View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
LillianGish
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
He really has been, PBC! A true gift. My mom's passed 12 years ago this upcoming Friday, so she's been on my mind a lot lately. She struggled with drinking to cure depression and was totally selfless, putting us seven kids, my dad and the needs of others first. I'm trying to do what she couldn't... break that self defeating cycle.

It's funny... READING is my favorite means of escape and I'm really into British detective T.V. series lately. NetFlix is my friend!

If you can recommend any good books, I love keeping a wish list!

btw... How was the service at your friend's Church? What a lucky friend to have you there for support! (Personally, I always walk out of Church with a smile on my face.)
During the time my mom was dying of cancer, she suggested I get a kitty for our oldest daughter. Our prior cat had died a few months earlier and my 8 year old really took it hard. My mom was there when she opened up the box to see the kitten at Christmas. I think of mom often when I think of Baxter. He was the one walking on the kitchen counter the other day....I know he knows better....but I was thinking that my mom would giggle and tell me that cats can't be controlled and he's probably laughing at me. So...I know what your saying New Leaf.

And my dogs are my friends. When they hurt, I do too. Big hugs.

I just finished Stephen King's "Doctor Sleep," which is the follow up to "The Shining." Not as creepy as the shining, and quite a bit of wisdom about alcoholism. I read at the end the the writer is an alcoholic and I really enjoyed the messages in this book. Gotta say it was also a page turner too...good story!!