Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 16

Old 04-25-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I'm feeling a bit better Toots. Not 100% yet, but at least 85% or so.

Anyway, keeping this short as I already spent way too long writing a post on the Undies.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
I. glasweigian especially in women sounds so gutteral,

So I couldn't sleep, thought I'd pop in to the overs, have a wee nosey and see how life was travelling for the overs......humph, shouldn't have bothered. Think u and I need to have some words Toots!!!!

That'll teach me to encroach in threads where I don't belong ......... Hi all, I plan to b back here officially in 11 months and 1 week.

I'll weegie you Toots..........
Old 04-25-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Need some prayers if that's your thing or some good vibes/positive thoughts from my friends...

My Father-in-law suffered what appears to have been a stroke last night and was rushed to hospital. He's just the nicest most loving man and has been more than a Dad to me since I've known him. We've driven up to stay at theirs this weekend as H's Mum has some physical disabilities and can't manage on her own. He was given a scan last night and we are waiting to hear the results.

It's at times like this that I feel so very thankful for sobriety. At 8 pm last night I was able to drive H to be with his Mum. A couple of years ago that wouldn't have been the case. She can be difficult in so many ways but is lost without him here. They've been married 55 years and he does everything for her.

I need to be strong for them both right now. I do hope and pray he's gonna be ok.

Love to you all xxxx
Old 04-25-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers and best wishes to you and your family Jeni.

D
Old 04-25-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
My very very strong and positive vibes to you, Jeni.

You are in my thoughts.

Hold on.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Praying for your father-in-law Jen.
And sending you all love! ♥

(((hugs))) V xx
Old 04-26-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

****{jen}}}
Old 04-26-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Jen, sending positive thoughts for your FIL today.

Have a great weekend, overs!
Old 04-26-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Big prayers coming your way, jeni.

((((((Jeni))))))))
(((((((H))))))))
Old 04-26-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Best wishes Jen.

Have a great WE everyone.

Dp
Old 04-26-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
LDT

Sending prayers, Jeni . Be strong ( I know you will be ) ....
Old 04-26-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Jeni xxx hugs

Hiya everybodyyyyyyy :-)))))))
Old 04-26-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Jeni, you and your family are in my thoughts. What ever happens you will be strong for your husband and we will be strong for you. X
Old 04-26-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

A hearty hello to you, Overs! Thinking it's been a year since I last posted here to celebrate my first sober anniversary. Looking to celebrate the 2nd sober hats-n-horns year next month, woo hoo!

I see my May class sobermates, Jeni, WeHav and others have joined this lovely crew, too, so I'm throwing my elephant paw in the mix again for continued support and camaraderie. Speaking of support, while I'm abstinent on booze and tobacco, I've decided (yes, again for those in the know) to put down my e-cig/vaping habit today. My quit success on any addiction has stuck fast and true with regular online interaction from my SR family. Just threw out the nic gear. Official word is "done." Thanks, gang. Can't wait to get to know everyone!

Big hugs to you and your family, Jeni. My prayers are with you.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Jeni, sending prayers your way.

FrenchPink, Nice to meet you. Way to go on the decision to ditch the nicotine. I had to try several (ok, a zillion) times to get the nicotine out of my life, but it was worth it.

Well, I'm getting ready to take off on a business trip later today, but I'll make sure and check in while I am on the road.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Super busy day. Was ok until I had some dealings with a lady who I have known for years who does some estate sales now and then. I had some items in her sale and I was a few minutes late picking them up. She got all nasty and rude for no reason (she was doing it to others too and had been nasty and rude when I dropped stuff on Thursday) so I told her I was not appreciating being snapped at for nothing. She got real angry and ordered me to leave, so I took my stuff and left.

THEN!

On the way home, my car died... I mean sputtered and died in a busy street. So I had to have it towed home. My car is almost 25 years old, but was not driven for years and thus has only 86,000 miles. But at 25, everything is wearing out. So I have to decide if it is worth repairing or replacing. I can't really afford either right now.

SO...

I so thought the heck with it and just get a bottle of wine from the liquor store down the street and dull out all the stress.

I didn't... I sure wanted to, but knew I could not face my SR friends without guilt.

Thanks for listening.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Drake, I'm sorry you had a bad day, but drinking would have made it a million times worse. Beggar facing us my dear, how could you have faced M'Lady O? Tough decision to make on the car, I guess see what your mechanic has to say, sometimes it's good money after bad, sometimes it's better the devil you know, so some expert advice may influence your decision. Tomorrow is another day.

FrenchPink, congratulations on your approaching 2 year mark, awesome Sauce! I am just over 13 months and graduated from the Undies where I still hang around like a bad smell.

I know we will hear when you know something Jeni, still with you sweetie. X
Old 04-26-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you all so much. Your positive thoughts and prayers mean a lot.

His Dad has had a series of small strokes. They have mostly affected his speech and ability to manage normal everyday tasks like getting dressed and brushing his teeth. I am really worried about how he will manage when he comes home and becomes full-time carer for his wife. He really needs looking after now. H's Mum can be very demanding and I just don't think he will cope.

But he's alive, and he's smiling, and would be chatting up the nurses if he could. He joked about my hair cut and warned me not to eat all his toffees while staying over at his house. I understood what he meant. H's Mum snapped at him, and I understand her frustrations are based in fear but I wish she was better at showing kindness.

We don't live round the corner and we will have to leave tonight...or at least I will as I've got work tomorrow.

I haven't slept more than about 5 hours over the past few nights as this house is like a sauna and the windows are locked shut, so I'm pretty much done in at the moment.

But so thankful Pa is still with us and I was sober and able to help. H (who is also an alcoholic but who hasn't drunk for as long as me) is holding up well. He is so like his Dad...saddest thing is his Dad didn't remember his name yesterday.

Going back to the hospital this morning to go seek out a social worker and some speech therapy for him.

Sorry for not replying individually. But...FP so lovely to see you here with us. Missed you loads. Will be back tomorrow xxxxx
Old 04-27-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Good to hear Jen...not of course that he couldn't remember your H's name, but overall it sounds like he will be alright. Is it time to get a carer in to help them do you think? I would do it in a heartbeat, but I am tad too far away.

Have a good trip DG. (((hugs)))

SO nice to meet you FrenchPink. Just about to hit 15 months sober, and a very grateful SR member. This place saved my life, and then I made some awesome friends here...I feel very blessed.

Oh Drake...life is rough sometimes. Rude people, cars that die in the middle of traffic...but we need to find some other ways to cope now that we are sober. I'm so glad you didn't buy that wine. And anyway, one bottle? In my drinking days that would have been the first bottle, before I got back in my car sloshed to buy more. We don't have to do that these days. (((hugs)))

This morning while I was out working, (I deliver clothing bags for the Kidney Foundation and walk for 4 hours at a time), I met an older lady who was on her way out and within seconds discovered she had a flat tire. I asked her if she had road-side assistance, she did, and she went off to call them. What amazed me was that this very nice smiling lady did not lose her smile, and did not let this upset her in the least.

All I could think of was how I never would have coped with anything like that in the past without a few tears, or a tiny tantrum. One day I hope to be as cool and collected as that lovely lady was.

Love to all of the Overs,

V xx
Old 04-27-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Jen, my Dad has had some minor strokes over the past few years. Luckily he can still do most things, although I've noticed that he doesn't process information as well as he used to and he also has occasional problems with his speech. My Mom has had major depression and anxiety problems most of her life. It's nice how they both look after each other as they get older. Once again, sending positive thoughts your way today.

Have a great Sunday, all!