Notices

Class of September 2014 part 2

Old 09-23-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Hey, safeandsound-- are you keeping track of what you're eating? Last time I tried sobriety (new year's resolution), it turned out that I upped my sugar intake to try to make up for the loss of the sugar in wine, and didn't lose anything. This time, though, I am writing down what I eat, and have actually lost a little weight. (Granted-- only 10 days in. May have just been water retention. )

Also-- even if the scale doesn't move, your measurements will.

But, no matter what, I am happy for you! Isn't it wonderful to feel good physically and have a clear mind? It's like we have a completely different body! Keep up the good work.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  
On my way....

Day 2! Determined to get this right!!! Thanks for the support class, so glad I have this resource, just gotta make sure I use it in my moments of weakness, I promised myself that the next time (and there will be a next time) I feel that way I must come to SR and post a SOS thread.

Getting ready to leave for work! Have a blessed day class.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Safeandsound I don't think it was me but sun and patio do sound nice! With a book! And a nanny! Heck just to take a shower without a kid banging on the door the whole time would be nice lol... Don't worry about that scale! We were hard on our bodies...

Welcome all newcomers! So glad you are here!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-23-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

I can relate to the weight concerns. I want to be the old me, I also used to be fit from
Running 5 days a week. I really want to like myself again but I know I'll be setting myself up for a fall if I try to fix it all at once. I've just come out of a bad relationship too.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

I would like to jump back in! Need the support right now, really need to make this work.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I'm on day 4 alcohol free. Also need to lose 4 stone in weight (56lb) so am hoping losing the wine will help. Feeling a little down today but not had the urge to drink. Yet.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

safeandsound I also can relate to what your feeling about my weight and a bunch of other things that I've let slide. I've am trying to accomplish a couple things each day but not overwhelm myself. Stay off the scale, focus on your sobriety and taking care of yourself. Heck I figure if I'm not drinking a bottle or more of wine each night my body will shed some of the weight without even doing a lot more
Old 09-23-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

[QUOTE="safeandsound;4914291" Made the mistake of getting on the scale. Not one pound lost. This is dangerous territory for me since one time I relapsed for exactly that reason--resentment after a month sober with no weight loss (looking back on it, I definitely had less fat and more muscle). I used to be super-fit and have always been obsessed with it, like most women. Over the years as I continued drinking tons of booze without changing my eating habits and also got older, I gained fat on my stomach and hips regardless of exercise. I don't like how I look. I've tried to keep away from the scale this time. Sobriety is so much more important. Even if I stay exactly this weight (which I doubt), it is still worth it not to have hideous blackouts and to hurt people constantly and feel awful and ashamed. Please remind me if I start obsessing at any point. This is about my life, not my appearance. Lots of new people coming in--welcome! It gets better.[/QUOTE]

I'm a fitness freak, too. Alcohol doesn't help me in any way, shape, or form to achieve or maintain any of those fitness related goals, that's for sure.

Hopefully, the longer you stay sober, the easier the diet will fall in line, equalling some weight loss. When we drink, the body prioritizes the digestion of alcohol over any other nutrients, so if you're eating while drinking you have a larger potential for the food you're consuming to be stored as fat rather than be used as energy. Add to the other issue of normally eating more and choosing fatty foods to eat when we're drunk is a perfect recipe for unwanted weight gain.

Also, drinking just makes me puffy. Not cute!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Ok, I tried to quote safeandsound, but obviously that didn't work! Lol! Sorry for the confusion--that is my reply to her concerns of weight gain!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The thing about recovery Jim Jim is it doesn't stay like it is in the early days - it gets better and so do we

On that note, I've been feeling pretty unwell, but I'm bouncing back now.

I'm glad to see everyone who's returned back for another go, and I'm thrilled to see so many Septemberites hitting some pretty significant milestones.

Sorry for the site troubles avice but it's not just you - it's me, and a whole lot of other folks too - hopefully the techies will sort it out soon as.

D
Whew....good to know. My account works on another (this) computer though...very strange?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Hi class

Day 28 here. It's definitely one day at a time. Yesterday was a good day...today, not so good. Plus I had a horrible drinking dream..it was so darn real...need to get that one out of my head.

I am so happy to read that people with less time feel so good. Wish I did, but I know it takes time.

Sorry to be a Debbie downer...needed to just check in today.

Stay strong class! You are all worth it.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Luper View Post
Hi class Day 28 here. It's definitely one day at a time. Yesterday was a good day...today, not so good. Plus I had a horrible drinking dream..it was so darn real...need to get that one out of my head. I am so happy to read that people with less time feel so good. Wish I did, but I know it takes time. Sorry to be a Debbie downer...needed to just check in today. Stay strong class! You are all worth it.
Luper, I feel good but that's probably because I normally don't drink during the week. Come Saturday, my normal binge drink day, I may feel quite differently. This one will be my first in awhile that I don't drink. Hopefully I make it through.

You're not being a downer. We all have our good and bad days! Saying so makes you human
Old 09-23-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Hi class,

Just checking in on day (29). I'm using a different computer because I too am having trouble logging on,

....a bit exposed, so, I'm keeping it short.

Welcome to the newcomers......

cya soon!

Stay Strong Septemberites...
Old 09-23-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

What is an AV?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

countrygirl it means Addicted Voice. Or Alcoholic Voice is how I like to see it.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeowMeowMeowwww View Post

Neverthought. One month! You are the first to reach the top and plant your flag. I'm not too far behind you...I shall join you soon.
I am exactly like that with the euphoria/energy aspect of alcohol. Do I miss it? Oddly, not really - even though I've been experiencing a bit of depression over the past couple days. It was weird to not drink while cooking, though. However, I have found something to replace it. Here's a recipe for y'all.

The Incredible Unbeatable Delicious Watermelon Drink That You Might Sell Your Mother's Soul For Except You Don't Have To Because Watermelon Is Not Hard To Find
Get blender.
Cut up 1/4 watermelon and put in blender.
Add coconut juice (available at fine Asian grocers and those annoying organic places that charge too much for everything).
Turn on blender.
Turn off blender.
Fill glass 3/4 full and top off with mineral water.

You write music? What do you play?
That sounds yummy. I'll have to make that! Oh, and I already sold my mom's soul......for cheap...it's pretty empty.

Thanks Avice...well, tomorrow will be (1) month.....I'll be looking for you and the rest of this class!

I play guitar (electric/acoustic) and started on the piano last year. The note structure is the same, so, I picked it up pretty quick. I prefer lead vocals though. And actually I don't write it down. I just laying out riffs and leads, and now I can add piano to it and then record tracks. But I can't write lyrics to save my life. Maybe I should take my SR 500+ posts and turn them into lyrics?

I rarely get time music-wise now though.

I get to live through my boy now. He's a natural vocal-wise. Actually, it's quite annoying (super proud though!) that he's 6 with a natural pitch. It took me years and years of practice to stay in key. Again though, I was a late bloomer. One day it just clicked!

Everything that comes out of his mouth is in key...If only I could get him away from Minecraft or Disney infinity... :^). I don't want to push him too hard though.

Thanks again Avice. The SR site let me in this time, but when I went to post, I got an error that I wasn't logged in. I learned a while back that, anytime I start to get lengthy with my posts....do a Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C in case something happens! No one likes having to re-type!
Old 09-23-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Hello class. Checking in on the afternoon of day 4. Today Will be a bit of a challenge for me because I'm going back to Work after a feW days off.
Still having trouble sleeping. I think that I used booze to relax my manic brain at the end of the day. Going to have to find something else to replace that. So far I've got- reading and taking a sleep aid, like melatonin or magnesium. It's also super essential that I get enough physical activity into my day. If not I feel like I could climb the Walls... If I could just get myself to shut off the technology too and lay off the diet coke I'm sure that could help too!! Baby steps...

Welcome to all the neWcomers!!
Old 09-23-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Wow. There is a lot of new people here. Welcome Just checking in on day 4. Got to get back to work. Be back later.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

I've almost made it through day 1. Thankyou class, it means so much to know my feelings aren't me being crazy. I've felt huge support just checking in on here and not feeling all alone. I am inspired by you all x
Old 09-23-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

It says "newcomers to recovery" but I feel like I have been a newcomer in recovery for several years now. I tried this site 3 years ago and the longest I stayed sober was 8 days. I haven't made it more than 4 days in a row since then.

I ordered a stack of books recommended by people on this website and devoured them. I weighed AA versus Rational Recovery. I went to AA and was creeped out so went to online AA meetings and chats. Talked to my husband "Yes, Honey (my new old pronouncement) I have dumped the alcohol and am quitting. Yay for me right?" At first he was glad to hear. I have since stopped making this statement after about the 30th time....when his reaction was a roll of his eyes. He's right.

I've tried the Bible, prayer, friends, church. I've tried not counting the days and focusing on doing positive things to replace drinking. Made a list of all the things I could do instead of drinking...carrying it with me in my purse. Journaling. Went to a counselor a few times. He said he couldn't help me until I stayed sober more than a couple of days. Hmm.

Went to the doctor. I told her about the drinking. She advised me to go to AA. She said my liver tests came back normal. Great! No damage yet so off I go to buy alcohol. It is ridiculous, I know this.

Got a dog because my kids are older and I wanted a "baby." Thought that would nurture my innermost reasons for drinking (or something along those lines.) Now I have a creature who loves me even with my wine breath.

After all this failure I am left with very little hope that I will change. My husband says he doesn't believe I can. I would have to agree. All this failure makes my already low self esteem even lower.

I know this drinking will kill me if I don't stop. Some days I don't really think I would mind dying. When I try it gets me no where. Staying numb...well, at least I'm maintaining the status quo.

SO, here I am AGAIN. Looking for....I don't know....whatever might give me hope to try again I guess.