Notices

Class of September 2014 part 2

Old 09-28-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Day 2 starts now.

Yesterday was a nice enough day. I was pretty drained and tired and fuzzy-brained for most of the daylight hours because of the excessive drinking from the day before. Luckily work was just steadily busy enough to keep me occupied but not busy enough to cause stress. I was supposed to work from eleven in the morning thru the whole evening but a co-worker wanted to pick up a shift at night so I was able to be home by five. Came home, took a little nap, fixed a nice steak dinner for myself and then went to a meeting at what will probably end up being my AA home group.

It was birthday night and there were a ton of people there, most I've ever seen at that group, probably 150 people or so. Lots of people celebrating sobriety anniversaries from one year to 38. Whole lot of laughter and joy at this meeting, that was nice to see. I pretty much stuck to the sidelines but did have short conversations with a couple of people I knew. I didn't make any grand confessions of this being my first day back or anything, though I'm sure the people who recognized me already knew. I'll save that for a smaller meeting where I feel more comfortable. But still, I left with a smile on my face, came home and got a good night's sleep. No thoughts of drinking yesterday at all. But I'm sure part of that was just the horrid hangover.

Work again all day today, I probably won't be able to get out of working tonight so no meeting. But that's OK. Working is part of living a normal life, right?
Old 09-28-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Good for you! That birthday meeting sounds both interesting and exhausting/overwhelming to me at 11 days sober. I've only been to one meeting so far (the last time I tried to quit, I went to some in the 9 months I stopped drinking in addition to an outpatient group twice a week...that was small, and better than AA for me). I completely understand about work, and how it can be both a blessing (distraction!) and a curse (tiring, and hard to re-adapt to). We are in this together. You have a lot of support here. You can do it!
Old 09-28-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

I made it through Saturday--major accomplishment!!

Now, today I'm going to a friend's house to make salsa and I know they will be drinking. I am going to stay resolute. I already have some go-to reasons why I'm not drinking and will bring myself a coffee to keep myself on track.

I promise to take a 5 min break in the bathroom if I get a craving to drink.

Plus who wants to start the week with a hangover?? Not me
Old 09-28-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

These past few days have been difficult for me.

Yesterday, I went out with a friend and drank two beers. Somewhere around this time, I decided I don’t want to drink anymore. So when we went to dinner after I just ordered a soda. After that, I decided to just go home to make sure I avoided being around alcohol.

The good news is I feel I actually want to quit again. However, the previous few days I felt reluctant to staying sober.

Even though I had relapses, I have made huge progress in cutting down the amount I drink. However, I know complete sobriety is the ultimate goal. So today is Day 1 (9/28/14) and glad to be a part of this class.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

ANewDayNYC, I think it's huge you were able to limit yourself--I really suck at that.

Yay for being back on track! Today is a good day to be sober
Old 09-28-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Thanks Briseis - great job with not drinking on Saturday, and I think bringing the coffee is a good idea.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Seeker of Enlightenment

Once I get through today it will be three weeks sober, and three weeks browsing SR daily.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Day 16

Hi, everyone.

Yesterday started out great because I did some positive things (like eating and reading SR). But the little headache I had turned into a MONSTER headache. And I have another headache today. I'm getting pretty frustrated about constantly being derailed from my plans due to physical pain.

Is it possible this is still withdrawal? Seems weird at 16 days. I used to get migraines a lot when in a high-stress job, but I read they were exacerbated by drinking, so I assumed when I stopped, they would. They didn't. Overall I've had MORE headaches since I got sober than when I was drinking! ???

I am grateful that today and yesterday were not migraines (just severe headaches) and that I didn't drink out of frustration. Grateful that at least I'm trying to stay healthy physically; I assume they will pass once I'm sober awhile.

But, really, this is getting to be a bit much.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had headaches for a while too safeandsound.
Make sure you're hydrated - not too much coffee or other diuretics...plenty of water etc

It could be tension too.
Do see your Dr if you are concerned

congratulations to EJM, FM NT and SobrioVida on your milestones

welcome back ANewDay

Getting sober was one of the hardest things I ever had to do - I think drinking here and there makes it immeasurably harder.

Be good to yourself and go for the gold

D
Old 09-28-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Day 2. Drank lots of seltzer! No desire to drink. Spent a lot of time on my boat. Quiet. Slept awesome last night. So if this feels so easy, and I feel so much better, why am I compelled to donut again in a while and start the same old crap all over again. I am happier, healthier and more present when I don't drink. And thinner! Day 2. Grateful.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Checking in. Day 28. Great Sunday! Recovery lifegroup at church was awesome. I leave there so happy! We did a pumpkin patch farm today with the kiddo.. Ready for another great week ! I hope you are also!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-28-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Checking in…Made it to day 7. I'm psyched. I'm heading into October sober, and plan on staying that way - thanks to the support I have found here!
Old 09-28-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Hey Class of September! We are in the home stretch! Two more days to round out this lovely month. Stay strong, we can do this! =D
Old 09-28-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Anyone into techno? This huge festival called tomorrow world is 2 miles from my house and it has been soooo loud all. Weekend. Long!
Old 09-28-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Administrator

For all those who don't know...

at the end of the month this thread will 'graduate' to the Daily Support forum - I'll leave a redirect link.

A new 'Class of October' thread will take your place here in Newcomers forum for all those who will be quitting in October .

D
Old 09-28-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Made so much salsa today (and canned tomatoes).

No drinking was done by me it was easier than I thought, mostly because I wasn't pressed to drink. My friend asked me once if I'd like some wine, and when I said no, no big deals were had.

So, yay, one weekend and one social situation down. Hope to keep it up long-term!
Old 09-29-2014, 03:29 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alynn View Post
Anyone into techno? This huge festival called tomorrow world is 2 miles from my house and it has been soooo loud all. Weekend. Long!
I love electronic music! What event is it?
Old 09-29-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

We continue here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

D