View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  
DoubleDragons

Originally Posted by Driver1 View Post
It's probably a little but of both Dolly. You acknowledge in your post a few days ago that you have a natural tendency to anxiety. AND you are also dealing with some stressful situations right now (e.g., house hunting, impending changes in family dynamics with your first headed to college - maybe??).

My take (from data geek side of me), you probably fall in the upper portion of normal part of bell curve in terms of innate proclivity for anxiety. Under everyday circumstances, this "style" is business as usual with no tension for you (if your like me, your natural anxiety may even serve you well under these everyday conditions; facilitates effective planning and execution).

But then add in some (legit) stressors and a tipping point is reached.

From an overthinker, I'd love to give the following advice (and live it): Don't overthink it. Not worth the energy. Just recognize where your at and have confidence in your ability to work through the stressors and get back to your copacetic state.

How do I attempt to do that? I know I'm repeating but maybe its worth it: I typically try to work one thing associated with the task that gets me the most bang for energy buck spent (it's reinforcing so then I'm energized for the next step).

Sorry if this is too simplistic or if I'm stating the obvious. Hope it helps DD. Hang in there...you know you are going to get through this...you ALWAYS do.
Driver, you hit the nail on the head with this! Thank you so much!! You are right that for the most part my nervous energy allows me to accomplish a lot of tasks in a small amount of time, but when I hit overload, I just feel a mess.
I am wanting to stay med free if I can. I just prefer it that way.

Sober Marathon, you ring true with the exercise advice, as well. I haven't gone to yoga for about 1.5 weeks because my yoga buddy (my husband) has been sick and my son actually got a job at our yoga place as a front desk person (I found him the job and he loves it. He's using it as an excuse to grow a goatee LOL). He was in training for the most part so I didn't want to embarrass him or make him more nervous by hanging around there.

About two weeks ago I was in the best "place" I had been in a long time, mentally and physically. Sobriety was really feeling like a forever, no brainer kind of a thing, but then all of this stress hit. (On top of it all, my employer's brother has been told he has about two weeks to live, so my poor, dear employer/friend has really leaned on me, too, which I am happy to be there for her, but I have found it heart breaking and stressful, too.) Anyway, the lesson I have learned is that I can never take my sobriety for granted and like SM, I have to learn that I am going to have to put " me first " at times, if I want my life to go in the direction that I want it to go in.