Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 16

Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

OK....I just hit YouTube to get a clue what on earth Estuary English is.
According to the video I just watched, examples are David Beckham and Lily Allen.
Is this right Jeni and toots? If so, I LOVE that accent. Just saying.

Only Thursday? Could we please go back a few days....I need some more time this week!!

My balance is pretty good these days. I could manage the boat no problem, except I don't do yoga. LOL.

Also glad your credit card situation is all sorted FBL.

Love V xx
Old 04-24-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
LDT

Just to clarify..... I can do yoga.....and I can do boat.....I just can't do both at the same time.... I swear I think I have a slight vertigo issue 24/7, even on dry land....OK, that's your LDT " fun fact " of the week. Tune in next week for " Why I Love the Smell of Fish Processing Plants." ( it's true I do ).
Old 04-24-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Next week? We have to wait until next week for that story LDT? Hmmm.

Love V xx
Old 04-24-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

ldt
Old 04-24-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I want daily episode of LTDs FUN FACTS! can I suggest the topic for the one after ' the yummy aroma of processing fish' ... 'Downward dog and flatulence frequency, my experiences in public' ?

VC you are spot on honey. Basically Estuary English is the attempt to remove as many consonants from a word as possible with out rendering it unintelligible to another EE speaker (EE being unintelligible to most of the rest of the planet anyway)

Jeni, I have an ear for accents, I was a great mimic when I was younger, embarrassment prevents my attempts these days. I love the Edinburgh accent, but glasweigian especially in women sounds so gutteral, like the scouse accent. I was married to a Weegie for 12 years so can usually understand it! Often it is the terms used rather than the accent which baffles me, and each part of the country has their own. ( VC, I can see friction burns on your finger tips from googling 'scouse' & 'Weegie !)

FBL woohoo! Spend spend spend! When we first arrived here I had no bank account so had to pay cash for everything. I think I got more strange looks for paying $100 cash for groceries than $1.39 on a card!

Off to New York for the weekend tomorrow, hubby's birthday. Woohoo! Lots to do between now and then, so may be posting erratically til I'm back Tuesday.

DG be well sweetie

See youse guys later, you are Wicked Awesome
Old 04-24-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Oooooo toots, if my mum was here to hear you call her a Weegie you would go flying girl!!!

And you bet I googled....any excuse.

Have a fantastic time in New York. (((hugs)))

Nitey nite all,

V xx
Old 04-24-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
LDT

Ladies...please speak ENGLISH ..... Oh, wait....
Old 04-24-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

A rainy Thursday here, which is helping the grass and spring trees grow. The blossom season for the pears, magnolias, red buds, dogwoods, etc. is winding down. Nothing really shaking here, just checking with the Over crowd and wishing all well!

Old 04-24-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Overries)

Oh, here we are discussing accents) You should hear mine - I wonder, Toos, what kind of definition you would give this. Luckily, my English writing has no accent))

LDT - Looking forward to hearting your another sailing story)

I am still sober, still kicking. Finally all the red tape is done, and I have a new driving license now). I even got the international driving license as well. So, Overries - beware, I am allowed to drive abroad too)

Some time ago I started a notebook where I put down all the important things that need to be done. Most of these tasks are overwhelming and even just putting them down takes some tine because anxiety attacks me. Then I split them in the smallest steps possible and write the steps. While proceeding with the task, I mark out accomplished steps and add on new ones. And thus till the task is completed. Sometimes it takes 30 or more steps, sometimes less. When the task is done, I fold the page (s). There is nothing like writing Done! on the task and folding a page.

Some of you remember my last year's turmoil about splitting the real estate with my brother. It is in this notebook too. The other day I looked at this and saw the first step "Give a call to my brother". Mind you, I was terrified to make this step. No it reminds me that I have to do the first step in faith, and keep faith along the way.

Here's my notebook.

My best wishes to all the Overries.

Have a great day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GoalsBook.jpg (78.1 KB, 43 views)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi Overs

I'm still a bit sick, but maybe on the mend. Put a bit more artwork up on the walls yesterday. I'm really enjoying the progress around the house and things are really starting to come together around here.

Other than that, things have been really calm and quiet around here so not much to report.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

MB, I always had you tagged as sounding like some sexy James Bond double agent! It is so good to see that you are using such a visual tool to help you deal with your anxieties, and to see the big DONE is great!
Drake how very romantic your spring sounds. We have a lot of cherry blossom here, (which always puts that tune in my head ' cherry pink and apple blossom white!)
DG good to see you are feeling a bit better and are getting your house to your liking.
VC, I bet your ma would ha beeen proud to call hersel a Weegie better to her than an edinbugger any day!
Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Lol...I think of MB as sounding like that too...how funny!

Estuary English is the 2nd least desirable accent in the UK toots, after Brummie...now that really is the pits. Enjoy New York. We are planning a trip out there next year. It will be our 25th wedding anniversary (if I haven't murdered him by then) and will be celebrating by a trip over to the Big Apple.

DG...I hope you can shake the germs off this coming weekend.

V...your Mum was a wieggie?? How did you end up in Aus...that's a long way from home?!

LDT...your fun facts made me laugh. I'm on the edge of the seat waiting for the next instalment.

Okey dokey...I'd better get off to work. Friday at last. Day 2 without sugar for me...and I'm wondering what people actually do without a slice of cheesecake on a Friday afternoon..how is it even possible to survive

Have a good day everyone x
Old 04-25-2014, 12:23 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I hope you keep feeling better DG love (((hugs))).

My mum was a Scottish lass who hopped on a boat to Aus and met my dad (a Londoner), who was so gorgeous in those days that she thought he was the cruise director. Mum was sick for the entire voyage, and dad gallantly looked after his wee Scottish flower. By the time they got off the boat 6 weeks later, they were engaged.

She went to Sydney to her aunt, he came to Melbourne to work. They wrote love letters every day...so so beautiful. Just over four months later they were married, and had 62 years together. In between they had 4 kids; I was originally the baby, but my older brother died very tragically when he was 10. So they had my little sister. I am the middle of three girls. And as I have often said to friends here, take my sisters....PLEASE. They are very annoying.

V xx
Old 04-25-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
LDT

How ya feeling today DG? Did my soup help?

MB, congrats on the driver's license. Now come drive over here to see me. I promise to make it worth your effort. Thanks for the reminder about first steps. They are always the hardest.

V...lovely story about how your parents met and continued to love for over 60 years. It made me sigh. .... Have you ever seen that movie 'War of the Roses' with Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas? That's MY parents for over 60 years ..... Charming!

Ok..... so I do love "Pogie Plants"..... Or fish processing plants..... The reason for that is because I use to live on a salt water lake that was fed by the Gulf of Mexico . We literally would fish, shrimp, and crab for our food ( not always, but a lot ). When we would go to fish in the Gulf we would pass by this Pogie plant and the smell would practically knock you out of the boat. But it always made me happy because it was a sign we were almost in open waters, where all manner of gorgeous fish were waiting for us...... So my love of the Pogie plants is just because it's one big fat TRIGGER! And we all know how powerful triggers can be, right? . To this day, that smell anywhere makes me smile.

Happy Friday folks!
Old 04-25-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Thank you LDT ~ I can visualise that. Wow, what an interesting life you are having. Even if your parents were like Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner in that movie....will never forget the chandelier scene....what a great movie!

Sorry, forgot to mention how impressed I am Midnight with your notebook. I do that too. But not to the degree that you do, and I love the "done" part.

V xx
Old 04-25-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Overries)

Toots, Jeni - you ladies gave me a kick - James Bond double agent! Now I will check the way they talk. Funny thing is that I have quite a low "veiled" voice))

Toots - Have a great trip to New York!

Jeni - congrats on 2nd day without sugar? What people do on Friday without a cheesecake? A lot! As someone who's done somewhat 200 day without any sugar I will share with you some ideas)

DG - Get well soon!

LDT - Oh, I would love to drive to see you! Thanks for sharing your story about Pogie Plants)

Venus - Glad to see you) Yeah, "Done" part is the best!

My best wishes to all the Overries.

Have a great Friday!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi overs!

Jeni, you got this no sugar thing. When you starve the sugar dragon, she cowers in the corner... Did you say New York? That's not far from Ohio...

DG,I hope you feel better! Glad your home is taking shape, that's a great feeling

Mb, wow you are organized girl!! I'm curious, does your accent when speaking English sound like a James Bond villain? That would be awesome....

Ldt, I soooooo want an ldt fun fact of the day!!! I have fond memories of being on stinky tuna boats with my dad. One time he was unemployed for a year and had to take a job on a swordfish boat. We were broke, power once got shut off, but we were eating swordfish every night.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
LDT

Oh man, Wehav .. Swordfish everyday .... Sounds like heaven to me .

And Jeni .... Ditto wehav on the sugar.... As far as I'm concerned you've already done the hardest thing by getting sober .... Quitting sugar is as easy as pie comparatively ( oops .... Or should I say as easy as Paleo pancakes cooked in coconut oil topped with raw honey

And wehav lies.... Ohio is NOT close to New York ..... Louisiana is
Old 04-25-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Venuskitty, that is the very sweetest story!!! I am sorry about your brother. You can have one of mine. Actually I looove my brothers they are awesome. They helped raise me through my teens after mom passed away. We joke that I was raised by wolves, I mean guys...
Old 04-25-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

"Estuary English is the 2nd least desirable accent in the UK toots, after Brummie...now that really is the pits."

So it is official, my accent is a mongrel of the two most despised accents in the country! from now on a vow of silence. ( yeah, like who'd take bets on that!)

Wehave it's a James Bond double agent not villain!
And MB the more you describe it the more it sounds like you would floor the guys in Britain or USA!

LDT I can't share your love of Pogie Plants, obviously, but I sure can understand yours. It's great when a trigger can strip the years and send you back to a good moment. ( not so nice when it just triggers an AV moment!)

DG hopefully you are on the mend

VC you too.

Happy Friday, Overries xx