Notices

Class of September 2014 part 2

Old 09-23-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

BottleBlond-- being aware of the problem is halfway to solving it. It's scary stopping, because drinking is so familiar and by nature we're so very resistant to change. Sometimes, instead of taking it one day at a time, you have to take it one hour at a time. But-- if you want to change, you can, even if its only in baby steps.

I've got 10 days under my belt now, and it's not been easy-- but each day sober makes achieving the next one easier. And participating here on this forum will help a lot. It may very well be the support system you need to stop drinking once and for all.

You can do it!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Zetec - your not crazy! Glad your made it through the day. Do it again tomorrow...

Bottleblond- I'm sorry your having a rough time.. Maybe give the meeting another shot?

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-23-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

It's 9pm here and I've made it through Day 2. I felt pretty good until around 3pm when I started getting a bit anxious and irritable. 3pm is when I would have hit up the package store just before the kids got home from school.

I rode it out by making some iced tea and cleaning. I also realized how badly I wanted to be able to come here tonite and say that I made it through another day.

I'm thankful to be here with you all
Old 09-23-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Hey guys. I regained my 24 hours and an ready for another 24. What a bullpoop moment. 2 weeks gone because of the AV. I'm sorry.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  
Administrator

hiya Bottle blond and Countrygirl - welcome back

D
Old 09-23-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Bottleblonde- I don't know how many times I told the hubby that I was done with the drinking. At least 30+ also. He just naturally assumes that I am drinking even when I am not. Your drinking pattern sounds a lot like mine used to be. I haven't went more than 2 weeks in at least 4 years. It really started progressing in the last year or 2. Drinking 4,5 nights in a row at times. That's when I came to the realization that I needed to quit. I have been trying all summer with a lot of slips but did manage to gain more sober days than not. I am back on day 4 because of a small slip I had. 3 drinks and then I dumped the rest out. I haven't been to AA but I do plan on going to a meeting on Friday. I am really nervous about my decision because I have social anxiety and walking into a room full of stranger's is not my thing. Stay with us and don't lose hope This has become a rather large group so you will find lots of support here.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

It is 10:30 here and by the grace of God I have made it to 48 hours clean and sober
Old 09-23-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, this is ANewDayNYC (I’m having an issue with my other account).

In terms of sobriety, I have been doing well – I am on Day 10.

Other than that I have been dealing with some issues (I am getting over a breakup, pretty stressed out and unhappy with my job, and just feel exhausted/tired all the time). I have to push myself to get out of bed in the morning.

Since I have been working through my pain, I think it makes my daily routine even more difficult. Long lines feel even longer, and crowded subways feel even more crowded.

Normally, in the past I would escape with alcohol but I am trying my best to stay on track. Going to try to get back into the gym to deal with my stress.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

bottleblond that is really positive about your liver! Now you just need to get your mind healthy so you don't let the drink voice take over. I think the liver test was really brave x
Old 09-24-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Well it's my day 2 and I am feeling positive today. I feel sooo much better than yesterday. Keep up the good work everybody x
Old 09-24-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Day four (again) here
Old 09-24-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

New to Class of September but not sobriety

Hi guys, day 2 again for me and Soooo disappointed and angry with myself. I drank a full 5 days on holiday last week. Only time I left the hotel room was to go back to the airport. I am so upset for my OH, what a holiday for him, however we spoke this morning about moving on and using the relapse as a positive. I can't believe how good sobriety is too this. What a way to remind myself. I had been sober since 22 July. Again, just after I came back from holiday last time. Did the same thing then. Sobriety is so much better than this, obviously holidays and days off are a trigger which I will learn from
Old 09-24-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Waking up to day 4. I had an unusual craving last night--I don't normally drink during the work week, but have blackout binges on the weekend.

Also, had an invitation to visit a friend whom I'd normally drink with. I managed to dance around the question and avoided making a commitment to seeing her. (Maybe that was it?)

I'm finally de-puffed from the last weekends indulgences and my clothes/rings fit better. I'd like to see how everything feels after a whole weeks and WEEKEND of not drinking, for once.

Have a great day, guys
Old 09-24-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  
nmd

Day 10!!

Things are still pretty fragile I guess. My resolve to stay sober can be pretty beat up with drinking triggers at times, but over all I'm feeling really good and I've been trying to take it easier on myself. I turned down the wine grapes I was offered on Monday. I could have made jelly or pies or something, but it would have been an AV storm in my head; I have enough other stress to deal with. Have a great day September class!
Old 09-24-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Day 5 here. Congrats on day 10 We can do this. Don't let the AV get the best of you! Have a great morning class and a nice sober day
Old 09-24-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BottleBlond View Post
It says "newcomers to recovery" but I feel like I have been a newcomer in recovery for several years now. I tried this site 3 years ago and the longest I stayed sober was 8 days. I haven't made it more than 4 days in a row since then.

"Do not fret, this is typical for me and others"

I ordered a stack of books recommended by people on this website and devoured them. I weighed AA versus Rational Recovery. I went to AA and was creeped out so went to online AA meetings and chats. Talked to my husband "Yes, Honey (my new old pronouncement) I have dumped the alcohol and am quitting. Yay for me right?" At first he was glad to hear. I have since stopped making this statement after about the 30th time....when his reaction was a roll of his eyes. He's right.

I've tried the Bible, prayer, friends, church. I've tried not counting the days and focusing on doing positive things to replace drinking. Made a list of all the things I could do instead of drinking...carrying it with me in my purse. Journaling. Went to a counselor a few times. He said he couldn't help me until I stayed sober more than a couple of days. Hmm.

Went to the doctor. I told her about the drinking. She advised me to go to AA. She said my liver tests came back normal. Great! No damage yet so off I go to buy alcohol. It is ridiculous, I know this.

Got a dog because my kids are older and I wanted a "baby." Thought that would nurture my innermost reasons for drinking (or something along those lines.) Now I have a creature who loves me even with my wine breath.

After all this failure I am left with very little hope that I will change. My husband says he doesn't believe I can. I would have to agree. All this failure makes my already low self esteem even lower.

I know this drinking will kill me if I don't stop. Some days I don't really think I would mind dying. When I try it gets me no where. Staying numb...well, at least I'm maintaining the status quo.

SO, here I am AGAIN. Looking for....I don't know....whatever might give me hope to try again I guess.
Hi Bottleblond! Thanks for coming, we're here to help.

How long have your been drinking? Has it been steady for years or is it progressing. Are your children grown-up and out of the house? Do you work?

I've been drinking hard for about 10 years. My drinking was caused by ritual partying. Then by the financial stress and having more responsibilities. Furthermore, by the euphoria that vodka, tequila or Crown gives me.

I've spend the past 3 1/2 yeas on SR trying to figure out what made me drink and why it was so difficult for me to quit. I came to an honest conclusion that it was many, many things. It was growing older while looking back into my past, to daily impacts. I could literally give you 15+ reasons and they could be different on any day, week or month. That is what made it so difficult. I used it as a crutch for everything until all my problems went away and it became a habit.

I also realized that drinking gave me much less control than I thought, because I was being dragged-down by it. It gave me instant gratification and a short means to think clearly, but it was all down-hill from there!

I don't know what AA tells individuals? But this is the method I've used. This works for me, by asking myself "why do/did I drink everyday" and "You've come such a long way". I realized that there's no place in my life for this torture anymore.

And so, I continue to battle!

Let us know more about your situation if you are willing to share. We're interested in getting to know you!
Old 09-24-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Starting Day 3. I have some morning chores planned and want to color my hair this morning too. Have a therapy appointment at noon. I need to work on shutting up AV during those few hours between 3pm and 6pm. Have to figure out a new routine/distraction for that timeframe.

Wishing you all a good sober day!!
Old 09-24-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Day 12

Yesterday I had a good day. Felt grumpy but still managed to make a dent in piles of work I couldn't do because of WD. Great dinner with H, who also commented that it so nice not to fight almost every night! (I don't remember those fights, but apparently I can be pretty mean when blacked out). Also I notice I am feeling more comfortable in my skin, less worried what other people think.

Thanks for all the comments on weight gain. Glad I'm not the only one. I agree, we should all just focus on sobriety for now. I actually went to the doctor once this summer with stomach pain and my stomach had gotten bigger. He said, "it's fat." Embarrassing! Briseis--I didn't know that about alcohol being processed first and food turning to fat. Eek!

Will check in later to see how everyone is doing.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Good morning class! Starting day 24. Cold in atlanta this morning!!! In think sole suggested the book sober mercies here ?? Really good book. She hid it from her spouse also.., anyways have a good day!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-24-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Hi classmates! Starting over at Day One here. It's a shame I gave in to the AV, but there you have it. I think it caught me in a moment of weakness.

I won't give into depression and feeling bad about it though, I have had too many years of that and I REFUSE to do that to myself and beat myself up over it.

Will work harder this time, if that's what it takes.

Hugs to everyone.