Notices

Class Of September 2012 Part 9

Old 02-16-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

So sorry you slipped up Jim.

At least you know it and you are still posting on here.

I have been struggling lately but have stuck with it and am now just 14 days away from being 6 months sober.

I tried to stop for years without success. I think it just happens when it happens.

I made a decision to have my last drink at a pals wedding, it turned out a really good night where I didn't black out or make a fool of my self but that wasn't a typical night.
The next day I stopped.

I read a brilliant book about quitting the drink and stuck with the philosophy.

Think of the bad things that have happened to you due to drink.

Then think of what actual good alcohol does for you, if you think about it, absolutely nothing.

Your animalistic part of your brain (the mid brain), thinks that any good times you had was because of the alcohol so you will naturally want to drink to recapture they feelings.

The other part of your brain, the intelligent part, knows fine well everything bad that happens to you when you drink but we allow the mid brain to win every time.

You need to talk to your mid brain every time that you crave a drink.
Just take 5 minutes, write down what the drink has done to you and stop.

Alcohol CANNOT come into your house, open itself up and pour itself down your throat.

Take control mate, I know it is difficult, but you sound as if you want to stop.

I know you can do it, I did it and I thought I was very weak.

Now I am strong. Yo are strong too, you can do it.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Administrator

all good here Jim

D
Old 02-16-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

That is really tough Eli, don't worry yourself over others perceptions of you trying to do something about your drinking. I know that I do not like to let others know about my Alcoholism unless it is on my terms. However, I am sure it is better for them to find out I'm trying not to drink - even if that shows self weakness or something bad in my character - than for them to see me whilst drunk ( I'd show them bad character traits for sure then ). Be strong and be proud of yourself for what you are doing in your life.

Alzheimers is a hideous disease, watched it take my favorite uncles life from him and his family. Slowly at first then accelerates towards the end. Very sad.

Jimuk, do the AA thing for both you and your family. You have made great strides in confronting your challanges since September. You too should be strong and also be proud of yourself for what you are doing in your life.

benice I hope you had a great time at the bridal shower today.

Best to all...
Old 02-16-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Eli, when my kids were little, I read somewhere to leave your vacuum cleaner by the door...so when people come in and it is disastrous you say, “It's cleaning day and I was just about to take care of that!” Really, try to let go of what they might be thinking. Most likely they were moved by the lady's plight and didn't even notice. Sorry you had such a fright!

Jim, glad you are still on this journey...it has its ups and downs for sure! My heart aches for you with your crying child. But you can use that memory to help you when your AV gets loud and taunting. I hope you like your AA meeting and I hope you find the strength you are looking for.

Well, that was a really thoughtful post. 6 months in 2 weeks is incredible! Yippee!!

Ozark...THANKS...I just got back from the shower and it was great! I do love marrying into a huge family…I don’t remember if I told you all, but my hubby is one of 10 kids, and we have loads of nieces, nephews, in-laws, etc. Yep, it was fun.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Eli yikes...I was cringing as I read your story, I totally get it. I am a very private person too and NO one knows about my drinking problem except close family. But I think the others are right, most likely no one in your house was focusing on that, probably they were more focused on the poor woman. What a shame she and you all had to go through that.

I've been struggling a bit the past few days and am not sure why, twice I've had powerful cravings hit me out of the blue. I haven't experienced those in a long time and can't think of a reason why it should be this week. School and work stress has finally been winding down to a more manageable level, so it doesn't seem like it should be that. Maybe it's just the old AV having one last gasp. Whatever it is, I have no intention of giving in to it, I have 20 days til i reach six months and I am not blowing it now.

See you all on the podium Monday
Old 02-17-2013, 01:00 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Morning all, thank you for your support. My GF is working tonight so I'm hoping to find an earlier meeting. If not there is a local one tomorrow. Today is day 2 and hopefully a new start over in my life, I need to find some direction and focus.

Have a great Sunday.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

SBTS, I found that my AV got loudest on the "wind down". It didn't make sense to me either but now that I recognize it I have been able to beat it a few times. Hang in there. You are an inspiration!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Hi All, Happy Sunday. Nothing really new here, volunteered all day yesterday. Trying to keep myself as busy as I can. Its crazy, I worked with someone yesterday that got a DUI for sleeping in their car because they did not want to drive. The laws are just so different from when I grew up, its mind boggling to me. (venting)

(((Jim))) sorry to hear about your slip. Hang in there you can do this!! We are all here for you. Let us know how your meeting goes.

Eli I completely understand how you feel. Its hard enough dealing with coming to terms with not wanting to drink and doing something about it. But try not to worrie about what other people think, easy to say hard to do I'm sure as others have said, the people in your house didn't notice, and were probably more focused on the women with alzheimers. My uncle is starting to show early signs of that disease. Its scary and heartbreaking.

SBTS and Well, your almost at 6 months, I'm so proud of you. Thank you for sharing about your struggle and your “tips” for dealing with urges, it really helps. Its a reminder that I'm not the only one that has an AV that likes to have "tantrums". For some reason I keep thinking that after a couple of months of sobriety the urge to drink will just go away. But I’m starting to realize its not that simple and its normal to have the urge but how we deal with the urge makes a huge difference.

Benice, Ozark you guys rock thank you for your daily posts!! Have a great Sunday everyone, see you at the podium tomorrow!
Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

(((Jim))) hope you made it to a meeting or will soon. How are you doing?

Benice, thanks for that thought. I hadn't thought about it that way but you are totally right, a lot of times cravings do happen on the "wind down." That may have something to do with it.

Hope... I think you are right as well, it is normal to have the urge even after a while sober. I did find that after a couple of months, not drinking began to feel normal to me, and I wasn't thinking about it constantly. But, still, every so often I guess we will all still probably get a flash of the old cravings no matter how long we are sober. Like you said, what matters is how we deal with those urges. I just think of it as kind of like the mental weather, i may feel i want a drink now, but if I wait a while, I will feel a different way.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Morning all, I'm feeling a bit better today. Thanks for your thoughts SBTS, I'm hoping to go to a meeting tonight. Hopefully it will help me focus more and achieve sobriety for good, I like meeting new people too. Have a great day all.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:20 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Good Podium Monday morning,

Lets make this a great week.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

I have a feeling that the podium is actually quite crowded today! Jim, it’s so good to see you here! Along with Ozark, Hope, SBTS, Eli and Well! I’m sure we have other Septemberites on the podium with us…

Jaz, did you get the job? How’s that Michigan weather treating you these days? And how’s your son doing?

YVR and Sobersunshine…how are you all doing? I am fairly certain that you both are on this podium since I know that you both made it to the 4 month mark!

Marissa, how’s your nanny? And you? I would bet that you are also with us since you hit that 4 month milestone too!

And to anyone I missed…jump online and tell us how you are doing!

Glad you’re better Dee! You should be proud of this podium…you helped to get us here!

Have a great day all…
Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Goodmorning All! Happy Podium Monday. Have a great day everyone!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Happy podium Monday everybody.

I have only 12 days to go to make it 6 months sober.

SBTS lets start the countdown.

Anyone else close to 6 months without the devil drink?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations everyone

D
Old 02-18-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

I'm drinking now, I think I have lost the will to live now, life is ****. I have no escape. I love you all but had enough now. Not going to do anything silly but I'm finding it hard to Barry on now x
Old 02-18-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Hey Jim, life is NOT ****. How can we help you to regain your will? You have made friends in this cyber world, and I know from your posts that you like being around people in the touch and feel real world...you have much to give and much to receive. Dang that AV that got to you again. Will you please put it away for now and pour yourself some coffee or water? Sending lots and lots of well wishes...
Old 02-18-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jim I tried for 15 years.
I never quite gave in, and eventually I found the courage to finally do what I needed to do.

Did you go to the meeting?

D

D
Old 02-18-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Jim, come on mate, you can do it.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hopefully Jim will post in the next part:

join us here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-10-a.html