Notices

Class Of June 2011 pt 11

Old 11-27-2011, 12:33 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  
instant

Just my daily checkin guys. Remember when this thread was a hive of activity and vigorous debate !!

FYI next full moon Dec 9th
Old 11-27-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

I made it to the beaver dam. First time since early summer. There are 5 dams in a row, two on my land. Both those dams are drained as much as possible now and I'm working down stream. The new dam just east of my wood lot is fairly large and I drained it pretty well today. Made a breach in the dam about 4 feet across and 2 feet + deep. That should slow the buggers down some. For those that don't know the Beaver is Canada's national mascot. It is basically a large rat that chews down trees and makes these dams. They swim underwater and have a house in the middle of the dam. Do a lot of damage to land by flooding it and they kill a lot of trees.

I took my old dog with me. It is about a mile one way into the dams so a good workout for her. Normally she does not want to walk to the mail box that is 400 feet from the house so she had a good workout. She is laying down peacefully now!

LTJimmie

Last edited by LTJimmie; 11-27-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: error correction
Old 11-27-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
instant

Sounds like they have an interesting way of living. I assume they will either repair it or move on? Not being familiar with the critters it sounds like the plot from an old Hanna Barbara (?sp) cartoon. It is keeping you focused Jimmie, and your dog fit !!

Had a family gathering and had quite a few reminders about how I used to feel and behave in such situations. Didn't drink, and I enjoyed it.

I am staying with my wife's family for two weeks over Xmas. I have been enjoying the early summer, but it will be a test. None of them are big drinkers but we have had a few sessions over the years. It being the 'holiday season' was always an excuse whilst there, as they do not see me through the year.

Anyway I am feeling strong
Old 11-28-2011, 04:41 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

LT - Google "Tannerite beaver dams" I found that helpful with a beaver problem on my property a couple years ago.

It was tough to come to work this morning after the long 4 day weekend. A quick cup of tea and I need to throw myself into the fray. Take care all.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Good morning guys.

Paddy...I see you clicking the "Thanks" button. Give us a post and let us know how you're doing. Are you posting with the November group now?

Wade - You seem very strong these days - do you feel the same way? Sober life getting any easier for you?

Instant - you're a great support and guiding light for all of us. Thanks for all your efforts and your support.

I'm not sure how valuable it is to think about sober time and anniversaries but I did figure out that it's been 100 days since that day in August that I dipped my toe back into the waters of drinking. I'm coming up on 180 days since I first quit drinking - that to me is the more meaningful anniversary as I simply don't feel too bad about my planned relapse that night - sort of had to do it to move forward.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

TP - I continue to struggle in certain situations. Egg nogg & rum is a big family tradition (And Thanksgiving is 2 day big family event) in my family. So this past weekend was difficult. I wanted to be part of the festivities and the temptation was great. I got by on virgin nog, sparkling water and a couple long walks. The constant temptation wears on me and I am gaining a stronger perspective of our classmates that have experienced bouts of depression.
I don't count days except the one I am in. That is not to say I don't believe it can be a valuable tool to track your sobriety. I know I still get revitalized when you, Instant, Leo, Pumpkin and others discuss your milestones. At the end of the day, as I lie down for the night, I sigh with relief, even exileration, that I made it one more day. Right now thats good enough for me.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

I don't really know what Tannerite is but I just do it by hand. One stick at a time with a pick axe to move the mud etc. I just keep going back till they vacate and move on. I like to do it this time of year as the beavers are more or less screwed for rain to replenish the dam and the ground/water freezes making it hard to operate. Trapping is the best method but mine works as well.

The poor old dog is lame as hell this AM. She had trouble last night and this morning getting her back legs to cooperate. I have been feeding her a few pain killers.

LTJimmie
Old 11-28-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are human painkillers ok for dogs LTJ?

D
Old 11-28-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
Maybe they're painkillers for dogs...we have some for my dog for when his arthritis gets bad. Hope so anyway.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Administrator

lol you're probably right TP

D
Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  
instant

Wade. The general trend with my mood is one of improvement. I had some big dips along the way that seemed to be cyclical. The biggest change I have notice is that I can now be more assertive without, getting all worked up without any control and losing it. My thinking is also changing in ways that are new, the way I am involved is different.

I am hitting a patch of poor sleep. Point being biological changes are ongoing, Still have sweet cravings in the evenings.

Paddy B I agree with TP give us an update. I have been on struggle street for so long I thought I was going to die there. I now start to see a future beyond a terminal decline. I am now considering an overseas holiday !!
Old 11-29-2011, 03:34 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D

We have been giving the dog one adult sized aspirin a day with food for a year or more. We put it in a weiner mostly. The last couple days I have given her one morning and one night. The dog is much better now. This dog is a female German Shepperd cross breed maybe 50# weight. The beaver dam is basically screwed for the year. Down over two feet in level and still draining. I don't like screwing with nature like that but the f-in beaver kill off so much land and kill so many trees that you have to deal with them. These dams cover at least 10 acres in area and the land is useless for years to come. All the existing trees are dead after being flooded. Grass is starting to grow nicely so that is good. There are a few moose living in the area and they like the new grass.

LTJimmie
Old 11-29-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Hi friends. I have been happy and I have also been drinking. Shocker right? I still don't like it and I STILL don't want to do it. Its been been strictly a social thing.... until last night I brought home a bottle of wine for myself alone. Thats a big warning. Not to mention the times that I was drinking socially I made a giant ass out of myself.

I'm back. Day one. Guess I'll see you in November Paddy.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back BBF
The Nov crew are pretty special too

D
Old 11-29-2011, 11:16 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
instant

Katie good to see you back. two steps forward and one a bit back is a good average.

I know if I returned to drinking, it would not be "social" for very long. I am still trying to work out what social is, let alone social drinking (LOL).

For me sobriety is a strange new land, where everything is familiar but somehow strange
Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
instant

So just call me the awakened one.

LOL

apology's to Dee who I will now refer to as The Wise One

hence the sightly larger font
Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
instant

That was a joke, but I am now trying to do the same things differently, and to do that I have to pay attention to where I am at, and listen more
Old 11-30-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Welcome back Blackbirdfly. So very nice to see you here again and very glad to hear that you've decided to give it another try!

I'm still working my way through this thing too. It does me good to see you here.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  
instant

I think we are all works in progress TP. I know from experience how easy it is to go backwards. It can take a long time getting back on track.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:15 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Latest anti-drinking and driving court case:

Ruling against B.C. drunk driving law may affect other provinces: expert | News | National Post

"B.C’s drunk driving law, the most draconian in the country, allowed police to issue immediate roadside suspensions, impound cars and levy fines on drivers who refuse a breath test or blow a blood-alcohol level of .05 or higher.

It costs drivers a three-month suspension, roughly $5,000 in penalties, towing and stowage fees and other costs. They must also take a pricey safe-driving program and install a breathalyzer device on any motorized vehicle they operate."

This is for being under the legal limit of 0.08, and similar laws are across Canada. I guess I'm glad I'm off the booze! I am also glad I don't own a restaurant or lounge. Business must be bad. Isn't the goverment still in the business of selling booze? Guess your OK to buy it just not drink it! It seems to me the liberals are bored so they are going after the next easy target, drinking. Basically wiped out smokers, can't even smoke within sight of public building! I'm getting tired of this liberal "save the world" or protect us from ourselves thing. As far as I know two of the worse groups for drinking are cops and politicians so maybe they will all have their licences and cars gone! OOPS cops have a get out of jail free ticket as a job benefit.

I guess my rant is back off for now.

LTJimmie