A New Day (Munchkin's Thread) Part 2

Old 04-25-2013, 01:50 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

TOD
Old 04-25-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Okay! Both of you gals could use this one!

TOD
Old 04-25-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Don't shake it too much! LOL

TOD
Old 04-26-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

At work today for a bit.
Pretty busy day yesterday even though I only had two appointments.
Not going to bore with details. Got our CSA share yesterday which was super cool. Asparagus is on. Love it! I love our farms asparagus. Its huge, crunchy fresh yummy.
Had a bit of frustrating bits in the afternoon when hubby called and said that he had been put on a detail unexpectedly. We were due to leave early and hubby did not listen to me earlier in the week when I said "maybe you should put in for leave that day just to make sure they cannot suddenly pull you back and say you have to work the full day or even worse make you work really late that day?"
Well he just put in a request with his leadership to leave a tad bit early (talking 1p approximately). They said yes, but now that he is on this detail he will be working till 5ish. We've got a two hour drive ahead of us to the campground tonight so we'll be setting up at dusk most likely.
The thing that truly irks me? He is use or lose. TOD you know what that means. He has to use his leave or lose it. He's use or lose 16 days and yet he goes on and on saying his leadership won't let him take it and at the same time says "nah, I won't worry about putting in for leave to leave a tad bit early". In this case after the fact he said his leave would have been revoked anyways.
Okay. Now where does this make sense? He's use or lose. What commander wants to be responsible for saying he FORCED a soldier to lose his leave? None that I know of, at least in a non war time situation.
So my guess is. Hubby doesn't want to turn in leave for whatever reason. Hubby doesn't want to push that he's got use or lose because then "he becomes a problem" in the unit. Hubby also doesn't want to push that he's retiring soon therefore he's got his own sh t to work on.
Sigh.
So yes, we're going camping this weekend. But its going to be a hectic evening.
Hoping we have fun.
I leave today at 12n.
Still here, still sober
I'm so frustrated by it all.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tunes TOD. I'm working on fast paced music that I like, for my walks....which I haven't even taken the last two days

Munch, Enjoy your camping trip. Sometimes you post how well you sleep and I hope that's the case this week end Nice to get away from it all. For me it will be Calgon take me away....maybe I'll light a fragrant candle while I soak.

You ladies have a good week end
Old 04-28-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

More on the photos I'm posting later. I'm jumping between cleaning house, cooking din din and making a peach pie for dessert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
campsite.jpg (93.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-28-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

This was our view each morning. Enjoy. We did
Attached Images
campsite2.jpg (97.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-28-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Munch, Thank you for sharing your pictures. What a view to wake up each day So glad you made it and got away and hope it did you a world of good

We too had a nice week end, lots of walking, gardening and working in my pond. Now to get through Monday - LOL!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Well, now at work and boss has "voluntold" me to help out another office all day on their phones. Means if I have to get up for a bathroom break, go get some water, go to lunch, or even God forbid, go blow my nose I have to announce it to the world so they can bring in someone else onto the phones for the 2 to 3 minutes I'm gone. Uggh.
All week long I will be this office and I'm so grateful I am off on Thursday! One less day this week I have to put up with that office.
I guess I should just say, I'm grateful too that I'm employed.

Good news is we have almost paid for all camping trips this year. Up until August that is.
There is a big one in there ($200+) that will be for about 5 days up near Lancaster PA.
I love camping up there near the Amish farms. Very peaceful. That one though, even though it borders some Amish farms is simply a kids campground. It has a small water park, putt putt, bouncing pillow, go karts, and paintball wars. (that ds is thrilled he gets to do this year)
This weekend we did manage to get away as you can see. We left home by about 330pm and that was with hubby "lying" to get away. He told his unit he had an appointment at 4pm that he had to get to which left him in a rather grumpy mood when we were setting up. Its all good though. Saturday we all got up, had breakfast, cleaned up a bit, took showers, then went to a flea market and farmers market where DS received a $2 bill and a mini bible which he then used to buy a toy car from a flea market vendor. I bought a whoopie pie from a wunderbar Amish frau which was utterly delicious. It was like eating two rich chocolate soft cookies with sugary clouds in the middle. I know if I had asked her the recipe she probably would've told me she can't give an Englischer that. LOL
Then later, a guy begged and pleaded for us to come over to his booth to give us a free bracelet. That was rather amusing because it turned out it was a preacher who decided to have a big prayer revival with us and after us praying with him he announced "you shall now go to heaven! There is nothing you need to do more in your life to ensure you go to heaven because you have prayed with me" I had to fight hard to keep the smirk off my face.
Told hubby "uh huh. Wow. Who knew that all it took was a few "magical words" to assure your place in heaven!"
LOL
DS made a really good friend at the campground, another little boy who I believe was 10 years old. DS got their email address and phone number so they can be pen pals.
And DH and I both got to take turns to actually lie down and take a nap! That is unusual in the extreme. Well no, the part that is unusual is ME getting to take a nap. Usually hubby will take a nap with me keeping DS away from the camper so daddy can get some sleep. Hubby on the other hand will tell DS to go ask Mommy even though Mommy is taking a nap. LOL
So that was our weekend in a nutshell. We might try to go to our "home campground" either this weekend or next. Two weekends from now we go to another one of our favorites. This one has a beach so this time I'll be smart enough to bring DS's swimsuit.
I have noticed one thing that is something of a "mindset" change. Last year by mid summer it had become apparent, now its happened earlier. I learn to not take cooking on a stove, a bathroom close by, heat, electricity all for granted.
Last night I noticed it when I was cooking dinner. I had a weird sort of moment when I thought "wow! its amazing how fast this water heated up and is now boiling! Oh right, its because its on a stove" DUH
Or even later last night, I was lying in bed about to go to sleep when I realized I had to go to the bathroom. My first thought was "joy, now I have to walk all that way to the bathroom. Ugh." which was replaced by "oh wait, no I'm home now. Bathroom is so close!" LOL
Things are just a tad bit tougher when camping but still enjoyable and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Its so peaceful out there, so relaxing. Love it.

Well today, later on, I will be IMing my old supervisor to see about getting my old job back in Fairbanks. Wish me luck guys! I'm going to need it!

Still here & still sober!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

So have you decided to return to Alaska for sure? I know how much you love it there, so am hoping this works out for your family

Long day. Finally finished the school budget, and will present it to the school board in the morning. Hubby is out of town, but will be back tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

We're trying like mad to do it Kim. Its looking more and more likely for me that a job will be a possiblity. As for hubby, he got pulled into that stupid detail that now is keeping him busy till the 8th. He "says" that after this detail, no more, he won't get pulled into anything, that he'll start earnestly working on his resume, working on his own retirement stuff (of which he's barely done anything), working on him getting a job come retirement but I'm not holding my breath. Hubby doesn't like to look like "the bad guy" or the "lazy guy" or whatever at work which means he'll say yes a lot.
Very frustrating. Sigh

As for me, spoke to my old supervisor who told me a bit of his plans, spoke to my old coworker who expressed her deep wishes that I come back to work with her. So I guess we will see over the next few months. In the meantime, I am still stocking up stuff that we'd want that we couldn't buy if we had no money coming in. From food to shampoo, soap or whatever. On top of that, paying off our bills (which we now barely have any), putting away in savings, yada yada yada. Good news is, if hubby and I settle in without a hiccup then we'll have all of this for some other rainy day in the future and we'll be secure in the fact that if we don't have money we still have food. We still have some of the creature comforts that make us happy. (LIKE CHOCOLATE)
Lately I've been busy stocking up clothes for DS since right now he's completely grown through all his pjs. His pj bottoms look like capris on him now. LOL :rotfxko
Next, I'm getting size 10 and 12 jeans, pjs, and what not for him. Ebay has had some good deals on that.

And hubby told me he wants me to buy a cheese press online here within the next day. We want to try our hands at making cheddar. We have a round of gouda currently aging.

Oh and TOD, if we do succeed in moving to Alaska, or wherever else we move to, we are definitely raising some chickens. How many should I get if I want around a dozen eggs a week?
Should I start with just two or three?

So many projects I/we want to do in the future if everything pans out. Told hubby I would love to have chickens, rabbits and at least two goats. And of course our garden (which all will have to be defended against the wildlife. Moose, bears, foxes, wolves)

DS says he, of course, wants a cat since we lost Mittens last year which is okay with us since we like cats. I like dogs but they are so much more work than cats are.

I guess we'll see over time what happens. All we can do now is do exactly what we're doing.

Still here & Still sober.
PS. Here's a picture of Fairbanks btw!
Attached Images
fairbanks1.jpg (55.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-30-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

I've never been to Alaska, but have heard it abounds with natural beauty. I've read about little day light in the winter and long days in the summer

Glad board meeting is over. Good news, I got a raise I'm better at my job since I quit drinking....of that I'm sure
Old 05-01-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Yay Kim!!! That's awesome!

Well, something amusing here. So we lost two people last week. Sad but moving on. Now we're helping Ft Lee in VA. One agent allotted to that. Now West Point has its cadets graduating. Lots of business there & they need help.
So boss has said no more taking full days off, mandatory LWOP is still required though. I'm so glad I've gotten so caught up recently. Its been a BIG help because now, most of our stuff is caught up, organized and what not. Told hubby that my paychecks will go up again since during all this I've been taking up to 30 hours per paycheck. Ouch.

I think I might just use the time to go to the gym in the afternoons (if I can)
I'm going to use the gym here on post since I work right next to it. I quit my other gym membership to save the extra $119 per month.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
So anyhoo, you know one thing that I've noticed recently is the constant needing/wanting or desire to say "I told you so"
Its not very helpful in just about everything. Especially when talking with hubby. I notice the thought a lot when hubby is talking about jobs on the outside, how easy it was for his coworkers to get hired, and what not. Part of me worries about that because he thinks it will be a cake walk to get hired.
I hope it will be. And I don't want to say "I told you so".
Same goes here at work. I try to not say it too much, if at all. Most people do not like that.

I have to try to work on that. I used to be the one in our marriage with rose colored glasses. Now I tend to be cynical and skeptical. Hubby tells me I've changed. I used to predict everything will turn out good, no problem. Now I tell him "this won't work, you're unit won't let you and you know it, jobs will be harder than you think to get" etc etc.
I think I need to think on this a bit. Maybe its because I've had quite a few disapointments and this is my way of defending myself against them? Hhhmm. Talk with my therapist tomorrow about that.

Well, gotta run. Still here & Still sober. Oh and very very hungry today.
PS here's another snapshot of Fairbanks.
Attached Images
fbak.jpg (94.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Wow, I need to visit this place sometime - so beautiful

I think it's great progress that you look into yourself and see behaviors and discuss with your therapist. I've been trying to see things through other people's eyes and remind myself I'm not always right!

We lost one of our beautiful dogs today.....we're heart broken
Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Ahhhh Pond! I'm so sorry to hear of y'alls loss. I know it's a heartbreaker to go thru. We do pull thru though. It just takes the time. Jethro was talking about his "Little Girl - Morgan" last night. She was his first Silkie Hen that got very attached to him and him to her. I see the sadness in his eyes when he talks about her. And I catch myself tearing up when I see her grave cross outside the window. Here's a photo of her.

TOD
Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Pond: Congrat's on the raise!! This will be more money coming in, but you already received an earlier raise by not buying all the alcohol!

Munch: A young hen just starting out in their laying years will lay one egg a day. So you can figure out how many hens you'll need from that! Here's you a link to go check out how many different breeds there are and what types there are. This is the hatchery where I have bought a lot of babies from.

Murray McMurray Hatchery - Standard Breed Chicks

TOD
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Munch: I forgot to say this to ya about the "I told you so" statement. Just start saying "Memorex"! LOL You'll have them all confused. Just keep smiling. You'll have them wondering what you have in your pocket.

TOD
Old 05-03-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Had off yesterday which was nice but my allergies are now kicking my butt. Got a lot of really good things accomplished which made me feel really good.
By the end of the day though, I was spent, No more left. We didn't even eat until almost 8pm.
Funny thing, hubby is still using the "I don't have the time" excuse for just about everything.
I honestly think my therapist was right yesterday when she said that maybe hubby is just nervous about retirement so he's procrastinating and instead just turning to what he knows and what he's sure of. (his normal job in the military. Writing a resume, getting his name out there, doing research online etc etc is out of his comfort zone.)
Well, whatever.
Hhmm, I'm going to have to join chicken boards to start learning the ins and outs of chickens.

My mind is all discombobulated (sp?) today. All over the place. Got a lot to do, can't remember the order of its importance though. LOL
Oh btw guys, heads up in the travel world. Frontier airlines has instituted a carry on baggage fee. $100 for each carry on. Soda & coffee $2. The others are expected to follow suit shortly.
Change fees for the airlines are increasing to $200 per ticket.
Prediction for you. All the airlines are going to keep increasing this, especially as each one gets bought out and we have almost a monopoly in airlines.
That one is an agreed assessment by all of us here in the office.

Well gotta run. Like I said, I have a lot to do today and my brain is everywhere. Not very adept at multi-tasking today.
Still here & still sober.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Oh pond, I'm sorry, I forgot! I meant to say sorry to hear about your dog. Very sad.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Discombobulated.........one of my favorite words

TOD - I can see from the lovely picture, why they're called silkies.

Heart still aching, but feeling my emotions and trying to garden, walk, pond....instead of drinking wine.....a whole different outlook...a healthier one.

You two ladies enjoy your week ends.....I'v got ponding, gardening and walking on my mind.