Notices

Class Of September 2012 Part 9

Old 12-17-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Happy to be on the Podium today.

Love to see our September friends checking-in. Congrats LH and Drybuss! Thanks for writing.

Hope everyone else had a great weekend. Looking forward to your posts...
Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks guys/ladies.
Ozark what's new man? Are you still close behind me?

I feel like I missed out on a lot with everybody. I've just been so crazy busy but that's no excuse. Sobriety is priority #1 and SR is what helped get me where I'm at.
Yesterday was bitter sweet. It was 90 days sober but I had just an awful day. Between work and other things it was just a really bad day. But I got to thinking about it and I'm glad it turned out the way it did. It helps me remember that just because I've changed doesn't mean the world has. Just because I've gotten sober doesn't mean the world is gonna be all happy and sunshine. And i need to know that and remember it because if I start believing everything is perfect now, when things go wrong ill be crushed and my first instinct will be to grab a bottle. Why not right? So all in all it was a good day yesterday.
My wife is moving back in after Christmas. I'm excited about that. My babies will be walking within a few minths. My fight is gonna happen sometime in may or June and things are moving along nicely. I'm blessed for what I have in life. Truely. Have a good day everybody. Congrats to everybody on the podium and do NOT give up to those who slipped.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good morning all! 30 days tomorrow - yey. Sunnyflower good luck with the not smoking, its tough. That's on my list of things to do as well. I'm going to try after the holidays. Just don't fall asleep with the patch on, I did that a couple of times when I tried to quit before. I had the crazy vivid dreams!!!

LH I'm so glad things are working out with your wife. That's great news!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well done everyone on the podium today.

I have stayed sober even after my "Friday from hell", which, believe me, would have been a trigger for a weekend of carnage, I would have been blitzed, staggering about, slurring, annoying people and being a general pain in the a*se.

My god, I hated myself when I got like that.

I would also have used the fact that my football team won in Edinburgh as another excuse to get blltzed oot ma skull, (scottish slang).

That was then, this is now.........Another podium monday for me...106 days and counting. (My wife and I are speaking as well)

I can drink if I want to, I just don't want to.....Thanks to you all, the September club of SR.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS
Old 12-17-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations to all the champions...and to anyone who is back again today, still trying
Old 12-17-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Still here! Still sober! Woo hoo!!!!! Off to a 7:30 meeting that I enjoy. Still not on the AA bus completely but it is nice to hang with people who understand a few times a week.

I'm so proud of our class for keeping it moving and overcoming so much - slips and successes we are the champions!!!!!

I'm off beginning Friday for the holidays and plan to catch up here properly. I have so much gratitude to each of you and I know I would not be sober today without this forum!

Catch y'all soon!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Lefthook I'm doing well,2-3 days behind you I think. I don't really count days but have a calender that I'll put a check mark by the dates every few days. Like the new avatar,brings back memories.Glad you're doing well too and getting your family back.Been there done that.I would not wish that on my worst enemy. I was just telling my wife the other day that I'm not too sure I would have made it this far without her(pretty sure I would not have).

IWW great to hear from you also,keep up the good work and the words of encouragement.Eveyone here helps me daily,really enjoy hearing from all.

Well91,benice,hope and the rest of the CHAMPIONS,,,keep at it.

See you guys in the morning,

Ozark
Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yup still here and still sober at the end of day 105.

Saw a shrink today to fulfill an obligation to my insurance companies to confirm ya , depressed but I have been for a long time and shoveling alcohol down my throat probably the biggest counterproductive things I could do to get better......and wow , it won't get better over night and some of this won't get healed but will be accepted and less painful in time. Unlike last time through this merry go round and headed back to work too soon this time the doc will keep me out for a while as I have the coverage and chance of relapse apparently goes up when you go back to a job you really don't like for a company you no longer respect....but hey I will have a job at the end and for that I am grateful. Nobody said I was to love my job and who I did it for in life but employment isn't all of life like I have made it a times....

Anyway no pity party as this stuff is not happening to me but is happening for me ...for me to get to the work that has been needed for a long time. It would be my bruised ego saying its all happening to me and that the world was out to get me because my plans and decisions were obviously not at fault......lots of other delusional crap were I refused to see my part in things with any clarity and some stuff I had no chance of doing anything about... While my slate is not clean as I get along with the steps some garbage can be dealt with and some sanity begin to replace whatever my best thinking was for the last decade and longer... kind of amazed I made some good decisions inside all the chaos :-)

Wishing everyone a good 24
Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Soooo...I am not the only one who has mastered the "Art" of being counterproductive? I also have wondered about having depression but will never allow myself to be checked as I should just "shake it off","man-up","suck-it-up"or my favorite "they didn't even have depression when I was a kid and they all survived".I'm glad your seeking out any help you can get YVR,my prayers will go out for you.I'm changing jobs the 2nd of Jan. and it's not by my choosing.However it is a blessing in disguise, as I would be threatening to quit my cuurent one every three days or so at the end of a shift.I am also grateful that I have a job in these times.Be strong my friend.

Lets make it a great day today.

Ozark
Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Just wanted to pop in and say hello. Haven't had a chance to get on here all week so I'm behind on the thread. Want to try and get caught up at some point today.

I hope you are all doing well. I'm good here... 103 days, yeah. :-)

:ghug3:
Old 12-18-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi guys, quick check-in. Busy with work, and with holiday stuff when not working, but as always, I feel it is important not to fall out of touch.

I mentioned to a coworker today that I had quit drinking (although not the reasons why.) She asked if I had noticed any physical changes. I told her the main ones: no hangovers, better sleep and I crave sweets like crazy. I need to rein in the junk food, I haven't really gained weight, but I am afraid that I will. I made a brief attempt to curb it a couple weeks ago but then finals happened and it kind of went out the window. Need to get the discipline back for a healthy diet and running.

Goodnight all
Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Late good morning to all,guess who slept-in some.
I don't do that often. Hope ya'll make it a great day!!!
Ozark
Old 12-19-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone!

SBTS- I'm with you on the getting back to healthy living. I have gained weight and it's driving me nuts. Exercise and eating right is definitely a good habit I would like to regain. As I write I am baking cookies...dozen's of cookies. Not tempted to eat them YET. lol

Twestlie- Woo Hoo! 3 digit number! Congrats!

Cowboy and YVRguy- Depression sucks I have dealt with it most of my adult life...drinking definitely didn't help, only worsened it for me. I'm kind of dreading "after the Holiday's", right now I'm keeping busy preparing for them, but once they are over I'm sure I'll experience a big let down. Have to remind myself to "Stay in the moment, one day at a time", etc. Being sober, I'm finally climbing up, rather then sliding down.

At meeting last night we discussed "reality"...sometime's life really sucks! Given a little time and patience, it does get better. Glad you r hanging in there and dealing with it positively.

Iwillwin-Glad your doing well! It is wonderful to be able to meet face to face with other's who think like we do. It makes me feel normal just knowing I'm not alone. (Non drinkers have no clue what it is like for us.) Thank goodness! we have places to go to find encouragement and support. That includes SR as well. I feel I have found GREAT support systems here and at AA...both are helping me find the balance I need to carry on.

Back to baking! I also need to clean house as tommorow night we are having a Birthday Party for my Granddaughter who turns 5 today!

Love to all of you and may you have a great 24 hours! xoxox :ghug3
Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Last night was a close call. I had a huge urge to drink, but I didn't. I prayed and really thought the drink through. I kept thinking of what the consquences would be, one night of temporary relief followed by days of anxiety, not sleeping, depression. Its not worth it.

Sunnyflower sounds like you had a good discussion at your meeting. Its a good reminder that life will not automatically be rainbows and sunshine just because we stopped drinking! I miss going to meetings for sure.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I want to wish you all well. I am just lost and not sure if I can tackle this addiction.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
I want to wish you all well. I am just lost and not sure if I can tackle this addiction.
Matthew yes you can. Can I ask what seems to be holding you back? I know this has not been easy for you. You have to want sobriety more than anything, and be willing to do whatever it takes to get you there. I know people have given you good advice on this thread and other threads, have you been following through with their suggestions? Its great to hear from you, I'm glad your back. I dont mean to sound harsh with the questions, its only because I care. I want to see you beat this!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I am scared of being sober, but no idea why. I had 11 days a few months ago and they were fantastic.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I've said before Matt - you can tackle it now or tackle it ten years from now when your relationships and job have suffered, your kids and your neighbours know you as a drunk, and you're not drinking for enjoyment you're drinking to function.

The bottom line is you need to quit - it's much much better to do that sooner than later.

sorry for being blunt, but sometimes thats all I can be.
This thing destroys lives.

I spent years of being scared of change - I just wanted to keep my life as it was, just with me drinking less..

I'm not built that way. I'm all or nothing so I choose nothing.

My life's been through an enormous amount of changes since 2007 - but they're all good ones - I love my life and I love who I am sober.

I really hope you'll give yourself the chance to experience that too Matt.

D
Old 12-19-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I have to tackle my fear for a better life, family, and saving more money.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hope-Way to go on resisting that urge! I do as you, when the urge strikes...think it through. I am now starting to see real progress and I'm feeling "mentally and emotionally stronger" too. It's taken 3 1/2 months of sobriety to get to where I am right now and
I know that as long as I stay sober and make the necessary changes on myself, I will only continue to get better. "Life" will always have it's ups and downs...we can't change that, but, when we change ourselves, "we can conquer the world!"

WWG-The only thing that I can say is...When you are truly ready to stop drinking you will. Most of us have to reach "rock bottom" before we make the decision that we are willing to do whatever it takes to gain sobriety. It took me almost 2 years to get to that point. My drinking became so out of contol that I knew that if I didn't do something, I would end up losing everything and everyone I love and/or dead.

I also feared being sober, but my fear of staying a drunk was stronger. I didn't know how to be a sober person. I'm learning though and I'm finding I stay active and busy
sober, in fact I have so much to do I don't have enough time to do it.

I go to AA meetings alot and surround myself with "sober" drunks. They understand me like no non alcoholic could and share their experiences of recovery. I get hints and tips and an insight into myself. I use all I learn "from others" as tools to help me succeed.

I have found what WORKS for me and I work it. You have to find what works for you
and work it too.

Keep on searching,reading, posting, and learning about your/our disease. When the determination you need to stop drinking does occur, the tools you have stored up will be ready for use. Good luck!