Class of April 2014 Part 14

Old 07-22-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Adnamaeel View Post
Good to see you back ChickChick.
CC, ....Same here !
Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Hi Chick!! You can "talk" whenever you are ready; I'm so happy to see you back though!

Big hugs.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Thanks guys
Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  
greenturtle

Hey Chick! Glad you are here
Old 07-22-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Hi Chick, glad you're back.

Quick question: Are any of you having digestive issues? One of the main reasons I quit drinking was because I had graduated to whiskey and vodka over the last year and was drinking heavily (like over half a 750 ml bottle a night). It totally destroyed my stomach and now I have terrible heartburn/acid reflux no matter what I eat. I do not want to take any prescription or OTC meds for the symptoms, I want to heal it. So I started eating yogurt every morning to help replenish the flora in my gut, but even that is killing me. I am considering the paleo diet as I have read that very low carb/raw foods are really good for healing the gut. Has anyone else had any problems? If so, can you share anything you have done that helps? I am living on Rolaids right now and it sucks.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Blood Countess

Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Lucrezia I have some pink manic panic that I bought a long time ago. I think I'll put a streak in after I get it lightened more. I would love to do something outrageous, and I would if it wasn't for the kids. To say that the place we live now is not culturally diverse would be a huge understatement, and I don't want to risk them feeling embarrassed or anything. Then again, I also want to teach them to be themselves and not conform. Tough call!
Hey I was on day one again a couple of weeks ago. Don't get too down about it. The important thing is that you're on here talking about it. The sober days you've had still count. That's one of the things I learned from this class that has helped motivate me. I forget who said it. It's really easy to get depressed when you screw up, but you've got to remember you are on the right track. You could just say screw it and not care anymore.
I don't go to any meetings so you should also be proud of yourself that you have and that you plan on going to more.
Hey I can only assume you like Halloween as much as I do It's my favorite. ANd that's something I'm using as motivation. I feel like I've got a few good months to get in good shape inside and out to rock an awesome costume. And if I'm a good girl for a few months I feel like I might just deserve to buy a super special one. Maybe that's something you could consider as well.
That is a good idea, about Halloween! Yes, I love it too. BTW, it's almost 100 days until Halloween!!
Like tomorrow. Or, in some odd hours....

Yeah it's a tough call, on the hair/individuality thing. I would say just go for it, but, I live in a pretty liberal place so it's easier said than done.

So I haven't been to any sobriety meetings yet - it was other meetings I had been going to (for all my other issues, haha). But tomorrow I'm talking to my counselour, and shall explain all... see if I can find a good group to go to (I have a list of a bunch of them... kinda overwhelming) and maybe meetup with someone before the meeting, or something like that.

So if I'm going to count sober days since I started, then I believe I am at 85!!! Holy frick!!!

Well.... wow. I actually feel kind of proud of myself. Just.... wow. Thanks!! I feel much better now. That is 85 days that I haven't touched booze. That is great.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Luc, that is fantastic! You have to be proud of that! I think counseling is such an important component of recovery. You sound good and positive Keep it up!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Blood Countess

Yes, I have a lot of digestive issues. Paleo is great!!! I always do best on it. I just started low carb again... but with dairy. Then hopefully I can graduate to full paleo, which I believe is best. I think grains and sugars in general hurt me (including corn) and some dairy like cheese and things.

I had some super strength probiotics but those hurt me!! Apparently if I have candida or something than probiotics are no good for me at first... until I clear it up. I don't know why. but in general, probiotics are great. All kinds of fermented foods. And one day I'd like to try kombucha!

Oh, I really want to do full paleo. It is great. And if you ever feel you need more carbs, paleo can have lots of those too. But for healing the gut, yes, I think a low carb (atleast at first), no sugar type of diet is best. High fat, medium protein, low carb. But get your veggies.

Ok yeah... I also wonder how badly I've destroyed my gut with all this drinking. I want to focus on healing it. It's so hard when I'm addicted to the foods and drinks that destroy it! Argh.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Present do you take a probiotic? That could help, a friend of mines husband had horrible reflux and that really helped him.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are you trying to work out a plan Chick?

D
Old 07-22-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChickChick View Post
Present do you take a probiotic? That could help, a friend of mines husband had horrible reflux and that really helped him.
I have tried numerous probiotics, nothing so far has helped at all. I could just kick myself for treating my body so poorly all these years.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Hi all! 102 days here. I feel bad because I hardly ever post anymore unless I'm having a hard time. I'm reading, though, just not a lot to say.

Glad you're back, ChickChick.

Present, I used to get heartburn all the time until I found out I was allergic to the bananas I loved to eat. Do you know if you have any food allergies?
Old 07-22-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

ChickChick you must be busy with the kids this summer like me. Crazy!! Glad you're checking in. I've read a couple new books lately if you're interested.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Hi chick, glad you're back.........

Applekat: we got kangaroos, wallabies, rabbits, wombats, koalas, ducks and all out here, but no bears......

Top: nearly taken me foot off with the axe, dropped two dead pine trees yesterday with a heavy duty chainsaw.....

Sol: an amazing performance by you...

Dee: good to see you....

Up: your quotes rock.....

St: hope the good run continues....

Izzy, good to see you on here again....

all the fools, hang in there....!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Still got to catch up on posts
will try and upload photos of the new place......

head's good today,
good to still be sober!

stay tuned......
Old 07-22-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Areyoukittenme: AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Kitten - holy moly well done!!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Hey real quick check in just incase I'm sleepy later. I'm on a cleaning rampage but about to take some Alkaseltzer PM

Present: the yogurt might actually be causing you problems. I have read that it can be acidic. I personally try to avoid dairy. I'm not lactose intolerant but it makes me feel funky. I'd suggest eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, lots of greens! Maybe cut back on meat if you eat meat? Or maybe try and eat meat later on in the day when you aren't as active so that your body can devote it's energy to digesting and it doesn't stay in your stomach as long. Papaya supplements work really well for digestive problems. They're cheap and taste like candy. The directions say to take 3 after meals. I usually just take them if I have upset stomach.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Hey guys-

Adna- was that a bear?! Definitely sounds like a walk to remember.

Top- Frozen has been a fav around here too.
I especially liked the snow man .

Luc and Apple: y'all are cracking me up w the Halloween planning. Kinda making me look more forward to it too .

Present- hope your tummy's better soon. I like the suggestions.

Kitten- it's always good to hear from you. Hope you're doing well and that paws is subsiding.

Chick- have you identified any triggers? Also, Im learning that I have to be actively recovering or I slip. Is there anything you feel like might help you move in a different direction? I'm so glad you posted.

Obo- sounds like a lot of fun (and work). And I'm so jealous of all the wildlife you have over there! We have mostly rattlesnakes ... and mosquitoes at the moment.

Up- I so enjoy reading your thoughts. Your new sig makes me smile .

Free- you are a constant source of inspiration for sobriety. Your words have echoed encouragement for me long after logging off here more than once. Thank you.

Dee- pain just sucks. Hope you're able to get some relief.

Turtle and everyone-thinking of you all with fondness. My days are not all easy but I feel like I'm moving toward recovery slowly but surely.

❤️
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Ok, it was soli and luc with the Halloween talk ... . That's what I was thinkin'. Seriously though, anyone else with short term memory probs? Does that part of your brain ever heal?

Kat- I'm glad you're counting your sober days and recognizing the real progress you're making. I think you're doing awesome, by the way.

Nite, y'all
Old 07-23-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Good morning Juners, and some new comers.
When I posted last Thursday, I was headed out of town on a vacation for the weekend. There's no easy way to say this but I slipped and screwed up. I had one beer on Saturday and after coming home, I had several gin and tonics with the wife. I was off the board yesterday because frankly, I was too embarrassed and ashamed to admit it. I would have been 43 days in and now I'm back to 2. I'm still evaluating how stupid I was and how I allowed myself to slip up. If there is any positive, it's that I nipped it in the bud, the gin was down the train, and this morning I could get in a good workout because physically I didn't let this go on. As I reflect, the number one area has to be staying away from support, no proper planning and putting myself in a situation that I shouldn't have been in. Also, Dee has mentioned this and I'll admit it, I "allowed" myself to take that first foolish drink. One beer and it was a slippery slope. Worse, deep down I new it would be coming. The morning after the gin was the usual regret, depression and anger.

I can't run away from this problem so my decision is to get back on the horse, back on SR and back to more support. Like Red said in the Shawshank Redemption, "get busy living, or get busy dieing".

I have to thank SR for being here, in the past, this would be a breaking point and I would be down that same road and the drinking would start out slow but quickly ramp up to 1/2 a bottle a night.

Thanks for listening, I won't drink tonight. Everyone have a sober day.

Scottydog.