Notices

A New Day (Munchkin's Thread) Part 2

Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Good sign you fell asleep at 6 pm - you were tired and needed the sleep. The hike sounds awesome - I love to hike Glad you had all the fixins for s'mores......I'm going to have to make them this summer

I put on my waders and spent a couple of hours in my pond this afternoon, splitting water lilies. I place the rhizomes in burlap with gravel and tie them with twine, then place on the bottom of the pond with rocks up around them....to keep the koi out of them. I also got my whiskey barrel, liner, gravel and some plants to start by container water garden. I think it will be pretty this summer up on the deck.

Back to work tomorrow......already looking forward to the week end.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Really busy this morning. Rental management company finally paid us our rent so busy busy busy.
Plus I'm counter & DTS today which adds a bit.
Still here, still sober. And kind of thinking of starting a program called Shakeoleogy (spelling?) Anyone heard anything on it?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Is that some kind of a shake....a healthy kind? Not heard of it, just making a guess
Old 04-16-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Yeah they are meal replacement types but after a bit of reading and finding out how much those things cost I said "NO WAY"
Instead DH & I went to GNC and got us some more Lean Shake. Got Vanilla Bean, Orange Cream, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Banana (for hubby. YUCK) and mixed berries.
Told DH I just feel that I am getting really off track on my eating habits.
So during the weekdays and the weekends that we're not camping we're going to be watching what we eat A LOT closer.
Today I have orange cream and an asian pear for breakfast. Cauliflower and hummus for a snack. Miso soup and kim chi for lunch.

Oh and had a weird dream last night. One I haven't had in a while. I had a drinking dream. Weird.
I was (once again) with my parents when they offered me a glass of wine. I took it, gratefully, and had (I think) about two glasses when suddenly I was struck with a "WTH" moment in my dream. I then (I think) threw the glass down and yelled at my parents. What I definitely remember was telling them that for me, a glass of wine does not just end at a glass of wine. A glass of wine then brings me to another and another and before you know it, two bottles gone all in one sitting.
Mom & Dad in the dream didn't understand (I think)
(BTW, when I say I think, it's because that is what I can somewhat recall from the dream)
The one thing I remember more than anything was how upset I was that now I've messed myself up. That I can no longer claim that I have such and such amount of months clean and sober.
A lot of regret for myself in the dream that I messed up and anger at my parents for not standing behind me and undermining what I am trying to accomplish (a sober life)
Don't know where that dream came from because I haven't had one like that in a long time.
Weird.

Well today, got a few things to accomplish here at work. Hubby wants me to check on a few things, I need to buy a few things online as well.
Thankfully we got our rent money, hubbys paycheck, and his travel check is coming soon.
Last night we had a productive evening. Went over some things we want to accomplish, money wise, along with what to do with my Jeep. (found out yesterday the military will not ship it up to whereever we go to next)
Oh and I have a busy Thursday coming up. Worse I think than last Thursday if you can believe that.
Have my son's re-registration for before and after care, 11a appt with my trainer, run to the clinic to get prescriptions filled, run to our favorite coin gallery to talk with the gentleman there, an appt to get the pop up repaired at 3p, be home by 345/4p for my son.

Well, whatever. Gotta get to it before I forget half of what I need to do today.

Still here & Still sober.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Not much here....kind of in a little funk Went to the last inside farmers mkt this afternoon. The outside mkt will officially open May 7! Early am staff meeting tomorrow morn.....last one of the school year
Old 04-17-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Oooh that reminds me. DH wanted to go to the farmers market here real soon. I'll have to remind him of that.
This week we get our CSA share! YIPPEE! FRESH ASPARAGUS! FRESH GREENS!
YUM.
Sorry you're in a funk. I have been like that for the past couple of weeks. Don't know why. Camping helped a bit though.
We've got another trip up to PA not this weekend but next. Oh drat. Which reminds me. I gotta wash the sheets! We're going to remake the beds tomorrow (since the guys will be out there fixing the shower) and then popping it back down.
You guys wouldn't believe what I got DH yesterday!! A Kindle Fire. I already have one, love it, love it! Now for hubby, I don't know exactly what he plans to do with it. He said he wanted one but ....he doesn't read for pleasure. Almost at all.
It does have an Audible app on it but he never listens to books either. He just doesn't get pleasure out of books like I do.
Only thing I can think of is he wants it for the game/video aspect of things. I just finished reading Stephen Kings "Under the Dome" which is not one of my favorites but it is a good read. I've always loved The Stand from him. I rarely have paper books now. The only ones I invest in are my absolute favorites which sometimes I will get signed by the author. (Diana Gabaldon novels, Stephen King)

I also got us a Katadyn ProHiker water filter. I was eyeing hiker backpacks but I had already spent over $200 and there are other things we need/want more. (bike rack for the camper/dh truck is a big one)
Oh TOD , you'll like this one. You'll never guess what I got in the mail yesterday. A catalog for raising chickens. (something we still want to do)
I'm going to keep it around for later on. Might be useful after we move.

Oh and one sad bit that was a bit of an oversight on our part. Looks like we might be losing our timeshare usage this year. We forgot to transfer the points into something we could use and it just went to the simple Hyatt points which means it has to be used by November 20th. We did the math last night and there is simply no way we can make that work. Our projected date to depart is possibly around the 14th of November and the closest Hyatt Vacation club to us on the way of our move will be either in TX (which is WAY out of the way) or Sedona AZ (which would be nice but I don't think we could get there fast enough)
Kind of sucks but we both are just shrugging at this point. There isn't much more we can do.

Well gotta run.

Still here & Still Sober
Old 04-19-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

HELLOOO!!! ITS FRIDAY! And munchkin is sore.
LOL
My trainer worked with me on abs and thighs a lot yesterday. Good stuff!
I'm so glad its Friday! This weekend we're going to get some mulch for the backyard, do some planting, pick some dandelions for dandelion wine (that no I will not consume. Its for cooking only. I told hubby I don't want to keep having to buy wine for cooking and dandelion wine does the trick)
Mead and Dandelion wine I consider are very safe wines to have around because honestly, in the old days, I never used to drink them unless we were completely out of everything else, I had already had a bottle or two of wine or a few martinis and wanted to keep drinking. So therefore I was desperate and swallowed it down with a grimace.
Now that being said, we'll be making a small amount, since also we'll be moving within 7 months or so afterwards.
Its so funny. Every so often I think of my drinking days and I can still feel the old emotions that led to me drinking, that draw, that feeling of almost lust for alcohol, yet now a days its so distant. Still though, I bring it up, the thoughts of my old drinking days, to remind myself to be vigilent.
And you know, I am soooo grateful for my son. He was the reason I quit, he is the reason I am sober and every morning I look at his sweet face, I get a hug from him or a snuggle, its yet again a reminder of what I am working for.
That I do not want him to have to deal with what I deal with, with my own Mom.

So anyways, there is my addiction bit of the day. LOL

So yesterday I made the reservation for FrontierTown campground that is costing one heck of a lot of money! SHEESH! $72 per night! Still cheaper than a hotel in Ocean City but waaaayyy more than we normally pay. Last year I think we paid around $50 some per night so they have dramatically raised their costs.

Oh yesterday I got HALF of what I wanted to get done, done. I did get the re-registration for my son, I did work out, and I did get the camper fixed. I did not go to the coin shop, get my allergy shots, get prescriptions filled and a bit of shopping. GRRR.
Hubby is supposed to get two of those done today for me.
Oh and hubby is super enthused with his new Kindle Fire. He started reading a book yesterday (I think simply because he wanted to say SEE I'M READING A BOOK ON IT!)
but then switched to Survival Craft. I think I got him hooked.

Well have to run. I have a few things to get accomplished and then I'm going to play a bit of Survival Craft myself. They supposedly added piranhas and sharks to the game. Want to try it out some.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Munch, Thanks for posting about why you got and stay sober. It's always good to remember....I too remind myself.....never want to slip.

My goal toady is to make a phone call to a yoga studio within walking distance to my home.....Brenda would be proud! have a great sober week end
Old 04-19-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

oohh nice! I wish there were classes here on post that were during a good time for me. Hhm, maybe during summer I'll see if they have them in the evenings.
Oh and we're looking at enrolling DS in Taekwondo which we remind him will help him defend himself cause he's just a tiny guy. He is a tad bit shorter than some other kids his age and he's got more of my family's build which means he's not really big. You know? He might grow to 5'11 like many of the men in my family. (hubby is 5'9, I'm 5'7)
And I've also started looking into getting him into Lego Robotics. We're going to see if we can get an exception for him because the minimum age is 8 but since he's now been labeled (at his gradeschool) as gifted I'm hoping I can push that a bit. I think both things would be good for him.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hi Ladies!!

Sorry about not responding too often! Been busy and then recently I've been having these horrible headaches. These started because I stopped using my BP meds. The meds were causing really bad Charlie Horses in my calves and my right foot. ARGH! Then of course my BP starts rising and this is where the headaches are coming from. So I'm now taking the BP meds again to stop that problem. Oh I just love getting older! NOT! So I get a call today from my doctor's nurse telling me I have a new BP med heading my way. This will be my fifth try on a new BP med.

We have a guy coming tomorrow to meet with us on helping us with some projects around here that is going to take more than just me and Jethro to get done. I hope he doesn't cost us an arm and a leg in payments. But it's worth the payments just to get these things done.

Munchkin: I had to smile at your comment on the chicken catalog. All you need to do is call or write to TOD and I'll be able to tell you anything you want to know about chickens. LOL I was on the phone with a man yesterday at USAA. The big chickens were raising hell and I had to tell him to excuse the noise. He has just recently bought a bunch of chickens so I gave him some quick suggestions on how to keep them healthy and laying eggs. The guy coming tomorrow to talk with us said he could build a nice chicken coop for us. I started laughing and told him they wouldn't know how to act if they weren't in their crates at night in the house. And then of course Maria sleeps with her daddy in the bed at night. She'd REALLY be upset. We don't go on vacations due to the spoiled chickens around here.

Well I see on MSN who it was that bombed Boston. I told Jethro they would be foreigners. And that they are. I am very glad to be an American and I hate that so many Foreigners want to take us out.

Pond: How is your daughter doing with her back? Is she doing better?

TOD
Old 04-20-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Tonight all, is most definitely one of those nights when I'm so tired, and just want to say F f it, but of course, I won't. Instead I've got me a cup of espresso. Been snacking on m&ms.
Gotta run. Its pork roast, sunchokes and kale
Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Turns out the yoga was a "hot yoga" class - so didn't do it, as I'd be miserable. Will look for a traditional class for relaxation and stretching.

TOD, thanks for asking about my daughter. She has been doing very well She is working about 30 hours per week and she is in good spirits.

I'm soaking in posts tonight, reminding myself why I never want to drink again, as I've been missing wine lately. Ten months today and I know I'm done, but keep thinking of it

Tired legs - a good tired.....fast walk, stretching and yard work....hope I sleep well.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

It was a tough weekend for me as well Pond. For a few reasons actually. First, (I just put this idea together actually) its that time of the month for me and I always have a harder time during that time. Thats when I want all of my vices even more so. Chocolate, Salt, Fatty, Greasy, and yes...alcohol.
But then hubby DID not make it any easier this weekend. I could tell he wanted to play on his Kindle and I understood that. However we had a LOT to accomplish this past weekend to prep for this upcoming weekend.
We've got a camping trip up to a lakeside state park in PA that is roughly two hours away. I don't have massive amounts of appts on Thursday but I still need to to a tad bit of running around and plus I've warned hubby that be prepared. The boss has advised us here that we are still required to take our mandatory 10 hours but we're now being loaned out over the phone to other offices which takes away one or more individuals and then also we lose the two individuals here this week. This means she will be taking away some of the time I request off. Weird situation. We're required 10 hours a paycheck but then boss doesn't want us off either, instead wants to loan us out to other offices (which in my opinion makes the company actually lose more income but whatever. I guess that is why I don't make the big $$$).

So anyways, (got off on a tangent there, sorry) we had to work like mad to get everything ready, just in case I can not get off on Thursday. Or Friday for that matter. I leave early on Friday for PA (since it is a longer drive)

Now while I complain and moan that we were so busy (and it was so stressful) we did get a sh load of stuff done.
From going through our paperwork safe and shredding (two bags full), planting seedlings (some of which have died. exposure to elements, and biggest hit was from fungas gnats. Still battling those), cleaning the house, organizing camping stuff, packing camping stuff, laundry, ironing, yardwork, shopping, yada yada yada.
I went to bed last night with my feet and knees and hips HURTING. PAIN. Massive Pain!
It was as if I was working at a department store again where I used to stand up all day long.
I stepped on the scale today kind of hoping I had dropped a pound maybe. My face looks leaner today, so do my arms. But nope, gained a pound. Those chocolate covered marshmellows with cookie that I ate in massive quantities yesterday didn't help. LOL

Oh well, I have a busy weekend ahead. We're going to try to see if we can get a discount on the boats there. I would love to take DS canoeing. Its been forever since I did that.
DH and I used to do stuff like that in Alaska before DS was born.

Well, I have more to say but I have stuff to do here at work. I'm the counter/DTS/Quality control person of the day. Fun fun.
Another day another dollar, eh?

Still here & Still sober.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

We live near to several canoe rental places and I've said for the last couple of years we should do it....maybe this summer will be the year

Beautiful day here - all the leaves and buds are popping - very pretty. Hubby and I took a long walk together, it was good to talk. I then ate a dish of ice cream I just can't beat my sweet tooth!

Busy week of work, but only four weeks of school remain. I'm really ready for this year to be over....not sure why, but I just am.

Well....still here, still sober and plugging away.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

We made fresh ice cream on Friday. Vanilla with mint chocolate chips. Pretty yummy but very rich so I have to watch how much I eat. (lactose tolerant)
Today I was a bit better even with an unexpected luncheon/potluck. Breakfast was a GNC shake. Lunch was some potstickers, roast pork and rice, tomato salad, chips and spinach dip. Not the greatest but not super bad either.
Today was the last day for employee no1. I'm sad to see her go. I got along well with her.
A few days from now will be time for employee no2.
Here's a prediction. Come July we'll have another round of layoffs.
I could be off some but so far I've been pretty close.

Well I'm still pretty happy. Hubby and I are watching Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. I got my new BodyMedia armband so I can start to earn points again for stuff. Found out that I can also earn points with Walgreens too which equals $$ off of stuff we buy there.
Plus I want to buy hubby a new shirt from Railriders which is an outdoor clothing company we like. Hubby thoroughly messed up his last shirt.
(a shirt that is supposedly indestructable btw)
I get you on wanting school to be over with. I'm the same with ds. Still though I have a 2nd grade workbook that we'll be going through soon and I have plans to order a 3rd graders math book for him. We'll see how he does through it.
Well must run. A good part in the movie. I like the spiritual message about this movie. You all should watch it.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

LOL I just realized last night I wrote "lactose tolerant" not lactose INtolerant as it should be.
I'm sure you all knew what I meant though. LOL
Didn't get to watch that movie all the way through but it is a 2 hour movie and hubby turned it on at 7pm or there abouts.
Dead here at work today. I think I'll be playing a bit on my kindle today.
Not much else going on really. 13 tickets issued.
Snacking on pita chips and spinach dip. I woke up kind of hungry this morning.
I'm playing around with watching The Impossible again but that movie is such a tearjerker. Not certain I'm in the mood for it.
In the mood for something lighter I think. Hhhm. I guess I need to do some research into good movies out right now.

I have a game plan here for work because of the developing situation. Going to have to be smart on this though and it will require a bit of forethought on my part to make it work.
We'll see.

Still here & Still sober
Old 04-23-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

You are searching for movies and I'm searching for good music for my walking play list

I've been tempted to buy an ice cream maker, but have to watch my cholesterol....maybe I could look for some lighter recipes?

Long day, too tired to walk....think I need a nap.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

How about low fat frozen yogurt with fruit? Or sorbet?
Man, last night I slept like the dead. I think its simply because I was really really tired. I tell hubby he tosses and turns, A LOT. He's going to request a sleep study done on him to see if there is a problem there.
Oh btw, we never did make the dandelion wine for a few reasons. First and foremost, we would have collected everything this past weekend but then it would take 6 months to get to the finished product. Since we have 7 months left to go before we move we said "No good". Also I just ran out of time so, no dandelion wine for cooking. I told hubby, fine. We'll just buy little bottles of wine when we need to cook with it. No biggie.
Its not as if we cook a whole heck of a lot with wine now a days anyways.

So today, seems to be a "hurry up & get stuff done, called in, appointments made, purchases made" kind of day.
It started rather chaotic as the Army closed one of the roads near us for PT tests which meant all the civilians coming in to work were bogging down the roads. It was frustrating but amusing to DS & I.
Its now 908am and I am just now going through emails, checking through stuff.
Had to make an appointment for hubbys truck. He has a slow leak in a tire.
Next, I have to order a few things, Amazon, Lehmans, a few other companies.
And I seriously have to contact the MWR here to see about the trap/skeet womens shooting class that they have in May.
I am waitlisted for the class but I have to see if they are still having it.
Oh, super happy. I ordered a bike rack to go on the back of hubbys truck. We got part 1 of 2 to it. Now just waiting for the next part so we can fully use it. Hopefully on the next camping trip.
Talked to my Mom yesterday. At one point when she complained that I didn't call her all weekend long and "WHY??" I told her we were super busy, prepping for the camping trip coming up, housework, catching up on stuff, etc.
I could tell she was just about to go on a tirade about "why do you do all that silly camping stuff when you then have to work so much harder on the non camping times. You could just stay home and watch tv and not have to work so hard"
I cut her off before she could do it though by just saying "We work so hard to get caught up on non camping weekends so we can do what we really want to do, what we really look forward to which is our weekends away from the house, camping"
Mom really needs to work on some of her own issues. Really.
From the sound of it, she was going to the gym a lot with the ladies of the neighborhood but she's stopped doing it. The reason she told me was "the housework is not getting done then"
Nope. I would like to say that I KNOW THAT EXCUSE. It is the addiction telling her this is too difficult to go to the gym with women that are her age or older (and more fit than she is) and work out while suffering from a hangover.
Okay, whatever.
She asked me recently if I was still not drinking (as if I gave it up for lent or something :rotfxko ) and then suggested maybe I go home and have a glass of wine to relax. Okay.
sigh
Today for breakfast is pumpkin spice pecan bread and a hardboiled egg.
Lunch is a mishmash of leftovers. Roasted sunchokes, stuffed bell pepper with a hamburger, onion rice mix.
Weird I know, but trying to use up whatever we have currently.

Well have to run. I have to get some of these things accomplished.
Still here & still sober.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

I always buy the chocolate / vanilla twist non fat frozen yogurt when we go to Costo - LOVE it! Good idea for me to look into frozen yogurt and sorbets.

Incredibly long hard day....just drained. Daughter made a tasty vegetable stir fry that I scarfed down!!!

I think it's great you have something you look forward to, your camping I think hubby and I should plan a little get away this summer....think we could use it.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Pond: Here's a song to add to your collection! I'm going to go thru my list and start posting some for ya. Do you have a specific choice of music?

TOD