Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 14

Old 07-21-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Solil,
After thinking about what I wrote night I think it is a bad idea to call the law until the very last resort. *Do unto others.......* ;;;and all that.

March yourself over there and talk to them about moving into a new town, ,,ask them questions ( real friendly like ) about anything and everything , and wherever the convo leads, . then about how you used to live next to an airport, and the jets never bothered you, and you don't know why that cute little dog in the back would wake you up now , and maybe it's because I'm not sleeping good anymore since my mom just passed away , and on and on , and ask them if there would be any way you could get their number to call if it's barking and they're sleeping , and if it's alright if you come over to knock on the door at 2:30 am if no one answers the phone , because the sweet little thing might need some water , or ,maybe he's just hungry or thirsty,..........

Maybe wait till the second time to mention the dog, outside of just briefly. Maybe just go introduce yourself today !?

I hate to see animals barking to cause unnecessary tension between folks . When the solution always gets sorted out, in one way or the other eventually.

Stayed up way wa,...aaaay too late last night after work !
First night back is not the best time to do that.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
greenturtle

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post

"I once heard a sober alcoholic say that drinking never made him happy, but it made him feel like he was going to be happy in about fifteen minutes. That was exactly it, and I couldn’t understand why the happiness never came, couldn’t see the flaw in my thinking, couldn’t see that alcohol kept me trapped in a world of illusion, procrastination, paralysis. I lived always in the future, never in the present. Next time, next time! Next time I drank it would be different, next time it would make me feel good again. And all my efforts were doomed, because already drinking hadn’t made me feel good in years."
I really love this quote Kat. I remember reading it in a book I think...so true!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
greenturtle

Hi all - I haven't caught up on the posts yet. Will do so in a bit. Just wanted to check in.

3 weeks today. Feeling good Hope everyone is great!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hi Greenturtle.....er, Kelly. Lol!! It's from Parched.

Sorry bout the dog Solil.

I have 75 out of the past 89 days sober. I need to let go of the shame I have for the 14 days of slips. Typical type A personality....it's not a perfect score so it drives me crazy lol!

Happy sober Monday Fools! Hot in NY. And I realized my NyQuil I tried to take last night was 2 years expired. Oops. To the store I go.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post
Hi all,

I've been reading about post-acute withdrawal symptoms (PAWS). It's quite interesting. Seems that tiredness is one of the common symptoms, and can last on and off for some time. The suggestion is that our brains could take up to 2 years to replenish all of the neurotransmitters which addiction messed with.

I don't mind, in fact I think this is good news. It means there's a chance my energy levels will eventually get back to normal, and my brain will continue to get healthier. I can wait as long as it takes, and I definitely won't be voluntarily messing with my brain cells again.

I'm imagining that any relapse will just undo any healing that has already taken place.

91 days alcohol free, still tired, but so much more confident and clear headed than I have been for a long time.

Hope everyone's up for starting this week strong.
Congratulations Freein!! You are doing awesome. I've been really interested in the biology/chemistry of recovery, reading all kinds of stuff about the brain reconnecting - mostly because I am very impatient and want to know how long it will take for my brain to start functioning "normally". I felt like I lost the cravings right around 90 days (a few weeks ago) which I chalked up to the rewiring process.

My therapist gave me a book suggestion which I started reading last night - it's called Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love and Wisdom by Rick Hanson PhD. I'm hoping that practicing his procedures for meditation will help my brain heal faster
Old 07-21-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by geno198 View Post
Hi guys I took my stand 4.8.14... 12 days before my 32 birthday. I am happy to be sober. I am gland to be the class of April
Hello Geno! Welcome to the April Fools!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
Solil,
After thinking about what I wrote night I think it is a bad idea to call the law until the very last resort. *Do unto others.......* ;;;and all that.

March yourself over there and talk to them about moving into a new town, ,,ask them questions ( real friendly like ) about anything and everything , and wherever the convo leads, . then about how you used to live next to an airport, and the jets never bothered you, and you don't know why that cute little dog in the back would wake you up now , and maybe it's because I'm not sleeping good anymore since my mom just passed away , and on and on , and ask them if there would be any way you could get their number to call if it's barking and they're sleeping , and if it's alright if you come over to knock on the door at 2:30 am if no one answers the phone , because the sweet little thing might need some water , or ,maybe he's just hungry or thirsty,..........

Maybe wait till the second time to mention the dog, outside of just briefly. Maybe just go introduce yourself today !?

I hate to see animals barking to cause unnecessary tension between folks . When the solution always gets sorted out, in one way or the other eventually.

Stayed up way wa,...aaaay too late last night after work !
First night back is not the best time to do that.

I have bark collars on both of my german shepherds or they would bark all day and all night, and my next door neighbor is elderly and recovering from chemotherapy. But that's me. If your neighbors are oblivious, an anonymous note in the mailbox sometimes helps. Or there's this gizmo I saw on Amazon when I was looking at bark collars - search for Dog Dazer II Ultrasonic Deterrent - mixed reviews, but it might help
Old 07-21-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hi fools,
Been chopping dead trees and slashing blackberries.....
Day 88!
Checking in......
Going to catch up on posts......
New instalment soon......
Hope all the fools are going ok!!!!!

Stay tuned......
Old 07-21-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Lucrezia I have some pink manic panic that I bought a long time ago. I think I'll put a streak in after I get it lightened more. I would love to do something outrageous, and I would if it wasn't for the kids. To say that the place we live now is not culturally diverse would be a huge understatement, and I don't want to risk them feeling embarrassed or anything. Then again, I also want to teach them to be themselves and not conform. Tough call!
Hey I was on day one again a couple of weeks ago. Don't get too down about it. The important thing is that you're on here talking about it. The sober days you've had still count. That's one of the things I learned from this class that has helped motivate me. I forget who said it. It's really easy to get depressed when you screw up, but you've got to remember you are on the right track. You could just say screw it and not care anymore.
I don't go to any meetings so you should also be proud of yourself that you have and that you plan on going to more.
Hey I can only assume you like Halloween as much as I do It's my favorite. ANd that's something I'm using as motivation. I feel like I've got a few good months to get in good shape inside and out to rock an awesome costume. And if I'm a good girl for a few months I feel like I might just deserve to buy a super special one. Maybe that's something you could consider as well.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

I missed your post Luc. Welcome back.

It's dang hard isn't it?! As I posted above I've had my share of slips. BUT I always come back here, and am so thankful we are welcome, because otherwise I'd be back to daily drinking. But I'm lucky my slips have been controlled. Slippery slope.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Tops I can't go talk to them, I just can't. The thought alone gives me terrible anxiety. I agree with the "do unto others" but I forgot to mention...my elderly neighbors have complained to the owner already and nothing has changed. Also, I don't care to be friendly with him. He leaves that dog out in the pen way too often. I don't know if he ever takes it out. I do get really angry at the dog and it annoys the Hell out of me, but I have to remind myself that it's the owners fault. It's not a large pen and the dog seems young. I don't know if they let the dog out to play or anything. I have fantasized about waking over there and knocking on the mans door at 2:00am when the dog is barking.

Present I even considered buying a bark collar and putting it on their doorstep with a note. Obviously I was unaware at how much they cost. I would buy something $10 or less. But the more I think about it maybe it would be better to make a complaint because maybe they will take better care of the dog.

AK I wish I kept track last month so that I could know how many I have. Oh well. 75/89 is really good btw

Good job to everyone else too!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I agree with the "do unto others" but I forgot to mention...my elderly neighbors have complained to the owner already and nothing has changed.
Well, there's a little upside ; ..in that he probably won't know who called to report it then !

Since you don't feel comfortable dealing directly with him , I think the sooner the better ;......if the little fellow starts barking tonight, ..just call tonight.
Handling situations directly and honestly is one of the greatest benefits of sobriety.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Welcome Geno, and welcome back Lucrezia. I'm glad to see you both.
Soli, I think it's cruel to stick a dog in a cage and leave him outside all night, so I personally think your neighbor deserves to be cited, repeatedly if that's what it takes to change the situation. It's not the dogs fault, it's the owners, and if he wasn't willing to work with your elderly neighbors he deserves what's coming to him. I'd like to see people who treat their dogs that way left in cages outside all night for long enough to understand the error in their ways. I have no patience for animal cruelty at all. It sounds like the dog needs a new family...
Freein and Obosob, congratulations on 91 and 88 days, both are huge accomplishments, and you both deserve to be proud of yourselves.
Kelly, I'm glad you checked in, and am so glad you've made it to 3 weeks.
Present and Freein, remember that just because PAWS can last up to 2 years doesn't mean that it will. I think the positive steps you're both taking toward self improvement will help limit it's duration by a lot. I'm hoping that for myself, too.
Applekat, I'm glad you've come back after each slip. It proves your determination to get to the other side of this, and I'd miss you terribly if you left us.
Izzy, it's so nice to hear from you, and I hope your busy summer is going really well.
Up, I hope all is well in your world, I love your inspirational posts.
Topspin, it's always good to see you here. I appreciate your wisdom every day.
Dee, I hope your housing situation is resolved already, or really soon if it isn't.
I went on a 28 mile bike ride with an old friend today, after only using my bike twice over the last few years. I did surprisingly well, and really enjoyed it. Running into this guy was definitely the highlight of the experience. Hours later I still feel excited by it,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (79.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 07-21-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Administrator

Battling some pain issues but yeah the housing is settled for the rest of the year anyway

D
Old 07-21-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Dee, I'm glad you got a reprieve on your housing, and am sorry for your pain. I hope it passes as quickly as possible.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Dee, ...glad the housing thing is sorted for the remainder of the year. Hope your pain management program will improve, and you find more relief very soon.

Adna, ..congrats on the ride. What a beautiful looking trail !?!
Wow, that is one big bear !
It seems like wild animals always look smaller in photos. Did y'all ride up on him, or did he amble out the woods when you were taking a break ?
He looks like he prefers the trail in that capture.

I totally agree about that pooch needing a new home.

Obo, ...you sound handy with an ax !?? What do you make with the wild blackberries ? Congrats on 88 man.

Good to hear from everyone today, ....
Old 07-21-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Topspin, he started crossing the trail as we were riding on it. When he heard us he turned to check us out, but then he turned again and walked into the trees on the other side. We stopped when we saw him, and if he'd taken many more steps toward us we probably would have turned around and ridden away as fast as we could, but he didn't show any signs of hostility, just curiosity. It was a really cool experience.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Wow, Adna, what an amazing place you live. Our wildlife is generally much smaller and more docile. I also have no patience for animal cruelty, there is no excuse.

Patience, I'm going to check out that book too, it sounds just my "cup of tea".

Dee, hope the pain issue settles soon. It's been a rollercoaster few weeks for you. Despite this you've shown us the how to deal with big challenges in a healthy way, thank you.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hi all! I'm back, I can't keep drinking. I don't have much to say at the moment...
Old 07-22-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Good to see you back ChickChick.