Notices

Class of June 2011 Part 8

Old 08-30-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 501 (permalink)  

Oh Beuls - everyone here WISHES they could see me in a leather skirt and a tube top.

:rotfxko

Classical, I admit it, I ran to see a pic of you. You look so scholarly - I only know you as "classical" and it was fun to see. Thanks for sharing that, it's a big step, no? The step you took got me through the rest of the day. It could have been a hard one, but I'm here fighting.

I think I must go now and buy a big bag of gummi bears. Times like these, I miss NYC. I could have run downstairs to my bodega and had them in 5 minutes. Now...get in the car, drive to CVS...oh the banality of it all.

xo
Old 08-30-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 502 (permalink)  

Classical - maybe we want to see you in leather pants and a tube top...well, then again, maybe not. You're like a brother. But, yes, a fun-loving gay Classical picture would be cool, too. It's nice to put a face with the name though. I agree with Bratnik, it is a big step - makes things more personal and more like a big family. Wow, what a wild family.

Ha, ha, ha....Bratnik - we have to drive 2-1/2 miles to our local small town and we're lucky if when we get there the expiration on the gummi bears isn't from 2 years ago. But, you can get gas, a shotgun, and ammo.....life is good. Now if only I could find that woodchuck that is digging a hole under my kitchen bay window.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 503 (permalink)  

Leather pants and a tube top made me laugh!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 504 (permalink)  

TP - trust, it would be much more funny if it actually was a reality!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 505 (permalink)  

Classical, brilliant, absolutely brilliant!

I have added your blog to my favourites.

What a great world!

Chimp!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 506 (permalink)  

Evening all.

Lots and lots going on. Ive been busy today so not had a chance until now to post.

It was a real shock last night when I read that you had had a drink Chimp. I woke up and thought about you and wondered how you felt when you first woke up. Then I thought about how I would feel if it was me and I was very grateful it wasnt. I hoped you were ok but first and foremost I was grateful to have got through another day sober.

Im sorry if that sounds selfish but one of the things about staying sober is that you do have to be selfish to a point - your sobriety has to come before everything else and you have do to it for you because you want to not because you ought to or you have been told you have to. You have to wipe out any kind of people pleasing such as allowing friends to bring drink into your house if you arent comfortable with it or allowing someone close to you not take your sobriety seriously enough to give you a look that invites you to take a drink with them when they probably know you are having a weak moment.

I think one of the main reasons I have not had a relapse this time is because I am on my own. My daughters are the only constant in my life and they would never want me to drink knowing what it does to me.

It doesnt matter if you say you are never going to drink again and then find that you have caved in to a drink what does matter is that you keep trying to stop drinking. It doesnt matter how many times you have relapsed as long as you mean it when you say it wont happen again. Even if it does happen again you can get over it, sometimes it takes us many many times (like it did with me),but you do really have to mean it and you have to take some action to prepare for when the next relapse is looming.

The above comments are not made towards anyone in particular its just generalisations from bits and bobs that come to mind from things some of you have said in the posts.

Do whatever works for you to help you stop. For me saying I wont drink for a year would proably be dangerous and may set me up for one heck of a bender on 5th June 2012. In reality if I put any date on it I wouldnt get that far ive tried it before and it would lead me to caving sooner as I would know it was going to happen eventually. All I can do is say that I know drink is no good for me anymore, it is my enemy and it will ruin my life if I take it again. It is my intention to never drink again but I can only do this one day at a time.

As Buelah said many of you in this thread have only just decided for the first time this summer that you want to address your drinking issues. Some of you will suceed quickly some of you will take longer, some may never achieve a life of sobriety. The main thing is to keep trying and make a bloody good effort to do something about it and change things so the same things dont happen over and over again. Its taken me 4 years to get this far. I havent been trying hard for 4 years I stopped and started and have been in and out of denial. I hope none of you have to go through years of hell with this battle. I didnt find this website until November last year and I think this has helped me enourmously - but it still took me until June to be able to get more than 2 weeks sober.

Nobody should think they are not worthy to be here if they have had a drink. THAT IS WHAT THIS WEBSITE IS FOR. Thats what we are all herefor. To help ourselves and each other. Sometimes we may need to say things someone may not like to try and help them to stop. We may need to be a little harsh. Its not because we dont care for you we are just trying to help.

Phew ive lost my steam now - I hope some of the above is a bit useful for some of you.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 507 (permalink)  

Bravo Pumpkin! Superb!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 508 (permalink)  
instant

Thanks Debbie, I share your sentiments. I have struggled for years and wavered wildly in my commitment and my results reflect that. I have been on a roll since I came here and for that I am extremely grateful. Sobriety is precious.

For what ever reason I feel a deep sadness about it all. It's not the one off drinking and the consequences, or slips. I think it is our human frailty.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 509 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't believe you guys wrote 50 posts while I was asleep

part 9 of this thread is here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-9-a.html

D