Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 30

Old 06-11-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought~ Wonderful Wednesday Edition~~
~~Focus On The Riches by Susan Jeffers~~

~Note~
Just wanted to share a very insightful and powerful piece I came across with you all. Hope you find the value in it that I have, and hope you implement some of these powerful principles into your own journey.

~~~~~~~~
"In the world to come each of us will be called to account for all the good things God put on this earth which we refused to enjoy. -The Talmud"

When I read the above quote for the first time, I gasped. First, I felt ashamed because I knew that over the course of my lifetime I had been given so much. . . and had appreciated so little. Then I felt elated. At last I had been given "permission" to enjoy. More than permission. I was being told that if I didn't enjoy, there would be consequences to pay! What a gift!

I then began consciously to look around and notice all the good things God put on earth that I refused to enjoy. I was shocked that I had never noticed these things before, except in a very superficial way. I had only glanced at things I should have embraced. Like most of us, I had an immense capacity fr taking things for granted! Since then I have learned that,

Taking things for granted is one of the greatest assaults on the quality of our lives.

When we take things for granted, we never get to see the magnitude of the gifts that are constantly being placed before us. As a result, we feel only scarcity instead of abundance.

It's at this point you may be asking, "What are you talking about, Susan? Just look around. The world is a mess!" Yes, the world is a mess. Your life might be a mess. And despite that fact, there is so much to be grateful for that it staggers the imagination.

The riches of the world envelop us, yet we cannot see.

And why can't we see? We can't see because we humans are creatures of habit. And the present habit of our society is to focus on what is terrible about life and ignore what is wonderful. Our task, then, seems very simple--to stop focusing on what is terrible in life and begin focusing on what is wonderful.
But we all know that this task isn't simple at all. In fact, it turns out to be one of our biggest challenges! The reason for this is because old habits are extremely hard to break. Yet in order to truly dance with life, break them we must!

In order to break any habit, repetition of the preferred behavior is a must!

Without it, you will keep falling back into old patterns. Repetition allows you, little by little, to shift your awareness to the sumptuous banquet that has been set before you. And you will wonder why previously you weren't able to see what is so obvious now.

It was a wise person who said, "Life is a banquet and most poor bastards are starving to death!" As you open your eyes and really SEE, you will starve no more. You will learn that. . .Your joy, your happiness, your satisfaction, and your ability to dance with life depend solely on what you pay attention to.

Thankfully, what you pay attention to is entirely up to you!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Soo close to that "time"!!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
Soo close to that "time"!!
Hang in there!!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Thanks Diesel, taking things for granted really does remove the appreciation of the moment we're in.
Br00ksie, are you ok?
Old 06-12-2014, 01:07 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Aw, guys I was talking about time for a new thread.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought it was a deadline thing brOOksie

D
Old 06-12-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Morning guys. Hope all is well with everyone.

Just back from my German lesson and realised I've been going to my tutor now for a year. I feel as though I'm making good progress. My homework this week was to write 350 words on Charles the Great (Charlemagne/Karl der Grosse). It took me a while but when I got it back I only had a few corrections which she said were mistakes that German high-schoolers would make in their writing. Enjoying learning about the history. Definitely given me a boost to keep it going
Old 06-12-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Very cool, NS! Congratulations!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I thought it was a deadline thing brOOksie

D
Yeah... That too. I'm trying not to freak out about that. "Reworking" the script ended up turning into a complete rewrite! So I'm writing 90+ pages from scratch.

Dialogue pages are not nearly as dense as book pages, but it's still a lot of work. I'm enjoying it but I am a perfectionist and get easily overwhelmed which causes me to shut down if I don't check myself!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Thoughtful Thursday Edition~~
~~Take Full Responsibility~~

~~Note~~
Today's edition is so right on time for me and is sooooooooo important I might post it for a couple of days to drive home its importance. We must take full responsibility for everything we hope to be, are and were.#TAKEFULLRESPONSIBLITY!!!

~~~~~~~
Welcome to the day that you throwback the notion that the key to success lies in anyone else’ hands but yours! Today’s Daily Word is dedicated to accepting your full responsibilities!

Your life is your life alone and no matter who you decide to share it with, the outcome of your being is and will always be in your control! Weather you go up or down, forwards or backwards, around or sideways, understand that the life you are living right now is all of your doing! The moment you take full responsibility for your life’s actions or lack thereof is the moment you begin to be free!

Blaming others for your circumstance is not only a ridiculous notion but a surefire way to ensure you stay trapped in what you don’t want! Stop blaming others for the decisions you’ve made or relying on others to get you out of your situation! YOU are the ONLY person that can help YOU! Yes, others may be here to guide you or even assist you on your quest, but ultimately YOU are in full control over your life! Accept Your Responsibility then take the power to change it!-Ash’Cash

~~Healthy Snacks~~

“Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”-Sigmund Freud

“The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same.”-Steve Maraboli

“The price of greatness is responsibility.”-Winston Churchill

“Eventually we all have to accept full and total responsibility for our actions, everything we have done, and have not done. ”-Hubert Selby Jr.

“Man is nothing else but what he makes of himself.”-Jean-Paul Sartre

“Optimism is a strategy for making a better future. Because unless you believe that the future can be better, you are unlikely to step up and take responsibility for making it so.”-Noam Chomsky

“It’s time to care; it’s time to take responsibility; it’s time to lead; it’s time for a change; it’s time to be true to our greatest self; it’s time to stop blaming others.”-Steve Maraboli

“When given an opportunity, deliver excellence and never quit.”-Robert Rodriguez

~~#TAKEFULLRESPONSIBLITY!!!~~
Old 06-12-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
Aw, guys I was talking about time for a new thread.
LOL - you know, I almost joked earlier that Workaholic is a doctor and you can tell him your lady concerns! Glad I didn't.

New thread time...hmmm, yes. I'm going for three-peat, but just for the record neither I nor anyone on my team is doping steroids. That is one drug I have not abused.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! I'm getting ready to fall into bed exhausted after yet another super-productive day. I'm really liking that feeling! My daughter's graduation Open House is Saturday, then a few co-workers from around the country are coming to stay with me from Wednesday until the next Sunday. I've been working my tush off making everything just right! It's GOOD to be excited for tomorrow and satisfied with every minute of today. Really good.

Brooksie, I'm glad you clarified because I was a little worried, too! Ha ha! The next thread ... that makes sense.

Very cool on the German, NL!

Dee, how've you been feeling lately?
Old 06-12-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

A few falls lately PBC, but battling on

D
Old 06-12-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

You're a rockstar, Dee!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks LOL

D
Old 06-13-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Has anyone heard from Renarde? I'm worried.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

No I haven't BrOOksie.

D
Old 06-13-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

I failed at life yesterday. I'm experiencing some financial difficulty so (as per usual) I hid under the covers and slept.

My little cousin had an end of school concert which I missed, and I missed seeing my 3 aunts and one of my favorite cousins (not to mention I could have gotten some money from an aunt)!

I am in a bad way. My house is a mess, my clothes are unmanageable, among other things! I have not made a meeting in 2 days.

I feel so guilty for missing the family event. Not showing up like that is something that high me would have done. I only found out about it yesterday, but still. I would have liked to have been there. Oh well.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread guys

Join us here - http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-31-a.html

D