Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 16

Old 04-27-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

DG, have a good trip!

Drake, poor you. leave it all behind. A friend of mine said to always use the I when saying we won't tolerate someone's behaviour. It makes them feel less threatened. Still, that woman seemed frustrated from the get go, not much that could have been done. I hope you didn't let it get to you too much.

Jen, good luck with the next days. A stroke affects many in the family. I hope it will make you all closer to one another.

FrenchPInk, good luck with the nicotine quitting. I did that in 2007 and it was so much harder than booze but I would never ever touch that drug again. I couldn't have quit without this website: Stop-tabac.ch - Tips for quitting - forum, coach, tests it might be useful to others.

I'm going to have dinner with my parents and sisters tonight. They drink so much, it's not so much of a struggle for me as I find that I no longer have anything in common with them. The conversations have become either boring or very far from my world. What a difference a sober life makes.

On another note, for the last 6 months and even this last year, I've been having terrible memory losses, namely remembering names, and it might have to do with age, but I'm only in my forties. I have slight cerebral frontal atrophy (I only had apathy in my mind and it took me ages to rectify to atrophy, a perfect example of my memory problems) but the doctors said it's not enough to cause any impairment.

I'm sure my memory losses are due to my drinking so much alcohol but I'm upset because it's creating problems at work. I started using Omega 3, and it does help but not nearly enough. I'm going to do more brain exercises, maybe that will help. Has this happened with any of you?

Have a great Sunday everyone.

DP
Old 04-27-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Hi dorothy,

I sure can relate to the family who drinks...but I guess I am pretty blessed with the memory part of things, considering how many brain cells I destroyed.

We all have some pretty heavy post-drinking issues to deal with I guess. Whatever we can do to work on these is a good thing. Brain exercises, exercise in general I think. Loads of water, healthy food. All of these things will help I believe. And faith. Knowing that it can and will get better.

(((hugs))) V xx
Old 04-27-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Jeni the news sounds encouraging, I hope you get to catch up on your sleep. Dottie ginseng and ginkgo biloba is goo doff mental acuity. Also you could perhaps use some memory tools like they guys who do memory acts? Google it, there may be something there to help.

DG enjoy your trip.

Drake I hope you are feeling better now. I wonder if your friend is having some problems, and would appreciate a kind word? It sounds like she isn't normally so aggressive.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

((((((Jeni)))))), I'm glad Pa is with us, he will improve with help. You can get assistance with having people stop in on them. I don't know if they have this already, but nhs does this great thing with meds where they put all of his and her meds in blister packs all together by dose and time. It's great for people on a lot of meds who might experience confusion keeping them straight. When you can't be there all the time it's a huge weight lifted knowing the meds are sorted.

I'll keep praying for your family.

Drake, like toots said, a tough day just gets worse when we drink, but you knew that and didn't. I have a wierd reaction now when temptation enters my head: I giggle. It's like a reflex. It's like my subconscious recognizes the ubsurdity of drinking before my emotional/addictive head does.

FP, SOOO good to see you here, friend!! You quit alcohol, you can quit the nicotine. You rock! The whole gaping thing scares me, who knows what chemicals are in that stuff besides nicotine? They keep saying its safe because there's no smoke, but they used to say smoking was safe too... How else are you doing?

All this talk of accents had me quizzing my English partner. Ok so "brummie" is Birmingham, "scouse" is Liverpool, and being from Skipton, she took offence to the accents "Getting weirder as you go north." Lol. Her mum and brother don't have heavy Yorkshire accents, but I've found it very helpful when listening to people from there to picture marbles in their mouths when speaking. It helps me make out the words.

My accent is very boring. California flat. People in Ohio can't tell any accent. It's like an anti-accent until I slip in a "dude" or "awesome."

Have a good Sunday, overs!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
LDT

Hey Overs,

Just got back from a huge music festival. I'm now in love with this Canadian Celtic group called "10 Strings and a Goat Skin"......OMG! I could have listened all day....and night. I easily did the festival sober, although by the end of the day ( we were there for 9 hours ), I was so OVER the smell of beer and wine. It became really obnoxious after a while. That's when it was time to go find a coffee shop somewhere. We also drank "Arnold Palmers" which is just ice tea and lemonade....delicious!

Jeni, happy to know your Pa is better . Sending wishes for continued recovering.

Drake...good for you on resisting temptation. It happens to all of us. For me, when I least expect it, which is so annoying. It's just a reminder for me to never take anything for granted.

Nice to meet you FP!

Wehav...people from Ohio do too have accents " Yous Guys" . At least all my cousins do.....But then again, who am I to talk about accents when I live in the Cajun French epicenter of the country?

Hope y'all are having a fantastic Sunday!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Haha ldt, yeah Ohioans have accents to me too. But apparently I don't to them. I'm a transplant. I don't experience the "yous guys" thing here, but they do say "please" instead of "pardon" here when they want you to repeat your words. That took some getting used to...
Old 04-27-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Just catching up on posts - haven't been on here since last Saturday!! All is well with me - was gifted a helicopter ride which I took last Sunday - was very very cool. An early present from a special someone for a special birthday for me (which is next Sunday). Whew - what a lot of 'guesswork' required to interpret
Old 04-27-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Nice LDT i just listened to huginn and Muninn . Beautiful .....i need to get out more lol xx

Jeni love , i hope things are going well , much love xx

Dorothy , at my hospital they use games for memory loss or words .
Things like crosswords , scrabble (online if you have no one to play )
Get a deck of cards , turn them face down , gradually turn over 2 at a time , then try to match up pairs .

I used to have a brilliant memory , it bothered me that i remembered every minute detail about events from years past . Drinking gave me peace from that. I have a real ( or had) a really busy brain. I liked the respite alcohol gave me .

There is no doubt drinking has affected my memory , but I've learnt to adjust . It is what it is . I cant undo what's been done , but i can prevent it from getting worse.

But for all of us as we age , it's not just drinkers , these excercises stave off altzheimers etc.
:-)

Have a lovely day/ evening guys :-) wherever you may be x
Old 04-27-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dot

If you recall I had several mini strokes...parts of my memory were pretty bad - especially the searching for the right word part...

I may still search for the odd word, and I may miss a word when typing out my thoughts or type the wrong word, but I think my faculties are more or less back to what they used to be.

The brain is wonderful at adapting. Give it time

D
Old 04-27-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

That's so true Dee . Our hospital is a rehab , dealing a lot with people overcoming strokes. Or brain cancers etc .

It's amazing how the brain can be rewired over time .

It's often very sad and frustrating for the victims trying to overcome paralysis as well as trying to speak . But it can be done . You are testament to that Dee .

You were also very, very lucky !

So are we to have you . this is your calling . Xx
Old 04-27-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am very lucky

D
Old 04-27-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Thank you.

I think that sometimes, stress gets in the way and that by calming down, word recall will get easier.

Also, in my job, I'm overwhelmed with data overload and information so perhaps it's normal. But it's frustrating.

SnoozyQ, you explained very well how alcohol was a respite from a busy brain. I play scrabble now to get the "absence" I need.

Good night!

DP
Old 04-27-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Morning. Just a quick post today..I am so tired I can barely type.

Dot...it occurred to me that I had a similar problem when I first hit my 40s. I started to panic because I couldn't remember basic things and it interfered with my ability to do my job. I was drinking then too but in denial about that. Anyway..mine turned out to be hormonal. Blood tests confirmed I had started the menopause early...it seriously sent me doolally for a while. Might be worth mentioning?

Gotta rush. I honestly can barely keep my eyes open...I'm hoping the day won't be too fraught... x
Old 04-28-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
LDT

Good Morning Overs!

I confess that every time I forget a person's name or face I freak out ( doolally ).... I have Alzheimer's on both sides of my family of origin ( all 4 grandparents and now my father ) so issues of dementia or even simple forgetfulness are very concerning to me. I try to keep it all in perspective by telling myself I'm just over loaded with work. But I do agree my years of drinking did nothing to enhance my brain clarity.

It's another gray Monday .....back to the the teaching grind after a lovely week off ( sigh ) Hope you guys have a awesome week.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

LDT that would freak me too in those circumstances. And honestly the thought of losing my mind was a major factor in acknowledging it had to stop drinking. I worked with old folks some who had alcohol related issues like Korsakof syndrome and it scared the poop out of me. Not enough to quit for another 15 years til I realised I too was getting older! But hey I'm a slow learner sometimes!
Happy week guys
Jeni I hope pa in law continues recovering and you manage some rest.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

I am feeling very sentimental tonight. Thought it might be nice to take a look at the beginning of this thread that our lovely least started. Here it is: ~

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...over-club.html

V xx
Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Hi! I may be jumping the gun a little as my one year date is ten days away but I wanted to figure out where I would go to commune with others who are at a similar point. I'm guessing this is it?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I am feeling very sentimental tonight. Thought it might be nice to take a look at the beginning of this thread that our lovely least started. Here it is: ~

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...over-club.html

V xx
Thanks, V! Hey...I posted on that very first page Hard to believe that was almost 3 years ago!

Congrats, Pinkgate. Welcome to our little club. We don't mind if you jump the gun a bit (heck, we even let Snoozy in early). One year is a very exciting time!
Old 04-28-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Pinkgate, we tend to suffer from premature congratulations here anyway, so welcome to the crew! X

VC, that was fun looking back at the start of this thread, I certainly feel year 2 brings different issues which sharing with others of similar or longer sobriety really helps, I'm so glad Least began this. X
Old 04-28-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Pinkgate

D