Notices

A New Day (Munchkin's Thread) Part 2

Old 04-05-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

LMAO! Too funny! I promise I will NOT be posting a picture of it!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Glad you bagged him Munch!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

OHHHH Thank you Lord for that favor!

TOD
Old 04-05-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

My biggest relief? He can't be bothering us. I just want to make sure that it wasn't a family of them. As long as it was a lone rat! Recently DS came home from school (thursday) and he came in the back. Worried the heck out of me because I didn't want him to suddenly come across the alive rat.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

The Rat would be more afraid of y'all than you of him. Just to be on the safe side though! I'd get some of that pellet poison, put the parmasian cheese in it and place it where the mice/rats can get to it. This will finish off any that's left. I haven't heard or seen any evidence of the mice I got rid of the other day. I'm more worried about the snakes that follow them in than the actual mouse problem!

I rescued Peaches from a 12 ft black snake that slithered in while I was reaching in to get her. It had her wrapped up in seconds. Scared me to screaming my head off. I picked her and the snake up and tossed them into the yard to get it in the light. Jethro stomped on the snake and unwrapped Peaches from it's coils. I betcha though! That snake was probably thinking: WTF when it was sent sailing thru the air.

TOD
Old 04-06-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Well, I'm just thankful that the l'il bugger is dead. He was eating all of our greens, carrots, salsify, lettuce, all of it (except for the swiss chard and kale) is gone. Plus he kept bringing stuff out of the compost bin and scattering it through the yard. Made cleaning up really annoying
Old 04-07-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

That rat had a healthy diet - LOL!

Glorious day working in the yard and pond. I'm working on a new container to grow water lilies in. the kook uproot them, so I'm tucking them in a container for the deck
Old 04-07-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

I am not looking forward to tomorrow. Just want that out there. I don't want to go to work. I just don't want it.
Watching The Amazing Race with hubby and son tonight. Hubby puts his retirement packet in tomorrow which I find is kind of scary. Lots of shifts, lots of earthquakes in our life. And lately I feel like there are bigger ones to come. Thank God I'm sober to deal with it.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Munchkin: NOOOOOOOW I understand what the big deal was with the RAT! LOL I guess I missed this story earlier on. Or don't remember reading about it. Hmmmm But I'm glad it's dead now and the garden is safe for another day.

I can sure understand your reluctance about going in to work Monday! I do believe at this time though you are safe from doing the cake walk! So I wouldn't worry too much about that anymore. You are sober now and you'll be able to deal with the changes going on in your world at a much easier rate.

As for hubby putting in his retirement packet? I can fully understand that too. He's been in a LONG time. Hopefully with him getting out of that rat race he'll be able to sleep better and y'all will have a better life together.

You said y'all have paid off a lot of bills in order to prepare for this day, so that's a BIG plus on y'all's part. Being prepared ahead of time is always a good thing. And it seems like y'all are well prepared. I also had paid off a lot of our debt before I was Medically Discharged. I however didn't know this was coming. I just did the right thing as the months and paychecks rolled along. Man! I'm sure glad I did with the unexpected Honorable Discharge. So keep plugging away at what you are doing to get ready for it.

BTW? Munchkin? Why do you have a lilly pond as your Avatar when Pondlady should have something like that for her's? It just hit me today. LOL

Have either of y'all seen the movie "Act of Valor"? I just watched it tonight and it was a GREAT movie.

TOD
Old 04-08-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Actually a Water Lily and koi symbolizes a spiritual awakening which I feel I kind of went through in the early days of my sobriety. That's why I have it. I have been thinking of getting a tatoo, something small, with something like that to remind me always never to fall asleep (start drinking) again.
I know how strong the urge is sometimes in me to just "go to sleep" to just "escape" so I've sometimes thought that it would be cool to have something always present on my body that I can see to remind me.
This past week and even somewhat this weekend I most definitely had moments that were trying.

I woke up again at 2am with my heart racing which I haven't done in a little while.
Last summer that started happening to me non stop. That is usually, oddly enough, it seems like my minds early warning system of something wicked this way comes. Kind of like a premonition.
In the past its served me well, even when I was drinking but drinking muted it somewhat.
In the past I've had a bit of warning when a coworker was about to try to get me fired, or when we were about to get hit with something financially troubling, or even when I was about to be pregnant with our son. Something along those lines.
So like I said, I started getting those last summer almost every other day/night. And normally I can think on it and try to figure out what it is.
Last summer I couldn't really figure out what the heck was going to hit our life, other than possible retirement. So that is partly why we now prepare. Because something keeps scaring me so much but I don't know what it is. I tell DH that whatever IT is, we've never experienced this before. Me losing my job? Been there done that. Us moving? Been there done that. Hubby retiring, well that is a bit different but while I'm nervous, it doesn't scare me massively, I know that we will land our on feet sooner or later.
So this morning it happened once again. Read for a bit but that didn't calm me down. So I went onto FB and oddly enough the one thing that did calm me mentally?
I belong to a group there and one person posted "something in the universe isn't quite right" about 7 hours previous to 3am. Over the past few hours (leading up to when I saw it) many were agreeing and saying they too were having problems with sleep, that something is making them nervous. Something was scaring them, as it was me.
At that I put my kindle down and very slowly drifted back to la la land, relieved that others were feeling the same.
I know writing this (well actually when I read over it) sounds nuts. Like I'm paranoid or something, but I've learned to trust my instincts when it comes to something like this because in the past its never failed me.
So heres to hoping tonight will NOT be a night that I wake up at 2am.

Still here, still sober.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Lost the response I was writing

Munch, I'm sorry you're feeling scared. Have you talked about it with your therapist? You have a lot going on, so it's understandable. I don't know much about the military life like you and TOD. What is the timeframe for your husband's retirement? I seem to remember you have a house in Alaska, any chance you'll go there?

I fear the unknown and am scared about my father and sister's health. I'm afraid of losing them, but know I'm powerless to change things. Drinking wine in the old days would have "helped" me relax and "cope", but I realize how false that was. In our sober lives, we feel our feelings....which can be hard, but we make better decisions.

I finished reading The Good House. I really liked it and it was quite the page turner.

Stay strong and I hope you get a good night's rest.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Yup, I've told her more or less. Still though, I honestly use the fear as a tool because in the past its helped us A LOT. It has warned me to be prepared for certain things in our life. One time (the coworker bit) I was repeatedly waking up so scared, figured out it was work and my coworker and her intentions. That turned into about 6 months of hell and if I had not had that warning I would not have started keeping records on each and everything she did to try to get me fired. That was what saved me.
So, through my sobriety, I have gained faith in a higher power/God and I see this as his own way of warning me to prepare my family and I for something bigger coming up.
DH and retirement, well that is kind of stressing me out a tad bit but I'm not overwhelmingly nervous about it. Actually, something keeps telling me we will work things out there, that it will all roll out as it should be. I get the feeling that we'll be taken care of there.
Oddly enough, the one thing that calms my fear/waking up at night? Putting stuff away. Food away. Pay off bills. Put money away in savings. Learn new skills (right now learning how to make medicinal salves, next is making soap). Hubby is now very insistent on buying a crossbow oh and more coffee beans. LOL
There have been WAY too many coincidences in our lives, and I tell hubby and I have never felt God in my life more than now. (last time I felt like this was when I was pregnant with my son)
So anyhoo. We're good.
Last night/afternoon I got off work early which was super duper helpful.
First got home, changed, DH and I ran to Wallyworld to pick up my sons swiss army knife (TEENSY TINY ONE which he still managed to cut his thumb on), and also a camp table. Plus we picked up some heavy duty thread for repairing the camper, looked at fabric for new curtains for the camper (MIL has said she will sew them for us), some more rechargeable batteries (man oh man are those expensive!).
Then raced home and started to clean up the house, check out our new camp table, went through our camping equipment one last time, repacked much of it in our new footlocker, brought out the trash, the recycling (BOY THERE WAS A LOT! We're tossing a lot of stuff out!), then DS came home on the bus (as usual he ran out to the back where the dead rat is laying. He's so funny, he wrinkles his nose up and announces "THAT'S DISGUSTING!" all the while running back to it to look at it. Boys.)Next, loaded hubbys truck with stuff to be donated.
Then we got together a packet of seeds that we're donating to a community that was hit hard by the recession in Arkansas. Someone donated $5 to us so we're paying them back by sharing our excess.
Next planted peas. Then made dinner, then planned our future camping trips. (looking like one every other weekend from here on out), next (here's the biggie) planned our route up to the North and possibly to Alaska.
I type it now and it doesn't seem as much but boy did we get a lot of stuff done in a very short period of time!
As it stands today I have a mountain of work ahead of me. Vacation/Time off requests to be turned in. Contact our timeshare company to inquire about details on that, plan a vacation down to Williamsburg for one last time. We want to go to Busch Gardens and Water Country but we've learned never go to the park on a weekend. Too busy.
Next print out labels for some coffee beans I put away last night. Renew my travel agent status with Marriott hotels, yada yada yada.
So that all being said. Time for me to run.
Still here, still sober.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Still here, still sober. And not very chatty today. Tired.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hi Ladies! After reading Munchkin's last post. I wanted to share this story with y'all.

I've written a story about mine and Jethro's lives before and after our inital introduction to each other when we were 15 and 17 years old. We have an amazing story! We could probably be on a lot of talk shows with our story.

While going through the last horrible months of being miserable and confused with my ex-husband a couple of God's creatures came to comfort me.

Every night, while sitting on my couch, in the living room, a lone lightening bug would come to the living room window every night. It would sit there for hours just looking in at me and blinking it's light. Anytime I'd go outside I'd always see just one of these close by. There were times it would actually land on me or close by to give me comfort. Of course there were other Lightening Bug's, but they didn't stick as close to me as this one did. I even changed up my shampoo's, cond's, deodorants to see if this is what attracted it, but it didn't make a difference.

I took on a 10 year old Dashund when my cousin died. I had him out one night to potty and as I looked up to heaven to tell my cousin he was being taken care of a Green Lunar Moth came flying by. So it turned into an every night thing that this moth would follow me around the yard and chicken pens. I had to rescue it several times from becoming a chicken meal.

It was easier for me to clean, feed and water the chicken pens outside at night due to the heat and the bugs that came out during the day time that tried to carry me off as they swarmed around my face.

After I moved out from my ex's, the lightening bug and the Lunar moth followed me. (Don't know if it's the same ones but they were there). They were with me at my daughters and they are here with me now. It is such a comfort to see these little miracles that I just put a big smile on my face and thank God and the Angels for looking out for me and bringing me back to the man I've loved most of my life.

Jethro has these little butterflies that are always landing on him during the Spring and Summer time. We were always rescuing the Lunar Moth and the butterflies from the cat. But now that he's gone on to the after life we don't have to worry about it this coming Spring and Summer. We have a whole lot more birds around here also.

Thought you'd find this little bit of miracle's as fascinating as I do. Don't let anyone tell you, Angels and God doesn't exist. I know better. They are both there in the smallest of creatures. Plus the amazing coincidences in mine and Jethro's life and then us finding each other again is just more proof. Which is another story all together!

TOD
Old 04-11-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

You know, now more than ever, now that I am sober I do see so much more in life. There are amazing strokes of coincidence that are just too amazing to not qualify as a miracle in our lives. Our camper really we feel was one of them. How weird is it really that something we've always wanted but was always our of our reach suddenly was available, it was just there. Hubby and I have always been spiritual in a way but for us, its the outdoors that does it. We are both attracted a lot to outside, to hiking, walking quietly, enjoying nature (and I'm not talking just walking down a sidewalk in a neighborhood, even though that has its positives too). We like to be away from people some what as it makes us both calmer, more relaxed so camping has always had a draw for us.
Now hubby and I tend to quote the movie "The Way" a lot. (highly recommend this movie btw) There is a character in it called Jack. He's from Ireland and he's a writer. At one point he, in his passionate expression of his feelings says that everything MUST mean something. That "a dog fight next to a cheese maker" must mean something.
Another character, Sarah responds "Well Jack, maybe a dog fight near a cheese farm is simply a dog fight near a cheese farm".
We keep that in mind. A lot. So many things have happened to us though to us in the past 6 years or so, give or take. And so many things have seemed as if we are being led down the proverbial gingerbread path.
Our son was born, then we moved and hit massive hardships (financial & emotional for me as I suffered at my job where all the others to this day still do their best to remind me I am an annoying cockroach), I began and still fought addiction, am sober and now I constantly ask God as he puts some of these "coincidences" (too many to count) "Why are you showing me these things? Why am I learning these things? Why did you put THIS in my path?" I'm sure we all do this at one point.
You know what the answer usually is? First and foremost, what the heck are you doing asking me this? But then later I get the answer "I will need to know this later in life. This lesson, these things that I feel like I am being pushed to learn will serve me well later."
Weird I know.

Well today I collected a burlap sack (small one meant for unroasted green coffee beans) that I have repurposed for collecting herbs and wild edibles and collected some plantain. Between that and some lavender & comfrey that I got from Mountain Rose Herbs I plan to make salve for bruises and other ouchies. I have one for sore joints and muscles that is the bomb (made from eucalyptus & wintergreen).
This weekend since its spring time and we've had warmer weather I am going to try my best to collect some stinging nettle since its good for treating allergies. Lets hope I do not get stung! I have before and it hurts!

Appointment today with my therapist, and then have to run to Target. I'm going to get an ice cream machine/maker and we're going to make fresh ice cream this weekend while camping. YUM!

Still here and still sober!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Here is what I am making today btw,
Greenaway's Comfrey, Lavender & Plantain Ointment :: Arthritis & Circulation :: Healing Treatments :: Faithful to Nature Organic Products Shop for natural products online
Old 04-11-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

TOD, I've always loved lightening bugs, they hold a special childhood memory os summer at my grandparents lake house. I'm not sure I've seen a lunar moth before, but if I do, I will think of you and Jethro.

Munch, I bet the salve smells good - I love all the ingredients. What type of cold pressed oils do you use? We love to walk and enjoy nature too. If we won the lottery, we'd buy LAND!

End of the work week for me
Old 04-12-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Just virgin olive oil. Nothing fancy. I've been thinking of switching to coconut oil if I can get a good deal on a lot of it.

Same here Pond. We'd buy land too.
Today we go camping which is kind of funny. Hubby has been putting up big resistance about using the tarp/bringing the tarp/blah blah blah.
I keep saying this is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
I have the idea to hook it up over the fire pit if needed (rain)
Well today, guess what guys? Its raining. So hubby calls me this morning worried "What are we going to do for dinner if its raining?" I tell him "hook up the tarp. No worries, mate" (in my best Australian accent which btw isn't very good)
He once again pooh poohs the idea "nah, don't wanna bring it blah blah blah"
Uggh.
Whatever. LOL
Yes, it'll be a tad bit damp out but we've got loads of firestarting materials that we've been collecting all winter, lots of newspaper, going to buy some nice seasoned firewood today on the way there from an old retired couple (we always buy from them), so there (in my mind anyhow) there is nothing to worry about. That is unless Deer Creek swells so much and flash floods. LOL

Let me just say, yesterday was sooooo busy. So chaotic. I'm so glad I didn't have anything scheduled for yesterday. Because here was my itin.
Went to dr/therapist appt at 945a (OOPS! appt was actually at 9a! I got confused!)
Next, Target. Bought ice cream machine, a few things for DS for hiking (whistle, extra flashlight to attach to his fanny pack, non rippable poncho), and a new swim suit for moi.
Next, bring home everything and run to commissary. I swear it seemed as if each and every retiree followed me around.
Next come home at 1pm, fix my lunch, sit down at 2pm after cleaning up the house, working on the salves, doing yard work, etc etc to eat. When hubby calls me at 209p to ask if I can go to the camper because the repair guys will be there at 230p. But I also need to bring the money so can I go to the ATM too?
(this was his task actually)
Sure. Scarfed down my food, then ran to the bank, ran to the rv storage lot, and waited. And waited. And waited. Guys ended up showing up at 310p. Grrr.
Repair not done because they had the wrong parts. I wasn't too concerned.
Next, go home, be there when DS comes home. Start another load of laundry. Do more yard work. (found two more dead rats btw)
Then DS gets home, we work on his homework. He has a snack and then we head back over to the camper.
Get some work done, all the while DS is wandering around, going in and out of the truck.
Suddenly hubby yells outside "OH SHOOT!"
Turns out that DS locked the keys in hubbys truck. I offer to run home and contact housing to request they help us get in the house. DS wants to help so he walks home with me, at first embarrassed that he did that but then apologetic and said he will try not to ever do that again. Ugghh. If I hadn't been so annoyed at the time I would've found his apology sweet.
Well anyways, we got in an hour and a half later. Started dinner at 645p, ate, cleaned up some more.
By 815 I said "DONE"
Went upstairs with two loads of laundry to hang up/put away.
By 915pm, lights out, snoring commenced.
My legs were so sore by the end of the day.
Well anyhoo, I'm here right now at work. I get off in another 3 hours. Then I race over to home pick up my Bodymedia arm band (its broken) really quick, then race to the post office. Then back home. Pack remaining items, and then wait for hubby (who is also supposed to be off by 12n)

Yes, to any and all that are newly sober or are still fence sitters. This is life without alcohol.
Chaotic. Frenetic. But Its life. And it's so much more real, so much more wonderful without the booze, drugs, or what not. Because tomorrow and the next day and the next day I will remember what happened the day before. And I will not wake up hungover feeling like caca.
Still here & still sober.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Munch,
Ewww, on two more dead rats....do they live in packs?

Have a good time camping this week end....hope you packed yourself a little chocolate
Old 04-14-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Hersheys of course! Gotta have smores when camping!
We had a good time but we all need some more practicing setting up and breaking down. We used to have it down to about 45 minutes of work. Instead it took us about 2 hours.
glad to be home but we had fun. My legs are sooooo tired right now. We did a four mile hike on Saturday that was a bit difficult in parts. Saturday night I fell asleep reading in bed at around 6pm. LOL DS & DH were playing Monopoly. And Thankfully hubby was considerate and kept DS entertained. I was pooped.
Yup, rats tend to live in groups or packs. Here's to hoping we got them all. The rat poison is still out there so that's a good sign.
Came back today, and since arriving back home, we've put everything away, showered, cleaned up the house some, went over my DS report card, checked on all necessary junk, like I had a giveaway that ended on Saturday so had to do junk associated with that. Then our rental management property still hasn't deposited our money which is seriously ticking me off. ($1600 missing there with a mortgage payment that is due on the 10th! they're supposedly trying something "new" whatever it is I want them to go back to the previous reliable way)
DS & a friend are playing nicely now on DS's Wii as I type here. Nice to see them playing like that. And now it appears dh came home from his hair cut.
Okay, so back to work (physical rather than sitting)for me.
Still here, still sober and rather sore.