Notices

Class Of September 2012 Part 9

Old 12-28-2012, 01:57 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Morning all. SBTS, sending my love to you and your family, sorry for your loss. X
Old 12-28-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Good Morning all,

LH- Thanks for that reminder, "one day at a time"...my urge to drink lasted 3 days,
X-mas eve, x-mas day, and the day after, thankfully I did not succumb.

At times, the thought of never drinking again overwhelms me, too. But then I remind myself that I no longer find the "merriment" in drinking I once did. The "fun"of a drunken stupor is forever gone. Only misery, shame, anxiety, and guilt would follow. Another thought to Ponder is, "this too shall pass!"

It's amazing the affects alcoholism has on our brain. So true the words, "Alcohol is cunning, powerful, and baffling.

Shake it out- don't beat yourself up for craving or having the urge to drink, instead do as your name implies and shake it out and don't forget to praise yourself for resisting. These urges are going to come and go, because it's a part of this disease we all suffer from. BTW, 90 days! Woo Hoo!:day6

Hope-I like what you said to Jaz you are right on when it comes to learnig from our slips.

Jaz- glad to see your back!

SBTS-Thinking of you!

Hey Jimuk! Good to see you too!

Time flies when you're typing...wish I had more of it.

Love to you all!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SunnyFlower View Post
Good Morning all,

LH- Thanks for that reminder, "one day at a time"...my urge to drink lasted 3 days,
X-mas eve, x-mas day, and the day after, thankfully I did not succumb.

At times, the thought of never drinking again overwhelms me, too. But then I remind myself that I no longer find the "merriment" in drinking I once did. The "fun"of a drunken stupor is forever gone. Only misery, shame, anxiety, and guilt would follow. Another thought to Ponder is, "this too shall pass!"

It's amazing the affects alcoholism has on our brain. So true the words, "Alcohol is cunning, powerful, and baffling.

Shake it out- don't beat yourself up for craving or having the urge to drink, instead do as your name implies and shake it out and don't forget to praise yourself for resisting. These urges are going to come and go, because it's a part of this disease we all suffer from. BTW, 90 days! Woo Hoo!:day6

Hope-I like what you said to Jaz you are right on when it comes to learnig from our slips.

Jaz- glad to see your back!

SBTS-Thinking of you!

Hey Jimuk! Good to see you too!

Time flies when you're typing...wish I had more of it.

Love to you all!
Excellent post sunnyflower, especially the part, "At times, the thought of never drinking again overwhelms me, too. But then I remind myself that I no longer find the "merriment" in drinking I once did".

I think If I look back on my own experiences of my addiction I seem to remember the good times, the parties, the splendid nights out, the sparkling wit and repartee and of my being a generous and good humoured gentleman.

Can anyone remember the Simpsons episode where Homer thinks back on a party at his house the night before?
He sees himself as the perfect host, being very eloquent, charming and curteous.

The real story was very much the opposite.

I see myself in that episode, that was my life.

I am now sitting in the house on a friday night, watching the TV, taking my wee dog out for the toilet, just about a typical night for me.
The only difference being that a typical Friday (before the 2nd of September), would have seen me sitting here drinking until I passed out.
The only drink I have had tonight is tea.

Thanks to you all I no longer want to have an alcoholic drink at all and I certainly don't miss the imaginary me when I was drunk.

Good luck to you all, lets hope we can all stay sober one day at a time.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

My condolences too SBTS.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:51 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear about your loss SBTS.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Good Morning my Friends!!

Time is my enemy right now. My work is crazy, comes in waves. Sometimes I have all the time in the world to catch up on everything, times like now I don't have a spare minute. My deadline is the 7th, and I'm waaayyy behind. After having to postpone Christmas dinner with the family because of the snowstorm, I'm also having to squeeze that in next weekend too. Not that big of a deal, I know, just a case of 'when it rains, it pours'.

Wanted to make sure to check in though. Still have several posts to catch up on, but what I've been able to read so far has been soooo helpful! So many of you have touched on the idea of never being able to drink again, shared your thoughts, experiences & wisdom, and once again opening my eyes. I have to focus on the fact that alcohol is not the friend I always thought it to be, actually quite the opposite, it's done nothing but hurt me. My 40th birthday is fast approaching...and spending my 40s sober is one of the biggest goals I've ever had!!

Have a wonderful, safe & sober day!
Love to my September family!
Jaz
Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

My seasonal job ended, so it's time I go back to applying for jobs again. Not only do I need the money, but I just need to keep busy. Sitting around doing nothing all day leads to way too much thinking, for me. Sometimes it's harmless, but other times the thoughts aren't good ones so I've got to find something before I go back to school at the end of January.

I did, however, have a nice conversation with my boss. He told me how I was a good worker and that if something opens up he will call me and some other seasonals that did well. So it's comforting to know that it wasn't because I did a bad job or anything and it simply because they can't keep everyone.

On another note, I'm excited for the new year and looking forward to spending 2013 in recovery. For the four years I was addicted, I never wanted anything to do with getting help or getting better because I was so blind, I thought I was living the life. But I was so wrong. Here's to positive changes, awakenings and a brighter 2013!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Well I am back to square one. I need to do some serious soul searching. Why do I make it through the seemingly impossible days and then cave on a random quiet evening… Anyway, today is a new day one. And I have a headache. I will remain sober throughout New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. Not sure where I will be posting, because I certainly can not claim September. Looks like I am throwing my own little pity party…sorry. Off to church. That will help.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

SunnyFlower I couldn’t agree more. I have to remind myself of the aftermath of drinking at all. It’s the aftermath of drinking one night that has been keeping me from drinking again. It takes me days to recover psychologically. I can’t handle the days of anxiety and depression that follow just one night of drinking!
Originally Posted by SunnyFlower View Post
Well91 – I’ll have to get ahold of that episode of the Simpsons. I agree I think we glamorize our past drinking, like it was so much fun, and then forget about the misery it actually brings. I laugh at the Homer Simpson quote “to alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems” I need to remind myself to get rid of the “cause” of my problems – Alcohol lol.

Jimuk – glad to hear from you, keep posting  I hope you are doing well!

Jaz – Please try not to get stressed out with work. For me that used to be a huge trigger. When is your birthday? Hang in there!

ShakeitOut – Sorry to hear that your job has ended, but I like your positive attitude about the situation, that can be tough!

Benice – Sorry to hear your back to day one! I wish I had a magic answer for you why we cave at unexpected times. Heck I wish I had a magic wand so none of us would have to go through this, lol. It, quite frankly, stinks at times. But I hope your feeling better, and stick with it you can do it 

Ozark – how are you? Miss your daily posts!

So I’m on day 42 today. I made it through Christmas without drinking now on to New Years. I’ve turned down seeing my friends. I don’t think I’m strong enough to do a new years party. So I’m going out to dinner with my aunt and uncle. Then either a movie or cards. I wish I was at a point where I can do things without having to worrie about staying away from alcohol.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Hope, great post! Thank you! Work is a trigger for me as well. One reason (or excuse) that I've slipped lately. But I'm definitely aware of the fact that when I do drink, I'm half as productive as I am when I'm sober. Just ANOTHER example why drinking is not my friend. My birthday is the 14th of January. The BIG 4-0!! I'm certainly not scared of my 40s, actually looking forward to them. Hoping to enjoy them far more than I did my 30s.

Benice, I'm sorry for your slip. I certainly understand how you're feeling. I wish I had an answer as to why we can make it thru some rough times & give in on a quiet night. Still trying to figure that one out. Although there are many places you can post on here for additional support, please also stay with our September family. I haven't been able to claim September as my sobriety date for a long time, but nobody here ever turned me away, always welcomed me with 'open arms'. You being one of them. I personally do NOT want to see you leave us. You have been such a great source of strength & support for me. You have always been an inspiration, and you still are! You slipped, you're human, and you're back here with us. Hang in there my friend! I have faith in you!! (((HUGS))) Thank you for all you've done for me!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone for all your condolences. It means a lot. Back home on Long Island now after saying goodbye to my grandpa over the weekend in Ohio. He will be missed.

Benice I am sorry to hear of your slip. I agree with Jaz that you should stay with us in addition to posting in other threads. Many here have had a drink after September, you certainly aren't the only one.

Jaz it is great to see you posting again
Old 12-30-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Ok...Wifi posted this in the November group. Really hit home for me. Thought I'd share.

"I too was someone that could "control" my drinking most of the time, however when I was controlling it I wasn't enjoying it and when I enjoyed it I was totally out of control. So is that really control??? I think not..."
Old 12-30-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone has a good, sober, New Years

D
Old 12-30-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Hope, Jaz, SBTS, thank you very much! This place is great! I spent much time today reading on many different threads. Amazing people with amazing stories. And Dee is everywhere with perfect words of wisdom. I am grateful for each of you and for SR.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

So I have not posted the couple mornings due to a family reunion I attended after working Christmas eve and day. Nice time but was nervous a lot.Returned to work two 12 hr shifts this weekend with today being my last at the job I've had for 18yrs.Won't be missing the job at all really, but was tough to say good-bye to many good friends/co-workers.
Start the new job in the morning due to a scheduling mix-up.A lot of apprehension felt starting the new position.We will see how it goes.

benice,you will always be part of the Sept, group and as sorry as I am you caved ,we all will benefit from your "lesson".I know the last time I started to drink I too was at a "random" point and will never really know why I chose to resume my destructive pattern.I know I can never let my gaurd down lest it occurs again.Your post keeps that thought fresh in my mind.Such a cunning,baffling and ruthless opponent we will face the remainder of our lives.

Get knocked down? Pick yourself up and fight back! Get bucked-off? Grab those reins and jump back on and show-um who's boss! We can and will do this regardless of how rough a ride it will be.And it will be a rough ride,just keep up the fight!!!

Best wishes to all,and lets make this a truly Happy New Year!

Ozark
Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks benice - it's great to have you back

D
Old 12-31-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Good morning all,
Lets make it a good day.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Good Morning All!

Wow it's hard to believe that today is the last day of the year, 2012!

"Out with the Old and in with the New"

It'll be the first time in years that I won't be partying in the New Year! (At least not with booze.)

I made plans with My 2 Granddaughters (10 & 7) to bring in the New Year together with a sleep over. I wonder who will fall asleep first?

I will be so glad when all of the FESTIVIES are over! Between battling with my "twisted alcoholic thinking" and all the advertisements we are surrounded by...it has been difficult to resist refraining from...not impossible, just difficult.

Benice-Don't leave us! For some, it takes many attempts to finally reach sobriety. For those of us who have achieved it these past 4 months...We are not out of the woods by no means. We have been gathering the necessary "tools" needed and used them to maintain sobriety. Those "tools" are found in many forms. One the most reliable tools I have (Hope mentioned it too) is: "Reminding myself of the aftermath of drinking. (TY, Hope!)

Another BIG TO DO for me is AA Meetings: I've been going to A lot more during this Holiday season just for the Reinforcement. Finding a Program that works for you and working it, is (in my opinion) of utmost importance.

To you and ALL who are having trouble with relapsing...all I want to say is NEVER GIVE UP! Stay with us and keep trying! Believe me when I say this, we need you as much as you need us!

Jaz- I loved that quote! I have to copy it!!

Cowboy-Wow! your new job begins as the New Year begins! Good Luck!

Being that tonight is New Years Eve, I'm wishing you all a good one! I am so ready to get back to a normal daily routine of life! (So what's normal?)

I'll be seeing you all next year!!!

"2013" Here we Come!!

Love, hugs and kisses
Old 12-31-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Hi all

Wow , lots of posts since I was on last. Day 118 and I have a simple and safe plan for tonight New Years eve in my current time zone.

Sorry to hear of your loss SBTS. Never is a good time for losing family.

I look at 2013 as a year for healing done one day at time. Staying in the present and seeing acceptance as the default position to my problems and allow me time to consider what next has helped get along the last while.

I have not really struggled too much through the holidays in terms of either craving or nearing a drink even with opportunity to do so. My surrender seems to be holding each day as I know I am totally powerless and that first drink is the absolute blind spot I need help with. For those struggling , don't give up. I sure had to dance with the devil for over 30 years to even get to this point....and I am just grateful for today where I have no need , desire or anything for a drink. I see what life became and what life can be without it so I trudge the road of happy destiny one step and one day at a time.

A Happy New Year everyone and really wishing everyone a safe and sober 24. Also friends do not let friends drink and drive. Make sure any friends who are celebrating tonight get home or stay safe.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF MY DEAR FRIENDS!!! :ghug3

Been keeping myself busy with work today, but going to call it quits pretty soon. Heading to my sister-in-laws to ring in the new year. We are actually thinking about going sledding this evening! Trust me, we have some wicked hills in this area. Lord help me...hopefully this old body will stay in one piece. Bringing along non-alcoholic beverages and LOTS of food. Plan on letting myself eat whatever the hell I want tonight...I can start counting calories again tomorrow.

Whatever your plans may be, please stay safe and have a wonderful New Year!
Hugs to all!
Jaz