Notices

Class Of June 2011 pt 11

Old 11-20-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Just checking in to say hello. Things are going well. Looks like I have one more week to work and than hopefully the winter off. We are having good weather but out west it is like -20C or so.

LTJimmie
Old 11-20-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
instant

Paddy keep up the good work.

Jimmie that sounds like hibernating !!
Old 11-21-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Well done Paddy!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
instant

Hi everyone.

Thinking of sobriety !!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:54 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

The Thanksgiving holiday weekend starts up on Thursday here in the States. Wednesday is the biggest bar day of year here. Everyone meets after work at the pubs to celebrate and then off to a family feast on Thursday and more drinking. Friday is the start of the Christmas shopping season and after a long day of shopping...more drinking. saturday and Sunday means football games and , drinking. I thnk I'll go sit in the woods with my bow and comptemplate who's using thier time better.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:16 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
instant

The good cheer of the holiday season can be participated in a different way- I now need to learn how to do it !!

Good luck Wade
Old 11-23-2011, 02:41 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

I need to learn how to do it too. 6 months sober is coming up fast for me but I havent really been in any testing situations at all. I had a major vivid drinking dream last night. Ive not been to a meeting in over a week and had a row with my eldest daughter this morning so not having the best of days but not thinking of drinking in a wanting to sort of way it just sneaks up sometimes like a habit I cant shake and I have to remind myself I dont do that anymore.

The pub that made me feel a little nostalgic last week made me chuckle last night, it had a sign outside that said "husband daycare centre" - its in the middle of Watford High Street so a busy shopping centre.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Have a great Thanksgiving Weekend Wade! I Think you've got quite a bit that you can be thankful for!

Pumpkin - congrats on your almost 6 months! Christmas is a tough time of year for us...be strong and be prepared. Maybe you should hit a meeting if that's where you gather strength. A big hug to you from me if that helps at all.:ghug3

I had a favourite Aunt in town last night...Met up with her for a drink in the hotel bar so that we could have a visit. There was a moment when the waiter was telling me about all the different beer that they had on tap...but that soon went away. I had a virgin Caesar and a diet coke and we had a great talk. She asked about me not drinking and I told her the truth. Her first response was so great...

"It is a wise man who watches these things."

She then told me about her ex-husband who died form drinking - liver failure - and how she worries about her own son and his drinking. It was nice to talk about it with someone other than my wife.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Jimmie - Yes, it is an exceptionally gratifying experience to have a person unconditionally accept and support your decision. I don't need or want people to justify drinking for me.("Not you! You're not a drunk" "Come on, one beer won't hurt.") It is with good reason she a favourite aunt.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

TP - My apologies. My prior post was in regards to your comments on meeting with your aunt, and quite obviously I got your name wrong. I meant no offense and apologise profusely.

On the other hand, forgetting names is the type of thing I used to do quite regularily while bingeing. And I mean with folk I had known a good long time. I'm not sure whether to be dismayed with myself or whether to find it refreshing that I am still capable of being a knucklehead stone cold sober. Theres something to give some thought.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hello classmates!! Alot of sober time is building up around here, eh? I'm not sure if it's something we all go thru around the same time frame, but the past few days have been suddenly trying and extremely stressful. I'm not much for unpleasant surprises, and I'm so incredibly thankful that I was able to recognize several things: Remember and ackowledge that there will always be things (good or bad) that I cannot control. I'm only able to worry about Leo. Drinking or getting cigarettes would do nothing but compound problems. I fell back on all the principles, tips, techniques I have patchworked together. And most importantly (maybe) is I wanted to stay sober more than I wanted to drink. This Friday is such a big deal to me - exactly 6 long months of keeping it real and feeling some of that serenity coming on at last. I wasn't surprised those thoughts reared up and that little voice chimed in. The eff it moments were met with resolve and the distance from alcohol grew just a little farther in the growth spurts.

I actually grew some. I have actually matured these past six months. I can keep a level head and fall back on things I have learned here and elsewhere. So, those are my thoughts for the day.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your upcoming 6 months Leo and PS

Happy Thanksgiving everyone in the US

D
Old 11-23-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StreamWader View Post
TP - My apologies. My prior post was in regards to your comments on meeting with your aunt, and quite obviously I got your name wrong. I meant no offense and apologise profusely.

On the other hand, forgetting names is the type of thing I used to do quite regularily while bingeing. And I mean with folk I had known a good long time. I'm not sure whether to be dismayed with myself or whether to find it refreshing that I am still capable of being a knucklehead stone cold sober. Theres something to give some thought.
Don't be so hard on yourself...I was a bit confused but certainly not offended in any way! That's the problem with all these made up nicknames - I was forever spelling Buelah's name wrong or is it Beulah?

Happy US thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:02 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
instant

Jimmie and Pumpkin well done on the impending six months. I have a confession to make, I actually cried that day. Not from happiness, or relief- it was a big mix of lots of things, but I cried.

I am now in a situation where I do not know what I will do with my recovery. I know there is a risk of slipping back, and I need to do something to keep in the loop. Last time I had six months my desire to drink at a celebration met with only a half hearted attempt not to. I had been feeling so good, had come so far and it was only going to be one night (LOL). I had other attempts subsequently but that was my best one.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:34 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just kept up what I was doing instant

at 6 months, even tho I was still fixing the wreckage, my life was far better than it had been when I was drinking - I figured why not just keep on keeping on - I just moved my focus a little from just not drinking to improving me

D
Old 11-24-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
instant

Thanks Dee. I am not planning on going anywhere, I have too much to lose going back. Despite it's tribulations life is so much better sober.

I think I might listen to some AA speaker tapes as well on my ipod
Old 11-24-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone!!

Seems that everyone is doing well, I am glad.

Congrats to everyone with big milestones coming up

Also, Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends.

I am doing okay. Progress with my leg is very slow but I can see a big difference from a month ago when I had the surgery. You know what they say- One day at a time
Old 11-25-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
instant

I am pleased you are on the mend Tuesday.

It is like the return of winter here this morning, but I am up at 6am on Saturday morning feeling good. I used to find Saturday mornings very difficult !!
Old 11-25-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Another week almost gone by (Sunday morning is my week). I'm now officially laid off, maybe for the winter. No work in these parts right now. I'm thinking would be nice to have a box of beer here beside me but I expect that isn't going to happen. Just go to bed early and read my book till I pass out. Got a new Ruger Revolver to try out tomorrow so that should be fun. Make noise and punch some holes in paper targets. I have some beavers on my woodlot and need to go persuade them to move on! Not that easy to do!

Have a good weekend people.

LTJimmie
Old 11-25-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
instant

Probably better than brown snakes Jimmie !!

I guess they might find you persuasive indeed !!