Administrator

One Year and Over Club Part 16

we continue from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-15-a-20.html

D
Old 04-18-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

LDT I am so sorry for what your community will be feeling. You are in my thoughts.

Last edited by Dee74; 04-18-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

IP I agree, that at some point we have to grow up and stop blaming our issues on our parents, it certainly sounds as if you have done that. If your mother can't or won't, then perhaps you need to decide whether continuing contact is good for you.

Drake, I love that you were a 'singer ringer'! Haha

DG you're right of course, we could all slap paint on a canvas, I think my issue with painting was that an art teacher actually mocked my attempt. Kind of put me off trying again. I realise how silly that is, and I will give it a go sometime!
I hope you all have a great
Easter weekend, we have the marathon on Monday, so I will find a good spot to watch that, otherwise, no specific plans.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

LDT...I'm so sorry about what has happened in your community, it is shocking. I hope everyone can pull together and find comfort in each other.

V...oh I'm sorry you're feeling so miserable. Lean on us and your other friends here for support. . Wish you didn't all live so far apart, I'd invite you round for a cup of tea and a chat in the garden. Don't reckon there's much we couldn't fix if we were all together xx

DG..having the confidence to be creative? Not needing to be perfect? That all sounds pretty sound advice. I'm going to think on that one. I love music and actually come from quite a musical background. Both my parents were accomplished musicians, and as a kid I played violin in a regional youth orchestra. But those memories are so tainted with childhood yukky stuff I've never really pursued it into adulthood. I'm getting on a bit now, probably too late to learn..but maybe...the guitar does appeal.

Toots...interesting job! So what accent do you have? English? Scottish? A bit of an American twang? No-one would want me reading books I tell you, I sound cockney. I shouldn't think there's much of a market for politics read by Eliza Dolittle

InPar...aah, parents...yup sounds familiar. I've found the whole thing with my family the hardest to come to terms with in sobriety. I think now, I'm probably the most at peace with it. We don't see each other much, but I do try and phone once a week. I am now totally accepting of the fact they are both very sick people, as much a victim of circumstance as I was, but if I have too much contact...I start slipping back to old ways of thinking. One day this week I got a text from my sister which was enough to get me anxious and resentful, and I have to keep taking little steps away to preserve my sanity. Now I'm thinking, that if I can do the right thing for them, while remembering to do the right thing by myself, I will have truly cracked it! One of my brothers is 47 years old, still lives with them, lost in drugs and alcohol. The hardest thing ever was for me to accept that I cannot help him, my parents enable his addiction, and I have no influence. He knows where I am. Maybe, one day. Oops that suddenly got really heavy too...here's a silly egg to lighten the tone ...

Well...H is at work today, and the kids no doubt will be busy, so there is no excuse for me not to get on with some school work to prepare for next week.

Happy Saturday everyone xx
Old 04-19-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jeni ~ I love the dancing egg!!

And thank you...I'm still planning on coming round for fish and chips on a Friday night!
But for now, sitting in the garden with you having a cuppa and a chat sounds like heaven.

About your brother? He heard you recently when you talked to him; all you can do is be a power of example. Which you are love. (((hug)))

I have a lot on my mind, I'm under a lot of family pressure, and I took on what has turned out to be a pretty hard job. (Physically). And I must persist with it; I need the money desperately. And I need to be a bigger person than this.

I had a nap for a little while, and I feel so much better. Next time I get all miserable, tell me to go to bed. Please!

Love V xx
Old 04-19-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

V..I have 2 brothers. The one I spoke to I refer to as my baby brother (I was 15 when he was born), he came to me at Christmas and admitted an alcohol problem. He's a lovely kind-hearted gentle man and I would do anything I could to help him. He's the one that breaks my heart. My other brother that lives with my parents has been lost in addiction for many years and is unapproachable. I haven't spoken to him about anything much for a long time. I wish I could help both of them...but denial is a strong thing. I posted my story in the stories of recovery forum. It sort of explains the whole family fiasco as was/is.

Glad you're feeling a bit better, and sorry your job is so hard. Take care of you now. Xxx. And I'm still on SR because I'm avoiding getting up to do my work..ugh. Must get going...
Old 04-19-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm hittin' the road to spend Easter weekend with the family.

Have a great weekend, overs!
Old 04-19-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ltd, i'm sure mayberry will rally around you all
Old 04-19-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Jeni))) Thank you for telling your very honest story. No words. Very emotional.

Enjoy your family time FBL.

V xx
Old 04-19-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LDT

The sun is shining, doors are open, coffee is on, zucchinis and peppers are waiting to be planted, dog is waiting for his walk by the lake, son is home from college for the weekend, H is preparing to start cooking for Easter lunch tomorrow ........ Life is very sweet today, Overs!

Have a beautiful day ( and night ) Everyone!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh Jeni, just read your story. My heart breaks for that sweet child and everything you have had to overcome. Thank you for your bravery in sharing. (((((Huge hug)))))
Old 04-19-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Overs.

I seem to have come down a bit sick. My throat feels like it's on fire. So, my plans for the day are to drive to the store and get some cough drops and then laze around with a cup of hot tea.

V- I think there are few things a nap can't fix!
Old 04-19-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

Hope everyone is enjoying Easter. Nothing to report other than I am enjoying life, and have the whole weekend off. Towards the end of my drinking I dreaded the weekend at some level as I would drink more, bad hangovers, get nothing done, lie around and get fatter and more bloated- meanwhile life went on without me.

Yesterday I rode through the hills for a few hours on my bicycle having done a long ride the day before. Seemed like another pleasant day and I thought nothing of it- the comparison to three years ago is quite stark.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi everyone My thoughts are with everyone going through hard times right now. Good day today, although tiring! Happy Easter when it comes.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

DG get well soon honey, and spoil yourself, Dr Toots orders!

FG good to see you hon, how are you? I think you are due a visit from a big yellow ball in the sky. Be not afraid, but don't sit outside too long! Lol

Instant I'm glad life is so good you have nothing much to say!!
Old 04-19-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Jeni I speak fairly Estuary English too I have picked up Scottish words and phrases rather than accent, and if I begin to sound like Lloyd Grossman drop me mid Atlantic-please!! Lol
I also have a hint of brummie in there, as I originated in the midlands.
The guys at the studio like my voice so I'm happy!
Old 04-19-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Happy Easter Everybody !!!!!!!!!!!!!

(((((((Jeni))))))))
Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

toots ~ I did not understand one word of your post until I got to the last sentence. Too funny.

DG ~ Feel better honey. (((hugs)))

instant ~ Thank You!! I love hearing that. I love knowing that I will keep getting stronger, and that my life will continue to take me to new adventures. So glad you are happy!

Happy Easter LSC and everyone here. ♥

Hello feeling-good.

Love to all,

V xx
Old 04-19-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Happy Easter Sunday everyone

I'm off to see my family today. Always a real mixed bag of emotions this...but I get to spend time with my nieces and nephews and that's good. Sometimes the more of us there are, the less intense it is and I can flit from one person to the other without being drawn in. I will go and have a chat to my Grandparents first as they are buried in the churchyard on top of a hill with the most beautiful views across the countryside. There will be lots of chocolate, lots of children laughing, and I get time with my little brother (all 6 ft 2 of him), and I can't wait to see him.

H is at work so my son is driving me and my daughter.

Easter always seems a significant time of the year to me, and I'm not a religious person. A time for growth and new beginnings.

I feel very lucky to have what I do in my life right now.

Love to you all x
Old 04-19-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Recovering

Happy Easter everybody!

I'm rather envious of people having Easter eggs. I signed up to try a vegan diet for 40 days so milk chocolate is out.