Notices

Class of December 2012 - Part 13

Old 05-01-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi all,

I haven't checked in for a while either. I've had a lot going on -- work, of course, and a family member with bad health news, and some other preoccupations -- but no drinking. Not likely to change that, either, at least not today!

How is everyone? Please share your news, ups & downs. There's always someone here who cares.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Hey all, hanging in here. Works been a nightmare, had a hard drive go and been a nightmare getting back running even though we are on a server. Really fun stuff.

Other than that just some golf and trying to catch my nephews baseball games, 7 year olds are hilarious. Hope everyone is having a good week.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Whups double post. Must be getting rusty.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

hey Gonzo! love watching the little kiddos play baseball, football at that age. It is so hilarious, and they are so serious! My stepson has the distinct honor of striking out in T-Ball, of which I take great joy in reminding him

May is a crazy month for me, lots of camping with friends working with my SAR team. Something every weekend it seems. Good Times!

Checked my blood pressure yesterday, as we all know the alcohol really messes with that, and at one point I was way high 220 over 110 or something along that line. Was put on meds on the very rare dr visit for a UTI. anyway yesterday it was 136/86 and I haven't taken meds in a long time, I haven't seen those numbers in forever. So between no wine and going to the gym, (haven't lost weight though, that may be to not changing the eating habits much) those important numbers are down.

Work is going well, the powers that be decided that after 7 months I need to have an FTO again, as there was no one to write the eval on me that is required at 6 months, so,, we had two, go to FTO training and I was assigned one of them, and so she wanted me to keep a log/journal on how I dealt with the inmates or different situations,, aaaargh! all that should have been done 6 mths ago. Anyway I suck at that, I never was a journal keeper of any sort. And writing my "feelings" down is darn right impossible I just stare at the blank paper and stress out Plus the fact that I think this whole FTO thing right now is a waste of time, where was it when I needed it? And she only lasted 2 weeks, than she went on a different shift, so now I get another FTO flavor of the week, who will last how long this time??,, again I say, what is the point? The point is they need to cover their "assets" and in my situation I feel it is like closing the barn door after the horse has already ran out, to little to late. But I have to grin and deal with it, my year probation is up in 5 mths and I can survive that long. I do like what I do, and want to be good at it, so I need to suck it up and do what needs to be done,,, sigh.

So, what fun things are all my Decemberites doing in the month of May? Here is a challenge, what is your favorite summer memory? I have lots of great memories camping with my Grammee and Gramp, tough to pick just one. He taught me how to row a boat and fly fish, that he was the most terrifying car driver ever, driving forward while looking backward over his shoulder on a mountain road, at some creature or shiny thing he saw along the road, oh gosh good times! Gramee was also a "finder" of things, but that, my friends, is another story
Old 05-08-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Taz

just doing the usual...have a good weekend everyone

D
Old 05-08-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  
p***enger

Nice to see you, Gonzo!

Nice to see you, Tazzle!

Nice to see you, Dee!

Tazzle, I'm going to think on your "favorite summer memory" and get back to you tomorrow, ok?

G'nite, all.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  
p***enger

That summer memory thing -- on hot days in the summer I liked to lie on the beach on the shore of Lake Michigan, hidden out of sight from anyone else, my eyes closed & one ear pressed to the sand -- I'd run my fingers through the sand over and over and listen to the sound reverberate through every grain like waves on an ocean. That's probably it.

Thanks for the memory, tazzle!
Old 05-10-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Hi all! Happy Mother's Day to all of the moms.

Tazzle, those BP numbers are great!

Courage, how are you doing? How's work?

Hi RAL, I'm glad you're happy with work and your new love interest.

Gonzo, I hear you about work.

Hi Dee, fallow, napster, marria, Alice, and anyone
Else I may have missed.

Off to Zumba then we are going to a place called Bok Tower to walk around and take photos. Work is work... My partner got a new job and stats in 2 weeks. I'm thrilled for her but frustrated I can't find anything.

Anyway! Gotta get moving. Everyone make it a good day!
Old 05-10-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Tam!

Let's see, how am I? Lots going on -- kid getting married, Switzerland, Rome? Research assistant aka minion moving on, looking for a new hire -- maybe full time? Coming off sabbatical, getting reeled into politics already, groan. Writing a lot, academic stuff, a real zzzz to anyone but me and a little cluster of 3rd tier academics. Not doing AA anymore, still friendly with former sponsor. Just felt like there was no reason for me to be there -- I'd rather support my students and family than other alcoholics, and I don't need the AA kind of "fellowship" nor was I working the steps. I had a new sponsor started but he got sick. Still working, tho, on being a human being, always.

Sober. Dig it!

Another summer memory -- I used to walk barefoot when I had -- what was it, a quarter? -- to the candy store, hot pavement under my feet or sometimes spintery wood. Peeling hot tar off the souls of my feet and yanking out splinters with mom's needle and tweezers. I prided myself that after burning and splinters and stubbed toes, by the end of the summer my feet were brown and tough enough for anything. I'd buy a salty peanut Payday bar, and in the heat the the caramel would be gooey. Yum!

Old 05-11-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

payday and a cherry coke! I wonder if they would still taste the same,,,, they were good at the time
Old 05-11-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  
p***enger

I don't know, tazzle. Nothing tastes as good to me as a Payday, or a hotdog, or an orange creamsicle -- do you remember those? -- used to taste on a hot summer day. Guess I'm feeling nostalgic. Or just plain old!
Old 05-12-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

I always licked all the orange part first! Love the Orange crème soda's also,,, okay,, may have to do a store run before work,,, and than a lot of gym time....
Courage this is all your fault!!!!
Old 05-12-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  
p***enger

Fanta Orange! Hawaian Punch Fruit-Juicy Red!

I liked regular popsicles even more than creamsicles -- I was always so excited to get a lime one because it turned my mouth green, but cherry tasted best!
Old 05-18-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Hello everyone

I can't believe it's nearly a month since I last posted. oooh I remember when cherry coke was first introduced in the 80s. Showing my age now!

How is everyone? I've really got out of the habit of posting - probably busy doing real life things. I had to finish working where I was due to ex Mr RAL being wholly unreasonable and unhelpful and refusing to assist with afterschool and weekend childcare. it was very disappointing and I felt awful letting people down by leaving so soon but there wasn't much I could do.

It probably sounds crazy to you all living in cities where there is an abundance of childcare. unfortunately, in the middle of nowhere we have nothing. there is no after school club, no nursery, play group or childminder. the only alternative would be to move jr ral into a new school 20 miles away, drive him there and back every day (80 mile round trip) and he then go to after school club there. not feasible and no weekend care anyway. So I have been looking for more suitable hours, even if I can't get school hours then at least just week days and looking at a couple of hours care once school finishes. There is 1 person who said she would be able to have jr ral. I've no problem paying for childcare it's just the total lack of it locally which is a problem.

Anyway, enough of my problems, what will be will be and I will sort something out. i have booked a holiday to cheer me up as you probably recall I'm a bit of a holiday addict. there are worse things to be addicted to methinks Going to one of the southern Greek islands in October so should be quite nice and warm still then with new mr ral and jr ral.

old mr ral being very awkward all round really. how long do I need to be beaten up for ( metaphorically speaking) for ending my marriage? surely there comes a point when people just have to move on.

courage - when is the happy day? have your son and his fiance decided on a wedding destination? do you think it will be in europe? how are your work projects going? are you getting a new minion?

tam - how are you? how is your work situation going? are you still looking elsewhere? hope married life is going well. is it getting hot in florida now? wish it was warmer here- very wintery today.

taz, gonzo, napster, fallow, alice, marria and of course Dee. Hope you are all well
Old 05-18-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Administrator

A holiday sounds great RAL

D
Old 05-18-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
A holiday sounds great RAL

D
A holiday always sounds good LOL!

It's great to hear from you, Ready. I'm sorry Mr. RAL is being such a pain in the tukhus as we say in NYC -- maybe you should start calling him Mr. P.I.T. instead. After all, he's not your mister anymore, right?

All's fine at my end. The kid still doesn't have a wedding date -- something to do w/the Swiss Government & the Ascension holy day. We'll go to the ceremony & some sort of thing after which I'm hoping will be very small & brief

Then we're going to take a holiday in Rome!!!

He'll be moving to London. Smilies don't express the "wow."
Old 05-18-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Administrator

not even this one?

lol

D
Old 05-18-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
p***enger

Old 05-18-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Mr PIT he now is - I like it

that's exciting courage - a wedding Hopefully it will be small and brief for you though you will be fine. Always have an escape route. Will they settle in London full time? Frequent holidays for you I think Rome sounds fabulous. you must tell us all about it. Have you been before?

Oh i have a job interview today and full of a cold. Feel utterly lousy but I shall sharpen my wits and hope I'm not sneezing everywhere

Good to chat with you all again
Old 05-20-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

OMG I got the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They rang me earlier to offer it to me. I can't believe it. so so so pleased over the moon, excited, ecstatic, happy, amazed. and it is in school hours so no need to worry about childcare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!