Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 16

Old 04-19-2014, 11:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hello, everyone! I mostly post in the Newcomer's section because every day it feels like I'm still new to sobriety and learning. But truth be told I guess I'm around a year and a half or so sober. The not drinking part is actually the easy part. The whole figuring out my life part is trickier!
Old 04-19-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Hello, everyone! I mostly post in the Newcomer's section because every day it feels like I'm still new to sobriety and learning. But truth be told I guess I'm around a year and a half or so sober. The not drinking part is actually the easy part. The whole figuring out my life part is trickier!
Hello MOS, lovely to see you here...and you too Michael...unless you have been here for ages already (oops).

Except for the part MOS, I'm right with you...figuring out my life is a big task. One day at a time.

Love V xx
Old 04-20-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Overries)

I am still here, still sober, still kicking)

I felt a big wave of anger arising in me today. Still anger about a lot of staff in my past. I decide not to let it ruin my dy, so hit the gym quite early and just destroyed my legs with 50 kg squats and 60 kg deadlifts.

Now planning a long walk, enjoying a good weather and dropping for cup of coffee at McDO where I can sit and write. The red tape with renewing driving license will proceed next week, so I need some time to recharge batteries.

Welcome, MOS! Great to see you here.

And you, Michael, too)

Jeni - Sending positive vibes your way while you are visiting your family.

I am not religious either. I treat Ester like a light sunny holiday when people can share some kindness. And today I am trying to be kinder to myself.

Happy Easter, Overries!
Old 04-20-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Michael what a time to pick to go Vegan! I will consider it my duty to eat an egg for you. I wil bear than mantle.

MOS, totally agree, I'm beginning to realise that is what year 2 is all about.

VC how are you feeling now? If this job is more physician than you realised make sure to keep looking, it does get easier to apply for jobs if you are already working.
I've thought for a long time we ought to have a thread here where folk could perhaps offer their skills and if anyone in their area knows of a job could suggest them! 'Refer a recovering drunk' !
Yes my post was aimed specifically at Jeni, knowing she would understand the accent I was trying to get across,-mongrel and certainly not cut glass!

Jeni, sounds like you know how to ensure you get the best fb rom today and dodge the worst. I hope it is a good one for you.

DG I hope you are feeling better now

LDT in sure your Sunday service will be a poignant one. Thoughts are with you all

To all my other Overrie friends, have a wonderful Easter.. Xx
Old 04-20-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

HimMB, good to see you here, I'm not surprised at your anger, there is a lot for you to be angry about from your past, I'm glad you are now beginning to correctly externalise it, believe it when I say that is a real move forward. It is frustrating too that you cannot direct that anger at the specific target, so gym work will help. Don't feel bad about feeling angry, for you it is a positive feeling, you will learn to let it go, but for now, feel it, understand it, and let that punchbag absorb it all. Xx
Old 04-20-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Happy Easter overs

no gluttony please! lol
Old 04-20-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Myth- I agree that there is much to learn when it comes to living life.

MB- Good to see you here. Way to go on deciding to not let the anger ruin your day, hitting the gym and trying to be kind to yourself.

I am still sick so I plan on taking it easy today.

I've never cared much about Easter, but this is my first year not celebrating 4/20. I'm pretty proud of that.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Mos

Hope everyone had a good Easter

D
Old 04-20-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Easter and all the singing over. I am voiceless now. Did a lot of neat stuff, but too much. Sang for services Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday. Big Easter brunch at a friends. The Bloody Marys looked good, but I passed and had a spicy Virgin Mary (or three, who was counting? and did it matter??)

Hope all the Overs had a great weekend!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Morning guys. Hope you feel better soon DG.

My day with family was ok. It was lovely to see my baby brother. We don't get to see each other often, and we've arranged to go out for a meal just the 2 of us, in a few weeks. He's got 2 little boys of his own now, and he's such a great Dad to them, I'm so proud of him. He didn't drink at all yesterday so maybe he has sorted himself out.

I had a bad night though, lots of nightmares and I am the tiniest bit (well, a lot) frustrated over this. Today is a new day, the sun is trying to shine, and I must go do a few hours of school work before I run out of time as I'm back tomorrow.

Happy Monday everyone x
Old 04-21-2014, 01:14 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Funnily enough I also had some very weird nightmares last night Jen.
And I, too, woke up frustrated, and a little worried.

I still have some pretty intense smoking dreams. I still do whatever it takes to get the drugs in my dreams. I know, I did this for 30 + years, so it's not surprising that my sub-conscious is holding on. But it is just so vivid. I wake up feeling so horrible.

Glad you had a nice time with your family, and that your brother seems to be doing well.

Feel better DG sweetie. (((hugs)))

Love to all of the Overs,

V xx
Old 04-21-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Hi Overs,
I've been gone awhile but wanted to pop in and say Hi! By the grace of God, I am still sober. It has been 4 1/2 years now. I hope all had a wonderful Easter. We had a warm, sunny day so it was spectacular. It was a rough winter and I am coming out of my funk. Good to be back and see new faces.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Lovely to meet you Kablume. ♥
And what a gorgeous avatar.

V xx
Old 04-21-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
LDT

Congrats Kablume and Good Morning to all!

Easter lunch with the parental units was relatively drama free.....I did my duty and am relieved it's over. There was one issue that could have escalated, but I just walked away and didn't engage. I, too had trouble sleeping last night, though.....I dreamt of raccoons (???) . In the dream It was supposedly my pet but it kept biting my dog. Weird.

I have a few days off to regroup . On the boat as I type....drinking coffee, hearing seagulls and gently rocking. Its a Beautiful morning
Old 04-21-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kablume

D
Old 04-21-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi Kablume good to see you. Jeni, it is hardly surprising you would have dreams last night, you were faced with nightmares from your past. Please try not to get frustrated, you cannot control your subconscious mind. All you can do is recognise that it is telling you that you still have unresolved emotional issues, which I'm sure you are conscious of anyway.
I still regularly dream I am shouting at my father, or punching and kicking my exH. I recognise them for what they are, I have a lot of anger inside me that I have been unable to externalise. Perhaps one day I will find a way to, but regardless, I know it is there, I know why it is there and if I wake from one of these dreams I just accept that it hasn't gone away.
VC I still dream of smoking cigarettes sometimes, and I have been a none smoker longer than I was a smoker. In my dreams I inhale and really relish the feeling. Strangely, having smoked dope almost as long as I smoked cigs, I rarely dream of that! Wierd!

LDT raccoon pet huh? Maybe you are holding too tight to the wild side of you and need to let loose a bit! While you are afloat, spend the day talking like a pirate! Lol

For a change, I don't remember dreaming last night. I have very convoluted and imaginative dreams usually. ( OMG, I just remembered as I was writing this I did dream; I dreamed I was trying to run a shop with hopeless staff and snotty customers, and my (late) best friend was on the news as having shot a butcher?) strangely I actually think I can figure where some of that is coming from. Hmm, need to think on this!

Happy sober Monday one and all. It is Marathon Day here in Boston, and I will be standing there cheering on the Boston Strong. There is such a sense of community in this city after what happened last year. It may seem odd but I feel a part of it.,my hubby had text me to say he had been offered the post here. Hours later news trickled in about the bombing. There was never any doubt in either of our minds that we would still come here, and because it all happened on the same day, I have felt a kinship somehow. I hope that doesn't offend, I know claiming a tenuous link to a disaster can seem self absorbed, and I don't really mean it in that way. I might not even have felt the same feeling if, having moved here I didn't love the city as much as I do. I don't know. All I do know is that I paid my respects last Tuesday, holding back my own empathic tears out of respect for those who truly suffered, and today my cheers for those running and those supporting, especially those who were here last year, will be loud and emotional.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Overs.

I'm still a bit sick, but I think I may be getting better. I have a busy week ahead with a lot to get done before leaving on a work trip this weekend. I really hope I get to feeling all better soon.

When I was drinking heavily and smoking a lot of weed, I never had dreams. So now, even when I have strange dreams or dreams of drinking or smoking, I think of them as a blessing and a sign that my brain is better off now.

Toots- I think as people most of us can feel for others when they go through a tragedy even if we don't go through it ourselves. Nothing disrespectful in that, just a sign that you're a healthy, kind person.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

great seeing you kab

and get well soon DG
Old 04-21-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hey DG, and Drake and Toots, good to be reunited with you guys here. And MB!!!

DG, I hope you'll get better soon. A Virgin Mary sounds like an amazing idea. I should have had one when I was watching Blue Jasmine and I was insanely craving wine.

LDT, what a tragedy. And it has deep echos doesn't it, affecting the whole community.

IP, I had a similar relationship with my mother but decided I wanted to keep a relationship with her because I missed her too much if I stopped talking to her completely. I started to heal the day I truly saw how ill she was and my anger and pain turned to compassion and pity for her. Sadness too, she cut herself off from so much love, creating resentment instead. However sick our mothers are, they are not 100% monsters and it's this small portion of kindness that I try to hang on to.

I hear you when you say these subjects are heavy but if not on SR, where else can we open up this way?

I was very happy for the visit. I will try to be more present here.

DP
Old 04-21-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey K! WB and Grats! I'm absent a lot too now. Good to see you post.