Notices

Class of June 2011 Part 8

Old 08-23-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

i did not! freaky. Hope there are no injuries!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

I just heard about the earthquake! We had one here in Colorado on the southern end yesterday. Not as bad I think 4.8. What is going on here?!!! Anyone here on the east coast? I have family in DC.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

I am on the East Coast but further North. I have read that it was felt in Ontario as well. I am surprised that it missed here- but grateful. Hope everyone is okay. I also read on CNN that parts of Manhattan were being evacuated and that the Pentagon was evacuated. Prayers to all.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

5.9 magnitude earthquake near D.C. felt along East Coast – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs
Old 08-23-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hope every 1 ok
A magnitude 5.9 earthquake has struck the east coast of the United States.

The quake was felt in Washington, where the Pentagon and US Capitol Building were evacuated, as well as in New York.

There were no immediate reports of any major damage or injuries.

The quake hit at 1351 local time (1751 GMT) at a depth of 3.7 miles (6km), the US Geological Survey said. The tremor was centred some 9 miles from the town of Mineral, in the state of Virginia, it said.

An initial measurement of 5.8 was later upgraded.

The BBC's Jonny Dymond in Washington said the city's streets filled with evacuated workers minutes after the earthquake hit. He said at street level the quake felt like an underground train passing close.

Television monitors and lights swayed for about 30 seconds, he said, and the mobile phone network temporarily crashed.

Our correspondent said the earthquake was felt as far north as Boston and to the Carolinas in the south.

Last edited by Dee74; 08-23-2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: edited BBC contact details
Old 08-23-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

My husband is in NYC and I spoke with him - all is fine there. I just spoke to my sister in law in DC - she said they felt it but things seem to be ok. She did get evacuated and sent home though. I guess they thought it was a bomb at the Pentagon.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Awful headaches please go away, I do not want to play today.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Squishy!
Old 08-23-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Squish - if you keep banging your head against that brick wall like that, it is going to keep hurting....

No seriously - hugs to you. What can you do for them?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bratnik View Post
Squish - if you keep banging your head against that brick wall like that, it is going to keep hurting....
lol Bratnik- I for one am guilty of that!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
instant

Morning everyone. The earth is definitely rearranging itself lately.

Spring is defiantly in the air. The days are noticeably longer.

congratulations to everyone on the big numbers. The zero days do give me a lift, another milestone.

Wsihing you sober and healthy times
Old 08-23-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

yes! If spring is in the air for you, then fall is in the air for us! Love it.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

A brilliant day. It was hard but has ended brilliantly. There is nothing better than sober conversation!

Thanks to you all!

Chimp!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Good day and good night everyone - a long day, but looks like every one was busy posting today.

Congrats to every one getting through another day, and those with "landmarks".

I emailed my brother just outside of Richmond, Virginia, and he said his wife was in the house, and the whole house shook and they have a spoon rack and those were all moving. She ran outside to tell him, and he was weed whacking and because there is so much vibration from them, he didn't feel a thing, turned it off, and said "you are full of sh*t". :rotfxko Can you believe it? I can just picture him weed whacking, happy as can be, singing his old '70's Led Zeppelin songs in his head, in the mean time his wife is stopping spoons from flying through the house, and he doesn't feel a thing. But, sounds like every one is okay....that's a blessing.

Sleep well every one - hugs and sober dreams!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

I was in bed the last earthquake we had here. It was Saturday morning, 8.20. I lay there and all of a sudden my bedroom violently shook. At first I thought it was the young boys bouncing in the flat above but then I hear a car alarm and instantly I recalled my Geography lessons at school; car alarms always seemed to be sounding in the videos we watched.

I was the first member of the public to report it to the British Geological Survey!

I couldn't believe it because experiencing an earthquake was something I wished to do (apologies if that offends anyone) and I had spent ages trawling through the Geological Survey's website years before and I knew exactly where to go once it happened. It was a surreal, very surreal moment. I hope all are ok over the pond!

It is 3.18 in the morning here and I am awake. I can't sleep. Two reasons I think. One is the exhibition coming up at the weekend and two, is that my gf and I got chatting about her ex. He was a complete arse to her and she just seems to have took it. Sleeping with his ex, chatting girls up, saying ridiculous things in public. It annoys me because he is such a *****! But hey, such is life!

I just want to get all the controlling bullies out there and smash there heads together and tell them to all move into a house together and every day to give each other cuddles, and call each other mummy because that is what they are all missing in their lives, their mummie's love! Needy little life controlling jerks!

Of course we are all capable of that but I tell you something great about us and someone mentioned the word 'forsight' earlier. The great thing about us is that we are aware we have choices in life. Every moment we have the ability to choose the next step. Choose how we relate to people. Reputation lives forever, live life on our terms, yet whilst being respectful and decent to others but on our terms because we are all good people!

Chimp!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Classical,

I was a 2-3 bottle of red a night man and once or twice a week I would add 8 beers to that (each night). Bloody hell, it reads, sounds, looks awful!

It is nearly 4 here in the morning and I am still up. I think I'll be putting myself to bed soon. Normally I awake in an hours time!

Right, I am going to play with some website design. How odd, I simply don't seem to want to go to bed? Why?

Chimp!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Hey Paddy are you online too? I see your name at the bottom. Are you ok?

Chimp!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

I taught my youngest boy to ride his bike tonight for the very first time.

You should have seen the look on his face when it finally clicked for him - freedom, amazement and fierce pride! He was so happy!

When I tucked him into bed tonight he gave me a big hug and thanked me for teaching him how to do it.

Nice.

Good night everyone.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Administrator

great post Tip - thanks

D
Old 08-23-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Hey Paddy are you online too? I see your name at the bottom. Are you ok?

Chimp!
Hi Chimp, yeah i am up in the wee hours, thinking what i have to do to beat this!