Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 8

Old 01-28-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Yes, Bilr, I am definitely having a harder time getting good sleep. I have had a lot of nervous, keyed up energy as of late, that I am hoping is just situational and not my natural way of being.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Yes, Bilr, I am definitely having a harder time getting good sleep. I have had a lot of nervous, keyed up energy as of late, that I am hoping is just situational and not my natural way of being.
Exactly, I feel tired earlier in the evening, but when it is time to go to bed it is terrible. Laying in bed stressing about things, etc. It has only been about the last week so I'm hoping it's a phase. I even had a dark thought of, "maybe a drink would help me sleep". It wasn't a serious thought, just one out of frustration.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

I'm sleeping much better than when drinking or trying to recover from. I think regular running/exercise really helps a lot. Yesterday I jumped out of work for an hour to go for a run since the sun was shining for a change. Felt exhilarated afterwards and had a very productive day despite taking the hour off.

I have decided to become more selfish in my sobriety: if I want to go for a run, I'm going to. If I want a new pair of shoes, I'm going to buy them. If I want to relax and watch tv, so be it. Time to start living for a change:-)
Old 01-29-2014, 01:50 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
I'm sleeping much better than when drinking or trying to recover from. I think regular running/exercise really helps a lot. Yesterday I jumped out of work for an hour to go for a run since the sun was shining for a change. Felt exhilarated afterwards and had a very productive day despite taking the hour off.

I have decided to become more selfish in my sobriety: if I want to go for a run, I'm going to. If I want a new pair of shoes, I'm going to buy them. If I want to relax and watch tv, so be it. Time to start living for a change:-)
"I have decided to become more selfish in my sobriety".

Here, Here brother!

My train has already left the station.

And I couldn't feel better for it.

I've got plenty of nice and thoughtful to go around. For the time being, re-set button is reserved for me and what makes me feel better.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

I have had a lot of anxious moments this past week. I like to put on this persona that I am this cool, laid back, chill, full of faith kind of a person, but unfortunately, if I am honest with myself, I am often a mess of nerves. About 15 years ago, when I did a lot of therapy for my family of origin issues, I was put on Paxil for anxiety. I felt really, really good on Paxil. I stayed on it for about 2 years but then I got pregnant with my daughter so I got off of it. When I was on Paxil, I did not drink a lot, but I did gain weight and lost some libido, so I wasn't real eager to get on it again. I think now that a lot of my heavy drinking was self-medicating my natural tendency to anxiety.
It's probably a little but of both Dolly. You acknowledge in your post a few days ago that you have a natural tendency to anxiety. AND you are also dealing with some stressful situations right now (e.g., house hunting, impending changes in family dynamics with your first headed to college - maybe??).

My take (from data geek side of me), you probably fall in the upper portion of normal part of bell curve in terms of innate proclivity for anxiety. Under everyday circumstances, this "style" is business as usual with no tension for you (if your like me, your natural anxiety may even serve you well under these everyday conditions; facilitates effective planning and execution).

But then add in some (legit) stressors and a tipping point is reached.

From an overthinker, I'd love to give the following advice (and live it): Don't overthink it. Not worth the energy. Just recognize where your at and have confidence in your ability to work through the stressors and get back to your copacetic state.

How do I attempt to do that? I know I'm repeating but maybe its worth it: I typically try to work one thing associated with the task that gets me the most bang for energy buck spent (it's reinforcing so then I'm energized for the next step).

Sorry if this is too simplistic or if I'm stating the obvious. Hope it helps DD. Hang in there...you know you are going to get through this...you ALWAYS do.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Driver1 View Post
It's probably a little but of both Dolly. You acknowledge in your post a few days ago that you have a natural tendency to anxiety. AND you are also dealing with some stressful situations right now (e.g., house hunting, impending changes in family dynamics with your first headed to college - maybe??).

My take (from data geek side of me), you probably fall in the upper portion of normal part of bell curve in terms of innate proclivity for anxiety. Under everyday circumstances, this "style" is business as usual with no tension for you (if your like me, your natural anxiety may even serve you well under these everyday conditions; facilitates effective planning and execution).

But then add in some (legit) stressors and a tipping point is reached.

From an overthinker, I'd love to give the following advice (and live it): Don't overthink it. Not worth the energy. Just recognize where your at and have confidence in your ability to work through the stressors and get back to your copacetic state.

How do I attempt to do that? I know I'm repeating but maybe its worth it: I typically try to work one thing associated with the task that gets me the most bang for energy buck spent (it's reinforcing so then I'm energized for the next step).

Sorry if this is too simplistic or if I'm stating the obvious. Hope it helps DD. Hang in there...you know you are going to get through this...you ALWAYS do.
Driver, you hit the nail on the head with this! Thank you so much!! You are right that for the most part my nervous energy allows me to accomplish a lot of tasks in a small amount of time, but when I hit overload, I just feel a mess.
I am wanting to stay med free if I can. I just prefer it that way.

Sober Marathon, you ring true with the exercise advice, as well. I haven't gone to yoga for about 1.5 weeks because my yoga buddy (my husband) has been sick and my son actually got a job at our yoga place as a front desk person (I found him the job and he loves it. He's using it as an excuse to grow a goatee LOL). He was in training for the most part so I didn't want to embarrass him or make him more nervous by hanging around there.

About two weeks ago I was in the best "place" I had been in a long time, mentally and physically. Sobriety was really feeling like a forever, no brainer kind of a thing, but then all of this stress hit. (On top of it all, my employer's brother has been told he has about two weeks to live, so my poor, dear employer/friend has really leaned on me, too, which I am happy to be there for her, but I have found it heart breaking and stressful, too.) Anyway, the lesson I have learned is that I can never take my sobriety for granted and like SM, I have to learn that I am going to have to put " me first " at times, if I want my life to go in the direction that I want it to go in.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Oh, BTW, four months sober for me today!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

One last thing: I have a good movie recommendation. You can rent it on Redbox if you are in the states. The movie is Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine. You basically watch Cate Blanchett's character unravel, which, admittedly, is uncomfortable to watch. She swallows Xanax like candy and washes it down with vodka. Very thought provoking movie . . . I find myself thinking about it a lot after watching it a few nights ago. I personally think it is one of his better movies. It put me in mind of his Matchpoint.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

I am actually sleeping waaayyy too much....may be just to get a break from all of this stress....
Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=DoubleDragons;4438095]Driver, you hit the nail on the head with this! Thank you so much!! You are right that for the most part my nervous energy allows me to accomplish a lot of tasks in a small amount of time, but when I hit overload, I just feel a mess.
I am wanting to stay med free if I can. I just prefer it that way.

Sober Marathon, you ring true with the exercise advice, as well. I haven't gone to yoga for about 1.5 weeks because my yoga buddy (my husband) has been sick and my son actually got a job at our yoga place as a front desk person (I found him the job and he loves it. He's using it as an excuse to grow a goatee LOL). He was in training for the most part so I didn't want to embarrass him or make him more nervous by hanging around there.

About two weeks ago I was in the best "place" I had been in a long time, mentally and physically. Sobriety was really feeling like a forever, no brainer kind of a thing, but then all of this stress hit. (On top of it all, my employer's brother has been told he has about two weeks to live, so my poor, dear employer/friend has really leaned on me, too, which I am happy to be there for her, but I have found it heart breaking and stressful, too.) Anyway, the lesson I have learned is that I can never take my sobriety for granted and like SM, I have to learn that I am going to have to put " me first " at times, if I want my life to go in the direction that I want it to go in.[/

You need to put your sobriety first and all else will fall into place. What I mean is go and do yoga today. Your son knew you were going there when he took the job. It's no coincidence that two weeks ago you felt better and now you don't. Sometimes non RX remedies work out as well or better, without the side effects.

I know about stressors though, my aunt died last week. I was stressing out about whether to fly up there or not. The flight was $850 just for me. I spoke to my mom and found out it was a very private service and not worth it for me to fly. It was a good decision because on the day I was supposed to travel, almost 600 flights were cancelled at PHL. That, on top of the whole retreat fiasco has probably messed with my nerves, so it's no wonder I'm having sleep issues. Stress usually has a delayed reaction with me.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
I am actually sleeping waaayyy too much....may be just to get a break from all of this stress....
Hi trudging, I was thinking about you and wondering how everything is going? Any long walks on the beach planned for today?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Not today...dealing with lawyers, documentation and lots of money ...
Old 01-29-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

As Warren Zevon once wrote:

Send lawyers, guns, and money
The sh!t has hit the fan
Old 01-29-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

I really hope not, Bill
Old 01-29-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Sorry, just my usual dry sense of humor. I'm sure everything will work itself out. I was very happy to see 2013 go as it was a pretty stressful year on a number of accounts. I'm learning how to deal with stress differently now and some days are better than others. Not drinking sure helps keep the boat from rocking so much though.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Congrats on four months, Double D!

And, to all of us who are dealing with various stressors: find a teddy bear (or an equivalent stuffed animal) and hug it! We may feel silly for just long enough to feel less stressed. Better than booze!

Now, where'd I hide Binky??????

Fishy
Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishoutawatta View Post
Congrats on four months, Double D!

And, to all of us who are dealing with various stressors: find a teddy bear (or an equivalent stuffed animal) and hug it! We may feel silly for just long enough to feel less stressed. Better than booze!

Now, where'd I hide Binky??????

Fishy
I have two little lap dogs to keep me company and less stresses (most of the time).

DD, sorry I missed that in your post, congrats on 4 months. No turning back now.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Congrats, DD!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry for your loss Bilr.

Congrats on 4 months DD

D
Old 01-29-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Gosh, Bill....so caught up in my own sh** that I missed the post about your aunt....so sorry for you...glad you are staying so strong in your sobriety...Spent ALL day AGAIN trying to justify amounts "they" say are due....sooooooooo burned.....