Notices

Class of June 2011 Part 8

Old 08-22-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Squishyboots View Post
7 hours that's what I thought. I couldn't remember I was over there in '93 but didn't remember the time difference.

Well over here in the U.S. of course they make everything as big as possible, so that's one of the small sizes, but still way too much for a person or even two people to drink. How stupid and what a waste of time, life and money.
they say here from the medical point that me should drink 21 units a week and women 14 units, going on a 750ml of spirits at 40% = 30 units, so do the sums, i was drinking over 120 units a week, and that was a good week
Old 08-22-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

120units a week was my average too Paddy.. Wow... only supposed to of had 14 units? Yikes- there is some hardcore proof if I needed any more
Old 08-22-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I only drank the hard stuff, couldn't be bothered with anything below 40 percent. Well, I had wine "socially" lol..wow
Old 08-22-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

You know what's sad - is I used to hate alcohol! I would go weeks even months without ever wanting a drop. But once I quit, coke, cigs, and everything I think I automatically looked for something to take its place. Well - now its time for something healthy to finally take its place and I will take my place among those that are the "non-drinkers" at the dinner table. :-) If I thought that just doing 14 units a week was possible I wouldn't be here...
Old 08-22-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Tues you and me both - why bother with the little stuff - I had to get the worst stuff you could possibly drink. Might as well be moonshine! My body hates me...
Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

i was doing my weekly amount in 1 day if i done lower than 15 units in 1 day i would give my self a pat on the back, how f..k up is that
Old 08-22-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Paddy - I think we can all completely understand! And yes it is totally f%^&@ up! I'm glad you are here now.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Tues you and me both - why bother with the little stuff -
Ha! not me. I told myself that I can't handle liqour. "I get too carried away." Turns out I get too carried away with beer and wine too! And drank a lot a lot to get the buzz i was looking for. shoot. not buzz - get the level of wasted I wanted. A bottle of wine plus several beers. no good.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

sorry do i seem to bring up some peoples evils passed, it just i need to vent about my drinking, and sorry if demons have come out, very early stages for me once again
Old 08-22-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

UGH BB you just made my stomach turn. yuck!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Its ok Paddy - we need to face them and face them sober. Its the only way to get through the right door - we can't climb under it....
Old 08-22-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Squishyboots;3080040]Its ok Paddy - we need to face them and face them sober. Its the only way to get through the right door -

we can't climb under it, like it, i hide away when drinking
Old 08-22-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

It's ok Paddy. We need to face these things eventually. I was just posting on another thread about how we can spend so much on alcohol yet deny ourselves things like healthy food and vitamins because it it "too expensive" I calculated that I spent roughly 6300 dollars a year on alcohol for about 10 years...geez, what a wake up call.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuesday24 View Post
It's ok Paddy. We need to face these things eventually. I was just posting on another thread about how we can spend so much on alcohol yet deny ourselves things like healthy food and vitamins because it it "too expensive" I calculated that I spent roughly 6300 dollars a year on alcohol for about 10 years...geez, what a wake up call.
63k thats half my house is worth, and there is me spending £6.00 a day and £20.00 on a weekend, hold tight , £60.00 + a week is £2500+ a year jesus christ what a waste to kill 1 self slowly
Old 08-22-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Just read the most recent posts with interest - I never knew what the 1/5 or similar type amounteed to in UK terms. I would keep changing my drinks around but in the end I either drank mostly wine or vodka. I know I have had the equivalent of over a 750ml bottle of V in a day as I used to get the litre bottles and sometimes there was very little left If I was trying to be "good" or moderate I would only get 2 bottles of wine in - they would not be enough for me and sometimes I would get a 3rd bottle or be miserable if the shops had shut. At the weekends I would get in a box of wine (3 litres) a litre of vokda and some beer and/or cider for variation. Uggg.

I would see no point whatsoever in me having just one glass of wine. One bottle of wine would just wind me up.

Im glad to have read these posts to remind me of how sick I was and how absolutely incredible it is that my liver is not damaged!

No wonder its taking me some time to get my energy back and my mind is still much slower than it should be. I feel a bit more accepting of my current situation now. Its going to take a LONG time to get everything back to how it should be if that is even possible. Im happier now ive remembered how much of that c**p I was pouring down my throat - I ought to be happy to be alive let alone wanting to be energetic and sharp minded!

Back to basics - one day at a time - baby steps. Its been over 4 years since I really started trying to stop drinking and ive only made 11 weeks so far. Before that I only once made it over 2 weeks and a couple of times to 12 days. I believe that I was "ready" this time but I cannot explain why or how I got to that. I certainly felt that I was ready during many of my other attempts. I think its more about the action you take when you feel ready.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Soup View Post
Just read the most recent posts with interest - I never knew what the 1/5 or similar type amounteed to in UK terms. I would keep changing my drinks around but in the end I either drank mostly wine or vodka. I know I have had the equivalent of over a 750ml bottle of V in a day as I used to get the litre bottles and sometimes there was very little left If I was trying to be "good" or moderate I would only get 2 bottles of wine in - they would not be enough for me and sometimes I would get a 3rd bottle or be miserable if the shops had shut. At the weekends I would get in a box of wine (3 litres) a litre of vokda and some beer and/or cider for variation. Uggg.

I would see no point whatsoever in me having just one glass of wine. One bottle of wine would just wind me up.

Im glad to have read these posts to remind me of how sick I was and how absolutely incredible it is that my liver is not damaged!

No wonder its taking me some time to get my energy back and my mind is still much slower than it should be. I feel a bit more accepting of my current situation now. Its going to take a LONG time to get everything back to how it should be if that is even possible. Im happier now ive remembered how much of that c**p I was pouring down my throat - I ought to be happy to be alive let alone wanting to be energetic and sharp minded!

Back to basics - one day at a time - baby steps. Its been over 4 years since I really started trying to stop drinking and ive only made 11 weeks so far. Before that I only once made it over 2 weeks and a couple of times to 12 days. I believe that I was "ready" this time but I cannot explain why or how I got to that. I certainly felt that I was ready during many of my other attempts. I think its more about the action you take when you feel ready.
you lucky cow, you have 90 days coming up, so wish that, that will be a major stepping stone, you rock
Old 08-22-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Mooooo haha.

Not quite at 80 days yet but 90 days is in sight yeah. Not sure why that is seen as such a milestone by some - maybe its to do with the 90 meetings in 90 days some AAers do? For me its nice to have another week under my belt each Sunday, and the 5th of every month when I can say the next month has gone by. Days that end in a zero are good ones though - think 80 will be Wednesday A really big and important milestone for me will be 6 months. I remember my doctor asking me if I could stop drinking for 6 months years ago and me thinking that was ridiculous how on earth could I not drink for 6 months!

Paddy you will get there eventually - maybe in about 90 days eh - just keep trying. Take some action. Did you get to any more meetings other than the one where the room was shut and you chatted in the car park?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I'm going to tap away on my iPhone until I can tap no more. I am going to do my best to be honest.

Beulah, your post was amazing. It reminded me how hard this is. Sobriety is bloody hard work. All of a sudden you are confronted with yourself and having to live each and every moment with nowhere to escape. It is so difficult sometimes. I have really felt it the last few days. So insecure, so bored. But no, I am not bored at all. I am just being me. And the insecurity comes from my worries that my girlfriend is angry with me, fed up of my company. It boils down to being comfortable being me, that simple.

Am I comfortable being me? Can I be me, without alcohol? It is a he ask. Life is full of so many assumptions, hidden fears and anxieties. I worry about so much but now I have to recognise that it is a whole loads of rubbish and I just have to be me and back myself.

Great posts this evening! They have really helped!

Chimp!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Love, Light & Peace

Originally Posted by WiggleIn View Post
Anyone know of something to help my poor muscles? I am supposed to "work through the pain"!!! NOT looking forward to it!
Wiggle -- I suggest yoga. I am going to get on my soapbox for a minute: YOGA! If you alternate yoga days (it's mostly stretching, to be honest with you) with workout days, you'll feel much better. There are some great intro yoga dvds to be had (I recommend Suzanne Deason.)
Old 08-22-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Love, Light & Peace

I come back from dinner and there's like two more pages of posts! I can't keep up!!!

I keep feeling like it isn't necessarily how much I drink (during my heaviest drinking times I probably only averaged about 35 units a week) but what happens to me when I drink.

Being utterly convinced I am stone cold sober, even when all evidence points otherwise...
Continuing to drink even when I am already beyond wasted (see above!)...
Doing things I will later regret...
Not remembering having done things that I will later regret...
Being so incapacitated that my husband once stayed up all night to keep watch over me, just to make sure I was still breathing...

I could always go a few days without drinking, or a few weeks only having a glass of wine with dinner here and there. But when the flood gates opened...all that successful management of my alcohol intake got washed away.

The blackouts, the guilt, being a burden to my loved ones...I'm just not interested in it any more.

To a certain extent, and this is going to sound totally bitchy to those who've had to overcome a daily physical dependency on alcohol, I wish I weren't so occasionally responsible with drinking. As it is, coming to terms with being altogether unaccountable -- each drink I have might be the one that sets me on the path to being blacked out on the floor of the bathroom -- is the current struggle.