Notices

A New Day (Munchkin's Thread) Part 2

Old 03-02-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

ooohh very nice pond!
I'm going to make peruvian rotisserie chicken tonight along with fried plantains and arroz amarillo (equates to yellow rice) and candied acorn squash using cinnamon, butter, pecans and honey. I think I might make a poor mans version of dulce de leche with sweetened evaporated milk I picked up in the dented goods area today at the commissary.
Oh funny bit. Hubby and I a week or two ago picked up some of the reduced meats they had at the commissary because we heard about how the sequestration would possibly furlough some of the USDA staff which would mean possible shortages of meat later. So anyhoo, today at the commissary. NO MEAT in the reduced meat area. All gone. Hubby and I looked at each other, nodded and said "hhmm. someone else had the same idea obviously. Or a bunch of somebodies.
Oh and the SHTF (poop hit the fan) at work yesterday. Its official. We are now down to mandatory 16 hours of LWOP per pay period. The office staff present went ballistic. Other than this lil chica who WARNED them a while ago this was coming, they didn't believe it, and now, voila. Here you go.
I told hubby it WILL get worse. How bad, don't know yet but we're prepared and I thank God we are. I actually prayed on my way out of the office yesterday thanking God for helping us out and teaching us we better be prepared. Now, we do have bills but nothing that one paycheck can't cover.
Now that leads me to worry about the next US speed bump. March 27th will be here before we know it.
Still here, still sober
Old 03-04-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Chicken turned out good but a bit dry because at around 545 I suddenly got up from my organization of the cabinets in my house and realized "OH POOP!" I gotta get the squash and rice started! UGGGH.
So now today I'm at work. Thankfully no one has gotten into a tirade. YET.
Not looking forward to hearing it really.
One thing I've learned in my sobriety. There is nothing you can do to control the events or happenings around you. One can only adjust your reaction to it.
Yes, it kind of sucks to be told that you will be getting a pay DECREASE but there is no use wailing and crying about it because the situation is what it is.
So whatever.
Have a doctor appointment this afternoon and then DS, Hubby and I are supposed to be going to the gym today.
Trying to enjoy the time at the gym as much as possible because if more cut offs/pay cuts happen that will be the first thing to be shaved off.
We have a free gym here on post but it doesn't have an indoor pool which is kind of a downer. This summer I'm hoping to take my son swimming a lot more here on post in between camping trips and stuff.
Well gotta run. Have junk to do.
Still here still sober and YAY 2 lbs lighter this Monday!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

2 lbs lighter - good for you! I recently decided I want to try taking a five mile walk, once or twice a week. I usually do 3.4 miles. Today was my first time to try the 5 miles. It wasn't bad at all, especially as I was listening to some good music.

All these cuts are a real worry! We just finished paying off a big medical bill for my daughter and will pay off a credit card this week. We finished paying for our car last fall. Our kitchen remodel bill is not paid off yet.....but that's next on our list....keep chipping away.

Hope you and your family get to enjoy the gym tonight!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Yup, I agree Kim! That is the best we can do. Chip away at any debt we have, get rid of it.
Its tough and it takes a lot of discipline.
We soooo need a new bedroom set (ours is around 20 years old) and I need a new vehicle. Instead though we're just hanging in there, paying stuff off and hoping our old stuff will last just a tad bit longer.
And as predicted, the higher bosses are now asking for more lwop than 16 hrs per pay period. Guess who predicted THAT little tidbit.
LOL
Did manage to get to the gym last night but didn't really get much of a workout in. Took DS and I about an hour to drive the normally 15 minute drive.
Frustrating.
Well gotta run. I have to work on this other stuff here for this group.
Still here, still sober.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Everyone here is talking about the snow storm we might get. Have to admit, a snow day tomorrow would be nice

Heading over to our farmer's market , winter market this afternoon. They have it inside a church about once a month. the outside market opens May 7th - yippee!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Well today has been interesting to say the least.
Boss broke down and actually CRIED. In front of us.
It seems the number of required, mandatory LWOP might be going up to 32 hours a paycheck.
They are now saying it. Layoffs are likely.

My God I'm tired.
Still here at work. Boss has said that on top of those who are already taking their mandatory lwop now everyone in the office will be required to help out with voluntary lwop.

Yesterday, at my doctor appointment first and foremost, let me say, I actually told the nurse when she asked if I think my Mom drinks too much (we had gotten onto the subject somehow), yes, I do. When she asked how/why I think that.
I answered without even a flinch "because I'm a recovering alcoholic. I've walked that road"
Wow.
It amazed me how I could say that without even the barest trace of embarressment or whatever.
Well I have to keep this kind of quick. Almost the end of a very tiring workday.
Whew. 32 hours. Didn't see that one coming. We were preparing but we weren't thinking it would get that bad.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hi Munch and Pondlady:

WOW! I just keep seeing the sh1t hit the fan all over the place! The news said today that ppl on Food Stamps Assitance used to be 13 million. It's now up to 47 million! I told my husband this when he got home this evening and it just floored him. All the charities keep asking for handouts, but there isn't a lot of ppl able to give like they used to because THEY are using the help now themselves.

I guess your boss has finally WOKE up to the fact she isn't going to be saved just by being the boss. HUH? But on the other hand - I'll be nicer and say this. She's probably also worried about her employees and what the world is coming to. But aren't we all wondering that these days?

The news also reported there are a whole lot more Militia Groups now than ever before. People are getting scared and worried about what's to come more so than ever too. Jethro and I will do our part to continue helping our daughters and their families out where it's needed. My daughter isn't in need, but his is. So we've been putting money into her hands to help her on all sorts of things. We aren't rich, but we aren't going hungry or w/o either. All of our vehicles are older models, but Jethro can repair anything that needs fixing on them. All the way up to replacing the engine in my car a few years ago. So we are blessed in that area. He can fix pretty much anything, really!

I don't give regularly to Food Banks, but I do give cash to all sorts of events going on. I also give a nice tip when we eat out. So I pay my good fortune forward all the time. I also donate clothes and stuff to the Salvation Army and Humanity for Habitat. Goodwill makes a fortune off their items donated if y'all didn't know that and it stays right there in the owners pockets? I have found in the past. Once you put your name out there on a donation. Everybody starts bugging you for more and more. So I've chosen to do it like I said above.

Munchkin! Give your husband a "Gibbs" slap up against the back of his head and wake him up. He's on a short leash here in reference to what may come of his career. We would all love to sit and watch the big ole bad stuff pass us by. But it's not going to be a pleasant event doing that in so many ppl's cases. Also find out if the maintenance shop on base has someone that can work on your vehicle? It's done all the time.

God save us all from so much grief! Amen

TOD
Old 03-06-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Hi all,
Still here still sober and at work today.
Might get off early. Don't know.
Its funny you say that about hubby TOD. He got me pretty ticked off when he missed the Job Fair thing they had here on post. It wasn't really employers in the area. Instead it was ACAP (army career assistance program) sponsored to help soldiers learn how to whiz through an interviews, resume writing and what not. I felt it would be helpful. He said he got busy at work.
Keep reminding him "WORK WILL ALWAYS BE BUSY" so when does that end? A year from now?
Oh well, whatever.
Feel like smacking him upside the head but I don't think it would do a whole lot of good. LOL

Well here at work some are on the brink of mutiny. Some not.
I expected all this so I'm a bit calmer than the others.
It's going to get bad in this area and unfortunately we have not seen the worse yet.
I think I kind of made a boo boo yesterday here at work.
Someone remarked how the stock market is rallying and doing so well. I announced that is because the Fed and Ben whatever his name is has been buying bonds to inflate the market to help boost the numbers. When he was questioned in a hearing recently he was asked when will he be stopping this routine like procedure of fudging the numbers by buying Americas debt and boosting the stock market. He shrugged supposedly and said he can't because otherwise it would collapse.
A few here got some shocked looks on their faces.
I wish I lived near you! Hubby and I both are NOT mechanically inclined and my jeep is so broken. Got so many issues with it.
Need new tires, gotta get the electrical system fixed, gotta get the radiator fixed. Oil change. Blah blah blah.

They (some financial planners/expert economists) say that our true unemployment rate is closer to 15% or more but because they (the US Govt)are eliminating young adults (16-21) and the senior citizen group and also those who have stopped claiming unemployment or stopped looking for work in the reports it makes it look ever so much better.
Ha. Whatever.
Well still here still sober and gotta get back to work. Gotta get my stats going up.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

TOD
I donate to our Good Will. I believe in their programs that help people with disabilities develop work skills. Our Good Will's are not private franchises. I did however, stop shopping at a local thrift store that I learned only gave a small amount to Viet Nam vets, pocketing the profit for themselves

Munch, Really sorry to hear about the stress in your office. You've been talking about how it was coming for a long time now. Proud of your remark to your doctor

Well, I'm in a bit of a grumpy mood...think it's just good ole cabin fever. Too much tv an and being on line. I still walk outside most days, but am not as productive as I should be in the evenings. My lingering cough doesn't help with my desire to hibernate either

Snow day today and schools are closed. Getting things done inside and will take some snow pics with my camera later.

So glad to still here and sober
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Munch: LOL I bet you can't guess how many have said they want to live close to us due to Jethro's handiness with the car repairs? He could stay busy 24/7! But I wouldn't want to have to keep up with the book work and pay those taxes on having our own business. Yikes! That gets very expensive.

I watched Dr Phil yesterday. It was about an Air Force man that was no longer in the AF, was married and they have children!! He LIED to his wife for FIVE years about having a job. He would go lay in his Van and sleep while SHE thought he was at work. Their house even caught on fire - TWICE and he couldn't take the time off from WORK to do anything about it. He even lied about having a College Degree. Yowzzzer! Dr Phil did however see the reason for him acting this way due to him no longer being in the AF being the reason he went into denial. So he offered to help them both. Bless our men and women in uniform. We are SO lost when we are tossed out into the civilian world and left to flounder. GET your husband to make a MOVE towards the future!

Pond: I received an email awhile back with a whole list of places that were not good to donate to. And the reason's why. That's why I said what I did about GW! A snow day off from work? Did you enjoy yourself?

As for MY day? I ran myself ragged today doing a bunch of stuff around here. I'm not going to retype it here. It's on the Hen House Thread if you want to read the funnies.

I have an MRI scheduled for in the morning. Not EVEN looking forward to having this one done. But women have to do things, men don't. ARGH! Have to get dad ciggies at the base and then head out to my parent's house afterwards. I also have to bring the Girl Scout cookies we all ordered from my grand daughter in MD! LOL Then we have to make a Wal-Mart run afterwards. Busy day tomorrow.

Y'all have a nice day tomorrow.

TOD
Old 03-07-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

I did enjoy my snow day, and got some stuff done around the house.

Thinking of trying a recipe for a cinnamon cake with cream cheese frosting for tomorrow's "date night' - "on demand" movie ( we're planning on watching Flight) and a homemade goodie

The sun actually shone during my afternoon walk - hallelujah!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Gotta keep this quick as I still have a massive amount to do before lunch time today. Not getting off early but I do have a group to work on & finish up. Then I have some personal junk to take care of.
Things are becoming messier and messier here at work.
I guess yesterday they sent out an email saying all paid time off was suspended and if we wanted to take time off it would have to be LWOP only.
Then they back peddled a bit and announced nope, sick leave is not included.
I don't know. Seems crazy.
Whatever. Like I said, got some stuff to get done.

Oh and had yesterday off. Didn't get as much done as I would've hoped but I still made some headway on a few projects. Mostly having to do with monetizing my blog. Can't believe it. Making money even more on it. Not enough to pay the bills but still, wow.

Gotta run.
Still here, still sober.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Cinnamon cakes cooling, will frost them when I wake up from my nap. Started on a cough suppressant.....just hope it works! Hubby and I did a 3.4 miles walk in the sun - supposed to get to 60 this week end

I'm sorry things are so messy at work Hope you have a good week end with your family. Any word from your Mom?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Very nice!
Nope no word from Mom. I've called a few times that I know Dad is home and he is the only one that will talk. Mom I guess is too angry at me.

Its okay. Job security. All of this stuff I have been up to adds up the transaction numbers so I'm grateful.
ooh ooh! Get this! Hubby and I bought a Grain Mill! We're going to start grinding wheat for flour! Since we bake a lot of bread we decided in the long run it'll be cheaper. That now said we need to get some wheat!
And green coffee beans. We're almost out!

Cinnamon cakes sound yummy! I might make something with cherry preserves or apple tonight. Just depends on how it goes tonight.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

The cake was delicious, unusual and rich. My daughter is making making an orzo dish tomorrow night with caramelized winter veggies. She made it last week and we loved it. It has sweet potato, chard, fresh ginger and is oh so yummy! Where do you buy whole wheat to grind?

Cough has me feeling tired and drained Pond filtration is up and running.....things are coming along.

We watched Flight last night and really liked it. Have you seen it? I think I would have felt guilty watching it while still drinking.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

You two do WAY more cooking than I do! LOL Well! Let me say this instead. Y'all do more involved cooking than I do. Give me a bag of microwave steamed veggies in sauce any day to cook. Or better yet? There are LOTS of takeout food around here. I can just pick the phone up and place the order. I've tried doing a little extra sauce/seasoning here and there. Some came out not so bad and others. Whistle Whistle - Here doggie doggie! And to make matters worse! I was raised on salt, pepper and bacon grease being the main seasonings in what I ate. Then I joined the Army and got their food. So ME NO cook if I don't have to.

I've had a busy yard day and doing stuff on the inside now. At 3:30 am! Ha Ha Ha! I'll pass out when I finally get my shower done hours from now.

Y'all have a wonderful Sunday!

TOD
Old 03-10-2013, 01:27 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Munch: I was thinking about your dream you posted about a ways back. Would this song have anything to do with it? Except it would be your mother in the place of her father.

TOD
Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

hhhmm, not exactly but some of the imagery sparks parts of the dreams I have. In the past I've had dreams where the tornado is baring down on us and I'm having to try to "save" everyone.
Now, everyone is usually gone and I'm not really worried simply because while its windy and scary outside I know I'm safe in the house.

Thankfully I never had anything happen like in that music video with my Mom. Mom didn't start heavily drinking until I moved out. (18 yrs old, she was 39). She might've started drinking a bit more heavily earlier than that but I do not remember as much.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Well at work today. Got an offer to write as a guest blogger at another site which I thought was pretty cool.
Had a busy weekend that I didn't get nearly enough stuff done in.
Hubby went off on a tdy so I set up all the alarms at our doors and stuff as usual.
Its weird. Life is more simple when hubby is gone and yet its a tiny bit tougher because I have more to do myself.
Still though, I always feel when I'm near my hubby as if my mind is all over the place. My brain gets all scrambled.
I don't know if it is because he is like that himself always. (I swear to this day he has ADD/ADHD)
Well whatever. Things are dead here somewhat today.
I may issue some of my group reservations. Other than that nada going on.
Oh and very tired. Couldn't get to sleep last night till around 11p. sigh.
Still here, still sober.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

I absolutely could not sleep last night and was exhausted when it was time to get up for the first morning of DST.....dark and pouring down rain I haven't napped purposely, so I can hopefully sleep better tonight.

TOD, I don't cook like I did when I was raising a family, trust me, but I enjoy it when it's not a daily grind.