Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 30

Old 05-26-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Hi, what does "Class of XXXXXX" mean? Is this the month/year people got clean?
Old 05-26-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeanutButterCup View Post
I am working dilligently on creating NEW beautiful memories that are perfectly wonderful and DON'T involve a drink. Millions of people do it every day. Life can be incredible without alcohol!
Amen! I needed to read this right now.

Good for you to sleep in, too, PBC!
Old 05-26-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's exactly it riotboy

Sorry about your foot NL...and about your lovely Golden too. Maybe the new dog is putting everyone out a bit? I hope that's all it is

D
Old 05-26-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry about your foot NL...and about your lovely Golden too. Maybe the new dog is putting everyone out a bit? I hope that's all it is

D
Old 05-26-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by riotboy View Post
Hi, what does "Class of XXXXXX" mean? Is this the month/year people got clean?
Hi Riotboy!!! Welcome! Classes are really just smaller groups for people to "join" and support one another. Because there are so many of us here on SR, it can make it a little bit easier to get to know others. For example, most of us joined this "class" when it formed in September 2013, because day #1 was in September. Some of us haven't had a drink since. In my case, I slipped a few times and kept coming back instead of joining a subsequent month's class because I already felt connected. There are no hard and fast rules as far as membership, really. We all just support on another.

Hope this makes sense!
Old 05-26-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
His back legs aren't working right, Dee. : for the hug.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Not sure why, but I keep getting the message I'm making duplicate posts.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
AV almost just got me.

I injured my foot on Thursday night and not only is it really painful, I haven't been able to get anything accomplished since. Taking care of the sweet but anxious Pitbull we rescued until my daughter moves into her new apartment in August is more time-intensive than she led us to believe would be the case (too much to go into here now), and she was diagnosed with mono the other day, leaving her unable to visit and provide as much relief as promised. The oldest of our two Goldens seems to be shutting down, all of a sudden, and it looks like he's not long for this world.

I've been feeling trapped by circumstances lately and it would be so nice to be able to take a little break from reality. At least that's the way I was thinking a half hour ago.

At least for today, I'm not giving in though. Instead, I'm doing this: At least for today.
Hang in there New Leaf. You know that a drink really isn't a break from reality....reality is always there. Just gets worse when we drink.

Sounds like you have your hands full. Sorry about your dog. Hope the golden comes through.

I know the feeling of being busy for everyone else. Carve out some quiet time is my advice. This always helps me when I can do it....

Old 05-26-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  
Administrator

oh I'm sorry to hear that about his legs NL

D
Old 05-26-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Thanks, Lillian. Every time I try to carve out the time I either find some excuse to take something else on or life hands me another challenge.

Reilly's 12 and the vet suspects a brain tumor; he had a seizure on New Year's day and has been have small episodes ever since. We've been basically spotting him going up and down the stairs for a while, but this morning my daughter and I had a dickens of a time getting him down. I'm sleeping downstairs on the sofa with him tonight and will do so indefinitely, now, since he'll be confused and anxious if we leave him down here alone. It'll be so hard to see him go. We got him as a pup just two weeks before my mom laid down to take a nap and never woke up. She was only 65, and her sudden loss propelled me into a pretty severe depression. He was the soft, sweet, bright spot while my little ones were in school.

You're right in that reality will always be here to deal with. Kinda rots, though, lol!
Old 05-26-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Wow ... that story about your dog is so touching, NL! She sounds like a gift from God at a time when you and she both needed the love. What a blessing to have had such a lovely life with her for these years. I pray, if this is her time, that she goes gently.

As for a moment of escape, how about picking up a new book or magazine? Or go to (or rent) a movie?
Old 05-26-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
I am still recovering from what seems to have been the flu, perhaps. Perisitant body aches and a chest congestion/bronchitis sort of issues. Had a better sleep last night, so hoping it is finally lifting. Being under the weather makes not srinking easier, especially on this holiday weekend.

If I feel well enough, maybe we will go to my dad's(and mom's) grve, for Memorial Day. it is in a nice town center in the town where I grew up and he was a WWII navy vet.

I have watched husband drink 8 beers each night, for the last 3 nights. It is bothersome/worrisome to see through sober eyes. I will address it with him once I get enough sober time to be credible, deserve respect on the subject.
Have you seen the doctor, Rochele? If you don't improve as expected, it might be worth checking out. Hope you felt well enough to enjoy your day!

I haven't had a drink since 1/10 and I'm still watching my husband (over)drink. I get annoyed with this sometimes, but I keep trying to remember that all I should focus on at this point is ME. I need to remain as detached as possible, because with the booze in the house and all the drinking going on being detached is good. I feel for you, Rochele. Hopefully, one of these days they'll get with the program and join us!

Hugs
Old 05-26-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Hi Friends. I had a really tough weekend but I didn't pick up.

We decided to go visit my brother and his family for an overnight yesterday. My brother was actually stuck out of town, but his wife is like the sister I never had so it was not weird. Anyway, my husband began drinking at 6 p.m. and was still nursing a beer when I turned in at 11 p.m. It really got to me. My SIL had a glass of wine with dinner and stopped as she always does. It just enraged me that my DH sat and drank all night. He usually waits till our young kids are in bed, but I guess he was in vacation mode. I just thought it was obnoxious and rude.

I am struggling with whether to say anything to him. As my personality profile highlighted, I avoid conflict. And I know that my recovery has to be about me. I just felt so angry at him last night. Is that wrong? Should I be able to shake it off? I am having trouble knowing whether my hurt is justified or not.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

NL

So sorry to hear about your dog. I know how precious they are. Give him lots of tender care and hope for the best !

Grace and Rochele

It must be tough to see your other half merrily drinking away. But you're right in focusing on your own recovery and not to mind what they do. Maybe explore the reasons for your resentment, separate it from the object (ie, your DH) and delve into the what and why the resentment arises. Just my two cents !
Old 05-26-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  
Administrator

I guess I was lucky in one sense that all my relationships were ancient history by the time I got sober.

I reckon it must be very hard to deal with the resentment and the self pity when those closest to us drink.

The only thing I can tell you is...I grew to love my life sober. I came to prefer it.
What other people do or drank mattered to me less and less

I hope you guys can get there too

D
Old 05-26-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

He really has been, PBC! A true gift. My mom's passed 12 years ago this upcoming Friday, so she's been on my mind a lot lately. She struggled with drinking to cure depression and was totally selfless, putting us seven kids, my dad and the needs of others first. I'm trying to do what she couldn't... break that self defeating cycle.

It's funny... READING is my favorite means of escape and I'm really into British detective T.V. series lately. NetFlix is my friend!

If you can recommend any good books, I love keeping a wish list!

btw... How was the service at your friend's Church? What a lucky friend to have you there for support! (Personally, I always walk out of Church with a smile on my face.)
Old 05-26-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

A picture is worth a thousand words

Epitome of drinking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
alcoholic.jpg (62.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-26-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Good one, Kane!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
He really has been, PBC! A true gift. My mom's passed 12 years ago this upcoming Friday, so she's been on my mind a lot lately. She struggled with drinking to cure depression and was totally selfless, putting us seven kids, my dad and the needs of others first. I'm trying to do what she couldn't... break that self defeating cycle.

It's funny... READING is my favorite means of escape and I'm really into British detective T.V. series lately. NetFlix is my friend!

If you can recommend any good books, I love keeping a wish list!

btw... How was the service at your friend's Church? What a lucky friend to have you there for support! (Personally, I always walk out of Church with a smile on my face.)
During the time my mom was dying of cancer, she suggested I get a kitty for our oldest daughter. Our prior cat had died a few months earlier and my 8 year old really took it hard. My mom was there when she opened up the box to see the kitten at Christmas. I think of mom often when I think of Baxter. He was the one walking on the kitchen counter the other day....I know he knows better....but I was thinking that my mom would giggle and tell me that cats can't be controlled and he's probably laughing at me. So...I know what your saying New Leaf.

And my dogs are my friends. When they hurt, I do too. Big hugs.

I just finished Stephen King's "Doctor Sleep," which is the follow up to "The Shining." Not as creepy as the shining, and quite a bit of wisdom about alcoholism. I read at the end the the writer is an alcoholic and I really enjoyed the messages in this book. Gotta say it was also a page turner too...good story!!
Old 05-26-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

When I started down this sober road, my husband seemed to stop too. Then I noticed he seemed buzzed some nights. Then after a few months I decided he was hiding his beer. Probably for my sake he did that...maybe for his own. I've really appreciated the effort. I wish he would quit too, but taking it out of sight was actually a good thing for me. Not sure how I feel about concealing it, for him I mean, but I gotta say things improved around here starting in September. Step at a time I guess.

I hate confrontation too Grace. So, I get it. Marriage has to include communication is what I always try and tell myself at least.