Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 8

Old 01-24-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Trudging - Happy (belated) Birthday!!

No offense to the lovely guys on here, but sometimes men suck! I hope you had a delightful, sober birthday. ((hugs))
Old 01-24-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just checking in with the "class". My sobriety date is October 8th. Going to try to follow this thread again, although I am WAY out of touch!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
JL ... I'm so happy for you! You are making positive changes in your life ... dumped the job that didn't fit and are exploring AA. It seemed like you were not in a good, sustainable place with that old job. So great to see you headed in a positive direction.

SM ... Yes, the stories of relapse after long periods of sobriety are alarming. I don't browse the other forums much, but do so from time to time to keep me on the right track. I still think about alcohol particularly when I get stressed and desire an escape, but I am so very thankful for being sober. I try to remind myself everyday of how good I have it and how I don't have to worry about fitting in drinking with the "rest" of life.

The Super Bowl is on the horizon and we will be hosting a party. We have done so in the past as we rotate with a handful of our couples. I have decided to go against my instincts as a good host and will be asking guests to bring their own beer. The guests have a wide range of tastes anyways (some only drink a certain brand), so I could never please everyone if I tried. I don't want to buy the stuff and I don't want to deal with the leftovers.

October 23 was Day 1, so today is my 3 month anniversary. In some ways it's gone fast ... in other ways it seems like it's been longer than 3 months. Looking forward to celebrating 4 months with all of you!
Happy 3 months, WhoDey!! Good to see you around again!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
Hi everyone, just checking in with the "class". My sobriety date is October 8th. Going to try to follow this thread again, although I am WAY out of touch!
Welcome, Pamel! Glad to have you. What's your story?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

I will propose the QOTD -

What do you want to be different one year from today?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
Glad to see you again. I've read a post or two of yours so I a somewhat familiar with your situation. How is everything going with that?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cynderino View Post
I will propose the QOTD -

What do you want to be different one year from today?
Well for one I would like to be working in my field, Finance. I could probably be working now but cannot drive 1.5 hours each way to Broward County due to my wife's schedule and family obligations. The job market in my field here in Miami, to put it bluntly, sucks. They are looking for native speaking Spanish people and for those that are a little younger than me.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, Trudging!!! Whenever I get really upset with my husband, I focus on the things that I love about him which far outweigh the bad. I think the spontaneous, thoughtful gifts like the chip that he carved for you are the best gifts of all. Not that you don't deserve a fabulous birthday, and not that your husband didn't pull a big ol booger, just saying overall, from what you say about him and your relationship, you have a good thing going . . . . Don't let hurt feelings ruin your wonderful day! You are great!!

Cynderino, you have so much good advice lately and going through a divorce to boot!! I am impressed and thankful.

Hello to all my other Octoberloves!! Sorry I have been MIA. No worries. Still sober, four months on Wednesday. However, massively stressed. This house hunting thing is just bringing on the post traumatic stress for me in bad ways. I really hope we can just rent this house for another year. I like it, but I am not sure that I like it enough to buy it (needs a fair amount of work) and I am not finding anything else that jazzes me. Plus, I just want to feel settled, being relatively new to my sobriety, having a son leaving for college in the fall. However, our landlord has pulled the proverbial "sh8t or get off the pot" stance with us as she just wants to be rid of it as she moved over an hour away. I have to admit a glass of wine has entered my mind more than once but not enough to get me close to the edge.

A year from today, I would like to be excited about house hunting and have several wonderful options to choose from! Just not ready for it now . . . .
Old 01-24-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Thanks, DD! It has forced me to take a look at myself and figure out what I really want. That is a hard thing to do! What if I choose wrong! LOL
Old 01-24-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

DD, We have two rental properties up north so it is impossible to manage from 1,000 miles away. We pay a realtor to manage the properties and it takes a lot of headaches away. We rented a condo in downtown miami when we first moved here, which was furnished. The landlord was very anal about the place and even had an itemized list down to the last knife and fork. I think he did this because we were the first family to rent it long term (6 months to a year) and he had some weekly partyers renting before. It was stressful because we had the two dogs with us.

Looking for your home can be stressful but try and make it fun. It is not fun when you keep looking at houses that you don't like. We had no luck with our realtor and ended up buying this place after we went to an open house. Nice places go quick down here and there were 11 previous bids on this house. It's a buyers market most places but in Miami it is a sellers market.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Actually...turned into a nice day so far.....we went down and lounged on the beach, read, went in the water, etc. While there, hubby went down and arranged for a gal to come to the house in about an hour. Home, showered relaxed and waiting....then hubby is going to a favorite little Italian restaurant for dinner to take out (since I don't like to have a massage and then have to get up, dressed and go somewhere), and we are then going to kick back and watch a movie (one I downloaded that is an academy award nominee)...perfect. Thanks, DD for reminding me of the chip....I actually thought about it today as well. Glad to have you back, Pamel! Let's see...different...one year from today....clean daughter, no financial BS with taxes, more motivation to exercise
Old 01-24-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  
JL2013

Happy Birthday Trudging !
A year from now I'd like to be looking at a home equity loan with a LOT of payoff damage done to it ! Just got a new login for a work schedule at my "new- old" job, I haven't been able to it any time into. The way it reads, I could work a lot of the time, (daylight hrs waHOOO). How long that'll pan out I don't know, but I'm taking advantage of of. Trying hard to get my sleep schedule changed. That's a real "in your face", lesson about one day at a time. It ain't gonna change until it changes. Hope it's soon. Y'all are strong ppl ! I'd not do well, house hunting, or dealing with tax difficulties. Hope things smooth out some for y'all.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Pamel

D
Old 01-24-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Question out of left field: did any of you experience withdrawals from time-to-time during your drinking days? Things like insomnia, shakes, irregular heart beat or blood pressure, anxiety, confusion, sweats, chills, etc? Just curious to find out how common or uncommon these symptoms have been amongst our group.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  
Administrator

While I was drinking - all those things - I was drinking so much and so constantly I was withdrawing sometimes while drinking.

D
Old 01-24-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

That's a bit of a relief, I guess. I have felt all of those things - even last week when I came off the binge. I'm a bit paranoid as to what kind of permanent damage this abuse may have caused over the years and whether I should go and get a physical just in case, especially with my running and all. I think I'd better get checked out, just to put my mind at ease. Never do I want to feel that way again.

To the rest of the Tobers, may my follies be an inspiration to you all and remind you how great sobriety is!
Old 01-24-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

hmmmm can't say that I have experienced those since October....thank goodness! Hang in there!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll always recommend a physical SM - what can it hurt?

chances are there's nothing wrong that abstinence won't fix, but if there is a problem it's better to know now than later.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Happy birthday (weekend) trudging!!

One year from today: feel (more) comfortable in my own skin.

I'm getting closer Tobers. I can't tell you how liberating Tuesday's post was for me. Thank you.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
Question out of left field: did any of you experience withdrawals from time-to-time during your drinking days? Things like insomnia, shakes, irregular heart beat or blood pressure, anxiety, confusion, sweats, chills, etc? Just curious to find out how common or uncommon these symptoms have been amongst our group.
Yes to insomnia. Shakes (minor) towards end. A bit of arrhythmia especially when wasn't in shape (I.e., not running), no BP issues, anxiety - check!, no confusion, no sweats, no chills.

Hang in there bud. We got you.