Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 8

Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
Gosh, Bill....so caught up in my own sh** that I missed the post about your aunt....so sorry for you...glad you are staying so strong in your sobriety...Spent ALL day AGAIN trying to justify amounts "they" say are due....sooooooooo burned.....
Maybe I missed it but have you hired a lawyer? I know that they charge a lot so maybe it isn't worth it.

Thanks for the kind words from both you and Dee. She was 85 and pretty much gave up with cancer. It was actually a blessing because she didn't really suffer much.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Yes, Bilr, I am sorry that I didn't offer my condolences. I was very close to my aunts and uncles growing up. It is hard to lose someone who has been a part of your growing up. I am sorry for your loss.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
Maybe I missed it but have you hired a lawyer? I know that they charge a lot so maybe it isn't worth it. Thanks for the kind words from both you and Dee. She was 85 and pretty much gave up with cancer. It was actually a blessing because she didn't really suffer much.
Hi Bilr, sorry to hear about your Aunt. Sounds like it was her time. Glad to hear you have maintained your commitments to sobriety without any hesitation during these ups and downs.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Yes Bil, condolences...

...and, in memory, how about a QOTD?

Favorite Aunt or Uncle? why?

Mine: Uncle Bill. Owned a Toy store!!! On weekends would come to our house with van full of latest. We'd go to Flea Market in next town and hawk all weekend (ages 6 -11 for me!). My pay: a toy and some grand memories!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Just hired a lawyer yesterday, actually. We shall see if it is worth it today. The statute of limitations may have run out for them to pursue us PERSONALLY.....YAY! Hubby's company was incorporated, and I really did not get involved in his business (although I KNOW BETTER)....so, my biggest fear was that the gov't could pursue us (including me) personally. Being in a community property state (California, especially) the state is entitled to pursue 100% of community property. I have been in knots, literally. We should know more today. Have let life itself go "into a hand basket" so to speak, for the last week or so. Gotta get back to something that resembles "normal". Gonna do yoga this morning. Then to town to renew driver's licenses. THAT should be an experience! Although my mom had 6 sisters, I only knew one aunt since she was the only one who moved to CA. from Boston. Actually lived with her for a while when we were taken away from my mom (neglect)....so, I guess she would be my favorite if I had to pick one. I did hate drinking powdered milk that she gave us though! Ahhh....some memories are better forgotten. Sorry to be so negative, just feeling quite overwhelmed these days. There is GOOD news, though! The Provost has agreed to meet with me when we are in CA in March! Now, if we can just figure out what is going on with this hearing, I can confirm a date! All the best to you, Tobers!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Trudging, I hate that you are going through all of this right now, but I admire how well you are handling it and that you are staying sober through the whole process. My prayers for peace are with you.

My favorite aunt was my Dad's sister. She stayed single for the longest time and she spoiled my sister and I to death! (my other cousins were in England) She drove a convertible, was glamorous and beautiful with her designer clothes and fancy job. She always took us to sophisticated venues and restaurants. She took me to my first concert. (Olivia Newton John's Physical) I feel bad because my parents were always fighting with that side of the family, so for long stretches of time we didn't have much contact with her. She never had children of her own, so to this day, she sends really wonderful gifts to my kids. (Rayban sunglasses, etc.) She introduced me to "cool."
Old 01-30-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

I never really gave it much thought on who was my favorite aunt/uncle. To be fair my Dad and his siblings have not spoken to each other much over the years. I'm sure they are fine people but I don't know them that well. On my Moms side that would be difficult. I can't really say that I've had a close relationship with any of them. I pretty much only saw them once or twice a year once I was around a teenager. My one grandfather died in 1942 and the other one about 6 weeks before I was born. I think these events changed the dynamics of the siblings a lot.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Howdy 'Tobers. Sorry for being out of touch, but I've been engulfed by a work retreat which, thankfully, will be ending today.

I've got this day counter app on my phone that I used to check every day early on in sobriety, but only occassionally now. Fortunately, I did check it today. 100. 100 days. I'm pround of that ... but I couldn't have done it without the support and examples set by all of you here. We're teammates!

QOTD: Uncle Don who lived in Oklahoma. When we'd go visit my grandparents and other relatives, Uncle Don would take me bass fishing on the local farm ponds. I also have great memories of once going quail hunting with him one Thanksgiving morning. Sadly, he passed away at a relatively young age from a heart attack. His example goes to show the positive impact we can have on youth ... even if the interactions are brief. He was always genuinely happy to spend time with me. That meant a lot.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  
JL2013

Bilr- condolences for your loss. Busy with work. Thankful it's in the daytime !
Old 01-30-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Just got back from the DMV. My daughter passed the test and got her drivers license today.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Bilr, congratulations proud papa!! You will feel nervous for about 2 weeks and breathe easier when you hear the garage door, after that, you will be loving life!! Having another driver in the family has been a Godsend for me. Of course, I do have four kids.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Bilr, congratulations proud papa!! You will feel nervous for about 2 weeks and breathe easier when you hear the garage door, after that, you will be loving life!! Having another driver in the family has been a Godsend for me. Of course, I do have four kids.
Yes, no more fighting Miami traffic and picking them up after practice at school. I really didn't mind but now I can actually cook dinner and not make everything in a crockpot! My son is 9 months away from this. Then it will be fighting for the car.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

YAY for you, on 100 days Whodey! And...congrats, Bill on your daughter! We just renewed our driver's licenses today which is a feat in and of itself in Costa Rica! Step 1=doctor for their "stamp of approval" (no vision test BTW...they just ask if you wear glasses. Step 2 = go to the bank to pay $10.00 each....Step 3 = make copies of residency card and old license (front and back). Step 4=take copies, originals, receipt from bank and number doc scribbled on a slip of paper to what they call the DMV here. Step 5=show everything to the guard at the gate so he will let you in to see the JEFE...Step 6=JEFE makes more copies, inscribes something in a BIG book, you sign all the copies and the book. Step 7 =go into another room where another person types all kinds of stuff in the computer, show him the residency card, he takes photo and VOILA! He hands you your license....good for 6 years....
Old 01-30-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

WhoDey, go back and re-read some of your posts from 2010, you have come a long way.

Trudging, makes sense, jefe is boss in Spanish.

JL, how is the depression you were fighting last week?
Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Driver1 View Post
"I have decided to become more selfish in my sobriety".

Here, Here brother!

My train has already left the station.

And I couldn't feel better for it.

I've got plenty of nice and thoughtful to go around. For the time being, re-set button is reserved for me and what makes me feel better.
Good for you!!
I found real rewards for myself, versus a reward of alcohol, had real staying power! i saved so much money not drinking that i rewarded myself each month for the first six months or more!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Yes, Bill...that is a word that I am very familiar with...lol....
Old 01-30-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  
JL2013

Bilr -
Depression gone. Replaced by pure exhaustion from working long hrs while getting my life back together, in the daylight.
Very kind of you to ask.
Thank you
Old 01-31-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Man, time flies....

WhoDey, way to go!; 100 days is a big deal. And welcome back. I missed ya.

Today marks the close of my fourth month. Pretty cool.

Double, we both had a toe in September so, technically, tomorrow we will have had sobriety across 6 calendar months (voila, data geek legitmately turns 4 months in to 6 months with the stroke of a keyboard!). Be careful what you read peoples!!!

jl, glad to hear the depression has lifted. My guess is that you've had a very interesting first week on the job (right outide Atlanta area, correct?)

trudging, hope you are trudging and things on all fronts come to a favorable resolution soon. Kudos to you for hittin the yoga at the height of this mess. I admire you (not sure I would create the band-width for that amidst the mayhem? who knows though, I'm feeling different these days).

Little and Cyn, miss you both. Hope you are well and staying warm.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:36 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Stumbled across this a few days ago. Seemed like a nice QOTD.

If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?

Tobers, have a lovely Friday.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Driver1 View Post
Stumbled across this a few days ago. Seemed like a nice QOTD. If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be? Tobers, have a lovely Friday.
Everything in moderation!