Notices

Class Of June 2011 pt 11

Old 12-08-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  
instant

I am surprised at how much I have to learn to listen to my body, and listen to myslef in a different way to understand what I need to do to care for myself properly.

In the end it is like being a kid again, but I have to be the parent as well.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Pulling for you Kate. You are worth it

Blackouts contributed greatly to my life becoming unmanageable. I remember the gut wrenching feeling all to well. I am so grateful that I will never be there again.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:29 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Good afternoon all.

Katie you are doing great, just keep moving forward. If it doesnt feel like its working and you start to want a drink even though you know where it will take you it may be time to try something different. Perhaps some face to face support?

Chimp - its fab you told your Dad - those big steps take us closer to where we want to be and provide us with the extra support we need. I dont care who knows about me being an alcie anymore except for at work.

My 6 month came and went without much notice, usually I am on a high when I get another full month under my belt but I was going through a bit of a down period which has now gone away and im back off a snake and onto a ladder.

Its my work xmas party tonight, im a little apprehensive, not that I think I will drink but perhaps I might want to. It will be my first test in a long time. Not that anyone will be pushing me to drink, some are driving some will be drinking but ive still not told them the full extent of my reason for not drinking anymore. Just that it makes me ill and im not to drink by doctors orders.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. xxx
Old 12-09-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Katie...I'm reading Allen Carr's book Easy Way right now and I find it helpful as well.

The trick I find with it is that it turns your thinking on alcohol right around. We've all been brainwashed to think of alcohol as something nice and fun that most people do. Sort of a cool club that we'd all like to be a part of. Carr works on breaking down that conditioning so that you can see alcohol for what it is - a addictive poison that systematically devastates all those that use it. Once you see alcohol for what it is, it makes it sort of silly to be holding on to the hope of going back to using it moderation - who in there right mind thinks that they would like to poison themselves but just a little bit!

Anyway...it's a good read and I find it goes together well with the AVRT stuff.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  
instant

The pleasure is the early part of toxicity (brain malfuntioning) hence the term intoxicated.

I agree why glorify and romanticise poisoning yourself.

The other night I nearly ran over what are called a "drunk walker" here. The guy seemed to be stumbling home from a Xmas show, left the curb too early and nearly lost his balance, and couldn't correct. He nearly fell in front of my car.

There was a video on one of the news feeds earlier this year of a drunk guy waling home on CCTV. it is quite sickening. I have been that guy, it was too close to the bone at the time. someone has seen fit to put it too music. The link may work

Drunken man - YouTube
Old 12-09-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  
instant

I should have added, that he seemed to be lucky not to break his neck when he falls on the stairs. I do hope he ended up OK, it's no way to live.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never watch those videos - I lived it.
I'm thankful I stopped being 'that guy' before youtube got big.

D
Old 12-10-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Ya...I've been that guy too...usually not on alcohol alone...but mix in some drugs and things could go sideways in a hurry...
Old 12-10-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  
instant

Sideways is not good. I lived there too long.

Got very frustrated this morning. An itune voucher code did not work (it's the first time I have done it). This progressed into my wife getting in a huff because I ignored her (whilst internally feeling ripped off etc) trying to sort it out. It snowballed a bit.

I am so thankful that I realised it had happened, I was very restless inside. It eased of after a bike ride and getting sweaty. Overall I may have learned something.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:16 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  
instant

Watched the moon rise from a boat last night, amazing view across the jetty and lights.

The full moon always reminds me of my journey, the phases reminds me that things ebb and flow.

hit a rough patch today, worked all day and still felt behind and unappreciated
Old 12-12-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  
instant

sobriety rocks !
Old 12-12-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, just checking in. Not too hard to keep up with the posts of late. Reading a good book. It is called A rifleman went to war. The author is an American that joined the Canadians in WW1. When he heard about the war he was deep in the bush building the railroads in British Columbia, Canada. He walked like 55 miles in one day to get to a telex machine and rushed to join up in the war effort. He more or less became one of the first Canadian snipers. Interesting how things were than and how they are today. People than had a whole different set of values than most people have today.

LTJimmie
Old 12-12-2011, 11:20 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
instant

Jimmie it is a bit slow around here lately and I suppose it is the way it will stay. I come every day to check in as I am doing well and do not want to change anything that got me here. I check in with the general newcomers threads and also the Today's gratitude which has also helped enormously.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Hello all

Gearing up for Christmas here. Kids are getting excited. Trying to stay strong and out of harms way. A lot of harm to dodge out there right now. Hope everyone else is doing well also.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Good Morning and Merry Christmas all!

December 13th! I quit drinking on June 13th - 6 months!

I've got my sights set on another Marathon - either in Toronto in the beginning of May or in Ottawa at the end of May. I'd have to start my training in January if I'm going to be ready!

I'm feeling strong going into Christmas. I'm actually looking forward to being sober throughout. I'm also looking forward to vacations where I wake up each day with no hangover and am able to do all the things that I think I should be doing on a vacation!

Wade - good to see you posting and working diligently on your sobriety.

Instant - glad to see you hear.

LT Jimmie - how's your dog doing?

Pumpkinsoup - Glad to see you posting. Please keep us in the loop...does me good to hear about your continuing success and the work you're doing on yourself.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  
instant

Hey Guys. I went out last night with some senior work colleagues for a meal. Had a good night. I think between 7 there was one bottle of wine consumed (LOL). It was so nice to relax and enjoy the company, free of cravings and paying too much attention to the niceties of drinking. This time a year ago I would have left early and gone home to drink.
I feel free, and have a sense of new opportunities for me.

Like you TP I am now going into my holiday with a sense of anticipation for the right reasons. I never thought I would experience things like this again.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Hi Class!! It's nice to see y'all here. I don't have alot to say other than I'm checking in to say hi and congrats to you guys on progress! Today is #200 for me without any booze and ciggies so that's a pretty nice feeling.

If there is anyone out there struggling to get over that hump - don't give up please! In the beginning it can feel like time stands still but at the same time jumping out of our own skins. It passes - promise. I will continue to be aware and vigilant ~~ guarding my sober time.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations TP and Leo!

D
Old 12-13-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone. Glad to see that everyone posting as of late sounds strong.

I am to the point now where I am looking forward to the Christmas season. Last Christmas (and I hate to admit it) I got blazing drunk in the morning to stave off the hangover from the Christmas Eve festivities and missed the WHOLE day. I passed out. Missed everything. That will NEVER happen again. I feel very strong. I have changed so much in these last 6 months. I have dropped 45lbs. I am looking forward and planning my future instead of dreading it. Feels good.

Love to all.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:58 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  
instant

Tuesday that is great news, to be lighter in body and spirit !!!

I have lost track of my days but I am 7 calendar months tomorrow. I am pleased but I now have more energy for work, getting more done and at the same time I am more relaxed.