Notices

Class Of October 2012 Part 4

Old 11-10-2012, 01:45 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Just thought I'd check in-been keeping a low profile this week as drank on holiday and been on and off since-not a lot-just a glass or 2 but its still drink

Jimjim-I'm so sorry to hear of your slip.I totally understand as have 2 45 day stints this year then drank. It sucks-I have no answers,just understanding and empathy.I've joined the November class though keeping a low profile there too as really just don't feel confident or positive

Sorry to hear you are struggling too Redviper-hang on in there-the difference between a bad day cravings and a good day is only 1 day

Hello Midnight.How are you today?

Neverthought=congratulations-that's fantastic Keep at it.

Winterblues maybe,wine nights normal I don't know but it seems harder in winter
Old 11-10-2012, 02:14 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

what are you prepared to do to change your current situation JHE?

D
Old 11-10-2012, 02:21 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

anything Dee.I just feel so weak,not feeling sorry for myself

It scares me. I know when I put my mind to it I can quit-it's staying quit that's usually the problem although this time I'm struggling at it from all angles.It's as though,the more times I've tried and the more I've failed the harder it is and the more scared I am. Does that make sense and not sound like self indulgent pity
Old 11-10-2012, 02:32 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the key is doing more....whatever more is.

If you think you need more support to stay sober long term...then find it.

If you need to change your lifestyle, then do it

If you need better ways to deal with feeling bored or lonely or scared or whatever you drink for, then you need to find those ways.

I understand feeling weak - I felt that way for years...I let that weakness rule me, I became fatalistic and apathetic and I did nothing, essentially.

I got swamped in a sea of beer and despair...I'd hate to see you get swamped too.

We get out of our recovery what we put in, I think JHE...if you want things to change start thinking what else you can put in

D
Old 11-10-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, JHE!

I am Ok today. My day off from the gym, so I'm wasting my energy cleaning up the mess in the flat). It's freezing today, winter is just about to be here. But it's sunny and beautiful overall.

Winterblues are my recurrent friend every year (actually, along with autumn, spring, and summer blues). Yes, you are right, it's harder in winter. It seems so natural to have a glass of wine at the end of a cold winter day. Or to make some mulled wine. It's like something that people have been doing for ages and that gives you some warm comfortable feeling.

I am trying to remove this poetic veil from "wine romance" and remind myself, that the way I look after more than one glass will be far from "romantic" (I still have that hangover picture in my cell phone).

I, maybe, saying cliches now, but you are not weak. You just think you are. Challenge youself in something. In something different, other than sobriety (I mean, stay sober and focus on something else). I don't know, if it makes sense or not, but it helps when you unveil your power in many different ways, and put another soldier in your sobriety army.

Don't keep low profile, sometimes it helps a lot just to scream on the thread "I can't do this any mooooooore", rather than to suppress it within.

Have a good day)
Old 11-10-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee-I'm sorry, you're having to say it again-you are right I do need to do something different

Thanks Midnight,I know just what you mean.

Being positive,I'm off to the movies now! Haven't been in years!

Have a great day
Old 11-10-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Am I still in the class after my slip? One of my triggers is my mom - for many reasons. After she fell and had to go the ER - she stayed with me for 3 days as she was evacuated from zone A.

My Aunt's house is gone but I am finally getting to see her tomorrow to see what I can do. Today I do my volunteer work.

LB
Old 11-10-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, Ladybone. Welcome back!

When watching the news about Sandy, I've been thinking how are you doing in NY among all this mess.

Sorry about your Aunt's house.

It's great that you are staying sober under these sircumstances.

My best wishes to you)

Stay with us and keep posting.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Neverthought *I have to stay away from all kinds of stimulants, specially prednisone and the like. Steroids give me a lot of energy and are very effective to treat inflammation in my joints, buy they *make me crave alcohol. I can't take appetite suppressants or drink energy drinks like redbull. I have to be carefully that my multivitamins do not contain macca, Yerba mate or similar roots that are stimulants as they all make me want to drink.

Even drinking coffee excessively could be a trigger. Please tell your doctor to switch you to another medication, and if by allergy you mean your body is itching, I believe that's common when detoxing. May be you can use a lotion like calamine or some other topical lotion or cream.

Guys you MUST treat yourself to the movie "Flight" it will do wonders for your sobriety. It's about this alcoholic pilot who goes through a terrific ordeal. I left me movie in tears but deeply *convicted that I can never drink again.*

I am grateful for my month, my week and 2 days today. I truly believe the worst is behind me. My job now is to work on my plan to stay sober. Some days are better than others when it comes to enthusiasm about my sobriety.

I am staying away from my mother in law today as lately she has been pushing some buttons. There is a get together that I will not attend today because she is going. I am learning to treasure and protect my sobriety.*

I am looking forward to my next therapy session. The first one was a couples session and although helpful, I did not have a chance to address this screwy thinking of mine, which if left unaddressed will most certainly deliver me back to the booze.

Natalie*
Old 11-10-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi everyone-
Day 14 here.
Ladybone: yes, stay with us, a slip doesn't kick you out--you came back, that's great.

Midnight: I too, have to remove the "romance" from the glass of wine and see it for what it is--poison.
Natalie-great job on the 6 weeks+, that's awesome. And good for you for recognizing triggers.

I'm still in a funk, but I'm hoping to force myself to get out today and do something.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I am also in a funk Samwitch, and staying indoors all day is not good for me. I am trying to convince my niece to go bike riding with me tomorrow. The weather is glorious in my neck of the woods this time of the year.

Last Sunday I was feeling the same way and forced myself to go to an air show at the air force base. I had a wonderful time. The show was amazing. Sometimes we just have to take that first step out of the funkiness and the rest just takes care of itself.

Staying home for too long tends to work against me. I am always looking for free or cheap activities to do outdoors.

I literally had to force me to bathe my dog yesterday. She smelled terribly and had poop on her collar, probably from playing outside. It felt like an insurmountable task, but once I took that first step, the rest followed effortlessly and I actually enjoyed it. I got a warm fuzzy feeling because I just knew how much my dog was enjoying her bath and how grateful she was feeling.

Taking that first step of out a funk is crucial to me. Lately I have had no cravings but have been feeling sorry for myself and very sensitive to others comments, etc, etc. I believe this is a trait shared by many who drink alcoholicly and it leads me nowhere good. It's my responsibility to get me out of this negative state of mind because I already know where it takes me. Staying in bed and allowing myself to continue to think negatively will lead me to the wine so if my niece says no to biking tomorrow I'll be spending some time with my chihuahua at the doggy park.

Lets enjoy our sober weekend October class.

Natalie
Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, all. Just a quick post to say that I'm still sober, with my Day 27 just about to be over.

Samwitch - congrats on two weeks. Don't force yourself to forcefully. Your mood will recover, give your neurons some time to get straight.

Natalie - great job on your sobriety. I'll check "Flight" moovie, thanks for sharing.

My best wishes to all.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good Evening. Day 21 wrapping up. Just checking in. I am tired from work so i am not typing a lot. Just going to stay in tonight, or maybe go watch a movie at my friends apartment. She doesn't drink much so it would be a safe comfortable place to spend a Saturday night.

I am really glad to see you all posting more, we had a slow down for a minute there. Welcome back Lady.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back ladybone

D
Old 11-10-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I went out last night with some friends and had one of those nonalcoholic beers. I thought since it wasn't alcohol it would be ok. I was wrong. I didn't drink anything else but I realized real fast how dangerous those drinks are. I wanted a real beer pretty bad after drinking it. My advice to anyone is to stay very far away from those drinks. I should have just had a soda. Just my two cents. But a lesson learned for sure.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

wise words RV.

D
Old 11-10-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Yikes-RV-that's good to know about the NA beers. I've been wondering about them--if they would help in a social situation. I'll stay away.

Well, I spent a good portion of my day outside doing things, and am feeling better. Not great, but better. I'll take it.
Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate it.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I really don't think an alcoholic should touch na beers. I was skeptical of people saying to avoid them but I do agree now. I'm a bit stubborn when people tell me not to do something. I'm sticking to soda from here on. Hope everyone is doing well and working the sobriety. It seems each person has to learn how sobriety works for themselves. I have to handle it my way, could be why aa isn't my first choice.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:10 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi all. I'm new here but my last drink was 10/28 (exactly one week after my 30th birthday). Today is my 14th day sober and I feel really great.

I started drinking at 21 and fell into it pretty hard over the next few years. For some reason I always told myself that no matter how bad it got, I would stop at 30. I always said that. I tried quitting drinking before now with no success, but this time it just feels different. I don't know if I subconsciously programmed myself to do it this way after telling myself that for several years, but I'm here.

I've been having the dreams where I'm drunk and watching myself act stupid, then I wake up thankful it's not true. Out of all of the times I "quit" before (that didn't stick), that just has never happened to me before! It's almost like my mind "knows" this time. I don't know. That probably sounds crazy but I just know I'm done.

I laid in bed, downloading music, watching TV, reading, sober on a Saturday night. And I enjoyed it!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Red Viper

I have read that in order to conquer alcohol we have to learn how to conquer the temptations. Giving in to even NA beer is just reinforcing the very behavioral patterns that we are trying to change. There is no "bar scene" for us anymore. As much as we want to go out and be like casual drinkers, we just have to get over it. Anyways, not sure but I have been too scared to try one... but thanks for the info.