Notices

Class Of June 2011 pt 11

Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

WTG instant on finding the right level of assertiveness. I tend to be the same way. Usually its bottle it up till I explode.

I was confronted with being offered alcohol last night in an unexpected place. I took my son to a Halloween party that he was invited to by a friend from school. I was caught off guard but opted for a soda.

It makes me worry about the future. That is the first social thing I have done in over a month. And I plan on being more social in the near future. Will I be able to hold strong?

Have a headache brewing. Am developing quite a crush on a firefighter friend of mine ... I should really get a hold of myself.

Ok. Well much love to you all. oh and update, I am now down 30 pounds in 34 days. Not too shabby. How the hell did that happen? Granted I have been eating smarter and walking my Sammy dog more but that’s insane. I like sobriety.

Safe journeys SR fans, wherever you are.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hi Brat!!!! good to hear from you! Keep that head above water!

hugs,

katie
Old 10-24-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
instant

Hey Katie. I have lost 4kg in six months through eating chocolate and ice creams!!! As classical pointed out a few months ago, stop drinking and you look younger !! I do not need my facial cream anymore (LOL). The social thing takes practice and a bit of skill development. There will always be times when we are caught off guard, and it is time to call up the inner sober ninja. In any event we all have to learn and keep learning.

Stream I am glad you are on the mend. I assume it will take a month or so? I do hope you are not beating yourself up. I am trying to work towards a "compassionate firmness" with myself, and maintain a attitude of curiosity to my thinking and feelings.

Anna. I am so glad you have posted, and want to hear from you soon. We all struggle with our level of energy for maintaining or striving to attain sobriety, especially when things are tough. Remember this is a good place to vent.

Jim
Old 10-24-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Hi Guys and Dolls

Want to hear some thing funny, if you could see the picture of me tonight or video: i go to my home meeting Monday Night and while all out side chatting etc, before the meeting starts. I am chatting to a chap, who have never seen before etc, when the person hosting the meet, comes and ask us if we could do the teas and coffees etc as the chap who makes them on a monday has gone on the missing list. Well we both nod and agree to make the brew, well only to find out he is in the chair for that evening telling his story of how he got sober. So there is me, no hot water, 40 mouths waiting and slung in at the deep end, well i was running back and 4th kettle after kettle making brews and talking orders, the sweat was running off me and got to sit down 40 mins later, with my bit of service done. Next week i will have it under control and think i was set up to be the new tea boy lol lol. Paddys brew will be the talk of AA LOL. Hope all are ok and 17 days tomorrow if i didnt have a slip in between
Old 10-24-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Just saying Hello Juners!

You're a trooper Paddy
Old 10-24-2011, 10:19 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
instant

Hey Paddy sounds like you got the call from your higher power !! WTG
Old 10-25-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

morning. lol instant. I thought to myself "hey why not take even better care of myself and put on facial cream for the first time in years?" then I broke out like a teenager! Sigh. Look younger indeed! oh well.
--- Inner Sober Ninja huh? I googled for a random nija name generator. My inner sober ninja is Yuuko Zero. I like it. I will call on Yuuko Zero.

Paddy. very funny! I can imagine you running back and forth! Hope next tea brew runs smoother for you!

day 35

hi loving it!

Hope Sleep finds you tonight Classical. I am a chronic over-thinker at bedtime. so hard to just shut it all off.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:45 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
instant

Katie I hope Yukko Zero serves you well, although you seem to need less protection these days, you sound great.

I will call my inner nija

tnatsni ninja
Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StreamWader View Post
Good Monday Juners

An event free weekend for me. Mostly sat around keeping the knee elevated and doing nothing. Getting around much better now with a cane. Have a good week!
Glad to hear that you're feeling a little better Wader!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bratnik View Post
Hi Juners -

Haven't really read any previous messages yet but I didn't want to be a complete jerk by disappearing. I had a friend visiting the prior week for my birthday and just haven't been around.

Nothing too bad is going on here. I haven't been staying completely sober - my friend came for my 40th for 5 days and I drank when she was here. So when I drink I don't post. It hasn't been daily or to excess, but it's happened.

I've also been having a rough go at it at home so I've been off the computer a lot and out of the house. I am being bombarded with a family of in-laws for thanksgiving - I'm SO DOWN about trying to get a job, huz has not been traveling and is breathing down my neck - I'm just trying to keep it together. I do so well when I'm in control of my surroundings but that's a perfect world that isn't consistent.

I hope you are all well and I'm always thinking of you. I'll be back at some point in full force. Just know I'm thinking of you and I didn't want to pull a Houdini on you. I'm staying above water.

And I'm very proud of everyone and their continuing success!

hugs to all
anna
Hey Anna - thanks for posting. Glad to hear that you're okay.

What's your plan? You've told us that alcohol is a problem in your life...what's you're plan to get back on track with your recovery?

Sorry, I have to ask. No judgement, just concern.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddyb View Post
Hi Guys and Dolls

Want to hear some thing funny, if you could see the picture of me tonight or video: i go to my home meeting Monday Night and while all out side chatting etc, before the meeting starts. I am chatting to a chap, who have never seen before etc, when the person hosting the meet, comes and ask us if we could do the teas and coffees etc as the chap who makes them on a monday has gone on the missing list. Well we both nod and agree to make the brew, well only to find out he is in the chair for that evening telling his story of how he got sober. So there is me, no hot water, 40 mouths waiting and slung in at the deep end, well i was running back and 4th kettle after kettle making brews and talking orders, the sweat was running off me and got to sit down 40 mins later, with my bit of service done. Next week i will have it under control and think i was set up to be the new tea boy lol lol. Paddys brew will be the talk of AA LOL. Hope all are ok and 17 days tomorrow if i didnt have a slip in between
Great story Paddy! The story itself and the clearly different you that tells it!

I'm so inspired by the work that you've been doing for your sobriety. Keep it up!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

I'm in a good spot right now. More than 4 months into this now and drinking seems further and further removed from my life. Cravings and AV interference are rare for me now and easily overcome.

My son plays hockey and has early Saturday and Sunday morning practices that have me up at 6 am on the weekends. These practices used to just about kill me after a night of drinking. I really enjoy the time now. I take my camera with me as the light is so lovely at that time of the morning. My son and I get to spend some quality father/son time together.

I'm really proud of myself and the work that I've done over these past 4 months. It's so empowering to be able to walk through life without that insidious secret lurking beneath the surface...waiting to be fed.

My marriage is better. My relationship with my boys is better. Work is better. My photography is better. I ran a frickin' marathon! I weigh the same now as I did in grade 12! I'm smarter. I'm funnier. I'm much more handsome and confident. I've saved a ton of money that I've turned around and spent on a new camera.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Good morning classmates!! So today I'm lucky enough to deal with day #151. This Friday will be 22 weeks without booze or nicotine in my life.

I can't tell you how many times over the years I spun my wheels, living in frustration and fear. Spending and spiraling, spending and spiraling. Burning bridges, throwing away opportunities. If you struggle, it's not in vain. Eventually it will catch. You can be free from addiction.

My lfie is far from perfect right now. As a matter of fact I've been recently reminded of that as two awesome jobs in my profession have opened up in the agency I work for. Bad news is I'm young in my road to recovery and still paying the consequences $$-wise. I'm so happy that in the next 30- days I'll be debt free (again) and can rebuild savings, but kinda bummed because these two positions are practically what I already do and the first job in Austin would be a 1,000 mthly increase --- the second in San Antonio would be $800 mthly increase.

So my plan is to focus on keeping my side of the street clean and to carry on and take care of business at home. I have faith that another position will open sometime down the road and I'll be ready and able to move.

Y'all keep up the hard work -
Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

thread is back to positive. I like it~
Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

TP - Congrats on your accomplishment and all the benefits you have reaped because of it. We should all be so fortunate.

Blackbird - When ever you post, where ever you are, what ever you do, the thread and the world becomes a more positive place. I like it too.

Leo - Double duty congrats to you on 22 weeks alcohol and smoke free. Goods things await, just over the horizon. You'll be there soon.

Paddy - Looking forward to seeing you post 20 days sober, coming up soon.

Juners - Take care, push on and stay safe & sober.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StreamWader View Post
TP - Congrats on your accomplishment and all the benefits you have reaped because of it. We should all be so fortunate.

Blackbird - When ever you post, where ever you are, what ever you do, the thread and the world becomes a more positive place. I like it too.

Leo - Double duty congrats to you on 22 weeks alcohol and smoke free. Goods things await, just over the horizon. You'll be there soon.

Paddy - Looking forward to seeing you post 20 days sober, coming up soon.

Juners - Take care, push on and stay safe & sober.

Hi Steam

Sorry my friend but cant post 20 days soon, have done 10 days and slipped and then another string of days sober. my goal for this month, is to have more sober days than drinking days in the month of Oct, and i am on track to do this and today i can add another day to that goal.Nov will try to string a full month, they say in AA 1 day at a time and getting me head around that as just taking baby steps, that will hope to turn into full strides.
Tp your post gave me a lift

To all the rest of the class, just keep dropping in and letting us know things are well x
Old 10-26-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Hey TP - no judgments assumed. Gonna take a day to ponder your post and will be back. Thanks for making me think.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Recent news story, risks of getting on/off the bottle I guess:
Alcohol killed Amy Winehouse, UK coroner rules - The Globe and Mail

Sorry if this is old news!

LTJimmie
Old 10-26-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LTJimmie View Post
Recent news story, risks of getting on/off the bottle I guess:
Alcohol killed Amy Winehouse, UK coroner rules - The Globe and Mail

Sorry if this is old news!

LTJimmie
I hadn't seen that story - thanks for posting it LTJ - very sad story and all the more impactful for me given that it was alcohol that killed her and not the "harder" drugs that everyone assumed must be involved.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bratnik View Post
Hey TP - no judgments assumed. Gonna take a day to ponder your post and will be back. Thanks for making me think.
Thank you for taking my comment/question as intended Anna. Hugs to you for not just telling me to pi$$ off!