A New Day (Munchkin's Thread) Part 2

Continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ew-day-20.html

welcome to your new digs Munchkin

D
Old 09-23-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!

Tomorrow I'll update more on our weekend, but as usual. Weekend was super busy but we still planned a bit of fun too.
Still here and still sober. This week is 9 1/2 months.
Something special about that, that I'll share tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wanted to post on your new digs
Old 09-24-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

awww thanks pond!

OMG what a morning already and yet I have to say to the great big void out there "MY SON WAS MY ROCK STAR THIS MORNING!"
Thanks to him I got here at work 1 minute after 8am. If not for him I would've been really late!
This morning my Jeep just would not start. So I quickly grabbed my car battery charger to give myself a jump, got it going at first but then it became apparent. If I let go of the gas peddle it would die out on me. This would most assuredly drain the car battery charger so I could not let that happen.
So, I told my son, "Sweetie, I need you to unbuckle your seatbelt back there, come up here and push on the gas a bit"
Of course he was hesitant. Mama always lets him "help" drive down our street after getting the mail but this time he would be in the front drivers seat himself, pushing on a peddle that Mama has always told him not to touch.
First few times he pushed it he revved the engine loudly which scared him and made him even more hesitant but then after about a minute more of coaxing and with my guidance he put his toes on the gas peddle and kept the engine idling. Just long enough for me to disconnect the charger, close the hood and run back to the drivers side.
The car died for a moment when he pulled his feet away but I started it soon enough after that we got it going.
My God, I cannot believe this morning! And yet, I'm so proud of my munchkin for being such a brave guy, following what I told him to do in an insane crisis like moment.
Without him doing what he did this morning I would still probably be at home, stuck because my cars battery was dead.
Now, to any and all who read this today. Please say a prayer for me that my car starts this afternoon. I am going to have to go out during lunch and try to start it, and then really hope that it starts by this afternoon.
Hubby is on missions and I have no clue if he'll be able to pick me up this afternoon.
The more prayers the better.
Oh and Pond that is awesome about your sauce! I have found a trick to making thicker tomato sauce. Take a colander and gently take apart the tomato over the colander. This will help drain some of the tomato juice thereby making thicker tomato sauce.
If you really want to do something different you can even save the liquid in a bowl underneath the colander and then use it for everything from cooking beans in it to making tomato soup out of it.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I saved all the excess juice - quite a bit - maybe I'll use in in a bean soup? Sounds tasty, especially since the weather is getting cooler.

Hope your car started this afternoon
Old 09-25-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yup it did, thankfully. I honestly think (and so does hubby) that it's some sort of short in the auto start/remote keyless entry that we had installed years ago.
My jeep will do this for a couple of days and then be good again for the next several months.
Frustrating in the extreme. I have probably about 2 more years with this vehicle and then we'll trade it in for something else.
So, anyways, a while ago, (what was it Sunday? I cannot recall) I said I wanted to bring up a neat tidbit that I took note of.
Now at 9 1/2 months sober I have gone past the longest I've EVER been without alcohol.
When I was pregnant I had about a total of three wine glasses of wine (small amounts each time but still wine, none the less) during the entire nine and a half months.
After I had my son, my first drink was the Baileys that my Mom insisted I should have in my espresso to help me relax.
About maybe a tbsp full. When my son was around 3 months old I remember I poured myself about a 1/4 cup of cognac or brandy in the evening. I don't remember which it was.
So, I have now gone the longest EVER without alcohol in my life! Wow!
And now, as of today I have lost a total of 45 lbs. My size 12 slacks hang off my hips.
Good stuff going on.

Oh and here is a prediction about things at work.
Business is super slow. I mean really slow. Government travel has slowed down to a crawl. When you look at the news you can see why. The government has no money!
Hell, my husbands unit has been saying for the past year they have no money for training.
The government overall has said they will reduce spending by 30% in fiscal year 2013.
So its slow here but the amusing thing is all my coworkers keep saying "Its going to get better, it's only just now that it's slow"
Hubby and I do not think so. We feel things are headed down to pretty low levels.
We've been preparing somewhat for this since last Spring. Paying stuff off, getting our affairs in order, just in case.
Some of it is because of retirement looming, but some of it is because of the situation with the government. My job is dependent on people (government employees whether they are civilian or military) traveling. And now there is no money for that.
Boss has been asking for LWOP. And guess what?
I'm not taking it.
I have gotten so much slack, so much negative looks, and what not for taking it in the past, so I figure, my coworkers don't want me taking LWOP? Well fine. They can take LWOP. If they don't want to take LWOP? Well fine, boss lady is gonna have to can someone.
And this l'il chica will be making sure she keeps her nose clean, does her job, shows up on time, and stays to herself to keep herself under the radar.
A year from now I'll be outta here, almost 60 lbs lighter, sober, healthy. We'll have our bills almost completely paid off, and hopefully we'll either be retiring or moving via PCS to somewhere on the West Coast with lots of land, no allergens (oak, ragweed), a place where I can have my garden, chickens, and goats that I want. And I'll be away from this sh*t!
Still here, still sober and pretty pumped today!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
I saved all the excess juice - quite a bit - maybe I'll use in in a bean soup? Sounds tasty, especially since the weather is getting cooler.

Hope your car started this afternoon
Oh by the way, we find that that tomato broth when cooked with beans makes the beans super tasty!
Sometimes we take beans, cook them in the tomato broth with maybe one slice of bacon.
Then use those beans as a protein on top of salad. Super yummy!
That way you get two uses out of the tomatoes!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That cinches it....I'm making bean soup with the tomato juice

45 lbs with the goal of 60 - way to go! You and hubby are smart to see the big picture financially and get things paid off. We make our last car payment at the end of this month. We'd like to save more money, but have some medical bills for my daughter - but keep chipping away.

I'm determined to get home on time tomorrow and get in a LONG walk

Congratulations on your longest ever sobriety
Old 09-26-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks pond!

Well yesterday, boredom won and I left 2.5 hours early. Actually I was falling asleep at my desk, if you can believe that!
So I managed to use the extra time at home to can two quarts of apples for making apple crisp, apple crumble or apple fritters later on.
Then, picked my son up and we managed to get two spelling homework assignments done, 3 math assignments and then I let him go play with a friend for a bit. Suddenly exhaustion hit and I could barely even think of what to cook for dinner. So we were bad and ordered out. It's been a bad month for ordering out!
Last night, believe it or not, hubby and I and son all went to bed at 8pm on the dot. Hubby was asleep by 815p, son was asleep by 835pm, I was asleep by 845pm.
We were all tired I think.
We also skipped my sons Cub scouts meeting which I feel bad about and yet I'm kinda glad we did since it was obvious. We were all tired.
Tonight we have green beans to process, dinner of course to make, and I'm giving son seeds away to a friend so I need to figure out which ones I can give away.
Same goes to you Pond! If you want some just let me know!
Still here, still sober and now determined to fight the boredom because I downloaded a new movie. NO MORE LWOP!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the offer of seeds. We have little sun, which is why I go to the Farmer's Market, our vegetable garden just didn't get enough sun. I live vicariously through you and your garden

Sounds like your family needed a good night's sleep. What movie did you download?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I purchased the Devil wears Prada or something like that. I've heard a lot of people give good reviews on it.

OMG this morning was HELL. Hubby started it with lost keys that then I helped find. He's severely bad about putting things away and last night that meant it was his keys.
This morning he got up as normal at 430a, made our sons lunch, then (I am assuming because I saw his computer up and the game was on his computer and it got really quiet downstairs for a little bit) played on his computer for about 15 to 20 minutes and then about 520am got up and started frantically looking for his keys. At 525am this search now included me as he raced into our room exclaiming "I cannot find my keys! I don't know where they are!".
I knew this search would probably last for the next 30 minutes with him getting more and more upset so I got up, found his keys and sent him on his way.
Next thing, I get up, get ready for work, get son ready for school, we get ready to leave only to find my son has now lost the remote to the Roku (like a cable box). So I drop everything while looking at the clock and exclaiming mentally "OH SH*T! Now I'm running late!". We gave up looking for that remote and then I collect my stuff and realize "OH NO! Where did my keys go to????"
I did find them, finally. We left the house, bringing stuff with us, when hubby calls to ask if he can fill up his truck at the gas station. I told him while I'm stuffing my son in the Jeep can't he hold on for a second? at which point he exclaims "no he can't. But he'll do a transfer of funds in our checking acct over the phone and asks for the password (that I've given him so many times I cannot even say) to our account.
I reminded him that "Okay, I will give you the entire login and password to our main account over an unsecured connection like a cell phone"
This was obviously starting to **** him off but my point to it is, I have told him repeatedly what our password is. God forbid, something happens to me. He will be CLUELESS!
UGGGGHHHHHHH.

Okay, I vow this day will improve. It has to because if it continues this way I will end it by getting rammed by a out of control Semi on my way to my doctor appointment I have that is 45 minutes away.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hate mornings like that! Hope things settled down for you. I bought my hubby a decorative container and told him to put his keys wallet , etc in it, so he'd always know where they are. Of course, this plan means they have to remember to do it!!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Actually we have a hook and phone caddy right next to each other so when we put our phone down and plug it in then we just hang up our keys right next to it. Issue is my hubby carries his phone all around the house because he plays games on it with other friends.
I keep joking with him saying I'm not going to compete with his phone anymore. Sick of that phone.
He keeps trying to get me to put games like that on my phone but I keep telling him "no thank you, I prefer to spend my time with my loved ones, not some stranger on my phone"

Still here, still sober and by the way. No more bacon for my cat. EWWW. She threw up all over the floor this morning and it STUNK.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Still here and still sober too
Old 09-28-2012, 11:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Just wanted to say hello Munchkin05! I actually have those chickens running around my yard and living inside my house! They look like my Avatar!

Congrat's on the sober time. I have 98 days off opiates.

I'm also well known with the military ways. I'm retired after 23 years in the ARNG. I'm also a 100% DAV. I was pretty much a fulltime guardswoman than just a weekender! Many a day I had to call the Travel section to make arrangements for personnel to fly out somewhere. I have family members in MD too. One still active duty Air Force there.

I also have a husband that's good at losing things too! LOL And he has many sets of keys for many things!

BTW: I use to have a hen named Munchkin!

Tiredofdrugs (TOD)
Old 09-29-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi TOD!
Munchkin is quite resourceful...no telling what she'd do with chickens I'm following one of her suggestions tomorrow in making a bean soup. Also going to try a no knead bread, baked in a dutch oven.

Congrats on your 98 days. I'm at 14 weeks no wine. Still here, still sober.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

GOOD MORNING!
Crazy morning. Jeep didn't want to start AGAIN. I swear that God must WANT me to know how to work with a vehicle and jump start it because I'm becoming an expert at it!
I had a sneaking suspicion that it wouldn't start today so I went out early, Thank God!
I managed to get to work at 754 so I think I did pretty darn good! That being said, tonight will be another crazy one as I have to get gas as I'm on E. That's very uncommon for me to do but I had a feeling hubby would need to fill up last week and we were running low on funds so abstained on getting gas so that he could.

Wow, thanks Pond!

We wish we could have chickens. DS keeps asking for chickens and rabbits.

Well, yesterday we ran up to PA at about 11am right in Amish country (which was kind of weird considering what we were up to!!!!). We went to a pistol and rifle club to practice firing pistols! First time for me handling a 9mm! And you want to hear something even more exciting that had me jumping up and down????? (even now I'm jumping!) I fired about 25 rounds and 20 of those were torso hits, one was a neck hit. One or two I missed but still! I cannot believe I actually hit the target!
YEAH FOR ME!
The instructor (one of hubbys coworkers, a Capt in the Army who was previously a civilian DOD that specialized in security and is an expert in firearms) trained me on all the ins and outs of handling a weapon, stances, firing, proper posture while firing, etc. etc. So that was exciting.
Then we came home, hurried up and made some fresh bread, some Irish colcannon in the oven and then made an apple pie. After dinner, got some fireballs canned and pumpkin pie (aka crookneck squash) dried to be made into powder later for making pumpkin pie. Who KNEW!?? You can make pumpkin pie out of dehydrated pumpkin/winter squash!!??
I didn't but now I do!
Only thing that I am kind of being hard on myself about this weekend is first, during the firearms class on Sunday, several times I messed up and forgot how to handle the 9mm when walking around. Teacher had to chastise me a bit. I felt like slapping my forehead and going "DUUHHH!"
And last night I stayed up till 1020pm trying to figure out how to purl stitch when knitting. Still can't figure it out!!!!! GAAHHH!
I'm a lefty so for leftys the purl stitch is a bit more backwards.
Hubby keeps reminding me, I'm too hard on myself.

Oh well, still rockin, still rollin, and still sober!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh Man Munch.......I don't know how you pack so much into a day....shooting, baking bread AND an apple pie!!!!!!????? Well....at least I can knit.....sort of

Forgot an important fact when I made my bean soup with fresh tomato juice! Home Ec - 101 ...yes I'm old enough to have taken Home Ec. Beans do not cook in the presence of tomatoes or other acidic products ex: lemon juice....which is why those ingredients are always added at the end of the cook time. Needless to say, the soup had excellent tomato flavor, but the beans were "chewy"!!! BTW, my no knead bread was awesome - google it - easy peasy

Still sober
Old 10-02-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Weird pond! I just soak and cook them in my crockpot all day and they are cooked by the time I come home.
Well the bread was easy simply because I already had the dough made and resting in the fridge. The apple pie was easy too because the pie crust was already made and needing using up. Well the shooting, that took a bit longer.
Amish country is about an hour drive for us, more once we hit the Amish areas and we have to take caution while driving with all their buggys everywhere.
The rest all sounds a lot more work than it really is. Heck even canning and what not sounds like a lot of work but when you've done it a lot or you break down things into two days it's not so bad.
As it stands tonight I have my appt with my therapist, then gotta pick up my son and race home. Get homework done and broccoli steamed for dinner tonight (White bean, broccoli and cherry tomato salad with bread for dinner).
Next, hubby is taking son to cub scouts while I get an acorn squash and crookneck squash baked and apple pie filling made and canned.
The squash is easy. Apple pie not so much so.
All is good. But kind of tired today.
Still here, still sober. And kind of sleepy.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Had a realization recently. Alcohol has faded to me. Where alcohol consumed me and my life, now I think about it and just sort of shrug. Wow.
I never actually thought I would get to this point where I am neither here nor there about alcohol.
I still cringe visibly when offered it but most of the time I have little to no want for it.