Notices

A thread of hope for the weekenders! July 11-13

Old 07-10-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thumbs up A thread of hope for the weekenders! July 11-13

Every morning I woke my heart started pounding... What did I do? ... What condition am I in? ... Will I make it to work? ... And every day I hoped this would be the one. It never was for thousands of days in a row.

Started to feel a little human by noon and that's typically when I had an hour or two of a reprieve. I felt a little like I can do this. My desire to stop was greater than my shame. For just a moment.

Then 3 o'clock rolled around and my mind turned on me. Hope was no where to be found. By 5 o'clock I had my first double shot down and was heading toward my daily blackout.

This is the newcomers section and I thought maybe this weekend we can collectively provide a little hope to those earlier on this trial or maybe gain some insight from those a little further along.

As with any weekender thread it's NOT required. Simply join in and hitch a sober ride for the weekend. *Ring Ring* It's that simple.

The last couple of weekends have been a blast! But I want to be sure that our primary purpose is not lost and that newcomers can get something from our chatter and banter as well as a good laugh!!!!

So keep the humor... The pictures... The postcards (love you Olive!) coming but maybe insert a share here and there about your proudest moment. Something that stuck with you that helped you string two days together and then some!

Welcome to the weekend!!!!!!!

Ken
Old 07-10-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Bacon and Shotgun!

My happiest recovery moment was the night I was getting into bed and I realized I hadn't thought about alcohol all day long. That had not happened in years - I was always obsessed with it. I think it was day 82 of not drinking when it happened. I just lay in bed smiling. 25+ years a slave, and I was starting to feel free. It was wondrous.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

RING RING --- riding the sober train to Monday! Thanks Weasel!

Old 07-10-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well I didn't get shotgun, but I'm riding in the front of the bus. Good call on the purpose Weasel.

I will say that the day I came home from work in shame - alcohol screening didn't show .000 - I was done. I 'survived' years of drinking. Some call it being a functional alcoholic. HIGHLY FUNCTIONAL I was. Except I only functioned when I had to. Not when I could escape from reality whenever the opportunity arose - which was basically any time I didn't have to work. But I got by pretty swell alright.

I decided to never drink again because it affected my life immensely. I lost my career. No income etc.
Early I still struggled with urges to drink, make no doubt about that. I went to a lot of AA meetings in the beginning. I also discovered rational recovery. I made a vow to never drink again and never change my mind. Once I did that the tension of going through life wondering if I could drink again or will I relapse for a spell all went out the window. It was a refreshing feeling. I never have to drink again. WOW!
I studied up on Buddhism and different ideas of how to live life. I looked at the steps and learned from that. And learning how to properly meditate is something to do for all.

Enjoy Being Sober Weekenders!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'll add this: I am experiencing many things for the first time without drinking. Like yard work for instance. Whenever I got the overwhelming desire to open a beer, I came inside and logged on to SR. It helped me get through many weekends and evenings.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exhausted & sleep deprived, but Sober (day 3)...I head through the weekend on the sober bus. Committed to 100% sobriety.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yay! Another weekend thread means I've made it another week going to bed sober every night.

Excellent.

Little things mean a lot - phrases, songs, moments in nature that take my breath away. I see signs everywhere that support my decision to stop drinking. It's just really great to be alive with no worries about the future or guilt about the past. Living in the moment.

The only way I got to this point was by not drinking. At about two and a half months I started getting lots of insight and joy. Hang in there, those of you just starting. It gets better if you want it to get better.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Some call it being a functional alcoholic. HIGHLY FUNCTIONAL I was. Except I only functioned when I had to. Not when I could escape from reality whenever the opportunity arose - which was basically any time I didn't have to work.
Goodness, I can relate to this. It is one of the things I wish terribly to leave far, far behind.

Eyes on the prize.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Going for sober weekend #1 again.
I am thrilled to know how good I'll feel when
Monday morning rolls around!
Thanks everyone!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in for this weekend!!

For me I knew I had to quit when I woke up from my last drunken day completely hungover, unable to keep any food down, throwing up all day. I looked at my husband and my kids and just knew I couldn't do this anymore.
That was 33 days ago. With a lot of prayer, and a lot of SR I haven't had a drink.
If I can do it I really believe anyone can.
Thank you for this thread. It keeps me sober and hopeful every weekend!!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hope.
I thought there was no hope for me. I almost drank myself to death from perceived lack of hope. The ER, then the hospital, then rehab gave me an unintentional five weeks of sobriety and then the power of 'one day at a time' kicked in. I agonizingly put together hundreds of one day at a times. And even though I may not have noticed it, each day, somewhere in that day, was a minuscule bit of hope. Eventually I could actually feel the chunks of hope in my ‘I will not drink today’s’. And then it got better. And better. And better.
There is always hope. Always. Even if you don’t quite recognize it. It is still there.

I am in for the weekend!!!!
And, I have postcards to share!!!!

Thank you Weasel, for another thoughtful start to our weekend!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Greetings, my fellow Whee!kenders!

I've been scarce around here this week, partly because I've been busy and partly because I made kind of a conscious decision to stop spending so much time online. I've been reading and catching up on some little projects, the kind like "when I have time one day I'll (do this)." So things have been getting accomplished and I'm feeling good.

Just had to count--Day 45. I've been doing some reading on Rational Recovery and I like the idea of not counting days. Back on Memorial Day I made a decision to stop drinking and I have. These days I'm happy and productive. On the couple occasions I've been tempted--ahem, this past weekend--I pull out a letter I wrote to myself when I was in the midst of my last lethal hangover, detailing all the ways in which I felt horrible and reminding myself that it was completely self-inflicted. I have too much good going on in my life to kill myself like that.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

My proudest moment came when "I don't drink" became my natural response.

Now, let the frivolity begin!

TEN (10) THINGS I KNOW ABOUT YOU

1) You are reading this.
2) You are human.
3) You can't say the letter ''P'' without separating your lips.
4) You just attempted to say the letter P without separating your lips.
6) You are laughing at yourself.
7) You have a smile on your face and you skipped No. 5.
8) You just checked to see if there is a No. 5.
9) You laugh at this because you are a fun loving person, and everyone does it, too.
10) You are probably going to send this to see who else falls for it.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"My happiest recovery moment was the night I was getting into bed and I realized I hadn't thought about alcohol all day long."

Still waiting for this one. That must be nice. My happiest moment has been waking up on weekends and realizing that I wasn't hungover! It's been about 50 days, but for some reason I still expect to be hungover when I wake up on a Saturday. It feels so good to realize the sun is shining, it's 7 am, I'm rested, and the world is my oyster for another day!
Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Happy Weekend, everyone!

I love that now that I'm sober, the world is full of possibilities. I can chose to do or not do as much as I like but the option to do things is there. When I was drinking, it was all I had to pull myself out of bed, shower, and dress for work.

I have my brain back. I'm taking a summer calculus course and will be continuing my education to become a mechanical engineer.

I don't sit around thinking about drinking. Do I have enough vodka in the house for the night's blackout drinking session? Maybe I should get another bottle just in case. So much time and energy wasted just planning my drinking.

No more panic about what I said or did the night before. I now remember what I did and I have nothing to be ashamed for.

If it's your first sober weekend, hang in there! We've all had to do it and it gets easier!
Old 07-10-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is the first time I am communicating this. I chose my profession because I could drink and do it. Yes, I deliberatley chose a drinking lifestyle. Fast forward... it got to the point that I was useless until about lunch when I would start drinking; then I'd pack up the cans or bottles and work, work, work. I am so delighted to be off that crap. All I can say is I just got totally sick of the same old drunken crap. It really was becoming boring and predictable. I am So much happier, and much more productive now. I'm having fun again at my work!
I also must say that SR has been and is my only method. I read all the time and it helps. Like fertilizer, you can't really see it in the soil but it sure does something positive.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for this thread. Hope. I like it.

I need to make this a sober weekend.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm on board. I get little reminders sometimes of why I quit drinking. And why I stay quit. I will write more on this later but for today, my reminder was in court for work. I'm on the threshold of 50. I'm kind of vain about my appearance and "do I look 50?" Well, there was a woman sitting in court, a defendant, who is two years older than me. Just by looking at her I could tell she was a drinker. Fire engine red face, puffy and saggy. That could be me if I hadn't quit. It's a hard life. Appearance is the least of it but it is the most visible reminder.

I also go to meetings which leads me to I am heading out of the office so I can go to one. Haven't been in over a week.

Also - BigSombrero, if you are out there, let us know how you are doing. I read about the earthquakes hitting Mexico and Guatemala.

And Charlee, I think you said it was Syracuse New York you were visiting. I hope your family is okay there.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
And learning how to properly meditate is something to do for all.
halp! LOL
I have tried and tried. I cannot shut my thought faucet off.
Any tips? books? youtube? HALP!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Im IN for the weekend! Saturday I will be celebrating 4 months without alcohol!