Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 16

Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey guys,
We've had a tough couple of weeks, but all is looking up now we hope. Our niece's daughter, a smart and beautiful 10y/o, was thrown from her horse as it ran out of control and jumped the tall fence. She was dashed on a metal fence post and one of her eye sockets was crushed, teeth knocked out, both sides of her jaw shattered. It took several days to get her stabilized. They originally thought she had a broken neck to as one of her cervical vertebrae was sticking out the wrong way. We had visions of her paralyzed. The vertebrae was out of place and they manipulated it back into place and she is now stable. But the muscles and tendons that hold the neck together on that side are cut and torn. Today we found out that she will not lose the sight of that eye, and that she will not be paralyzed. I am happy she made it. She was spared, everything else that is fixed is lagniappe as we say down here. She is the one in the family I help with computers and tablets as gifts, and getting her acquainted with HTML and music. I hope they can reconstruct it all on the outside. She is smart enough to help reconstruct the damage inside with the help of her family. She made it, against the odds. Thank goodness the worst is behind her. Sometimes the good don't die young.

On a lighter note, Venus, good reminder of the start of this thread almost four years ago. I posted early warning everyone that I would join them in four months when I had my first year here http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3112777
Some are no longer here for whatever reason.

RZ, I did read your PC comment. But see they were on the lookout for us underage with fake IDs. White Plains wasn't really looking for us. Did you ever go To Vic Tracy's right off the interstate with the black lights and the filthy interior?

Guys sorry not to answer your kind comments individually but I am beat. Trying to catch up while my back is not giving me so much grief. With the low dose of Flexeril X3 and my Naproxin X2 I can do more than the last six months if careful. I am consulting with Laser Spine Institute of America and have some more tests this week and then things will slow down. I may have lots of time if I am right for their minimally invasive procedures.

You guys that ARE still here in the overs are a comfort. Thanks ALL!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad your nieces daughter is ok Itch. That's the important stuff right there.

D
Old 04-29-2014, 10:18 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Morning all. God, yesterday was one of those days at work when my head was spinning by the end of it....I'm hoping today will be at a slower pace. I'm not starting until a bit later as I'm visiting a pupil at another school on my way in, so I'm still in bed at 6 am. Luxury!

InPar..landscaping sounds like heavy work. I'm worn out after a couple of hours in the garden. When do you leave for Germany?

FP.. I swear giving up smoking was as hard as giving up drink for me. I didn't use the e-cig, just chucked it, but it took about a million attempts. Keep going. Keep posting. You can do it. And I like it when you post regularly...seems like old times. x

Itchy..I'm so sorry to hear about your niece's daughter. What an awful thing to happen...but she is lucky to be recovering so well isn't she? Prayers are with you and your family xxx

Dot..I think anything that goes a bit wonky with women over 40 needs to be investigated. Hormones can be responsible for general wonkiness I know. How come my iPad wouldn't accept the word wonkiness?????

Wehav..we all worry and do stupid things sometimes...but that's part of being human. I've decided not to beat myself up for not being perfect any more...well I'm trying not to anyway lol x. You are doing just great. So very proud of you my friend x

Hi Matthew, toots, MB, LDT, V, Drake, Dee. Big hugs all round. xxx
Old 04-29-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Thank God that lovely 10 year old is going to be alright Itchy.
The poor love. That's a big recovery. Sending massive love to you and your family.
As well, I hope you are able to get some relief re your back. (((hugs))).

Inpar ~ are you all packed??? Or still in the planning stage? Ooooo this is getting exciting!!!

Jen ~ I hope your FIL is improving every day love. (((hugs)))
And oh my, what time do you normally get up? 6am is early enough for me.
I know chicory usually gets up around 5.30 every day, and I cringe every time I think about it. I am a morning person, but getting up in the dark and cold is not my idea of fun. Hmmm. Perhaps that is part of being a grown up. (Still a long way to go here).

V xx
Old 04-29-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

I'm up at 5 every morning V...I have an hours commute to work, and I'm always the first one in. I call it devotion to my work, others call it obsession, but I prefer my version lol.

I do have a long day as I'm not often home before 7 pm. I think that's why I panic when I don't sleep because I know how hard the next days gonna be. Nice to get days when I can have a bit of breakfast and chat to my kids before I leave though I must admit.

Gotta dash now. Laters x
Old 04-30-2014, 02:28 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

****{dot}}}

itch, i dont remember VT's

though not to say i wasn't ever there in a drunken stupor!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Itch, thanks for checkin' in. Sorry to hear about the young girl. Sounds like she's getting the best care. Hope your back issues finally get sorted soon. I remember when you first joined the overs. I sometimes wonder what happened to some of the others from the early days...hope they are still sober and enjoying life.

LDT, always glad to read about your progress in sobriety. I've found that every year has been better than the one before it

Have a great Wednesday, all!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

Itchy, I am so glad she is ok.
Children are so resilient but that is terrifying.
I hope you, your family and her can heal over the coming weeks, months and years.
Much love.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Hey....guess I can join this group now. Hit 1 year today! Hope all are doing well.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

Things have been crazy as I'm sure you all can imagine.

I really don't have the energy for a long post and I'm sorry. I'm getting to the point in the pregnancy now where I'm just exhausted, everything takes too much effort and I can't really think too well, anyways. Kind of feels like early sobriety now that I think about it.

Anyways, I wanted to share this bit of preciousness with you all (yes I realize I'm biased). Only 8.5 weeks to go now. So much to do...so little time...and time only seems to be speeding up.

Hope you all are well. I miss you guys and think of you all often.
Attached Images
Old 04-30-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats, Dolly! Welcome to "the club"
Old 04-30-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Thanks for the catch up lotus, I was wondering how the pregnancy was going.

congratulations Dollyangel one year is superb!!

Itchy, so sad about your nieces lass, though there are positives. I'm sure her great uncle itchy will continue to make her feel the prettiest angel in town.

Jeni I used to clean pay phone boxes, got up at 3am every day.but my day ended early too.

VC be well. And thank you for the hug, you are a total sweetie.

Will catch up later, I'm feeling tired today, and as I can be, I am going to be lazy! X
Old 04-30-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Overries)

A little bit tired after my boxing class, but at least I am still kicking)

Itchy - Sorry about what's happened. That's terrifying. Glad she was lucky to escape the worst. My thoughts with your and your family.

Lotus - Thank you for sharing it with us!

Jeni - Hope your long day will just fly.

My best wishes to all the Overries.

See you)
Old 04-30-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Toots, we must be posting at the same time)

Hi to you)

Dolly - Welcome!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Administrator

How wonderful LB - good to hear from you
Welcome Dolly

FBL every time I see your avatar I start singing 'Get out the Way for Old Dan Tucker'...

D
Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post

LDT, always glad to read about your progress in sobriety. I've found that every year has been better than the one before it

Have a great Wednesday, all!
Thanks FBL , i loved reading that , it's so encouraging from you longer timers .thank you xxxxx

Itch I'm so happy to hear she is ok . They are horrific injuries for a poor 10 year old . Sending love and good healing vibes to her xxx

Jeni ....how on earth do you do that every single working day . I have so much respect for you , i just couldn't do that . Such dedication.

My darling Cat always love seeing you

LDT i hope you are resting up after your busy year , you girls are amazing , how on earth did you ever cope with those commitments and drinking . You teachers are in a good place . Kudos

Tootsie as always , love your posts girlfriend xoxox

Have a great day / evening everyone I'm off to look for steel cap boots with my daughter . She is thrilled to have landed a job in our bunnings hardware chain and starts next week .

Much love xxx
Old 04-30-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome all!

This morning I started my 1 year anniversary with having a state trooper behind me the whole way to work. It was nice not to be in a full blown panic afraid I would do something that would cause him/her to pull me over, then smell the alcohol on my breath or discover the wine in my travel mug!

It was a nice drive to work...even if I did check my speedometer periodically to make sure I wasn't speeding:-)
Old 04-30-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

dolly, that one of the best rewards of sobriety & recovery

having officer friendly on your tail and not getting all nerved up!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Hello Dolly, good to meet you. I've had that same feeling of relief too that if a cop pulled me over and asked if I had anything to drink, I could say no truthfully.

Itch, that poor girl. I hope she will be able to ride again without fear.

Jen, you're a bit of a workaholic. They must love your dedication. I actually feel bad on Holidays. ;(

I hope everyone is well this evening.

DP
Old 04-30-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Welcome to Dolly and congratulations on your year

LB...that is awesome, what an exciting time for you. If I could be granted one wish, just for myself, it would be to start over with my kids. To have their childhood as a sober Mum. Enjoy every second of your pregnancy x

It was a difficult day yesterday, a couple of the staff acting like divas and then we got news that one of our little ones has lost his sight. Severely autistic, he head-bangs and self-harms to such an extent that his vision has been affected. So tragic. Sad things happen at our school, we are prepared for that, but this got to me. He's 5 years old and it just isn't fair. All part of God's plan? I don't get it.

Have a good day everyone...love to you all xx