Notices

November 2009 Group Pt 2

Old 02-23-2010, 05:51 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Tytan -- Somehow I can't visualize someone whose screen name is Tytan "blush"!! I have a couple of stateside cousins (my dad's side) spread out across country. One of them is really into the Swedish thing. He's visited a couple of times, practices the language whenever he can, etc. The other, not so much. The "practicing" Swede was (maybe thrilled wasn't the word) but he enjoyed speaking Swedish at my dad's funeral service several years ago with some old Swedes.

You are right, of course. I need to visit and at least try to look up some relatives. My mom was the youngest of 10 siblings. Most are probably dead, but most probably have kids that are alive or their kids had kids that are alive. My dad only had 1 brother and he immigrated to the US, hence the stateside cousins.

And why on earth do you vacation in the winter? Our next vacation is in May to New Orleans for a week. We belong to a kind of flexible time share called World Mark by Wyndham. Don't know if you've heard of it. Google it. When you return to the states, it's a great program to get into to see the states.

To everyone else engrossed in the Olympics, have fun. I'm not a sports fan at all, so I find other diversions. But if US or Sweden wins big, please post it! Just for bragging rights, you know? Everyone take care. Please.......
Old 02-24-2010, 12:22 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Day 104!?!
Why do I only vacation in the winter? I have no idea… it’s just how it seems to work out that way. My old job, prior to federal service, I managed a concert and event venue… so summer time was crazy busy. I almost never took time off in the summer. Winter time, after Christmas (because we still had a lot of events around Christmas) until February was a time I could take longer vacations without people getting on my case… so I guess we’re in the habit… The year the feds offered me the job, my start date was in the middle of summer… so again… no summer vacation. We seriously need to break this habit.
Right now, I’ve used all of my time off for the paternity leave exact for 40 hours I’ve managed to hang onto for a rainy day. I think we’re going to try and swing a summer time vacation. Plus, I’ll have one month off in August between my postings in Belgrade and Pakistan… so that is going to be awesome!
How are the Olympics everyone! This looks like it will be only the second time in history the US had led the medal count! WooT!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Not much to post today. More rain today and more expected this week. I'm past caring until April 15. :-( Although it would be nice to take a break on a clear Saturday or Sunday sometime soon.

Mirage and Spryte: How are you guys doing? and what have you been up to? Let's hear something exciting!!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:06 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Day 105.

What's up everyone? It's a lazy Thursday for us here... just bumming around.

-Tytan
Old 02-25-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

I'm still cranking out tax returns. Woo Hoo! I start the season enthused but after a few weeks of it, it gets tiresome, but it's really my only opportunity during the year to make any real money. So I press on. And my clients are really nice and it's nice to sit and chat with most of them and catch up with their year, etc. Almost the end of February! That means barely 1 1/2 months left.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:52 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Day 106.
Wow, Asta… I do envy you’re season job. Plus I’m a numbers person… so for some sick reason I enjoy doing my taxes. Post college, I would help my friends file their taxes… never knew where to start and being poor, no one liked the idea of spending money on paying taxes (still a bizarre concept)… so I used to get them organized for tax season and then sit down with them to file. I always enjoyed it… yet for some reason, professionally, I never went down that route.
My brother-in-law used to work for the IRS in one of those data entry positions… and I got really angry when I found something out about the system. When you e-file… your return doesn’t connect to the IRS computer system and automatically embed itself. Nope, when you e-file it’s put into a printer cue at one of the seasonal data entry locations… printed… and then reentered into the IRS system manually. Can you imagine? At least this is how it was done two years go in 2008. It’s the craziest thing. Now, fiscal irresponsibility at the government level drives me crazy… I may be a federal employee, but I am also a tax payer, so essentially I am paying some small percentage of my own salary. But, when the agency in charge of collecting taxes is so unbelievably wasteful about their spending makes me ERG!
Lol… ah tax season. So, what do you do? Muscle through tax season every year and then get a bunch of down time for the rest of the year? That sounds nice. Before joining the service, I was in the process of starting my own event management company… sometimes I wish I had followed that path and worked for myself. And then other days I look out the window and feel thankful that I didn’t go down the path. Everything in life has it’s positives and negatives.
Anyway, good luck Asta! Make looks of money for your Sweden trip!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Hi folks! Nothin too interesting here. We had a snow day here on Monday..just what ya need after the kids are home for a week on break from school! Then yesterday my 8 yr old tossed his cookies while gettin ready to go to school. Ahhh...quiet house today! The snow just won't stop comin, tho...it's brutal out there.

I've been off my game lately..weird how motivation comes and goes with me. I'm ok, though. Hope you all have a great weekend! I'm so glad you still come and post..even when I lose my way, and stay away a bit..I'm always reading cuz I care about you guys.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tytan View Post
Day 106.
Lol… ah tax season. So, what do you do? Muscle through tax season every year and then get a bunch of down time for the rest of the year? That sounds nice.
You pretty much nailed it. The "down" time is spent doing indoor and outdoor household projects. We're always doing something to improve around here. Of course my husband has his "boat" (big groan) project that he's had since 2002 and has sank more money into than I care to think about. I use Quicken for our household accounts so I know pretty much exactly what's been spent and it's ugly, really, really ugly. And the d*** thing hasn't seen water since we bought it. Long, long sad story.

Mirage--You can lose your way. Just get back on the path. Don't get to be the longgggggg sad story of the aforementioned boat!!!! LOL!

So Spryte, where are you hanging out? Check in will ya?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:30 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Day 107.
"Boat" project... sounds like my dad. Lol. He wanted a motor boat and bought the cheapest second hand motor boat he could find… and it quick became the bane of our family’s existence for the next 20 years. Every spring he would make my brother and I “help” him de-winterize the boat… and every year it wouldn’t start… every year he made us stand around and “help” for a week while he puttered around. My dad was the same way about everything… like computers and what not. If he made us stand around and watch, I guess he felt like he was teaching us valuable life lessons. I still don’t know how to fix a boat… but I do know quite a few choice cuss words. Awesome.
My brother is now the boat owner… and he has learned from our dad’s mistakes. He stores his boat with a company in the off season that specializes in serving and de-winterizing boats… he never had a problem.
Lol. Oh the memories.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

My husband bought a lemon of a boat once, too. Luckily, he saw it for the citris that it was, and didn't put too much money into it. Last year he bought one that actually works..a duck boat, for hunting. It takes up 3/4 of the garage as it has to be put in at an angle, which really bums me out, but whatta ya gonna do? Dang thing. lol.

Thanks, Asta. "I will not become Asta's boat"...my new mantra.

Congrats on that thesis, Tytan!! Boy, that must feel good.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

If there are 2 other "doomed" boat stories just in this thread (making 3) plus one more for 1 of my clients, just think how many more are out there and how much money is being poured into these bottomless pits!!!! Makes me shudder!

Mirage reminded me I forgot to send congrats your way on your thesis Tytan. Way to go!

Guess I'd better get going. Have a great weekend all! Hope I'll hear from y'all (read that in a Southern drawl please) tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! On the thesis front, I now have 17 days to finalize my edits and then it’s it! All done… all I will have to do is defend it. Crazy.
Whelp, I’m back in Belgrade. Flew back today. Love the fact I’m back in my home… watching my tv… on my couch. I did the math, I was gone for 66 days. Erg! Thanks a long time. The really great news is my wife and the boys are flying back on Thursday!!! Normally it take about 6 weeks to get all the clearances and passports needed to return to our post… We got everything finalized in 3 and a half weeks (last Thursday)… and the only thing slowing them down is the pack out… we get to airfreight stuff back for the baby… so they have to wait for that… it’s really awesome. Until then… I’m going to relax, OD on tv shows I’ve been meaning to watch, and edit my paper.
Have a great one everybody!
-Tytan
Old 02-28-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tytan View Post
Thanks guys! Until then… I’m going to relax, OD on tv shows I’ve been meaning to watch, and edit my paper.
Have a great one everybody!
-Tytan
Did you watch The Sopranos when you were in the states? We never subscribed to HBO but as soon as it came out on NetFlix, we were on it. That was an awesome series. I so hated to see it end!!

Are you a Desperate Housewives or LOST fan? Those are 2 of my favs. In addition to The Big Bang Theory which I mentioned to you before. Sheldon just makes that show.

Congrats on the way your life is going. Enjoy the extended "up" period!!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

We're big Lost fans, Asta! That show's nuts..but I've never been able to stop watching. Never did see The Sopranos..we didn't have HBO, either. I did rent the Sex in the Cities, and the John Adams mini-series. They put out some good stuff.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Mirage: You have GOT to rent The Sopranos - in order - it is addictive..I don't know if you watched The Godfather but this is even better because you can imagine it happening today!
And the characters, and the music , they are fantastic, get the series on Net flix over a period of time. You wont regret it. I can still sing the intro song in my head!!

And Tytan, one of my favorite parts of Big Bang Theory is: "Penny, tap tap, Penny, tap,tap, Penny, tap,tap." Tell me you understand. LOL
Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Reg. The Soproanos...but now I know how it ends!!

It occurred to me today that SR is a bit like the Statue of Liberty.."...Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."
Old 03-02-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Asta, I am a huge Lost fan and I am totally digging the new season. And I am only a little ashamed to say that I like Desperate Housewives… a little more ashamed to say my wife doesn’t watch it anymore. We watched the first couple seasons together and she got bored. But I am loyal to the shows I follow… so I keep up (although I haven’t started watching this season yet… some shows I wait until the seasons over and then bust out all 24 episodes). And finally… I was addicted to Sopranos. Right now I’m watching True Blood… what a strange show… but something about it is intriguing to me.
Other HBO’s I really liked was Carnival and Entourage… and Band of Brothers. I highly recommend Band of Brothers… and the new miniseries by them called “The Pacific” looks great.
Tytan=TV Junkie.
I turned in booze for chocolate and tv. And it’s much more satisfying.
Sorry Asta, we haven’t started watching Big Bang yet. I’ll tap tap you back when I know what you’re talking about.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Another day another dollar everyone!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Is this one of those threads where people gather up as "Class of _____"? Well, I guess I am in this class, then. I stopped drinking in Nov, without much of a clue as to how I did it (after years of asking myself when the last time would be as I would shut the door behind me every night with my "replenishments"). After the days kept piling on, and I noticed it was close to 3 months in Feb, I was still asking myself how I did it and wanted to investigate into what else I should expect and wanted feel connected to the sobriety; and I ended up at this site, which everybody abbrievates as SR, for soberrecovery.com .

Now I am at 100 and some days with no drinking and am still hanging in there. I am basically fine, but on the bluesy side here and there. Somebody was asking when the "real clarity" comes back on a newer thread in the last day or two, and it got me thinking about how I have been having a LOT of recollections that play back out of nowhere all of a sudden. And a lot of the time these flashbacks take me back to around 15 years ago, which is when I think my alcoholism was starting to look like it was the real thing. I don't think I have a solid answer about when the so-called "real clarity" comes back, but I guess it is still in progress for me. Otherwise not sure why these flashbacks or thoughts back to that earlier period in my life keep entering my mind. Sometimes I think it's more of that guilt feeling that is part of the body's readjustment after cessation, and other times I think it is a bit of an obsession over getting older and how time has flown by. Inner child stuff maybe.

Anyway, I am a child of November 2009 too.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Toronto thanks for the link to this post!