Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 14

Old 07-10-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Hi Fools, I miss all of you, and feel badly for being so scarce. I've been working almost non stop about 18 hours a day for what feels like forever, but after Sunday it will be mostly over.
I haven't had a chance to read the postings for a few days, and I really hope you are all doing well. All of you are in my thoughts every day.
It's going pretty well here in festival land. It's only a 3 day event for ticket holders, but it's a several week ordeal for me, which is an improvement, actually. I used to cook for all of the volunteers that put this thing on, and that was a 6 week gig, so in some ways I'm getting off easy now. It takes about 20,000 volunteers, entertainers and vendors to make this happen for the roughly 45,000 people who buy tickets. As that ratio may indicate, efficiency is not our priority... It's a lot of work, but a lot of fun, too. Of all the people involved in this event, I'm the only one stupid enough to both coordinate a volunteer crew and to vend, but I really don't know what to do with myself at a festival if I'm not working.
I was worried about managing my work hours here without using anything to keep me going, but it seems like adrenalin, caffeine, and b vitamins are giving me all the help I need. this is my 29th year working this event, and the first time I've ever been here without drugs, usually a lot of drugs, and I'm feeling really good about that. It's been easy to decline what's been offered to me, and though I've gotten a surprised response a few times, people have only been positive and supportive when I've said I'm staying clean now. As dysfunctional as this community may be, it's still the most non judgemental and supportive group of people I've ever encountered anywhere, and I feel very grateful for it.
I feel very grateful for all of you, too.
I look forward to catching up on all that's been posted here as soon as I can.
Stay strong Fools.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Howdy Folks,

Adna- sounds like everything's going well- I'm quite intreged w your world. Glad you are able to at least enjoy some aspects of what sounds like a lot of hard work! Also can't imagine ever cooking for that many people-wow.

Present- I know you said you may not be checking in for a while but thinking of you. When you talked about comparing your problems to those happening in other parts of the world, I thought about my husband telling me that(at the risk of this sounding completely wrong), "I have an African sitting in my shoulder". I always make comparisons like that too. Like my problems are really insignificant... compared w the rest of the world.

Kelly Turtle- congrats on 10 days!

Applekat- I have a lot of respect for you: your strength of character shines strong as you continue forward with honesty and resolve in this very difficult battle. Hugs!

Well, I'm trying to figure out how to have some healthy down time. I'm not very good at being proactive about taking care of myself... And just having fun. We've gotten a lot done so far this summer but I'm worn out! Think I will institute a stay-in-our-pjs-and-read-all-day soon. Must have more fun.

Nite, fools
Old 07-10-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey guys - so glad to hear things are looking up for a lot of us
Let's keep it going!

D
Old 07-10-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Thanks, Izzy. I'm trying, I guess. Not good enough, though.

Day 1's.....sigh.....love that I'm back at it, but hate starting over.

I started reading Parched.

Also, heard recommendations of the Rational Recovery site but didn't know exactly where to start on the website. Anyone familiar? Is it just reading/technique?

Ok. Night, Fools.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a RR devotee, but I think the 'crash course' is the best place to start from what I've heard Applekat - and yeah it's a technique.

D
Old 07-10-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Dee - it makes me smile whenever I see your signature quote. I bought a fresh hardcover copy of "Oh, the places you'll go!" with the plans to have my daughter's teachers sign it each year along her way to high school graduation and give it to her then.

Gotta love Dr. Seuss.

And, thank you. I'll check that out and see what I can use in my own recovery.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

Adna, I've been thinking of you, I'm glad your festival is going well and that you'll be able to rest soon.

Just a quick run through our weekend strategy, if anyone wants to join me:

When the AV/gremlin calls:

1. Post on SR to alert the the rest of the squadron about the attack, and request reinforcements.

2. Drink some water or other healthy drink.

3. Eat a tasty snack.

4. Take some exercise, get some fresh air.

5. Take a nap.

Make sure there's plenty of healthy stuff in the fridge, so no one needs to go shopping at a challenging hour.

Also, I wonder if it helps some of us to have some fixed plans over the weekend, so that there's not too much unoccupied time.I know some of our creative and spontaneous folks may find it a bit restrictive, but it might be worth a try if anyone feels that the weekend is going to be a challenge.

Hope everyone has a good day today.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Also, has everyone seen the weekender thread in the newcomers section?
Old 07-11-2014, 02:00 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-11-13-a.html

D
Old 07-11-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee, I was just trying to work out how to post the link, and you did it for me!

You are supernatural aren't you?
Old 07-11-2014, 02:05 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL not at all - just lucky

D
Old 07-11-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Hey all, just checking in. I'm at ** days now (which means you're at 90 doesn't it UP? I think you're April 12 and I'm April 11...). It's 5:30 AM and I've been up for 3 hours already. Listening to sports talk radio and drinking coffee. Only got about 5 hours sleep last night, but that's actually a little better than it has been most of this week. Here's hoping the trend continues.

Glad it's Friday. I'm thinking I should try getting out of town this weekend. Might do me some good.

Hang in there guys!

edit: Why on earth is it filtering out the number ninety-one? Is that some new lewd slang I'm too old to understand?
Old 07-11-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Hi Kitten, maybe it's a secret code that will press the wrong button in some underground government hideout somewhere. You can't be too careful with the number ??
Old 07-11-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Kat, it's great to see you on the weekenders thread too.

Everyone, please take a look if you can, it's very inspiring and energizing. Just the thing for an upbeat weekend.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll check out the great ninety one mystery

D
Old 07-11-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on that many days anyway

D
Old 07-11-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Thank you, Freein. I am enjoying the weekend thread theme. I need a little extra Hope right now.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Pan, how's the move going?
Hope it's all going to plan.

I'm in the process of packing a small bag for my trip to London tomorrow. It'll be an early start, so I may not be able to catch up with you all in the morning. I'm hoping that there will be WiFi there so that I'll be able to check in to SR while I'm there.

I'm excited about a trip away on my own, but also a little apprehensive because this will be the first time away since I started my sober life. I promise to take my own advice and post on SR if I feel the gremlin is lurking. I know that one simple action will nip it in the bud. I don't want to throw away 12 weeks of healing, I've come too far for that.

This feels like a bit of a challenge actually. My health is so important to me, the worst case scenario is I just jump on the train and come home. That's ok, I can do that (This is turning into a bit of a pep talk).

Anyway, I'll check in later.
Hope everyone's having a good day.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
greenturtle

Good luck this weekend everyone! Have frun in London Free - I love London

Random AV thoughts the past day or so but ignoring best I can . Maybe I'll check out the weekend forum too.

{Hugs} to you all especially those of us struggling!
Old 07-11-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Hello everyone.

Thanks kitten, today is day 90. Of course I could care less if it was day 9. I thought karma gave me a reprieve from my past but I was wrong. I guess I only have myself to blame.

No inspiration today. Just can't bring myself UP to do it.

Hope you all have a great day and a great weekend. Stay sober.