, but it didn't come close!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Oh geez do I love Greek salads. And I've only had one here in US in Greek restaraunts! I could eat feta by the spoonful. Ok I do eat feta by the spoonful. My favorite Greek restaurant here closed but I heard the family opened up a small takeout place with some of their food. I need to try it.
Busy day just winding down here. Went to th e beah and then to a free lawn concert each with some different friends. LO is getting back teeth and just plain miserable. Back to the grind alone tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  
Do your best

Kalinihxta Overs
Old 07-26-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

First tomatoes and eggplants from garden. Things are finally starting to ripen. Too much rain and clouds had affected ripening.

Singing went well but a long day with some friends afterwards. Lots of wine flowing, but none for me.

Overs!
Old 07-26-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I agree Zip,
I like the way foodies talk food from different continents too. Seems we have some gardeners too!

Dee,
I didn't think you would. I've learned when I've earned. Learning can't be spent, it just collects interest. I earned that learned.

Mags,
Makes you wonder why you doubted yourself? It sounds a good wedding party enjoyed by you. Beautiful place, gorgeous gardens: Bing Images
The Rays as you call the photon intense radiation changing my cells as we speak are not to be toyed with. I wear a straw cowboy hat with broad brim and long pants. I used to wear long sleeve chambray shirts too but the overheating came on too fast the last couple of years. So my sleeves are short, and my skin is almost black from my farmer’s tan. Arms and open collar only.

Wolf,
Nice sober life you are creating. I believe we each create reality as we go. The most daunting things become commonplace if we just do them one at a time.
I love 'shrooms any way they can be made.

Pump,
Stuffed peppers are a staple here and done with ground chicken and turkey, as our meatloaf and chop steaks are as well. We use rice and some extra seasoning Cajun style. My SH ( Significant Harassment) of 42 years just popped in to tell me she par boils the peppers in water at a rtolling boil for just two or three minutes first as that takes the green flavor out is makes them milder.

Hey I am originally born in the Bronx as my mom went home to Mama from my dad stationed in Denver with the AF at the time. Then after traveling all over and going to kindergarten and first grade in Colombia in Spanish, lived in Stamford CT from age 7-18 and then left for the AF to avoid the draft never living in the Northeast again. Love the weather and the City. Grew up in the sixties spending lots of time in the village and drinking under the then legal age of 18 with fake ID in Port Chester and White Plains too. Others here from the S. CT too.

Instant,
You should have been here for the never ending monsoon! Do you camp with a tent or what bushwalking? I rough it nowadays with all the conveniences and A/C to boot. How about a few more details? I know you folks in Oz are in winter while we swelter here in summer.

Drake,
It’s OK, hope your buddy is going to be OK.

Lump.
Are you growing bell peppers? It sounds like the seed and variety might be your problem? We use green and red bell peppers.

OLL,
Glad to hear you are doing well. The salads we loved were German as each restaurant and Haus Frau had their own salad dressing and ingredients recipe but they were like their Gherkin pickles, unlike anything here in the states. 7 years of my AF career were spent in Germany where my pre alcoholic mandatory pre requisites were completed from Amsterdam to Italy, Austria, Luxembourg, Belgium, Switzerland, and France. We have a close friend from Lebanon who opened a Greek restaurant here and boy can he cook up all of the Mediterranean cuisines.

I’ve never been to Greece. I turned down an assignment to Crete which in hindsight wish we’d taken. I went to Colorado Springs for an assignment instead.

My youngest son made it in and we have been having a great visit. Our master bath sprung a giant leak from under her sink after we finished the water line for the RV. Apparently I had drained all the water from everything and when we turned it back on for both, there was a pressurized air bubble that hammered the bathroom connections. So even though we are not living in it for but two more days I had to shut the water off, and then run to Homer’s ( Home Depot or Toys R Us for adult men) for two new water supply lines and to be safe a faucet set.

It couldn’t wait two more days??

The RV is all but set. I am ordering a FloJet Macerator pump to be able to pump the black water tank through a 5/8ths inch garden hose for a 100 foot run to my oxidation pond. Black water is RV talk for the stuff of both the number 1 variety, and from Sesame Street directly, the number 2! See RVs have gray water from the shower and a third holding tank from the bathroom shower and sink in this one. Black water must be drained and pumped and must be assimilated into a sewer system near me!

Hi Andy!

Say goodnight Gracie.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love stuffed vine leaves - I must get some tomorrow
Old 07-26-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs. Hope you're all well this fine Monday!

Itchy, I don't appreciate how hot it really is in your parts of the earth. We get a hot day here and most people are flaked out, we don't deal with it well enough because we don't get much of it, not the intense sun you have. The bing images of Wortley hall are better than I found on Google, I will try bing in the future! Pleased you're having good times with your sons visit.

A Greek takeaway, OLL, now that sounds tempting.

Drake, my tomatoes are nowhere near ready, with all the rain and battering they've had last few months.

I may have said, but we are looking at buying a greenhouse. If you have any tips for a first time greenhouse buyer, please let me know. I need all the help I can get!

I'm not at work today, holiday day, having the odd days off as it doesn't look like we will be going away this year as I fret too much about the cat! Silly, I know, but he's not like any other cat I've had who s happy whoever is cat sitting them. Plus the fact it's so depressing at work nowadays.

I love to hear all the talk of food and weathers and even the different words we use from around the world from everyone here. Still get confused with the time differences though.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  
Magsie

Do you buy the leaves, Dee, and stuff them yourself or buy them ready to eat? They're so simple but can be so tasty. Another Good idea for meal planning.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  
Administrator

I buy them ready to eat mags - they're really nice...and cheap too

D
Old 07-27-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

All this food talk!! My mum used to do stuffed marrows when we were young. I like stuffed peppers too. Not so keen on the stuffed vineleaves, but the ones I have had used a lot of rice and I'm not the biggest rice fan.

HeadLump, just noticed you're from Dorset, I lived in Bournemouth for donkeys years. Love it down there, and really miss the weather in the summers - not the traffic though!!

All ok in Tootsville, day off today, it's a local holiday . Scotland is quaint that way, they totally ignore some national bank holidays and have these local holidays so I might be off work in Dundee, but Aberdeen will have their holiday another Monday! I love the eccentricity of it and the fact the towns refuse to conform.

Good to see you Andy, where ya been??

Zip how's the foot?

Happy Monday all, have a great sober week.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:23 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sounds good toots, I like holidays differently, it's not as crowded in places, enjoy your day.