Notices

Class of June 2011 Part 8

Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Just you and me Bratnik - how funny, I was thinking the same thing. I'm calling it a night. Hubby and I just chowed down on some German Chocolate cake and a scoop of vanilla ice cream....ugh.....sinfully good.

Sober dreams!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Big storm here in Toronto...took this just moments ago from our front steps....

If there wasn't a tornado warning I think I'd be out and about looking to take some pictures. My wife won't let me though.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Administrator

great pic!
but yeah...stay indoors TP

D
Old 08-24-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Beautiful. Tipping point... oh how I want a good thunderstorm. We have been dry here for months it seems. Smart wife! Can't lose ya!

Dee- oh I know. I feel pretty guilty about posting about it. And felt like I had to put the original context in here to be fair. I was just pissed in general and flinging angry vibes this way and that. It was just tough love. But I had been drinking. Dont post drunk peeps! Better yet. Don't be drunk!

Dear Pumpkin~ Thanks for sharing that. You are so wonderful.

Bualah. you are wonderful too! Funny through all of the hurt of this I forget what a jerk he was to me on a daily basis and how I was just itching for that last and final straw. It appears I got my wish. I can't wait to buy a s*it hole of my very own. Amazing. No wonder you are so strong to have lived through all that.

And brat I hope i dream something crazy tonight so i can post it for you. I keep thinking of your analysis. It makes so much sense!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Administrator

If only posting whilst under the influence was the worst thing I ever did BBF...
'scool

D
Old 08-24-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

awe you made me lol.

teehee!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

BBird- good to see you back friend
TP- great pic. I was talking to a friend outside TO tonight and she was getting pelted with rain... it was half way up her basement window!! Listen to your wife!
Wonderful video of your little one.. brought tears to my eyes.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!

Can't believe I'm still up. When I first quit drinking I would go to bed by about 9:00pm just so I could get the day over with and move onto the next one. Lately though, I'm staying up till midnight every night...very unusual for me. Even when I was drinking I would be in bed earlier than this.

It's kind of fun...watching Breaking Bad on my computer while typing this.

I've seen a few other night owls around the forum these days so maybe it is normal?

G'Night everyone!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Its easier to stay up late when I'm sober. How's the storm? passed yet? and how the heck does one get a perfect image of lightening? Super fast shutter speed? blind luck?

I love photography. I even won the Young Iowan Artist award in photography in high school. It stemmed from a final project where there could either be a written exam or a pictorial exam. I was one of the last to sign up and was surprised to see that the ENTIRE class had signed up for the written exam. (groupthink much?) I chose pictorial... was an effing art class after all.
Instructor's motto was "I say art you say Idea"
I took construction paper. chopped it into pieces with blunt scissors. Rearranged and glued them into a composition on paper. Had my teacher make a transparency, then stuck the transparency on top of photo paper and voila! My teacher (Best teacher ever) called me the lee Krasner of photography.

Of course I had no idea who she was.... Jackson Pollock's wife. For those who do not know Jackson Pollock was an iconic American painter in the 1950s/ he died in an alcohol related car accident, and was an alcoholic. So many lives touched by alcoholism, even those of my childhood heroes.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:58 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

BB, there is some fantastic stuff by Jackson Pollock just up the road from me in the Tate Modern, London.

Museums, I love museums. There is so much to experience now we are free, a world to embrace. Whilst I was reading the wonderful posts from yesterday, I wondered what have I done that I would not have done if I had still been drinking. What has being sober given me? What memories has sobriety created for me and others?

I don't know the specific answer but generally, it is lots.

Like last night, my gf, her little man and myself went to watch the mighty West Ham United play Aldershot Town at football. Now, a very real David and Goliath affair and of course David won, which was Aldershot not West Ham. These guys get thousands and their heart, where is their heart!!! Anyway, it was a great experience, as always. Great to feel the emotions of live sport and like you Stream, I was completley sober!!!

Right, I have a huge five days ahead of me. Saturday to Monday I have a table at military fair, the largest multi-period in the world and I have so much to get done! I am getting there but so much to do between now and then and boy am I nervous, very nervous! This is all a dream but most dreams are not hard work!

Chimp!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:58 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  
instant

Ok . I have a skip bin coming for my yard clean up. If things go according to plan I will be shovelling and a bit more painting. With rain interfering with progress for a month I do feel like we bit off more than we could chew. If I chew like mad for two solid days I will have "got somewhere".

Have a good night all- sweet dreams
Old 08-25-2011, 03:49 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Hi there
Just had a quick peruse and see that most seem to be doing well. 62 days for me today an it keeps getting better.

THE PROMISES
If we are painstaking about this phase of our development,
We will be amazed before we are halfway through.
We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.
We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.
No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see our experience can benefit others.
That feeling of uselessness and self pity will disappear.
We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows
Self-seeking will slip away.
Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.
Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.
We will intuitively know how to handle situations which use to baffle us.
We will suddenly realise that Love is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves
Are these extravagant promises?
We think not.
They are being fulfilled among us
Sometimes quickly,sometimes slowly.
They will always materialise if we work for them.

The promises are working for me. Sobriety is so good.

Take Care all, and may you all find peace and serenity
Old 08-25-2011, 03:57 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Thanks Raquell, I love the promises - I like it when I get to read them out at the end of the meetings
Old 08-25-2011, 04:20 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
Its easier to stay up late when I'm sober. How's the storm? passed yet? and how the heck does one get a perfect image of lightening? Super fast shutter speed? blind luck?

I love photography. I even won the Young Iowan Artist award in photography in high school. It stemmed from a final project where there could either be a written exam or a pictorial exam. I was one of the last to sign up and was surprised to see that the ENTIRE class had signed up for the written exam. (groupthink much?) I chose pictorial... was an effing art class after all.
Instructor's motto was "I say art you say Idea"
I took construction paper. chopped it into pieces with blunt scissors. Rearranged and glued them into a composition on paper. Had my teacher make a transparency, then stuck the transparency on top of photo paper and voila! My teacher (Best teacher ever) called me the lee Krasner of photography.

Of course I had no idea who she was.... Jackson Pollock's wife. For those who do not know Jackson Pollock was an iconic American painter in the 1950s/ he died in an alcohol related car accident, and was an alcoholic. So many lives touched by alcoholism, even those of my childhood heroes.
Ah...that's a great story.

Lightning is easy to shoot. Slow shutter speed. I think I was at F13...small aperture with about a 15 second exposure. Press the shutter and any lightning that happens in that 15 second period shows up on the display. In the shot above those bolts of lightning didn't happen all at once...It was likely 3 different strikes. You'd do the same thing with fireworks.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:31 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

TP - great picture - funny you posted that. Last night when hubby and I were coming home, we could see all the lightening activity to the south. About 8:45 p.m. We were just on the edge of it, so it wasn't affecting us. But, what a show it made. I told him, for someone with a really good camera that can capture a lightening shot, what a great opportunity (and there you were!). We had the warning blow threw here about 5:30...we were sitting in the garage watching it blow through. I'm like you, can't get close enough to it - pretty fascinating. And in regards to the night owl...I have become one more than in the past. I'd go to bed earlier, sleep worse, and get up earlier. Now I just enjoy the peace and quiet night time has to offer. Great time to get caught up on emails, and work, too.

Raquell - wonderful post - enjoyed that a lot!

Hope every one has a good day today.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:33 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Dee - just because I forget some times - but thank you for being part of our group and our Moderator. You have some very insightful words for all of us and keep us in line. You are our "forefather" of sobriety.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

I had Dee remove the link to the video of my boy riding his bike.

If anyone would like to see it just send me a note and I will send you the link.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Good Morning!

Raquell - I'm glad you checked in and thank you for posting the inspirational message. This is something I'm going to print out. I'm so glad to hear you are doing well.

Guys, it's thundering and lightning right now. COuld it be RAIN??? Mother Nature, please don't tease me!!

The real noticeable effects of not drinking are coming back after a couple of weeks of working for them. It's like watching a flower bloom in time-elapsed photography. I was tired at 9 pm and asleep by 10. I slept well. I woke up at 6 am and brought a cup of coffee back to bed. I'm listening to the thunder and frogs outside of my window and loving the sounds of the frogs. I only know this feeling from being sober for the 6 weeks previously. I feel like I've been reaching so hard for that rope and i finally grabbed it. I wouldn't change it for anything, right in this moment!

Squishy and Blackbird and Wiggle - Don't let those guys bring you down!!! You have your army behind you here!

TP -what a kick-a** picture! My husband has a camera with all the bells and whistles - I'm sure can do that stuff. I might just dig it out and start asking you some questions. The other day I saw a dragon fly on the bush (I just LOVE them) - I thought of you how you would have been able to capture that picture - he had such buggy eyes!

Instant - I hope you get your yardwork finished in time. We could really take some of that rain off your hands!! Send it on over!

CHIMP!!! you are almost at the finish line!

HEre's to a great day everyone! And hope you guys are having one across the globe!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

One more thing about shooting lightning....

With any long exposure - 1 second or longer - your camera needs to be on a tripod.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Dee, I second Beulah's comments. Thank you.

Raquell, lovely post this morning. Reading it I felt the power of AA and recovery. The power of those obtaining freedoms and living free.

I am working hard, my gf's three boys are here watching music on tv. She has two older boys in their mid and late teens. A year ago I could not have imagined this! What larks!

My gf is at a spa day with her friend and by her text reports, is having a wonderful time. I bought it for her at Christmas, at the start of our relationship. Back then, we had a long way to go to reach this point but we believed in ourselves and went for it - I said I wanted a home full of love and laughter and well, today we have it (until the boys start fighting!) We will always have it!

Why? Because the greatest gift I was given by, I have no idea whom, but the greatest gift I was ever given, was the knowledge that through our daily actions, minute by minute, second by second, we have a massive imapct on others. So, our words and our deeds matter!

I came on here with one idea, that I wish I could get hold of that young man about 6 years back and tell him to believe in himself, to pursue his dreams! I feel so sorry for him. What a beautiful man he was, so messed up but trying, trying hard and always doing his best to please others.

And soon he will be 30 and he will be sober!

Chimp!