Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 14

Old 07-23-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  
greenturtle

Present - I second Luc's suggestion of a low carb diet. Also drinking a probiotic daily. I just started Good Belly at Whole Foods. It messed with my stomach the first few days but now I feel better. I'm thinking of starting my son on it. He was bad eczema and I ready somewhere yesterday that sometimes probiotics help.

Areyoukittenme - AWESOME JOB on 102 days!!!

Scotty - You are back on here so and you didn't let the slip continue. That's good! I had nearly two months when I slipped. We all know about the depression afterwards. Keep your head up.

Hope everyone else is great!
Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Scott good for you. Sounds to me like you're doing great! Does your wife know your decision to stop drinking? If not, I suggest you speak to her about it. I don't think I'd be able to do this without my husband's support. He likes to drink and we have had a lot of fun involving alcohol over the years. I had to ask him not to drink around me for a while because I know it would be too tempting.

Well there were bad storms last night. I was worried that a tornado would come, despite no watches or warnings. Then when I finally fell asleep I had nightmares about tornados.
Why must I be so paranoid and fearful?!??
Old 07-23-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Soli, if it makes you feel any better my anxiety level has decreased considerably over time. I was almost paralyzed w/ it the first month or two but it's mostly manageable now. Of course if it's something you've always struggled with then quitting won't make it go away completely, but I'm sure recovery is making it worse for a little while.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Hi Scotty!
You may have meant to post in the June thread since I know you from there. But well done posting anywhere! You've done what I did on my slips. You came right back to SR and jumped on the wagon. And yes - I knew if I didn't, it was probably back to daily drinking for me. I know what I want/need to do. All the sober days count for something. Just take it as an opportunity to remember WHY you want sobriety and how you felt after drinking. Keep on keepin' on.

Oh, and I LOVE Shawshank Redemption!
Old 07-23-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Thanks AppleKat,

Yes, it was meant for the June class. Oh well, nice to meet the April class, albeit by mistake. Sounds like a great bunch of folks. Consider the flub an April Fools (yeah, that's a corny pun)
Old 07-23-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Scotty we refer to ourselves as Fools occasionally.
It is a great group. Feel free to pop in whenever though!

Part of our Fools Bargain is to post on here before giving in to cravings/AV. I struggled with that in the beginning. I post more and more now when I'm having the feelings before giving in. People can help talk ya down. Work in progress that's for sure.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Great to meet you Scotty, you're back on track again. Sounds like you have a better plan to keep the gremlin at bay when it appears again. Skip the guilt if you can, and try to focus on your healthy sober future.

I'm off to my bible study group, see you all later.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by areyoukittenme View Post
Hi all! 102 days here. I feel bad because I hardly ever post anymore unless I'm having a hard time. I'm reading, though, just not a lot to say.

Glad you're back, ChickChick.

Present, I used to get heartburn all the time until I found out I was allergic to the bananas I loved to eat. Do you know if you have any food allergies?
Wow congrats on 102 Kitten!!!! I don't think I have any food allergies, but I am going to experiment with cutting out dairy to see if that's the culprit. I'm off to the market to buy coconut milk yogurt today
Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I read this morning that low carb was helpful so I will give that a whirl too. I am going to see if I can find the papaya supplements as well. Hope everyone is having a good day!
Old 07-23-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Present, good luck with your dietary experiments. Coconut milk yogurt sounds yummy. I've not come across that before.

I seem to be incredibly busy at the moment. I'm not sure I can pinpoint exactly what extra things I'm doing, but I have no idea how I ever had time to waste each evening being in a stupor. It seems so alien to me now.

Having said that, I'm aware that relapses can happen when the mind becomes complacent, so I'm still vigilant.

I love being on this sober journey with you all.
We're moving forward day by day towards a healthy, happy future.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Kitten

D
Old 07-23-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Hey Freein,

Did you check out the book Buddha's Brain yet? The first parts are kind of dry and very scientific. Chapter 4 is called Taking in the Good. It is something I have been practicing with my therapist and have started doing on my own along with meditation. Really interesting and useful stuff
Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Day 90!!!!!!!!!
They all kept telling me in AA 2 years ago that 90 and 90 was the best way to beat the bottle.
90 meetings in 90 days!
So true.
I have used SR everyday for 90 days, joined the greatest team in the world, the april fools, and have not had a drink!
Happy with myself today!
Could not have done this without the fools!
No way known!
Thanks to all of you for your help, patience, experience, stories, jokes, humility and compassion.
I love being sober, walking taller.

Hope all are well.....

Picturesa nd next chapter when i hit the community centre for their computers!!!!!

Stay tuned........
Old 07-23-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done obo

D
Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hope everyone in Class of April 2014 is doing well.

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
Handling situations directly and honestly is one of the greatest benefits of sobriety.
Wow man, this really struck me. Great point Top.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you Ghostly - hows tricks?

D
Old 07-24-2014, 12:33 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Cheers Dee!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:37 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 102 days Kitten, and on 90 Obosob. You're both doing so well, and I'm proud of you, and all the other fools as well.
It's 4:15 at the Newark airport, and I'm about 12 hours into the worst travel arrangements to Florida ever. I should be there in about 5 hours, if all goes as planned. This place is just waking up, I've been here for a little over an hour, and it's very strange to be in a place this big when it's nearly deserted and everything is closed. It feels much better now that there are at least a few signs of life.
I'm going to see my 94 and 96 year old grandparents, and then heading north to see a friend for a few days after that.
The last time I saw my grandparents was in February, and I've been warned to be prepared for how much my grandfather has declined in the last few months. I'm worried about how I will find him, but glad to be getting to see him now. I've had long standing plans to visit in September, but decided to go now too, because of his rapidly declining health. I've always been really close to my grandparents, and have been dreading this phase of their lives for years.
Again, I'm struck by how much easier and less stressful it is to travel without large amounts of drugs on me, how much better I feel in general, and how much better prepared I am to face the difficulties of life, no matter how much they suck, from a place of sobriety. I am so grateful to be on this journey with all of you.
Have a great day Fools.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Congrats Obo!!!!!!!! Inspirational!

Adna - safe travels and a nice visit. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Great work Obo and Kitten, these weeks are just flying by aren't they?

Present, the book's on order, and I'm picking it up on Saturday. I've downloaded the sample pages on to my kindle, but rather than buy the kindle version I thought the actual book would be better so I can easily flick pages back and forth. It's a book that I'm sure I'll enjoy devouring, so I'll try to catch up with you!

I have a few days off work, and I intend to catch up on some housework.

My Mum has just had an MRI scan to find out why she's suffering from significant cognitive difficulties. We're fairly sure she has Alzheimer's. It's so sad to see a parent suffer so much. I think I'll need to up my game in terms of support for her and Dad. It's difficult at the moment.

There's also a bit of tension here at home at the moment. My Nephew has asked us to look after his cat for a while (probably indefinitely), I said we would, but unfortunately my OH is not at all keen, in fact he's dead against the idea (he doesn't like the idea of it catching the birds or little mammals around here). There really is no where else for the poor thing to go, so it's a tricky situation.

Adna, I hope you have a safe journey. It's such a privilege to know your grandparents as an adult. The relationship with my grandmother when she was still alive was something special, it's funny how it can be easier to connect with grandparents than with parents. I hope you have quality time together.

Hope everyone's doing good today. It's almost time to reinstate the Fools weekend bargain.